How difficult?

Maahniac

The game is pretty fun and worth the price at $10. It's basically a level or 2 from five 80's style arcade games. Some of the trophies are going to be very hard. Shadow dancer, Kill 'Em All, and Hard drivin' are probably very difficult and I'm not going to even try. Bare knuckle and Playing with power are probably very doable for anyone with some practice. I don't understand the requirements for Mastermind. If anyone figures it out let me know. The rest are easy.

Beating Heart - Just practice, learn how to safely attack enemies.  I mostly used just punching, the jumping attack works on some enemies but not others.  Moving diagonally towards an enemy to punch them you can usually get in there without them counterattcking.  You get healed back to full health after the first screen as well.

Out of the Void - Haven't done this yet, you'll have to memorize all enemy spawns and be sure to kill them all before they fly off screen, will take a bunch of attempts I think.

The Runaway - This isn't so bad, just slow down (let off the gas) around the tight corners and keep going at full speed otherwise passing cars.  Make sure at the end no cars are behind you, if they pass through your car when you're stopped at the end it invalidated the trophy for me.

Shadowplay - Memorize the powerups and the path to take, haven't done it yet but seems doable.  Not sure if you can die or not partway through if you miss an enemy or powerup and try again or if you need to start over from the beginning.

Kill 'Em All - Fairly easy.  Just wander around the dungeon until you reach max level.  As for only super effective attacks, each enemy is weak to one type of attack.  It tells you after you attack if they were weak to it.  Just memorize what each enemy is weak to and do an entire run, or just use my notes.

Spoiler

purple slime - slash
red slime - beam
green slime - hack
clawed alien - beam
robots - hack

purple dragon/orange body - slash
white dragon - beam
grey dragon/purple body - hack

Edited by Ecks
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ecks said:

The Runaway - This isn't so bad, just slow down (let off the gas) around the tight corners and keep going at full speed otherwise passing cars. 

Reveal hidden contents

purple slime - slash
red slime - beam
green slime - hack
clawed alien - beam
robots - hack

purple dragon/orange body - slash
white dragon - beam
grey dragon/purple body - hack

Thank you! This one felt much more doable after your tip, and I got it after a few tries.

Also thank you for the kill screen list. Got that one too.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 198X earlier and I'm having a blast with it. Thanks @Ecks  for the valuable hints! Tomorrow I will start my "Out of the Void" and "Shadowplay" runs.

For anyone interested/wondering: 198X is a metalinguistical story-driven game cointaining a collection of 5 minigames inspired in different genres from the arcades era. When I watched the trailer before the game launched, I thought it would be a point and click adventure outside of the minigames, but no, it features no gameplay except these "classic experiences". 198X is short, yet somewhat challenging, what adds replay value; it is well-written and very artistical. 

Update: OK, after many tries I finally got "Kill them All" in Out of the Void, and, surprisingly, also got in my first try "Playing with Power" in Shadowplay! My hints are:

Kill them All: just practice. Even though you could try watching a video to anticipate the enemies, it felt undoable doing so, and very painful/boring. No shortcuts on this one, you gotta get the skill, you gotta memorize the patterns. Practice the stage you are having more problems with, be it stage 1 or 2. Its important to know that the trophy will pop BEFORE you kill some of the final enemies in stage 2; this following video can confirm that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWqVbAHPF88

Playing with Power: I can confirm that "Playing with Power" DOES NOT required a no-death run. Shadowplay saves your "progress on collectibles" at every stage/checkpoint you reach, so if you loose a power-up kill yourself as fast as possible. The trick part would be the waterfall screen because its very short and if you loose a power-up there you probably wont be able to suicide. I recommend anticipating the waterfall power-ups by watching the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwV2_2LBQo

Now I only need "Shadow Dancer", but it is the hardest trophy in the game. Good luck to everyone trophy hunting in 198X xD

Update 2: just got my platinum and personally "Shadow Dancer" wasnt harder than "Kill them All". There are 5 stages/screens in Shadowplay: stage 1 is easy and straighforward; stage 2 is more tricky but very doable with practice, I recommend following the power-ups path to avoid being killed by the insta-death spikes; stage 3, the waterfall, is the easiest one and you will never get hit if you stay to the left of the screen pressing square button; stage 4, the cavern, is a hard one, just practice until you memorize it; stage 5 is the trickier one, especially if you, just like me, are unable to memorize the boss patterns. I tried to follow a video and failed as well, I only got it when I wrote down where I should stay to avoid the boss attacks. Here goes my notes, I hope it helps. The positioning is WHERE YOU SHOULD STAY. Pause the game as much as you need, and be carefull with his double-attacks (double-attacks are considered as 1 for the purpose of my notes). 

Phase 1:

MIDDLE 

DOWN

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

Phase 2:

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN

MIDDLE 

MIDDLE 

UP

MIDDLE 

UP

MIDDLE 

UP 

MIDDLE 

UP 

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...
Spoiler
On 8/8/2019 at 4:58 AM, GravityQueeen said:

I got 198X earlier and I'm having a blast with it. Thanks @Ecks  for the valuable hints! Tomorrow I will start my "Out of the Void" and "Shadowplay" runs.

For anyone interested/wondering: 198X is a metalinguistical story-driven game cointaining a collection of 5 minigames inspired in different genres from the arcades era. When I watched the trailer before the game launched, I thought it would be a point and click adventure outside of the minigames, but no, it features no gameplay except these "classic experiences". 198X is short, yet somewhat challenging, what adds replay value; it is well-written and very artistical. 

Update: OK, after many tries I finally got "Kill them All" in Out of the Void, and, surprisingly, also got in my first try "Playing with Power" in Shadowplay! My hints are:

Kill them All: just practice. Even though you could try watching a video to anticipate the enemies, it felt undoable doing so, and very painful/boring. No shortcuts on this one, you gotta get the skill, you gotta memorize the patterns. Practice the stage you are having more problems with, be it stage 1 or 2. Its important to know that the trophy will pop BEFORE you kill some of the final enemies in stage 2; this following video can confirm that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWqVbAHPF88

Playing with Power: I can confirm that "Playing with Power" DOES NOT required a no-death run. Shadowplay saves your "progress on collectibles" at every stage/checkpoint you reach, so if you loose a power-up kill yourself as fast as possible. The trick part would be the waterfall screen because its very short and if you loose a power-up there you probably wont be able to suicide. I recommend anticipating the waterfall power-ups by watching the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwV2_2LBQo

Now I only need "Shadow Dancer", but it is the hardest trophy in the game. Good luck to everyone trophy hunting in 198X xD

Update 2: just got my platinum and personally "Shadow Dancer" wasnt harder than "Kill them All". There are 5 stages/screens in Shadowplay: stage 1 is easy and straighforward; stage 2 is more tricky but very doable with practice, I recommend following the power-ups path to avoid being killed by the insta-death spikes; stage 3, the waterfall, is the easiest one and you will never get hit if you stay to the left of the screen pressing square button; stage 4, the cavern, is a hard one, just practice until you memorize it; stage 5 is the trickier one, especially if you, just like me, are unable to memorize the boss patterns. I tried to follow a video and failed as well, I only got it when I wrote down where I should stay to avoid the boss attacks. Here goes my notes, I hope it helps. The positioning is WHERE YOU SHOULD STAY. Pause the game as much as you need, and be carefull with his double-attacks (double-attacks are considered as 1 for the purpose of my notes). 

Phase 1:

MIDDLE 

DOWN

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

Phase 2:

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN 

MIDDLE 

DOWN

MIDDLE 

MIDDLE 

UP

MIDDLE 

UP

MIDDLE 

UP 

MIDDLE 

UP 

Thanks for the tips. Those videos and notes made it much easier.

• Like 1