Is it safe to run a ps3 in a hot environment?

Deathon6

I'm currently running my ps3 right now and the temperature in my room is 91°F (32.8°C).

My ps3 is in a well ventilated area but the fan sounds like a jet engine right now. The sun is going down right now so the temperature should start to drop into the upper 80s here soon.

But I was wondering if there is any damage that could occur by running a ps3 in a hot room? 

Does the ps3 have a fail safe that will cause it to shutdown if it reaches critical temperatures? 

• Like 1

Your question makes me glad basements are a normal thing here in Michigan. The hottest parts of summer days growing up were spent in basements playing video games until it cooled off after dinner to go back out and hang out till it was dark. 

Anyway, yes, the PS4 has thermal protection. Those fan speeds are variable and once it reaches its thermal limits for a period of time, it should shut down to cool off. 90 F isn’t too big a deal. Those CPUs are designed to run up to 180+ F for periods of time if I remember correctly.

Try to keep the PS4 near the ground, where the ambient and air temperature is the coolest and don’t play the most graphically intense games and it’ll probably just keep on running for you. 

• Like 2

Well on Sunday I'm gonna be using my ps3 system to help a friend out for few hours.. and yes definitely a stand fan or a/c on to keep the place cool.. I'm a bit scared when u hear loud tapping noise coming from ur ps3 x.x sounded like about to explode.. hence this was like my 2nd ps3 console..

Edited by Silently

12 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Keep in mind that devices like this are run in countries like Saudi Arabia, India or Egypt. They're built to last. 32.8°C is nothing to worry about.

you have that right. my system going strong even after 6 years.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Your question makes me glad basements are a normal thing here in Michigan. The hottest parts of summer days growing up were spent in basements playing video games until it cooled off after dinner to go back out and hang out till it was dark. 

Anyway, yes, the PS4 has thermal protection. Those fan speeds are variable and once it reaches its thermal limits for a period of time, it should shut down to cool off. 90 F isn’t too big a deal. Those CPUs are designed to run up to 180+ F for periods of time if I remember correctly.

Try to keep the PS4 near the ground, where the ambient and air temperature is the coolest and don’t play the most graphically intense games and it’ll probably just keep on running for you. 

PS3, not PS4. I would be more concerned depending on the model of PS3.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skateak said:

PS3, not PS4. I would be more concerned depending on the model of PS3.

11 minutes ago, Deathon6 said:

It's a slim. 

My mistake, yeah the PS3 cell processor is a bit less efficient than the PS4 cpu.

The PS3 slim had a much improved CPU over the original PS3, but the cell is still a power hog at full load and that means heat. Can of compressed air hitting all your exhaust points and especially the intake points should keep the air flow nice and even and keep it running just fine in your temps. 

• Like 1

Where I live during summer temperatures easily rise to 40ºC and above, and my PS3 never had any serious issues. I can only remember one occasion when he froze, and some games had some occasional fps drop. Keep in mind that I dont have an air conditioner, there is only a fan near him. It's a 6 years old PS3 slim. 

Got my PS3 for 6 years now. I live in a pretty hot country, and never had any issues. Just keep it clean, away from direct sunlight. Keeping it above the floor will also help it not suck in any heavy dust.

I also heard that a piece of marble has great heat dissipation, but never bought one myself.

• Like 1

Can of air can only help so much. It is useful to open the system and thoroughly clean out the dust in it, as it can get into areas of the case canned air can't reach. 

It is also a good idea to check the thermal paste on the cpu to see if it needs replacing(factory paste is usually pretty terrible quality)

• Like 1

Thank goodness you have a PS3 Slim! (like me)

I think it handles heat better than the OG model. Super Slim I would imagine would be the best at handling hot temperatures just because of the small form factor and it requiring less power and such.

Just try to keep it in an area where the fans on the system can breathe and like how others mentioned maybe keep a fan directed on it while gaming. You should be good! :)

Honestly, just open up the console, buy a can of compressed air and clean that bastard out. Ideally your PS3 is designed to work well above that kind of ambient temperature but if your system is clogged with dust/gamer residue then your console will just end up shitting the bed, especially if it gets humid. There's a lot of easy-ish tutorials on YouTube that show you exactly how and what to do, giving your console a full clean out is something I do by habit at least twice a year (after the warranty has expired obviously). It will reduce the noise in general and your console will become a hell of a lot more tolerable to higher temperatures. It'll improve the lifespan of your console, and to be honest is something you should be doing regardless. I still have a launch model (2008/9?) fatty (taken good care of that old bastard) so I can't give you specific tips with opening it up, but same logic applies. My PS3 still runs excellently with minimal noise, though only because I make a good habit to clean it regularly.

tl:dr Unless you are living in Death Valley, your console should really only be shutting down because of the temperature if you aren't cleaning it out regularly! (in my experience)

Edited by SkyMason
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Honestly, just open up the console, buy a can of compressed air and clean that bastard out. Ideally your PS3 is designed to work well above that kind of ambient temperature but if your system is clogged with dust/gamer residue then your console will just end up shitting the bed, especially if it gets humid. There's a lot of easy-ish tutorials on YouTube that show you exactly how and what to do, giving your console a full clean out is something I do by habit at least twice a year (after the warranty has expired obviously). It will reduce the noise in general and your console will become a hell of a lot more tolerable to higher temperatures. It'll improve the lifespan of your console, and to be honest is something you should be doing regardless. I still have a launch model (2008/9?) fatty (taken good care of that old bastard) so I can't give you specific tips with opening it up, but same logic applies. My PS3 still runs excellently with minimal noise, though only because I make a good habit to clean it regularly.

tl:dr Unless you are living in Death Valley, your console should really only be shutting down because of the temperature if you aren't cleaning it out regularly! (in my experience)

"gamer residue"

is this what we're calling cum now

• Like 2