What are the rules that define your own trophy hunting?

TheYuriG

Thanks for all the replies. Some rules mentioned reminded me that I have other practices that I had forgotten to add before, so I added them now.

My "blind run" rule usually works against me, Mirror's Edge Catalyst being the last offender with collectibles inside missions which will only be saved upon completion.

However, this greatly helped me enjoying The Surge, which i played mostly blind, except for a few peeks at the missables. I still managed to miss the father/daughter side quest and had to replay 95% of the game again, but I loved every second of it, game was amazing.

Edited by TheYuriG
breaking down the massive block of text for readability
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Thanks for all the replies. Some rules mentioned reminded me that I have other practices that I had forgotten to add before, so I added them now.

My "blind run" rule usually works against me, Mirror's Edge Catalyst being the last offender with collectibles inside missions which will only be saved upon completion.

However, this greatly helped me enjoying The Surge, which i played mostly blind, except for a few peeks at the missables. I still managed to miss the father/daughter side quest and had to replay 95% of the game again, but I loved every second of it, game was amazing.

Happened to me as well, just added this fourth rule to my post. I usually do a blind playthrough first, especially with games that either require multiple playthroughs anyways, like with Dark Souls, The Surge, etc..., or for games without missables, like Hollow Knight. However, I mostly check on a guide whether there are missables or not. I would not have wanted to play Red Read Redemption 2 a second time, to be honest, so I kept track of missables while trying to remain as spoiler-free as possible. 

Nice topic! Has been an interesting read so far :)

• Like 2

The rules have change over the years for me and I'm a completely different hunter now to then

Rules for me a few years back was

1. Wait for sale on easy plats/trophy games and don't pay full price

2. It has to have a guide somewhere on the game because I don't want to get stuck on route to plat

3. Didn't care about spoilers as long as I have a road map to the plat

4. I had to get 8 trophies a day as a trophy hunter

5. Don't worry about the 100% as long as I have the plat

6. If it's too grindy I don't play it

7. Don't play games that trophies require multiple playthroughs

8. Never do  blind playthrough because of time wasting which could be used to play other games

9. Play any stupid games just to keep the Trophies per day rate above 8

10. Make print outs of the maps of the collectibles before hand for the trophy specific collectible guide. 

Rules for me now are

1. Buy the game and not worry about price to support the Devs (ex Salt & Sanctuary)

2. Play games that I enjoy and that have a challenge. 

3. Don't play easy plat/trophy games just for the sake of it.

4. Do Grindy plats/trophies for more satisfaction

5. Look at guide before hand in case of missable

6, Play games for trophies that have multiple playthroughs thats actually enjoyable 

7. Try play most games 1 blind playthrough without the worries of trophies

8. Try and help other with trophies online. (ex Dark Souls co-op bosses and areas)

Last rule for me as a trophy hunter now is try not to judge gamers that go for 30 min plats as we all have been there and it's each to his own. 

Thats some of my basic rules

EDIT:

9. First go for the Multiplayer trophies before going for the offline trophies where possible 

Edited by DF007gamer
  • Like 2

Im pretty lenient with mine

1. The game must be able to platinum in under 150 hours, otherwise I know I won't bother. The longest for me was FF13 at 137 hours, and that was painful enough. 

2. I must enjoy the game enough that I would do a second playthrough

3. No online or multiplayer trophies.... can't be bothered with these

4. Start the trophy run from the very start, careful planning to try and get as much done in the first playthrough so I won't have to go back tracking. I don't do blind runs and like to be as quick and efficient with trophies as possible.

5. I don't play sports, racing, fighting, FPS or online rpgs. I stick to regular RPGs, VNs, adventure, platform and simulation.

6. The platinum must be attainable purely on single player without needing online or multiplayer be it local or online

7. Can involve some RNG but so much that it takes hours or on end or is incredibly frustrating (e.g. Disgaea 4, FFX)

8. In Visual novels and otome games, I must read the story and only skip parts that Ive already read. No buying VNs just to skip through the entire thing for a plat in an hour. 

9. Always strive to get the platinum in Tales and FF games, being two series close to my heart. 

10. No DLC or microtransactions required for the platinum. They should just be optional extras but should not penalty the trophy hunter and their wallet. 

• Like 3

I am new to PS4 and was fun reading what everyone thinks about trophies.

Im my case, different from everyone else, I made rules to not let myself go to deep in trophy hunting. Now that Im "old" (Im not even 30 yet) I dont have as much free time as I used to so all the time I get must be doing something fun and trophy hunting can be fun but can also be a huge pain in the groins.

• Dont force yourself over hundreds of hours of grinding unless you really like the game;
  • @Fr_0zt so wisely said "don't stack, that's for trophy whores";
  • Play only games you like, for me it would be no sport, racing, puzzle and a few others genres;
  • I dont mind easy games if they are fun. I love story based games like Until Dawn, Life is Strange and I just got Quantic Dream Collection and Im eager to start;
  • As of rule 1 dont force yourself to get Multiplayer trophies, I dont like Multiplayer, they are a huge grind and to organize a group to play with is a huge waste of time. I never used this site to organize Multiplayer games so maybe it will change my mind if I ever do it;
  • No microtransactions and try not to buy games at full price (because money);
  • Check the trophy list before starting;
  • Always play blind first;
  • Only play on my own account. I dont mind if a friend come over and we start a game and earn some trophies but I will never let someone else play with the sole purpose of getting trophies;
  • I dont mind taking shortcuts to save time like watching YT videos to get all collectables or if a trophy is complicated or hard to get I will watch guides for;
  • Try to avoid games that have to glitched trophies, being locked out of trophies (and Platinums) that you would get for sure because of developers incompetence is the worst. Come on, patch your damn games;
  • Dont rush trophies or games in general, this is a hobby and should be treated as such.
  • Like 2

Have fun!! The most important rule of the lot!!

Beyond that no playing shite just because it is easy and I don't play the same game twice because my backlog is way too big for that.

Last rule is no stacking because it is cheap and doesn't make anything look better.

• Like 1

1. Play games I want to play, not forcing myself to anything. Not a fan of RPG/JRPG so I will not play (with some exceptions like Witcher 3);

2. If I liked the game enough, I will stack it but only on PS3/PS4, multiple regions are for try-hards imo;

3. If I didn't like the game at all, and even completing it once is a pain for me (Beyond Two Souls/Hotline Miami) then I won't complete it and just hide it from my profile. I respect my time too much to force myself to things I don't like just for some virtual trophy).

4. If I can afford it and I liked the game enough, I will go for the DLC (I started to follow this "rule" recently);

5. Exploits and glitches are great because if they are needed, it means the trophy itself is ridiculous and over-exaggerated.

All in all, trophy hunting for me is just a way to spend free time and give myself a little bit of challenge to not be bored by playing games on easy all the time.

• Like 2

I thaught i will add something from myself:

1. Always choose Quality over Quantity - don't do stacks, autopops and all this bullshit. Today, with all those stacks and autopops, PSN level means nothing - i would better have level 10 with Killzone 2 Platinium than level 100 with all those retarded japanese/korean/hong kong vita stacks :)

2. Play only games you like - i despise people who play some japanese/korean shitty, 6 minutes platiniums, without even knowing language, just for getting plat for 5 $.. Terrible

3. Always get  a 100% - DLC is still a part of game. When you get only 60% completion with platinium you should not brag about it.

4. First playtrough should be blind - just enjoy game, trophies should be a supplement to playing a game, not a sole purpose to play it.

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 1

For me, this covers both Xbox One (primary system https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/NoHeroes94) and PS4. 

As a preface, these are MY preferences. Gaming is a journey and part of that is learning what makes you happy. For some it is 100%, some it is quality > quantity, for some its stacks, for some its not trophies at all. You do you, this is just me. 

My Rules:

- Always go for 100%, including DLC. I personally couldn't max out the base game and then just ignore DLC. On PS, I'm slightly more relaxed about waiting for a while because it still shows the platinum unlike Xbox (i.e. NG+ in Spiderman / HZD I didn't do until months after). However, I will always get 100% in the end. As an absolute failsafe, if I know I can't max a game out (which has happened, I'm 230/238 on Xbox One), I will always get as many as possible (75%+).

- If I am not sure or can't 100% a game (e.g. MP only),  I play it on a backup account (or Nintendo Switch). On said backup (my "sin" profile as I call it), I play without caring for achievements or trophies (for me, I have a backup where I play sports titles, GTA V, etc.) That way my main completionist profile is nice and tidy, and I don't miss out on any games due to my completionist OCD. If it ends up being easier than I originally thought, I'll just do it on main profile. 

- I virtually never do regional stacks. When I say stacks, I mean multiple versions of the same game. I've done quite a few "stacks" with current-gen ports of previous gen games I'd also done (e.g. BioShock Collection, L.A. Noire, etc.) However, I never do easy stacks. As the above link shows, the majority of my gaming (multi-platform especially) is on Xbox One, and regional stacks are considerably less common. On PS, the grand majority of my gaming consists of exclusive AAA's or indie games I loved on XB1 that I want to re-do on PS4. 

- No 70+ hour completions (unless I truly love a series). I will make exceptions on this pretty soft rule (e.g.Cyberpunk 2077), especially when DLC is involved, but typically my favourite games are either unique well-made indies, single-player FPS', or narrative action-adventure games. These usually take 10 - 50 hours, allow me to immerse myself, and then move on before overstaying their welcome. I like doing multiple completions in a month, wherever possible, so it takes a true darling to absorb ALL my time. In recent years, God of War was as perfect in length and difficulty for the platinum that I can use to describe my tastes.

- No one can ever earn an achievement/trophy on my behalf or on my account unless it is completely by accident. In essence, if I can't do it myself, I don't want it. As much as I love completions, I need to be able to do it myself. If I can't do it, its frustrating, but it is what it is. The only time I'm cool with people earning achievements on my account is if its a co-op game (A Way Out I needed my fiancee, for example) or if you're playing a local match and one accidentally pops. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kristmas2 said:

I thaught i will add something from myself:

1. Always choose Quality over Quantity - don't do stacks, autopops and all this bullshit. Today, with all those stacks and autopops, PSN level means nothing - i would better have level 10 with Killzone 2 Platinium than level 100 with all those retarded japanese/korean/hong kong vita stacks :)

2. Play only games you like - i despise people who play some japanese/korean shitty, 6 minutes platiniums, without even knowing language, just for getting plat for 5 $.. Terrible

3. Always get  a 100% - DLC is still a part of game. When you get 60% completion platinium you should be ashamed of you actions.

4. First playtrough should be blind - just enjoy game, trophies should be a supplement to playing a game, not a sole purpose to play it.

No one should be "ashamed of [their] actions" when it comes to games, unless they are cheating in public games as this affects other people's enjoyment and stats. This is a trophy website, a lot of people are going to be motivated to play specific games purely because of the trophies and that's perfectly fine. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
Duplication error
  • Like 3

Only 5 rules:

1) I almost always focus to achieve MP trophies first if possible, especially with PS3 games, then I can move on and play a different game.

2) If I decide to play a game, I'll play the entire series (but just those ones that are available in my region).

3) No matter how hard a game or series is. If I like it, I will play it.

4) I try to play that series in order.

5) I play easy, medium and hard games. No preference here

I don't have all that many rules, but oh well:

• Never play any game solely for the trophies. Having fun is my endgame.
  • Play every game from start to Platinum/100% to maximize skill retention unless the game is just absurdly massive and requires a break in between just to not stick too long with just the one game (only did it with the Persona games so far).
  • If the Platinum/100% requires a massive time sink due to unreasonable grinds or insanely high skill threshold, it's okay to leave it unfinished. Again, having fun is the endgame. I don't want to live in servitude to the trophy list.
  • Guides are perfectly fine. I see no harm in searching for strategies and saving up some time.
  • No stacks. Why should I buy two versions of the same game when I already fell in love with the original? That money is best spent on a new game.
  • Like 3

i follow a very simple rule, if i like a game enough i'll plat it. doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10 difficulty or if it's a 10-1000 hours game

have fun with the game and explore it without spoilers or focusing on trophies rather than enjoying the game, when you finish the game then decide if you wanna plat it or not

Edited by HaweGame

Really great thread so far and amazing topic to touch upon. 

I am heavily into fitness and easily can draw stuff that applies to both, it primarily being that everyone is an individual and not everything will fit everyone. 

Because of that here are a few off the top of my head that I am following the new account I created to start properly hunting on:

1. - Enjoy myself. I had many PS plus games from previous PSN that I wanted to platinum first, but realized that most of them I will not enjoy at this time at least. So that is a pass on that. Rather play something that I will enjoy the big F out off.

2. - As close as 100% everything as possible. This means having to wait a bit if I do not want to waste more money than I have to for like the newest BL2 DLC. 

3. - Read the roadmap for a certain game, unless it is just released and they are not available like it will be for some upcoming games I am eager to play on day 1. (Jedi, Death Stranding, Gods n Monsters, The Last of Us 2, Dying Light 2, etc.) Learned my mistake by realizing how hard Furi will be to platinum, so it will stay at 4% until either my 50th or 100th. As I know how good it will feel to beat the game. Will take shit ton of practice.

EDIT

Forgot one vital point that I do not like at all. Purposely stacking a game. It is essentially one platinum. Especially for the ones achieved in a single day or less. 

Edited by iamvolfy
Forgot point 4

My rules are simple

1. Play what ever the fuck you want. If its Unobtainable you have to skip it
2. Try to get every trophy in this game
3. First DLC than Main game or getting both done in a sequenz so getting platinum and working right away on DLCs is ok too

4. Get every game done which is in the franchise

I consider these more of guidelines than rules. Just things I *try* to follow when gaming.

1. Give the games a chance, no matter the genre and even if only one part of the trailer caught your attention (one single character, the music, one background scenery, etc)

2. Anything over $20, wait for a sale

3. Nothing is impossible unless it's glitched and it's okay if you find something difficult that others found easy. Just keep at it. 

4. Some trophies aren't worth the headache, no matter how UR the plat is

5. No hiding games (no little blue H on the profile), even if the trophies are now impossible due to server closures and the such

6. Be the online-trophy booster you were born to be. Accept that without boosting, those trophies would remain unearned. Some people are good at online-oriented games, you're not one of them

7. Games without guides take priority

8. If a friend accidentally starts a game on your profile, you are required to remain friends with said person until they finish said game, no matter how long it takes (stares heavily at Ninja Gaiden...)

9. No shareplay-earned trophies. If you can't get it yourself, get better until you can

10. Take no shame in the games you decide to play. It doesn't matter what others think

11. Platinums aren't required for play, PSN games can be just as fun, even if not as rewarding trophy-wise

12. Don't forget to turn on the WiFi every now and then on your Vita to avoid the Missing Timestamps issue. Please.

• Like 1

I don’t have many rules myself but the ones I do follow...

1. Just get the Platinum, 100% doesn’t matter to me

2. No cheap platinums, ones that can be obtained in 10 mins etc. Although I broke this rule with Conan exhiles but it was free so.. 

3. No stacks, I don’t know how to anyway and I don’t care. 

4. Anything is fair game for getting the platinum, guides, glitches, exploits. Made modern warfare remastered a breeze on veteran 

5. Try to avoid games with multiplayer trophies, unless doable. 

Thats just what comes to my head right now 

• Like 1

1. Play the games i want. Easy/difficult/long/short/hard/soft/yummy/yucky..

2. If it has MP. Do that first.

3. Complete every game in the series... still working on that.. 

4. 100% everything. (Working on this too)

5. No ezpz games. UNLESS, i got them from ps+/gifted.

6. No auto pop stacking. And no stacking in general. Except:

If a game has been remade not remastered.

Example: Final fantasy 7 and remake. Are Okay.

Dark souls 1 ps3 and dark souls "remastered" ps4. 

Are not okay.

7. Never give up hope, that one day. I will be able to connect to inFamous: Festival of blood servers. Why the hate on Japan sucker punch? Then you go and make a game set in Japan next? Pfft.

8. Something somethinf i forgot other stuff...

• Like 4

Hey, @TheYuriG. You probably already know most of my rules, but it's nice to write them down somewhere.

I'm gonna copy your rules and adapt them as we share similar ones.

• -GOLDEN RULE: always try to go for all possible shutdowns to minimize your unachievable trophies losses as long as it fits your budget and your free time
  • -you must always get max possible % in every game, every trophy counts. So it's ok to add trophy list when there is at least one achievable trophy.
  • -you WILL NEVER add a F rank game in your list. There's no point in adding an online-only game which was already shutdown just to keep it in your list even at 0%. Also, whenever you add a new game, try to always earn at least one trophy before stopping playing for the first time, unless of course it's not viable due to all trophies depending on time you don't have at the moment
  • -stacking games is a lot fun (of course, after some months/years you'll forget most of the plot details anyway...), but always take a break of 6 to 12 months before replaying the story in a new stack, unless you must do it to avoid a shutdown or whatever.
  • -try to play everything, you usually can have fun with most games. You can count in your hands the amount of stupid and boring games you've played, most were decent. But if you can, AVOID FIGHTING games. You suck, man. You'll never learn how to play them properly: SxT will be stuck at 98% forever in your profile, but of course, don't give up. (It's ok to play ezpz fighting games: you'll be able to finish them lol)
  • -avoid super ezpz games like Ratalaika, Mayo, etc as they mostly don't add for much content and experience. It's only ok to do them if you want to adjust ASAP to some milestone you care to achieve. Take no prejudice with Telltale games being easy, most are awesome games and worth the overall experience
  • -avoid boosting when the game online community is healthy and the online portion is fun. But of course, don't stress too much over retarded online stuff: boost the hell out of it
  • -avoid games that are constantly updated until they reach their final form. It's horrible to keep playing the same game and never finishing it for real (hey there, Minecraft) and even worse to keep it installed at all times or having to reinstall every now and then
  • -you must be the one popping all your trophies in your account. It's prohibited to let others access your account to do a trophy for you: if you lack skill (hey fighting games), just git gud or accept you won't achieve it. If you have weird connection issues, you can solve it no matter what: use proxies, vpn, reinstall, format, router your 4g, whatever. Just don't ask others to do even easy online trophies just because you can't connect
  • -you must always pay for any sort of microtransactions that you judge to be affordable and not a ridiculous crash grab. Examples are: NBA 2k, just ignore their ridiculous myTeam collection trophies as you'd have to pay thousands of dollars for it (and you'll probably won't have thousands of hours for a yearly game), but it's totally acceptable to save time when it's cheap like in Jetpack Joyride, where you can save a few dozen hours for a small amount of money.
  • -try to earn the plat trophy as the last one, it's nice finishing the game together with the plat. However it's ok to avoid it if you're waiting for boosting sessions in DLC trophies or even if DLCs are better/easier done after finishing the main game
  • -you should always share found strategies for trophies. You always want to make your life easier by searching good methods all over the web, so do the same whenever you found something. It's a lame move to keep excellent methods for yourself due to selfish reasons
  • -avoid adding new games to your already huge backlog (unless it's for a server shutdown), in some years you can be done with your backlog and enter the joyful cycle of adding a new game and then finishing it without no other unearned achievable trophy in your profile (what a dream!)
  • -NEVER spoil the main story experience to achieve trophies quicker even if that means you'll have to stand an extra playthrough
  • Like 3