Origins vs Odyssey

17 minutes ago, djb5f said:

And yes, I am aware of the vocal displeasure of longtime AC fans.  But like you said, that might work out in our favor.  Not sure I understand the RPG system, are you basically talking about skill trees and crafting, getting better weapons, etc. or something else?

Yeah that’s it. So everything earns you XP, which you need to level up. And no amount of skill will allow a level 10 character to take on a level 20 character etc. That and skills/abilities, etc.  Enjoy, whenever you get a chance!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

Yeah that’s it. So everything earns you XP, which you need to level up. And no amount of skill will allow a level 10 character to take on a level 20 character etc. That and skills/abilities, etc.  Enjoy, whenever you get a chance!

Yep, makes sense.  Far Cry actually had some of that.  Hunt animals to get skins to craft pouches for more ammo, etc and advance skill trees to improve skills/abilities.  Maybe not to the same degree though.

Origins is one of the worst games I can remember playing in years. Before it released, AC was my favourite franchise and Origins was such an utter trash heap that it almost completely destroyed my love for the brand. I only really played Odyssey to maintain franchise completion at that point. After doing 25 games, that'd be a sad thing to lose.

Odyssey, while easily one of the worst ACs to date, also easily surpassed Origins in just about - no, in every - regard. That's not saying much, improving on a 0/10 doesn't mean you're suddenly good, but I'd give Odyssey a solid 4 or 5/10.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, madbuk said:

Origins is one of the worst games I can remember playing in years. Before it released, AC was my favourite franchise and Origins was such an utter trash heap that it almost completely destroyed my love for the brand. I only really played Odyssey to maintain franchise completion at that point. After doing 25 games, that'd be a sad thing to lose.

Odyssey, while easily one of the worst ACs to date, also easily surpassed Origins in just about - no, in every - regard. That's not saying much, improving on a 0/10 doesn't mean you're suddenly good, but I'd give Odyssey a solid 4 or 5/10.

Clearly, you are part of that large minority who do not appreciate the (radical) changes to the AC formula. I am in no way criticizing that, just sorry to hear it. I don’t think your AC is coming back, as the consensus seems to be that the enormous number of new fans gained easily weighs up against the much smaller number of older fans that bailed. Sorry. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Grample_Gust said:

odyssey kept my attention way longer, one of the best talent tree systems in any game, made leveling up feel exciting

Early game, I'd agree. I enjoyed the fact that I could have an assassin build and actually kill enemies by stealth attacking, unlike in Origins.

Post-game/late game? I think I have 23 unspent ability points now, maybe even more, because there's not really anything that seems worthwhile to spend them on lol.

3 hours ago, madbuk said:

Post-game/late game? I think I have 23 unspent ability points now, maybe even more, because there's not really anything that seems worthwhile to spend them on lol.

Not quite so much myself, but I do recognize the problem. I wonder how much worse it will get post level 50 (I am at 43 now)...

I have just platinumed the main game. I still have all the DLC to go, but I feel I need to take a break from this game. Which is not to say that I don’t like it, merely that I thought I was closer to the end than I was and I have been OCDing to the max to get there these last couple of days... which incidentally were the hottest ever recorded ? Kuddos for my PS4 for not exploding, but not healthy. Not healthy.

Great game. Also... I didn’t do it on purpose, but as Kassandra I “rolled in the hay” countless times mostly with women. What’s that about? ???

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 1

I think overall, I liked Odyssey better. The setting, environment, characters, big battles, mythological fights, weapons, armor, ship battles, etc. all had me loving Odyssey. However, I feel like I slightly enjoyed Origins story more. It was compelling, emotional, and thrilling, Quite the journey. Both are great games, but I feel like Odyssey takes the cake. The DLC is also better in Odyssey.

I see a lot of people complaining about Odyssey’s level scaling...

...But it’s worth mentioning there is a way you can alter it without changing the difficulty you play on. After 20 hours on Hard mode, I got fed up with the 10 minute long fights. So I decided to change the difficulty, but instead found in the options a way to change the level scaling. I changed it to DEFAULT, which meant everything will be a set level (within a small range) and not scale past that.

Its in OPTIONS after hitting left directional to go to the MENU is how I found it.

IMO: ORIGINS < ODYSSEY

8 hours ago, FEARTRAIN said:

So I decided to change the difficulty, but instead found in the options a way to change the level scaling. I changed it to DEFAULT, which meant everything will be a set level (within a small range) and not scale past that.

It doesn’t work that way. It merely toggles the relative difference in level to you. For example if you reach level 70, the enemies you will encounter will also be around that level. Level up to 75 and they’ll match you. If you toggle it further down, weaker enemies might be at level 66 when you are 70 or 71 when you are 75. So in essence your progress does not matter, unlike in Origins where enemies don’t level (by default) and you could easily be level 50 where the enemy is level 5 (and no match whatsoever). In Origins you can turn level scaling ON (by default it is off) in Odyssey you cannot turn it OFF completely. 

• Like 2

I have to say, for being developped almost at the same time, that Odyssey feels like an incredible glow up of Origins. I am a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed saga, but as many people, I was only playing for the historical settings at this point because the games brought close to none new elements to the gameplay. Origins was a nice surprise. The change was complicated at first but you learn (especially if you played HZD). Even though I consider Origins a good game, Odyssey is just on another level for me. It's just so explorable, you want to see all the places, and when you develop your abilities and weapons, combat becomes so much fun! I have stealth ability to the max as well, so I can sneak up on some of the hardest opponents and kill them / almost kill them effectively. I also spent a lot of time in photo mode, which I can say I've never cared for in any game before. I just believe this game is really underappreciated, possibly because of the influence of previous AC games.

Unlike many people, I feel really passionately about it. At some point, a saga's gotta change, you can't keep the same flavour for dozens of games. Origins and Odyssey saved it for me. 

Edited by HummelsSmythe

You’re right it was coincidence that it became more manageable (it does after level 20 and upgrade spear). They can only fall up to 4 levels behind (on LIGHT setting). DEFAULT just sets to the difficulty you have selected. It seems at the start of the game everything is damage sponges and combat takes forever. But once you are past that slow start, it’s better to have level scaling at HEAVY as it effects the level of loot you get as well. 

Edited by FEARTRAIN

I think it's hard to directly compare the two. Granted they are so very similar when set next to the other titles in the franchise, but they seemed to tackle two marvelously different challenges.

Origins - An AC Uplift

I felt like Origins tried to do some new things. Revamp the franchise a little. In my opinion, it had a little FarCry in it. Animal combat was something that AC hadn't really touched on. Sure farming of hunting materials had been important at times, but the first time you were out for a swim and an alligator chased you down was terrifying. The fusion of Isu tech into the ancient world was a stunning juxtaposition. Manipulation of time was a fun addition via meditation. I thoroughly enjoyed the revamped combat system. I know the word "Assassin" is in the franchise title, but I've always been more of a Leroy Jenkins. Origins made that lifestyle choice much more viable.

Odyssey - Pushing Boundaries

Odyssey took a lot of things the franchise had done and turned the volume up to eleven.

Spoiler

Comfy fighting alligators now? Good, good. I'd like to introduce you to Mister Minotaur. Do you miss elaborate sea combat? We've re-thought sea combat a bit. Try our new ship. It can be used to cut other ships in half. Also, FLAMETHROWERS!!!

Aesthetically, I believe it to be the best product to date. Odyssey was absolutely gorgeous. Whether you were watching a sunset over the Greek Isles, or simply Spartan Kicking some poor bastard off a cliff... it was beautiful. And that brings up Spartan Kicking, which if you've never used it to punt someone off a cliff, please. Do yourself a favor. The RPG elements and customization was also an interesting twist. Although, I didn't explore it thoroughly enough to be able to speak on it. All my points are in the warrior tree. Leroy Jenkins, baby.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i liked both. id say they're equal... i enjoyed the pyramids more though but the combat in Odyssey was more finely tuned.  Odyssey map however i felt was too big. eliminate maybe 15% of it? maybe 20%?

overall for enjoyment i will go Odyssey. Kassandra was cool. Bayek was boring af.

id give origins a 7.5, Odyssey an 8

On 04/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, LegacyJKO09 said:

i liked both. id say they're equal... i enjoyed the pyramids more though but the combat in Odyssey was more finely tuned.  Odyssey map however i felt was too big. eliminate maybe 15% of it? maybe 20%?

overall for enjoyment i will go Odyssey. Kassandra was cool. Bayek was boring af.

id give origins a 7.5, Odyssey an 8

Good points. Kassandra was serious eye candy. 

• Like 1

As a Greek history and mythology buff, and also blood I guess, since Naples is for "New City" I pulled the trigger and bought the whatever edition's name that had AC3 Remastered and the Season Pass, I'm playing it on another blank  account right now  to synch later on as I started too many games lately and it seems  this one will take a very long time, and I gotta say, I'm disappointed that Ubisoft nailed the Action RPG part much much better than Square  with FFXV. Hopefully I get to meet some mythological creatures, Ubi already forgot the animus and present part, so, might as well go full-on fantasy.