What are the rules that define your own trophy hunting?

TheYuriG

Hola  I have just seen that 1500+ Ultra rares you have and what a good topic from someone that experienced . Hi  from Australia me am a casual  platinum hunter and my only rules are having fun and always do a blind playthrough with no guides. 

The 7th rule about only you earning the trophies also is Important .

My friend finished 3 telltale games for me.But I had platinumed the games  before 

• Like 1

These aren't really rules just things I see as either a waste of money or just a pathetic thing to do so I don't do them: Microtransactions, stacking and cheating.

Only real rule I have is only plat games that I enjoyed.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 1

I'm trying to implement more rules for enjoying myself:

- keep joining events that force me to start new games regardless of completion but

- take some time every two months or so to clean up 

- don't be afraid to try something new

- don't ever put the trophy list first; if I want to play a game, I will play it

- no stacks; I want to play more games not the same ones over again

- prioritize PS4 over PS3/vita versions of games because I'm scared of having to replace the consoles if they crap out on me

- try to start games that I actually feel like playing (though lately that's been tough and haven't had much motivation to stick to one game)

- no wasting money on those EZPZ garbage games. I have a few easier games on my list that I genuinely enjoyed but I will not whore my list out

- don't buy games just because the characters are cute!!! Seriously

And no. 1 rule:

- if it feels like a chore, don't force it. Take a break until the next clean up. Games are supposed to be fun

Edited by Upendo_Vitani
  • Like 4

I don't have any particular rules, well now that I am middle aged, I have a few

- Easy games for easy trophies is usually fine but never play shit games for easy trophies

- I'm middle aged so my time to game has been drastically reduced, if I can't play it at my leisure then I avoid it. I might want years to play through the game. that have any online trophies or ones tied to a server that could potentially make 100% gone forever when said servers close (Hi there Burnout PS3)

- Avoid games that drip feed DLC constantly, I want to finish a game when I decide too (Hi there Killing Floor 2)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Good list. Some I agree and others I don’t, but that’s expected with setting personal rules/boundaries around trophy hunting. :) I consider myself a tenacious and persistent trophy hunter and aspiring completionist. I applaud and recognize others achievements and milestones. I strive to build strong relationships and practice trophy hunting etiquette when boosting MP trophies. I remain positive in online forums and chats with others. This is all with the goal of having fun, finding personal satisfaction and meeting new people who are like minded. The community keeps me motivated. Thanks for opening the discussion. 

• Like 1

I consider a game's value. I look at the price, the reviews, the difficulty, and how long to platinum, and I try to determine if it's worth my time. A game like XCOM 2, which is extremely good, extremely hard, and extremely long is definitely worth the $60 price tag. (It's almost criminal that it was free on PS+ last year.) A game like Star Wars Battlefront, which got mixed reviews and doesn't really appeal to me because of the multiplayer aspect, is not. Poorly-made games that give out easy platinums have no value.

Beyond that, though... I dunno. I play games that I think I'll like. If it's a series, I usually try to start at the beginning, but sometimes I'll jump to the newest game if it looks the most polished. I like to have only one active game at a time (and maybe 1-2 more in the trophy clean-up stage). I don't stack. I like a blind playthrough first (unless it's going to ruin my enjoyment of the game). Boosting is my preferred way of dealing with multiplayer. Mostly, I just like to take my time. I'm usually done with a game by the time I get the platinum, and I like to be able to look back and say it was worth it.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

The only rule with regards to trophy hunting I have is to get at least 1 platinum a month.

Outside of that I just try to have fun while playing games, no microtransactions, boosting if required, definitely rubber-banding if required. I don't really prioritise games. Just play about 3 at a time and if I don't like one I drop it.

Have fun

Try for 100%, but don't torture myself over it. It's not worth it

Do the multiplayer first, if applicable

Play what I want, what others think be damned

Minimize stacking (have some stacks, but not many). If you wanna stack, that's your prerogative.

Fuck microtransactions

No hiding stuff...some things I wish weren't there, but it's part of my trophy record, so it all should be seen, both good and bad

Edited by MidnightDragon

My main rule is:

have fun

After all that’s what the object of video games are. If a game is fun but the trophy set is outside of my ability, I don’t care. I’ll play it anyway and get as many as I can. If a boost will be fun, I’ll boost it. If it’s a horrendous grind I’m steering clear. 

The only other rule i have is no cheating. Literally what is the point. 

• Like 3

My 8 simple rules:

1. No EZPZ/Ratalaika/pay 5$ to get plat games.

2. No stacking, but I'll play EVERY game (if I didn't complete it on another system) in the series, including games that don't have trophies (like Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

3. I prefer games that don't have any kind of Level/Mission/Story/Side Story/Bonus DLC trophies.

4. No sports, strategy, manager or racing simulation games.

5. I'll try my best to get 100%, but if I don't get it I'm not gonna kill myself trying to get it.

6. Boosting all the way for multiplayer trophies.

7. No multiplayer only games like Fortnite or Apex Legends.

8. Always follow 5P's of trophy hunting (my design):

-Preparation

-Precision

-Practice 

-Patience

-Platinum

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demon--Prototype said:

"You know what, i held R2 for hours like a real man and didn't let some weak ass rubber band do it for me"

"No worries Yuri, my toddler knocked the controller off my bench and it landed on R2 and when i came back from the party the boost was done"

"See, i knew you weren't good enough"

"My apologies Yuri"

I'm not on the judging side of this discussion, I just really never thought anyone would be against automating stuff like this. I'm certainly not against it myself, since it should just automate (mostly) pointless grinds. I don't usually turbo anything that is close to being completed after doing everything else, per example.

4 hours ago, knoef_NL said:

What a baloney rules. I mean, what's the need to complete all games 100% ( in terms of trophies)?

I don't understand, it feels like you are critizicing my personal rules when I clearly stated

9 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

Do note that every rule i post below define how I, TheYuriG, trophy hunt and none of you should follow them, unless you want to. I'm not here to tell you what is right and what is wrong in trophy hunting and neither should you.

Did I misunderstand you?

3 hours ago, kenseizenkai said:

3. I prefer games that don't have any kind of Level/Mission/Story/Side Story/Bonus DLC trophies.

I wonder what is the type of DLC trophies that you prefer?

Everyone else, thanks for your replies. It's nice to be able to understand how different people face the same hobby. Quite a fun read, specially for the ones that made a list like in the opening post.

• Like 3

1. I only buy games I think I’ll enjoy. Definitely the most important rule for me, although I can be wrong sometimes. Looking at you Trials of the Blood Dragon.

2. Always go for 100%.

3. No stacking.

4. Don’t become a UR hunter. I’ve been tempted many times to up my UR count by playing some easy UR games I’m not interested in. So far I’ve resisted that temptation. It also contradicts my number 1 rule.

5. Due to my hate for full game speedruns I just won’t buy games anymore that has these kind of trophies.

6. I don’t care about ingame exploits, boosting, rubberbanding, etc... As long as it’s allowed, I’m making use of it.

• Like 2