What are the rules that define your own trophy hunting?

TheYuriG

For me : 

- No Hidden Trophy 

- All 100% 

- Only game i want 

- Prio PS3 game 

- All game on my favorite series ( Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter and Devil May cry ) 

I try to complete my game liste but he have more 300 game left, but 200 is easy to finish on 1 days, my secondary objective is 1000 Ultra rare, but that com naturraly with my list :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Winterglemm said:

do you play for fun or what

On 17/07/2019 at 11:37 PM, TheYuriG said:

-you should prioritize games with higher skill ceiling over the rest. easy games are boring, moderate games are dull, hard games are challenging and therefore meaningful to complete

I try to, but I usually end up getting bored with games that don't present a challenge. Titanfall 2 was great in this regard.

4 hours ago, closertim said:

Main rule is if I start a game I have to 100% it, if possible.  Even if it means misery.  

Good luck with uncharted. I'm seeing you on the server and I'm rooting for you. God bless.

• Like 1

Y'all want an unpopular rule?

- Attempting the 100% / platinum ---> EVEN IF I DISLIKE THE GAME.

I have a 91.13% completion rate. I'm happy with that. Every single game, even if I dislike it I have to at the very least attempt to get the platinum or 100%. If it's above my skill level, I let it be and move on. But for example, a game like Dragon Quest Heroes 1 that was an utter bore and chore to get through grinding out to the end... I still did it. Why? Mama didn't raise no b!tch. Finish what you've started. (Unless it's The Last Guardian, which in that case it's for your mental health) 

• Like 4

On 23/07/2019 at 7:15 PM, realm722 said:

Y'all want an unpopular rule?

- Attempting the 100% / platinum ---> EVEN IF I DISLIKE THE GAME.

I have a 91.13% completion rate. I'm happy with that. Every single game, even if I dislike it I have to at the very least attempt to get the platinum or 100%. If it's above my skill level, I let it be and move on. But for example, a game like Dragon Quest Heroes 1 that was an utter bore and chore to get through grinding out to the end... I still did it. Why? Mama didn't raise no b!tch. Finish what you've started. (Unless it's The Last Guardian, which in that case it's for your mental health) 

That is an unpopular but relatable rule. Savig a few laughs, I hated almost every match of Factions on The Last of Us.

About to finish my first The Last Guardian run. Please, email me your prayers, for I have seen the trophy list and it is tarnished.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A. The game can't tell me I'm an evil PoS even when I'm the good guy.....Lookin at you Youngblood and Battlefield V.......

B. The game MUST be enjoyable from start to finish, even the "fetch" quests have to be ok.

C. The Trophy cards gotta be unique or at least attempt to be (i.e. Until dawn named almost all its trophies after horror films, same with Tokyo Ghoul.)

D. I'm a sucker for UNIQUE collectables.....i.e. Either lore laden and/or are added to your safehouse/bedroom/building in some way ala Bully (as you progress things you've done ingame get placed around the room......killer concept)

• Like 2

1. Buy a game you think YOU'D like - not what your friends think you should buy.

2. Give the game 3 chances to catch your interest.  If it doesn't, move on but come back in 6 months or a year and see if your opinion has changed.

3. Don't only play platinum games.  Some great 100% games are out there, too.

4. Try games without a guide.  Just enjoy them!

• Like 3

I might have broken a few of these rules before, because I don't force myself to earn like I used to. 

1. Bronze trophies are equal to golds and even platinums. 
  2. 100% with or without platinum is equal. It's a completed game.
  3. I will not be defeated by hard trophies. 
  4. Don't bother with grindy trophies. If they can be earned while relaxing or with rubber bands, I might get them. If they're boring, fuck them. 
  5. I will quit games I don't like very quickly. 
  6. Don't worry about impossible trophies (shut servers). 
  7. I can look up secret trophies whenever I want. 
  8. Game first, trophies later. 
  9. The trophy list doesn't even need to be looked at before starting, although it's a good idea to be aware of missables. 
  10. No spoiling the quality of the game for the sake of trophies (eg. looking at solutions for puzzles in order to earn trophies faster).
  11. There are no deadlines nor targets. 
  12. Completion rate is unimportant.
  13. The time taken to complete a game is unimportant.
  14. Trophy level and number of platinums are unimportant.
  15. No hiding trophies. Keep things real \m/
  16. Boosting is usually fine.
  17. No rules for the difficulty or genre of games.
  18. 100% is not a requirement. Incomplete games are not a harmful stain unless it's because of difficult trophies. 
  19. The most important milestones are 666, 1666, 2666, 3666, 4666, 5666 and even more so 6666. The pattern continues.
  20. It's fun to combine milestones with the completion of a game. 
  21. Difficulty makes me proud. Rarity is unimportant. 
Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 3

I am very new to trophy hunting. Finding this community really helped me become more driven to trophy hunt. And seeing all those D's and E's on my list hurt my soul. I've never really sat down and thought about my "rules" but this thread has inspired me.

- Don't refuse to pick a game up just because the platinum seems too hard

- A grind-fest doesn't mean I can't 100% something. Just put it on the back burner if I get burnt out.

- I'm guilty of a couple "Easy-Plats" and I plan on limiting that in the future as I don't really find the games fun, and that's lame.

- I would never let someone use my account to help me.

- Buy the physical copy unless only digital exists

- Go outside of your comfort zone and don't just stick to 1 or 2 genres

- Reading this thread, I've learned that hiding games is a thing but I would never do that. I'll let my pre trophy hunting days radiate to the world.

Also, at the moment, I'm kind of terrified of multiplayer trophies because I don't do well with talking to strangers. But that's something I'll have to get over if a boosting session or help with a trophy is ever needed.

Have to be great games, not only AAA.

Have to be 3/10 minimum so i dont get bored.

No only cinematics games.

No stupid online grinds except if i see a great opportunity in doing it.

Completionist. Challenge craving. Rare trophies.

By seeing my trophy list it doesnt really reflect perfectly but my rules changed from ps3 era to ps4.

39 minutes ago, Midnightwards666 said:

I might have broken a few of these rules before, because I don't force myself to earn like I used to. 

1. Bronze trophies are equal to golds and even platinums. 
  2. 100% with or without platinum is equal. It's a completed game.
  3. I will not be defeated by hard trophies. 
  4. Don't bother with grindy trophies. If they can be earned while relaxing or with rubber bands, I might get them. If they're boring, fuck them. 
  5. I will quit games I don't like very quickly. 
  6. Don't worry about impossible trophies (shut servers). 
  7. I can look up secret trophies whenever I want. 
  8. Game first, trophies later. 
  9. The trophy list doesn't even need to be looked at before starting, although it's a good idea to be aware of missables. 
  10. No spoiling the quality of the game for the sake of trophies (eg. looking at solutions for puzzles in order to earn trophies faster).
  11. There are no deadlines nor targets. 
  12. Completion rate is unimportant.
  13. The time taken to complete a game is unimportant.
  14. Trophy level and number of platinums are unimportant.
  15. No hiding trophies. Keep things real \m/
  16. Boosting is usually fine.
  17. No rules for the difficulty or genre of games.
  18. 100% is not a requirement. Incomplete games are not a harmful stain unless it's because of difficult trophies. 
  19. The most important milestones are 666, 1666, 2666, 3666, 4666, 5666 and even more so 6666. The pattern continues.
  20. It's fun to combine milestones with the completion of a game. 
  21. Difficulty makes me proud. Rarity is unimportant. 

This is literally the best set of rules.

As for the majority of the rest - what is the point in playing games that you don't like? Just to piss yourself off? No, thanks, I'd rather play something that feels fun and not torture myself with shitty, uninteresting games just for a couple of trophies.

Edited by Vintage_Davis
Formatting

31 minutes ago, Vintage_Davis said:

As for the majority of the rest - what is the point in playing games that you don't like?

Trophies. ;)

31 minutes ago, Vintage_Davis said:

This is literally the best set of rules. 

Cheers, glad you like them. They work well for me. It's good for those who just play when they want, don't like being in a hurry and want to enjoy every minute of gaming as much as possible. 

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 1

- Don't play crap just for trophies, I play also easy games, but ones that are generally considered good games;

- No double plats of the same game (I barely have time to complete new games, no need to waste time repeating the same game over and over just for the numbers);

- Play every game I'm interested in on this profile (except games with unobtainable trophies, but it hasn't happened so far, I've completed games with online only trophies before server closure);

- Alternate a couple quick and easy games with a difficult or long game;

- Plan milestones, even though the PS4 trophy system screwed some of them because of trophies popping with the same timestamp.

Edited by Brightblade76

• It's a hobby, don't let any rules affect it too much. It's not worth it if rules get in the way of having a good time (be it beating a challenging game or just enoying the story/music/battle system/world/whatever). Go out of your way to try to follow the rules, but don't stick to them if a game is too annoying/frustrating/bad. You have a job and not that much free time, make the most of it.
  • Play the games you like.
  • Get the plat in any game you start and raise its completion to 100% whenever possible.
  • Don't torture yourself by forcing you to obtain a plat/reach 100% in a game you hate.
  • Do a little bit of research before buying/playing to avoid having too many incomplete games due to rule 4.
  • Don't play games you can't complete on your main account.
  • At least 1% ultra rare trophies (PSNP rarity). This might change to 2% or 3% someday.
  • No hidden trophies.
  • Earn the trophies yourself. Boosting is alright, taking turns when playing with an offline friend is fine as well, but don't ask someone to do all the work because you can't/won't do it yourself.
  • Having multiple stacks of the same game is fine.
  • You can auto pop trophies on other stacks, but don't let it get out of hand. Current auto pops: 0
  • Don't play games just because they have an easy plat/100%. You can play these kinds of games and even complete all stacks, but only if you enjoy them and don't skip everything in VNs (and other games) for the fast plat. (Broke that rule a few times in the past, intend to do better in the future.)
  • Aim on a healthy balance between easy, medium, and hard games.
  • Focus on one or two games at a time.
  • Offline trophies over online trophies.
  • Unobtained trophies <= Current trophies / 10. I have 7048 trophies right now, meaning I'm allowed to have 704 unearned trophies. Long-term goal is < 500 unearned trophies and maybe less than that once I reach that goal.
Edited by viech54

• 2 weeks later...

I try to follow this rule set as much as possible but life has it's way with things.
Anyways my rule set goes like this:
-Strive for 100%, DLCs and all (although I will never be able to do that, looking at you Dragon Fin Soup and Tetris Ultimate)

-Do not hide your trophies!

-It's okay to go for common or popular games, but try and make your list as unique as possible with hard, rare and challenging games.
-Easy games are okay, but they are merely pallet cleansers not rank boosters. Everybody needs an easy win from time to time. 

-Stacking is okay but not with easy games i.e OllieOllie 2 is a good stack, Jak and Jill is a bad stack.

-Go for the games you love.

-Don't be afraid to try new games even if the list is daunting.

-Avoid Multiplayer trophies as much as possible!

-When boosting and going for mp trophies, try to make friends and hunting partners.

-This one is pretty new but...try to make every milestone special.
-If possible get the whole game series list completed back to back, bonus points if you can go for stacks as well. (Did the GOW series not too long ago and now I'm working on the AC series)

-Try to avoid a huge backlog. This one is a WIP for me ?.

The last and most IMPORTANT rule is:
At the end of the day this is a hobby and these are games, you should be having fun and not getting consumed by it.

Some people here have great rules, some I might even take and add to my list, and I hope I gave other inspiration or ideas as well. ?
Happy Hunting!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys.

Im a gamer for almost 35 years and a trophyhunter from the first hour (October 2008).

1. It's a hobby. For trophy's, i don't play boring games, games without fun, games with no ability/skill needed and games im not interested in. For example graphic-novelles and 10-minutes-platinums.

2. I don't want to have duplicates from the same system in my list. 3 PS4-Versions (NA,EU,JP) = Hell No!! 1 PS3, 1 Vita and 1 PS4-Version are ok.

3. Games without a platinum are ok. An only-100%-Game is still a 'Completed Game'. I have 91 plats, but 149 'Completed Games'. And still to mention, 100%-Games are always S-Ranked, plats only without DLC's.

4. Trophies has to be earned by yourself, everything else is worthless.

5. Checking the trophie-list in terms of secret trophies, number of walkthroughs and difficulty needed, is ok. Playing completely with a guide is not.

6. Always play more than one game to keep the trophie-flow upright. I usually play 2 new games with a lot of unearned trophies (walkthrough-stage) and some games with a few remaining trophies (cleanup-stage).

7. No Hannah Montana in my 'holy' list. Im a trophy-hunter, no trophy-whore!!

• 1 year later...

I came across a few points which in my opinion has made my trophy hunting career pointless because i've f'd up in the past by downloading a savefile for fuel just to be a rebel or something stupid like that and now I cant get rid of those trophies that were cheated so I had to hide that game completely forever and it just kind of corrupts my whole trophy total number and so on. This made me guestion what's the point of trophy hunting anyways. Also I played overcooked 2 with my friend and it turns out he was not allowed by the game to get trophies so we should complete it twice to make it fair. So what's the point of competetive trophy hunting or hunting at all? It's not a fair sport and also I tried to turn it that way that it's the games fault for not registering his trophies but if I gave him my savefile to copy on his system to give him the trophies he deserved and earned its branded cheating. But if you play a game that has hidden collectibles and look their locations from the internet that is just 100% legit? Do this in school in a test and you get an automatic F. This is why nowdays I find trophyhunting just a ridiculous hobby overall cause it has such absurd rules that dont make any sense and never will. In reality there are no rules, nothing makes a cheater and a normal player any different, theyre both just wasting their time collecting digital pictures, just in their own ways.

* Don't take trophy hunting too seriously.  This is supposed to be fun, after all.

* Game first, trophies second.  You should always do your first playthrough of a game without paying attention to the trophies, unless it's a LONG story mode that has a missable trophy or two.  In these cases, you SHOULD be aware of said missables, to save a potential second lengthy playthrough later.

* Don't blacklist games just because they have MP trophies.

* Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of your profile. Play what YOU want to play.

I also try to structure my gaming a little so that every 1,000th trophy is a platinum, and I've managed this 9 times now.  The next time will be for my 10,000th trophy, so I need to find a worthy platinum to take that spot! ?

1 hour ago, Hecu93 said:

nothing makes a cheater and a normal player any different, theyre both just wasting their time collecting digital pictures, just in their own ways.

If you enjoy something, then your time isn't wasted.

• Like 2

1. Only play games that sound like they could be fun.  No playing games just for easy trophies or because they are popular or whatever.

2. Always strive for 100% even if that takes years and many attempts

3. No games that require other people to earn any trophies.

4. No buying games with unobtainable trophies.  If a game has an unobtainable found before I start playing it's removed from the backlog.

5. If a game is cross-buy, complete all stacks on consoles I own.

6. No buying additional stacks or double-dipping (buying something I own on another platform) unless I enjoy the game and truly want to play it again.

7. If I buy a bundle of games, it's okay to not add games I am not interested in to my backlog.  Only buy a bundle if I want at least half of what's in it and the price for the bundle is less than buying the games I'm interested in separately or the bundle is the only way to get the game I'm wanting.

8. Scripts, automation, rubber-banding, etc.are fine for tedious tasks like killing 10k+ monsters, maxing character levels, etc.if those trophies are still not earned after finishing everything else

9. No buying games not on sale or at release unless I plan on playing them right away

10. Owned games can be removed from backlog if they later end up breaking one of these rules before I start playing it.

11. Avoid games from devs/publishers on my blacklist even if they sound fun.  This includes companies like EA and Activision, but any shitty dev/publisher who shows they care more about money than making good games can end up here.  Not much of a loss here since most of these devs make games I tend to deem mediocre at best.

12. Microtransactions/non-trophy paid DLC are fine if the game is enjoyable and comes from a dev I like.  I consider these sorts of things additional ways to support a dev and since I avoid the terrible greedy devs/publishers in general I don't mind buying a few of these to save time and give a good dev additional support for a game I enjoy.

• Like 1