Shadiochao

What's going on with this site?

170 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, freddie1989 said:

No, the site is about way more than that. It is also about community and a love for gaming. Why have threads about movies and sports etc, that makes jack all difference to stats.

I personally do not care about rarity, leaderboards or any of that stuff either. It makes zero difference to me, because I only care about having a handy list of all my own stats. Apparently it does not make any difference to you either and that's fine, let's shake hands. But it does make a difference for a lot of other members on this site. So why rally against something that would have zero impact on you or me either way, but would improve the enjoyment of a lot of other members? Please explain.

32 minutes ago, freddie1989 said:

... whilst at the same time auto-popping trophies and gloating about it...

Aw, you remembered <3

Edit: Haha, okay then!

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
with his sides adequately split

@Sly Ripper Seems like the auto-updates for members have been running for the last 24 hours and the numbers are being adjusted accordingly. Can we expect non-members to be enabled today as well?

One thing I've noticed about updating of profiles is that simply visiting the profile can trigger it to update.

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

What's the point of coming to this thread if you're going to act like this? You're not only missing the point and refusing to listen to people who are explaining it to you, but you're attacking some strawman motivation that isn't even being argued for here. But even if it was, so what? People have different motivations for collecting trophies or using the site. Regardless of motivation, I think it's fair to say that if a feature has been disabled for 7 months, people should be allowed to express dissatisfaction without having to justify it to some random person who's not only irrelevant in the decision, but has already made their mind up about what they think.

2 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I personally do not care about rarity, leaderboards or any of that stuff either. It makes zero difference to me, because I only care about having a handy list of all my own stats. Apparently it does not make any difference to you either and that's fine, let's shake hands. But it does make a difference for a lot of other members on this site. So why rally against something that would have zero impact on you either way, but would improve the enjoyment of a lot of other members? Please explain.

Lets just call it a day on this one gents as we clearly have to agree to disagree. I'd say I am as irrelevant in the decision as you are, I just didn't feel the need to vent on it. Happy gaming.

Just now, freddie1989 said:

Lets just call it a day on this one gents as we clearly have to agree to disagree. I'd say I am as irrelevant in the decision as you are, I just didn't feel the need to vent on it. Happy gaming.

I say you're irrelevant to it because you clearly have no interest in the problem, you're just here to express disapproval at people caring about their trophy rarity, or something. What you think about why people want this fixed doesn't matter, people simply want it fixed and that's their business. It doesn't affect you, so why are you judging people for it?

Just now, Shadiochao said:

I say you're irrelevant to it because you clearly have no interest in the problem, you're just here to express disapproval at people caring about their trophy rarity, or something. What you think about why people want this fixed doesn't matter, people simply want it fixed and that's their business. It doesn't affect you, so why are you judging people for it?

I presume you can't agree to disagree then. I am not judging anyone for it, clearly you have an issue and that's up to you. I couldn't give a crap about whether its fixed or not, all the great things about this site that bring me here are working just fine and I feel like people are too busy thinking about the odd thing that doesn't work to see that. I am going to leave it at that!!

Posted (edited)

So I understand that, due to changes brought about by this thread, lots of people's profiles are being updated. I was expecting to drop down the leaderboard as a result (not that I care overmuch or have an impressive ranking, I just like to track) but it seems I've shot up the world ranks by about 500 places. Really confused. Have lots of people been removed? I see everyone around me have big green arrows too. Can someone explain?

Oh, and as for the debate, better stats are better, but it's not like it costs anything to take part.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

6 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

So I understand that, due to changes brought about by this thread, lots of people's profiles are being updated. I was expecting to drop down the leaderboard as a result (not that I care overmuch or have an impressive ranking, I just like to track) but it seems I've shot up the world ranks by about 500 places. Really confused. Have lots of people been removed? I see everyone around me have big green arrows too. Can someone explain?

Oh, and as for the debate, better stats are better, but it's not like it costs anything to take part.

Was your profile being updated regularly before now?

The only other thing I can think of is that loads of people hid their trophies this year. But it'd need to be a significant amount to offset the amount of people who have overtaken you on the leaderboards, so it seems unlikely

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, thefourfoldroot said:

A large amount of the profiles that werent updating are probably inactive, so when they finally got updated it added a lot of inactivity to their stats which dropped them way down. At least that's my bet.

Edit: looking at this now that it's not as early and I'm more awake I'm realizing that your profile being inactive and your profile not updating would basically mean the same for your leaderboard position. Woops lol my bad.

Edited by danceswithsloths

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

Was your profile being updated regularly before now?

The only other thing I can think of is that loads of people hid their trophies this year. But it'd need to be a significant amount to offset the amount of people who have overtaken you on the leaderboards, so it seems unlikely

No, I updated after my last trophy. I'm not bothered, it's only a good thing I guess, just wondering why I shot ahead suddenly when the opposite was expected.

1 minute ago, danceswithsloths said:

A large amount of the profiles that werent updating are probably inactive, so when they finally got updated it added a lot of inactivity to their stats which dropped them way down. At least that's my bet.

Fantastic to see really, If they are inactive then they shouldnt still be holding those spots on the board.

Oh, didn't know inactivity impacted anything. Seems a bit unfair on them to be honest. Do you know after how long someone is considered inactive?

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure that's not it. There were some issues with profile updates and some people lost their trophies. This could result in massive jumps in the leaderboards.

See here for example, thread from 8 hours ago:

edit. Just to be clear, those who lost their trophies dropped in leaderboard. Those who didn't (majority) went up.

Edited by HusKy

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I'm pretty sure that's not it. There were some issues with profile updates and some people lost their trophies. This could result in massive jumps in the leaderboards.

Oh ok, I guess I'll have an equally big fall shortly then lol. I'm glad inactivity doesn't impact anything though.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, HusKy said:

My profile shot up 1000 places in the last day, and i did not have any trophies missing from my profile, i know this to be a fact.

15 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

No, I updated after my last trophy. I'm not bothered, it's only a good thing I guess, just wondering why I shot ahead suddenly when the opposite was expected.

Oh, didn't know inactivity impacted anything. Seems a bit unfair on them to be honest. Do you know after how long someone is considered inactive?

Inactivity doesnt impact anything (as far as i know) i just assume they are inactive based off the fact that they were not self-updating their profiles like the active trophy hunters were. Given, there's other reasons why they might not care to update their profiles but this was my guess.

3 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

My profile shot up 1000 places in the last day, and i did not have any trophies missing from my profile, i know this to be a fact.

The guy in the thread I linked dropped down because he lost his trophies. You went up because you did not.

It's the ~1000 people out of ~117k who had their trophies borked which resulted in you going up.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, HusKy said:

The guy in the thread I linked dropped down because he lost his trophies. You went up because you did not.

It's the ~1000 people out of ~117k who had their trophies borked which resulted in you going up.

ah, i see, that makes sense. so now that his issue is fixed my profile will go back down then, correct?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, danceswithsloths said:

ah, i see, that makes sense. so now that his issue is fixed my profile will go back down then, correct?

It'll take a bit, but most likely. As for me, I don't really care about the leaderboards. 

Yea, even though updates are running, things won't be 100% perfect, but what is?

Edited by MidnightDragon

If you all can't even agree on what the problems are, then how are they ever supposed to get fixed?

Just now, dmm121182 said:

If you all can't even agree on what the problems are, then how are they ever supposed to get fixed?

Welcome to the Internet. :P 

Just now, MidnightDragon said:

Welcome to the Internet. :P 

Thanks. I just got here. Nice place this internet is. :P 

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, dmm121182 said:

A problem for one person is not a problem for everyone. Whether that problem is recognised or made to seem unimportant is really a measure of empathy. Some, for example, do not care that a lack of updates make statistics on this site next to worthless. This does not mean everybody can't see there is a reliability problem with the stats, just that some people are here for the forums or just to keep a record of their own trophies without context or comparison and so do not care about it.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

Posted (edited)

Damn I didn't had a clue that probably 90% of all profiles here haven't been updated since over 6 months. I'm glad it's working again. I already noticed some rarity changes in a few nice platinums so thumbs up for that. 

Features I would like to see implemented most at this point:

- Series Feature

- VR Tag

- Rarity Leaderboard

- Ribbon System

Some people mentioned that the payment for a lifetime premium is next to nothing and Sly doesn't make enough money from it. I tend to agree with this and I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription, if I knew that more updates would happen.

Edited by Sinthoras_96

Posted (edited)

@Sly Ripper

It looks like a good chunk of member profiles got updated. According to "WayBackMachine", the "Popular Games this Week" all recieved a player bump of 300-900 players. 

However I still find members on the leaderboard every now and then, which still have the issue with "Updating Soon". Does it still take some time to cover all profiles with auto-updating, or is there an issue that prevents those profiles from updating at all? When I manually update them, its fine, no trophies hidden or whatsoever.

And is there a date for enabling auto-updates for non-members soon? I know you've mentioned that it maybe wont work without issues and support from SIE.

While I have your attention, is there a chance that platinum and 100% rarities of games get fixed any time soon? For example Crypt of the Necrodancer or Nuclear Throne have platinum / 100% rarities that dont actually match with the gameleaderboard. 

Nuclear Throne 100%: 28

Nuclear Throne 100% leaderboard: 21

Crypt platinum: 11

Crypt platinum leaderboard: 6 

Edited by Mori

On 18-7-2019 at 1:44 AM, Undead Wolf said:

I'm glad someone said it. Feels like any good new suggestions just get ignored and the promised updates/improvements to the site take forever to actually surface. The PSN name changes are the most recent example of course. I guess most people consider that over and done with now, but for the people who have written guides for the site, they still don't link over to the new profile. I get that it's not high priority since it only affects a small minority of users, but we also happen to be some of the biggest contributors to the site, and it would be nice to at least get some kind of confirmation that this is still being looked into.

People that have been affected by this can ask a guide team member to add the new username as a contributor to the guide. That way they'll regain control over those and once the issue is fixed, they can remove themselves as a contributor.