Is there any risk with taking apart a ps3 slim?

Deathon6

I'm going to take my ps3 apart to clean it but first I would like to know if there is any risk with taking it apart before I do. 

The main areas I'm concerned about are. 

• Electric Shock. (Do I risk getting shocked by the internal components even when it's off and unplugged.)
  • Are there any ribbon cables I need to watch out for. (I know on the ps2 phat the power ribbon cable was on the shell and could easily be torn when taking the shell off. Was wondering if the ps3 slim is the same way as the ps2 phat was?)

Thank You! 

Just be 100% sure you know how to DEconstruct it as well as reconstruct it. If you're a DIY mechanic you'd have better luck sending it in than risking watching a YouTube video on how to take it apart, all by a person who KNOWS what they are doing and makes it their job. If it's really that important to you, you'd send it for cleaning and or repair. Just a thought bud.

Once you've unplugged the console, press the power button a few times to discharge any remaining electric charge the capacitors are holding. 

You'll need a philips head screwdriver and a T8 torx security bit to get into the system. The slim is incredibly easy to take apart and reassemble 

Recommend following a video and picture guide on ifixit if this is your first time. 

If you plan on replacing the paste, I would recommend some arctic silver

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0087X728K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2CT45V9QNYVIJ&keywords=arctic+silver+5&qid=1563535564&s=gateway&sprefix=arctic+silv%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-4

If you're really worried about any electric shock, you can get an anti-static wrist strap that will ground you

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grounding-Alligator-RTK-002-Detachable/dp/B004N8ZQKY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=P24IMXFCO6C8&keywords=anti+static+wristband&qid=1563535621&s=gateway&sprefix=anti+static%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-3

edit: for further note, there is no need to ever open the power brick unless it actually needs repairs.

Make sure you have clean hands before working on the system

Edited by SnowxSakura

I took it half way apart (just the covering to expose the fan) and there isn't much dirt or dust in there. I got out what little I could. 

I was wondering for future use if it would be okay to use 100% pure Isopropyl alcohol? 

Not to be confused with regular rubbing alcohol (that you may find under your bathroom sink) which only contains 70% alcohol. 100% pure isopropyl alcohol contains no water and is extremely volatile.  

Because 100% pure isopropyl alcohol contains no water it won't leave any behind when it evaporates. 

I have heard that it is best to use this when cleaning electrical components. 

Has anyone here used this before and can comment with their results?