Your Favorite Game of 2019 So Far (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Hey folks! Hope you're having a good summer so far! 

As some of you know, @ChernobylNinja and I run a podcast titled, "Plat Cast" where we ask you fellow PlayStation addicts questions, and read your answers on our show.

This week we're asking you all, "What is your favorite game of 2019 (so far)?"

Have you found any hidden gems? Was there one game you thought you wouldn't like but ended up enjoying? Let us know! 

Also, be sure to join our discord to talk shop about trophy hunting and literally anything else with our community! You can find it here at: https://t.co/ayqM2pr6eq?amp=1

Thanks gang! Looking forward to your replies! :)

Resident Evil 2

As a big fan of old RE games I didn't have much faith in this remake. It wasn't even on my radar till the trailers/gameplay vids came out close to release and didn't pre-order the game till the very last moment. I think Capcom really did a great job with the game. Haven't enjoyed a game this much in quite some time.

For me its Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, hands down. I got into the FromSoftware games for the very first time just last year, with Bloodborne being my very first from them and then onto Dark Souls 3. Loved both of them! Sekiro is even higher up for me than either of those. The gameplay is top and I love the setting of the game. Looking forward at the rest of the games coming out, I personally do not see anything beating it out for my game of the year.

• Like 1

While NEW games are always the highlight of any real gaming interest, not every gamer is running on the newest hardware or standing in line at their favorite gaming emporium on launch day to get their latest pre-ordered game. Sometimes a backlog is just so massive that there isn't a justification to splurge for a new system or games, especially when you have to provide for a family and a household. That being said, I have neither a current generation system nor any games released on 2019. However, I have been playing games new to me this whole time and have two that have been my primary enjoyment for most of this year. 

My runner-up would have to be Skyrim: The Legendary Edition. Even though I've sporadically messed around with Skyrim in the past, I've gotten more dedicated to working through the multiple story missions, side story treks and overall leveling up of my main character recently. Originally released 11/11/11, the depth of the game is staggering, especially if you match it up with some of the titles I started out playing back in the 70s. The base game alone is enough to occupy one for months, not to mention the add-on content. Nevertheless, no matter how impressive the game is, it is just as rivaled by the glitches and bugs that have remained even after multiple updates and versions released over the years. I've been stymied in more than a few story paths because of doors not opening after all of the requirements have been met. While that might be "Game over, man. Game over," for an OCD Completion Freak, I've just gone a different route and hope that the blocked pathways will open themselves back up after I've met some other requirement. So far, it has been my most enjoyable RPG I've played in the past few years.

My winner at the 1/2 way point of the year has to be de Blob 2. A sequel to game that most hadn't experienced before, this version (published 02/22/11) has the feel of an original even though it isn't. Considered by many as a Cult Classic, the gameplay and mechanics are very original and take gamers in a direction that they probably have never gone. Players assume the personage of a hue-absorbing Blob looking to re-colorize a washed-out world done by the evil protagonist; Comrade Black, the villain from the first game. The level designs and the platforming are challenging without being frustrating. The unique use of color puts everything on a whole new perspective and adds a level of strategy not seen in many games. Even though it was a completely different genre, this game somewhat reminds me of Okami, Magic Pengel and the sequel Grafitti Kingdom, and if you have played any of those hidden gems you'll understand why I've referenced them. This is one game everyone should sample and even if you find out that it's not your cup o' tea, you will have to admit that it is unlike anything else you've played before.

My honorable mention has to be Saints Row 3 (originally published 11/15/11). I've just scratched the surface and have only progressed a small percentage so far, but I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed a sandbox game as much since I played Mafia II. I'll definitely be picking up the rest of the series and be finishing, at least, the story modes for all of them. 

Related image

A Plague Tale: Innocence and Trover Saves the Universe.

They’re completely different ends of the spectrum in they’re genre and tone, so they’re not really comparable and I can’t decide which one I liked better. But I loved every minute I was playing both of them.

I'm going to say Resident Evil 2. My opinion might change soon, as my Judgment copy should arrive next week (damn international shipping lol).

I still want to play other 2019 releases, like Shenmue 3 and Control. Might give Days Gone a chance sometime as well, just waiting for all challenges to be released.

I have not really purchased and played any of this years new releases, I am still catching up with last years releases. 

However best game i have played so far is Trails of Cold Steel on my Vita. 

Otherwise I have revisted Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy VII both very enjoyable experiences which I am soon to platinum too! (hopefully) 

The only game I’ve yet to play that has released this year was Days Gone. Despite what reviews had said about the game I liked it more than I thought I would have. I guess you can say it fulfilled that open world itch that I haven’t had since I beat Red Dead Redemption II. The horde mechanic was great and I loved driving around with the bike and Deacon was cool. Even if the story was mediocre at best I think the sequel has potential after what most games face as growing pains with their first new IP installments.

Haven't played a lot of new releases, but two that I have and enjoyed immensely were Sekiro and Trover Saves the Universe

Sekiro took all the things I love about Soulsborne games, streamlined it, and cranked it up to 10. I got my ass handed to me over and over but kept coming back for more.

Trover, as a Rick and Morty fan, was the most hilariously fun time I've had with a game in a long time. I can't wait for the DLC to release.

Of the few 2019 releases, including remasters, my favorite game so far is Metro Exodus. Most people that know me would think it would be Kingdom Hearts III, but it wasn't as solid an entry to the series as Exodus was to Metro in my opinion. 

When it comes to games I played, but were released before 2019, Warriors Orochi 4. I enjoyed the mix of gods and I enjoyed the improvements on gameplay and how smooth the series remains. 

• Like 1

Definitely Judgment. A friend from my discord server convinced me to play it as an introduction to the Yakuza series and I can't thank him enough! Found another favorite series! I don't think anything else coming this year will be able to top it for me, but The Outer Worlds might come close.

If you want to know about games new to me too, rather than just new this year, I'm going to also include Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. So much fun, and it and Primal have convinced me to give the rest of the series a chance even though I normally don't like FPS games!

Edited by Hiyo_Rain
Better formatting