Other Spider-Man games worth playing?

Blonde-Boy01

Particularly ones like Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time and those 2 Amazing Spider-Man movie games. I found a place where I can buy them cheap. Are they worth playing? Do any of them match or even beat out the 2018 game in any areas? And even if they don't, are they worth playing regardless?

28 minutes ago, Blonde-Boy01 said:

Particularly ones like Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time and those 2 Amazing Spider-Man movie games. I found a place where I can buy them cheap. Are they worth playing? Do any of them match or even beat out the 2018 game in any areas? And even if they don't, are they worth playing regardless?

The PS2 games are worth playing. Can pretty much tell you Shattered and Edge are a bore in comparison. Haven't played the Amazing games yet, but can pretty much bet you there hadn't been a 'great' Spider-Man game between the PS4 one and the PS2 ones. 

If you want to stick with PS3, I'd suggest trying out Web of Shadows or Spider-Man 3. Both were pretty fun imo, but don't come with trophies. They were also the last Spider-Man games developed by Treyarch (who were famed for their Spider-Man 1 and 2 [also nice games] on earlier consoles). Even though they don't have trophies, they're well worth playing! After Treyarch stopped making the games, the quality dropped off imo. Glad to see Spider-Man back in its former glory.

• Like 1

I strongly disagree with the guy dissing The Amazing Spider-Man. I found it a blast, got the plat on PS3 and PS Vita. (wish they had remastered it, I would've done it again :P) The story iirc takes place after the first Amazing Spider-Man movie. Non-canon, not that it matters since those movies are dead anyway. lol

The combat is a Spider-Man version of Batman AA's combat basically. Even down to how some of the stealth systems work (webbing from below is very much like stringing up bad guys in AA as Bats). I loved crawling along walls and ceilings and jumping down to web stuff. It's really fun to stealth the level sections.

The sequel is so lame though. You get punished for not doing the lame crimes all the way across town, and they pop up all the time while just trying to get from one mission to the other. There's just really dumb mechanics that bog down the game. It's hard to really explain, and it's been a good while since I played it. Yeah, it's Spider-Man's fault some dude half way across town was mugged. Not the, you know, mugger. And it's Spider-Man's fault that one person wasn't saved in a fire... even though he saved 8 other people or whatever. It's not like there are firemen in the world to help out or anything. Hero/Menace system is fucking dreadful. When the devs talked about it before the game came out it sounded terrible, and it was even worse than I imagined.

It's just so annoying. Huge disappointment that game was. I would say to avoid it. But I never finished it so maybe it's less shitty the further in you get.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Incredibly generic and not worth anyone's time IMO.

Seeing as that description is equally as applicable to the movies themselves, wouldn't logic dictate that they are actually faithful adaptations, then? ?

• Like 3

All of them have something special to them that makes them worth playing at least once.

Shattered Dimensions has the varied and colorful aesthetics and boss fights with each of the different Spider-Men. The variety in locations and enemies is greater than in 2018.

Edge of Time just focuses on and fleshes out two of the Spideys more with more unique abilities and attacks for both, but I still think it takes a step backwards due to going from 4 to JUST 2.

I'll be the second to defend the 1st Amazing Spider-Man game; it isn't as visually polished as 2018, but the swinging and combat are still alot of fun; the special finishers are probably the flashiest in this game than in any other.

The one thing I think all of these games do better than 2018 is the combat. The move-sets are flashy, but are also straightforward and easy to use, relying on the player getting up in the enemies' face and using Spider-Man's strength rather than gadgets. This also means that Spider-Man doesn't go down easy like a bitch the way he does in 2018. Also, there is no over-reliance on stealth, and no mandatory playing as boring side-characters.

• Like 1

I feel these particular two are worth noting because nobody's mentioned them yet, but Spider-man and Spider-man 2: Enter Electro for the PS1 were real classic Spider-man games before the open world Spider-man games took over. If you have at the very least a PS3 you can play them if you don't have a PS1. Definitely those two, but then obviously Spider-man 2 and to a lesser extent the first movie had some memorable levels. Ultimate Spider-man's great if you loved Spider-man 2 as well, but it's not really one of my top favorites. A lot of people loved Web of Shadows, but in my personal opinion I thought it was one of the most bland and repetitive Spider-man games. Now Shattered Dimensions is definitely one of my most favorite linear Spider-man games alongside the PS1 titles, but don't waste your breath with Edge of Time. The Amazing Spider-man games get a tiny bit too much hate, but they're just alright. Obviously Marvel's Spider-man though is the best one since Spider-man 2. So aside from Marvel's Spider-man, if you're looking to go back, try the 2 PS1 titles, Spider-man 2 and maybe the first movie and Ultimate Spider-man as well, and Shattered Dimensions as top priority.

• Like 1

Spider-Man 2 on PS2 is my favourite. You get amazing web swinging and also have Bruce Campbell as a sarcastic narrator. The first movie game isn’t bad but the controls are quite clunky, swinging looks awful and you can’t explore the ground. Though you could play as different characters in that one which was pretty cool, especially playing as Goblin on his hover board. With SM2 I’m still more impressed with the variation of crimes, that was one aspect of Marvel’s Spider-Man that I was disappointed with.

Amazing Spider-Man isn't great, but it’s decent enough. Found the story a bit bland but the swinging and combat was pretty good and you get a choice of different costumes.

• Like 1

I really like The Amazing Spider-Man. Had an original story that continued after the first and felt fun. I don't recommend the second. I didn't find it as enjoyable and at times, frustrating. The web swinging mechanics that were easy and simple to use in the first one were made to be complicated in the second by using two buttons to swing instead of one. 

• Like 1

I loved SPIDERMAN 2 for PS2, it was open world and most resembles MARVEL'S SM 2018. However, i'd find it hard to actually recommend that or anyother SM game for anyone whose already played and completed SM 2018. As it set the bar so high and pretty much surpassed every previous SM game in every aspect easily. Plus they are all 5-18 years old, with all average to bad reviews given at the time they released. Which normally games that go for realistic cutting edge graphics for the time don't age well (usually after 5 years) vs. a cartoonish abstract game. 

So in the end, i'd only recommend if you can get em super cheap or free if possible. Cause it most likely won't scratch that SM 2018 itch ya probably got lol 

Edited by FEARTRAIN