XIM configuration

Arcesius

Hey guys, 

So, I've started playing this game with a Xim4 and a very normal keyboard. The initial configuration of the Xim went well using the mobile app, and the keyboard buttons are working as intended. 

However, every couple of minutes (about 10 minutes, give or take), my keyboard becomes unresponsive, which usually ends in me standing still and beaten to death by the mobs ?. So far I've only been playing individual zones, so the issue hasn't killed too many of my runs.... But if this keeps happening, it'll become problematic soon. 

So when this happens, I need to unplug the cable from the PS4 and Xim, and plug it back in. I have set the controller settings to never switch off, but it seems that it still does... 

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to avoid it? Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way! 

@Floriiss @k1ttyloaf sorry to tag you guys but I know you used one too :)

Edited by Arcesus7

On 22-7-2019 at 5:44 PM, Arcesius said:

Hey guys, 

So, I've started playing this game with a Xim4 and a very normal keyboard. The initial configuration of the Xim went well using the mobile app, and the keyboard buttons are working as intended. 

However, every couple of minutes (about 10 minutes, give or take), my keyboard becomes unresponsive, which usually ends in me standing still and beaten to death by the mobs 1f605.png. So far I've only been playing individual zones, so the issue hasn't killed too many of my runs.... But if this keeps happening, it'll become problematic soon. 

So when this happens, I need to unplug the cable from the PS4 and Xim, and plug it back in. I have set the controller settings to never switch off, but it seems that it still does... 

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to avoid it? Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way! 

@Floriiss @k1ttyloaf sorry to tag you guys but I know you used one too :)

That's very strange. I've been using the XIM4 solely for Crypt and never had this issue before.

There's two reasons I can think of this happening. It's either your keyboard or controller.

What kind of keyboard do you use? I am using a mechanical keyboard (Razer). I am pretty sure almost every keyboard works for this, but I have strong doubts on wireless/USB keyboards. Wireless is probably not possible, as it cannot connect to the XIM4 via USB. Next to that USB keyboards could probably be connected to XIM4, but I have a feeling there would be a slight delay. Basically any keyboard without a wire is going to give you some kind of delay and that's definitely something you don't want to have. 

Moreover it could also be your controller. As I previously mentioned I have never experienced your issue, but I did have another issue caused by the controller. One of my controllers started charging when it was on the XIM4 and therefore I couldn't even put it on. I searched for solutions and one of them was that, similar like you, I had to change the controller settings to never switch off. Did that as well, but nothing happened. Then I tried a different controller and suddenly it worked like normal. I've been using that controller ever since and had no issues. So it might be worth a shot to try a different controller as well.

At first it's pretty annoying to set up, but once it's done it should work as intended all the time and you don't have to deal with it anymore, unless ofcourse you want to change some button layout. Speaking of button layout, how exactly did you remap your controls? You can basically choose any game you want (on the XIM4 application) and start to change te controls. I am using the arrow keys to move, spacebar for a bomb, and the AWSD (+Q&E) keys for remaining stuff, like throwing/consumables. I would highly recommend to translate the 'touchpad' button to a button on the keyboard far away from any button. Touchpad is an auto restart. If you put that button somewhere close to the other buttons you might accidentally hit it and get an instant restart. That's definitely something you don't want to have.

• Like 1

Well, thanks a lot for the response! Really appreciate any help :)

5 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

What kind of keyboard do you use? I am using a mechanical keyboard (Razer). I am pretty sure almost every keyboard works for this, but I have strong doubts on wireless/USB keyboards. Wireless is probably not possible, as it cannot connect to the XIM4 via USB. Next to that USB keyboards could probably be connected to XIM4, but I have a feeling there would be a slight delay. Basically any keyboard without a wire is going to give you some kind of delay and that's definitely something you don't want to have. 

Nothing fancy, really. It's a wired HP keyboard, no fancy lights or anything that could be consuming too much power. I'll have to add, though, that I am not plugging in a mouse (since I don't need one). Were you having one plugged in at all times?

4 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

Moreover it could also be your controller. As I previously mentioned I have never experienced your issue, but I did have another issue caused by the controller. One of my controllers started charging when it was on the XIM4 and therefore I couldn't even put it on. I searched for solutions and one of them was that, similar like you, I had to change the controller settings to never switch off. Did that as well, but nothing happened. Then I tried a different controller and suddenly it worked like normal. I've been using that controller ever since and had no issues. So it might be worth a shot to try a different controller as well.

This is definitely something I need to try out then. I have four controllers, so hopefully one will work! I have the settings to "never switch off", and I've read that I should disable the vibrate function..? I haven't done that yet ,but it might be worth trying out as well. 

I don't think my controller is charging when plugged into the Xim4, though... Or at least it doesn't look like it, since it doesn't emit any lights and cannot be switched on unless I unplug it from the Xim. That sounds a bit like what you are describing, only delayed... 

5 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

At first it's pretty annoying to set up, but once it's done it should work as intended all the time and you don't have to deal with it anymore, unless ofcourse you want to change some button layout. Speaking of button layout, how exactly did you remap your controls? You can basically choose any game you want (on the XIM4 application) and start to change te controls. I am using the arrow keys to move, spacebar for a bomb, and the AWSD (+Q&E) keys for remaining stuff, like throwing/consumables. I would highly recommend to translate the 'touchpad' button to a button on the keyboard far away from any button. Touchpad is an auto restart. If you put that button somewhere close to the other buttons you might accidentally hit it and get an instant restart. That's definitely something you don't want to have.

I have a similar setup. I started a custom profile on the Xim app, and I'm using the arrows for movement, A -> Square, W -> Triangle, D -> Circle and S -> X, additionally I have Q and E as L1 and R1, respectively, and Space for the Options button. So far I've put the reset (touchpad) on R, but that seems a bit dangerous.. so thanks for the tip, I'll probably move it to something far away from anything else :D 

Putting a Bomb on Space sounds like a good idea, though.. Might try that as well. 

Thanks again for your help! I'll report whether switching the controller helped :)

42 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Well, thanks a lot for the response! Really appreciate any help :)

Nothing fancy, really. It's a wired HP keyboard, no fancy lights or anything that could be consuming too much power. I'll have to add, though, that I am not plugging in a mouse (since I don't need one). Were you having one plugged in at all times?

This is definitely something I need to try out then. I have four controllers, so hopefully one will work! I have the settings to "never switch off", and I've read that I should disable the vibrate function..? I haven't done that yet ,but it might be worth trying out as well. 

I don't think my controller is charging when plugged into the Xim4, though... Or at least it doesn't look like it, since it doesn't emit any lights and cannot be switched on unless I unplug it from the Xim. That sounds a bit like what you are describing, only delayed... 

I have a similar setup. I started a custom profile on the Xim app, and I'm using the arrows for movement, A -> Square, W -> Triangle, D -> Circle and S -> X, additionally I have Q and E as L1 and R1, respectively, and Space for the Options button. So far I've put the reset (touchpad) on R, but that seems a bit dangerous.. so thanks for the tip, I'll probably move it to something far away from anything else :D 

Putting a Bomb on Space sounds like a good idea, though.. Might try that as well. 

Thanks again for your help! I'll report whether switching the controller helped :)

That keyboard is good enough. No I didn't plug in a mouse either. It's not required.

Simply try out a few different controllers and if that doesn't work there's got to be something else. This issue definitely needs to be fixed though, as otherwise you're unable to play Aria and/or Coda.

Settings are fine too. I'm pretty sure you'll get used to the buttons in no-time.

Edited by Floriiss
  • Like 1