Do you do food deliveries?

MidnightDragon

As I posted in recent statuses on the site, I'm now doing Postmates and will soon start DoorDash to make some money until I get a job. That made me wonder...does anyone else here do DoorDash, UberEats, Postmates, and/or Grubhub? If you don't know what those are, they pay you to deliver food to people. 

We also have Skip the Dishes here but personally I think most of it is so stupid.

People have gotten so lazy you can order a Slurpee from 7-11 now or a coffee from McDonalds and it will be delivered to your home.

On top of that those places pay like shit. I personally know a few Uber and Skip the Dishes drivers that actually lost money working there because their gas isn't covered and if people don't tip they will often lose money/break even on a delivery. 

• Like 1

I never worked for them, but use food delivery. I live in the UK, and Deliveroo is the most popular, I see them all over London and Manchester cycling and delivering food. The next most is probably Just Eat.

From people I know that worked with these companies, they are pretty ruthless in that they would happily fire you if you get unwell and can't cycle in rain to deliver food. They seem to be limited to big cities, not available in more rural places

21 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

We also have Skip the Dishes here but personally I think most of it is so stupid.

People have gotten so lazy you can order a Slurpee from 7-11 now or a coffee from McDonalds and it will be delivered to your home.

On top of that those places pay like shit. I personally know a few Uber and Skip the Dishes drivers that actually lost money working there because their gas isn't covered and if people don't tip they will often lose money/break even on a delivery. 

Yea, I know it’s not the best, but it’s mainly just until I find a more stable job. 

And if you’re lazy enough to pay someone to deliver your food, more power to you. I did it myself tonight, but it was mainly because my car wasn’t available.

Edited by MidnightDragon

Used to run for Ubereats and Postmates for a bit, mostly did it by biking for side work. It started becoming too much of a physically demanding chore because of how hilly the area where I live is, and since my full-time job is just as demanding I eventually stopped. To be honest it was pretty bad work, unless if I got tipped I only made $5-6 on an average run and if you run for postmates via bike you're only going to get one to two orders per hour on a busy day.

I'm more than likely never going to go back into that industry again, but I'm thinking about taking my chances with Uber and Lyft for part-time work a little bit later on next year.

My office has a large number of people who use doordash and uber eats but I personally don't as the costs can add up and there was a local story recently about food delivery drivers eating the food of their customers before bringing it to them so no thanks

2 hours ago, majob said:

My office has a large number of people who use doordash and uber eats but I personally don't as the costs can add up and there was a local story recently about food delivery drivers eating the food of their customers before bringing it to them so no thanks

I saw that...I'm not one of them, I assure you!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...