Is it safe to run a ps3 in a hot environment?

Deathon6

1 minute ago, DEI2EK said:

"gamer residue"

is this what we're calling cum now

I didn't want to resort to #GamerShaming, but yes if you want to get scientific, it could be something along those lines. Games can make people extremely emotional. Who hasn't gotten emotional playing Senran Kagura for example?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

I didn't want to resort to #GamerShaming, but yes if you want to get scientific, it could be something along those lines. Games can make people extremely emotional. Who hasn't gotten emotional playing Senran Kagura for example?

Funny. In Brazil we have an urban legend of some guy who, erm, climaxed on his Dreamcast by mistake. The worse part? He described it on forums back in the day. People never got ahold of his actual identity but that didn't stop people from making him into some sort of legend. lol

EDIT: on topic, I don't mean to scare the OP but just in case your PS3 starts speeding up the fan even in mild weather, consider taking it in for maintenance or opening it up yourself if you know how to do it. Mine's fan (Super Slim) used to go crazy a while back 10 minutes into ANY game. People told me that was normal, even though I found it odd. Eventually it just started making a terrible noise that I can only compare to having an airplane take off right beside you. Sent it to maintenance, they said the fan had started coming loose and needed to be replaced. They also did replace the thermal paste just in case. Now my PS3 runs really quiet and never makes any noise on any game.

Edited by AFRising
Fail, submitted too early
  • Like 1

Now if you do decide to take your console apart to give it a good cleaning, the slim has 3 special security torx screws with a nipple on them that you'll need a specific screwdriver for, the rest are all Philip's head.

Edited by SnowxSakura

In my Livingroom it is very hot in the Summer too. It was never a Problem for my Playstations. But it could be a Problem for your TV. One of my earlier TVs got Banding, Clouding and DSE in the Summer permanently (More than 30° Celsius here inside my room). I had to bought a new TV last Year. This Year i don't play between Noon and Evening if it is to hot because of this.

Edited by Sikutai

@Deathon6

depends on model, I personally have a 60GB Launch unit so I have to turn the air-con on while temperatures outside are around 30 - 46C, if using a older model and want to get more life out of it then some maintenance and care will be required.

though as for other models such as later fat consoles such as the CECHL and up just keeping consoles somewhat maintained (if is phat or slim) and ventilated and you should be fine. Mean I use to use my old consoles for days on end and no issues. Really depends on whether or not your trying to get a good amount of years or just use until it dies. Honestly wouldn't worry too much unless you collect them or can't afford to get another one.

Edited by CHOPPEREMON
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the default PS3 fan settings to be less than ideal. The fan will not start to spin unless it gets very hot.

Anything below 60C is fine for the CPU and RSX. But the stock PS3 settings will let them get to 70C or higher before the fans kick in.

I install homebrew on my PS3 and can adjust the fan speed manually. I keep it at around 53C

• Like 1