Addicted to Trophies Help

DansomeTV

14 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

I understand I have similar problem trying to atain high completion rate of over 90%, even thinking about trying to get to 90% but is it worth it.The problem there is so many DLC's that come out that is lowers my completion rate and costs money as well.

Yeah I was an idiot and didn't think about the DLC component when I originally started.

You mentioned Cod, those games are notorious for having a lot of annoying and overpriced DLC. 

Two suggestions:

1. Have 2 Accounts one for guilty pleasures like CoD and 2K and the other meant solely for trophies. 

2. Go my route and just play whatever suits your fancy, the trophies I hide are games I got the online trophies to and dont plan on touching anytime soon or games I dont currently own and can't play, you can enjoy a lot of games just by not caring and having fun with it. Hell, I even go back and play my other consoles and PC. 

I usually do as you mentioned and aim for 100%s although having a 100% account is not worth it. You gotta play too cautious and research everything, sometimes even gamble on high risk games like oncoming shutdowns.

I also mix it up and do 100%s, in the end I am still a trophy whore. :)

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666
  • Like 2

What is your goal with gaming and what brings you the most personal satisfaction? From there, you can then find creative ways in achieving your gaming goals while enjoying the journey. Personally, I strive for a high completion % and high number of plats thereby increasing my trophy level and climbing up the leaderboards. Yes, revisiting a game once DLC trophies drop can be a pain, but I find a good challenge in that. I suggest do your due diligence before purchasing a game and make an informed purchasing decision. You can also play games on an alt account if that is your desire. The struggle is real buddy. I can relate and feel for ya! :)

Edited by MrTrofyHuntr
misspell
  • Like 1

If you don't want to spent so much money on games + their dlcs then you can wait for either a complete edition or buy a game right at the start, buy the dlc when it's on a sale. Or sell the game after you played it once and buy the complete edition later on.

I normally wait for all dlc being released to see length and difficulty, that way i can estimate if i'm up for the challenge or not...

• Like 1

Well, your profile doesn’t look that bad if you want 100%. I’m actually the same, but dlcs get out of control and I have just accepted I cant 100% everything, even though I try to maintain a high completion rate.

I will relate my experience from just a few weeks; Destiny 2 expansion was scheduled for September and I know big ones always brings trophies, so I bought the annual pass (to get ready for it) and got f*cking astonished by the content I had to do, even if they didnt entail trophies, I still wanted to complete seals.. (yeah), being conscious of the ridiculous grind loop Destiny puts you on gave me even more anxiety since I knew I was wasting my time (I just said to my self to buy the latest expansion for trophies and then never ever buy Destiny 3 -yeah im buying that expansion solely for 100%-), so I decided to not give a fuck about the 100% since I have a few uncompleted games anyway and its not worth the anxiety, so I deleted it and Im not planning to buy that dlc (maybe if its really cheap later, I have time, and the trophies are easy enough).

First days you might think about it, but it just goes away in time and you get accustomed. Willpower needs to be trained, its not something you get by birth or anything, I would also advice to do at least one thing you doesn’t want everyday (but maybe you are already doing that since trophy hunters sometimes do that for that sweet 100%), no but really, like a FULL cold shower.

Being conscious is the first step, taking action is the second and hardest one, after that is just enduring the blows of your mind (let the thoughts pass).

You can always hide a few games too by the way ?, but you should also consider stop playing free online games or heavy online games since those are the worst for a 100% profile. There are great games for 10-20€ always on sale waiting for you with their full season pass, meanwhile, the new games will eventually be on sale as well and the loops goes on, unless you are like me that completely burns through the content.

Edited by BlackTorito
  • Like 3

I appreciate the ideas and suggestions folks!

A few people have commented on my profile not "looking too bad" and that's because I don't buy games for trophies, I only buy games I want to play. The problem is a lot of those end up being time dumps with tons of DLC, I have a lot of really tough or at least time consuming games on my list.

I thought about the idea of two accounts but decided against that, I like the idea of ownership as nutty as that sounds. It's almost like having a mistress - I could cheat on my main profile to have a side piece, but I'll get bored of the side piece eventually.

What I haven't seen suggested and what I've been thinking about doing is just plunging into the deep end head first. By that, I mean I'm going to buy NBA2k20 when it releases and that game will undoubtedly be a trophy nightmare and I'll be forced to just deal with it. I'm not going to give up years of digital purchases and hard work to make a new profile. I'm hoping that by putting myself in an uncomfortable position (having a game I'll never complete) that I'll get more used to it and can be a normal person soon.

Us trophy hunters are actually insane lol or maybe it's just me ?

1 hour ago, dansomekid said:

A few people have commented on my profile not "looking too bad" and that's because I don't buy games for trophies, I only buy games I want to play. The problem is a lot of those end up being time dumps with tons of DLC, I have a lot of really tough or at least time consuming games on my list.

I thought about the idea of two accounts but decided against that, I like the idea of ownership as nutty as that sounds. It's almost like having a mistress - I could cheat on my main profile to have a side piece, but I'll get bored of the side piece eventually.

What I haven't seen suggested and what I've been thinking about doing is just plunging into the deep end head first. By that, I mean I'm going to buy NBA2k20 when it releases and that game will undoubtedly be a trophy nightmare and I'll be forced to just deal with it. I'm not going to give up years of digital purchases and hard work to make a new profile. I'm hoping that by putting myself in an uncomfortable position (having a game I'll never complete) that I'll get more used to it and can be a normal person soon.

Us trophy hunters are actually insane lol or maybe it's just me 1f608.png

Well thats the point, you can’t break your line of thought without being on the ‘shit’, so yeah, thats a good idea.

You can also just leave a few of your current games you actually don’t want to play anymore incompleted (if you really don’t want to play them anymore).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dansomekid said:

Us trophy hunters are actually insane lol or maybe it's just me 1f608.png

Ahah definitly not just you ! ^^

Often when I'm doing stupid stuff for trophies, i stop a few seconds and say to myself "Why the hell am I wasting my time with such a stupid thing ?", and then I just keep doing it -_-

For example I hate games with collectibles ! But if a trophy is about collectibles, i will definitly go for them ... if no trophy about it, i just ignore them with a lot of joy :D (even if it's pretty rare when a game has collectibles but no trophy about it -_-)

Sadly I can't help you with it cause I have the same problem :)

About DLC, if it really annoy you, maybe here is a new approach for you :

-> Just go for platinum, ignore DLC, and when you check leaderboards with people having the same amount of points as you, just compare the number of platinums ^^

If you don't do DLC and games without platinums, yours will be higher => Enough for your ego boost maybe ? Ôô (if I can call it like that ^^)

Edited by seblegamer
typo
  • Like 1

I understand completely, my brother & I'll give you some suggestions:

• Play games that don't have any DLC trophies (there are a lot of excellent titles like, Yakuza series, God Of War series, Ico series, Tekken series etc.).
  • If you want to play newest games that have DLC trophies, ether buy a Deluxe Edition on disc or wait for a sale of Digital Deluxe Edition on PSstore.
  • Don't buy games for which servers are shut down/shutting down.
  • Fight the temptations!

Best of luck to you & your family & happy gaming, dude!

• Like 2

Playing games on a platform with no trophies/achievements might help you change your mindset about gaming and help see it's not just about achieving but more about enjoying the games themselves. I've been playing more on Nintendo's consoles and PC lately and haven't felt like playing anything on Playstation platforms at all.

I have experiences of trophy hunting where striving to "perfection" only ruins the experience and an otherwise great game turns into an aggravating and unpleasant chore. I've sometimes wished I had stopped playing after just completing the story to have better memories of the game.
Yakuza 0 was a great eye opener for me when I was planning to go for 100% completion in the minigames only to find out it was nearly a never-ending grind. I had seen everything the game has to offer, why would I need to win a ridiculous RNG minigame 30 more times just to get a trophy? I didn't want to waste my life continuing as there are plenty of other quality games and things to spend my limited time on.

Money is infinite but your time is limited and the most valuable resource. If you feel going for trophies affects you negatively and you're not having fun, try to step away and move on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

trust me, once you find out what the *real* problem is, and work on it, youll realise it had nothing to do with trophies. you think it is because its whats triggering it. like you said, its a vicious loop to get into and a hard one to get out of again. i wish you the best of luck dude and i hope you find a solution, you wont find it on here.

That's a good advice. I had a pretty bad achievement addiction when I played on PC but once I made a self-analysis of my problem and figured out where it came from I was able to fight it. My parents didnt had money to expend on games during my childhood and I had to play the same game for months until I explored it inside and out, I had games that I 100% 3 or 4 times for nowadays standards that is nuts. But now that I am at a good financial state and can buy anything I want the old habit is still there. Knowing where my guilt of not completing games came from made a lot easier to fight it, I still go for 100% because I think its fun but I am totally cool to let games sit at any % like AC Odyssey I don't know if I will ever play that game again and its sitting there at 20% and it doesn't bother me.

Edited by Montyzu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristycism said:

I can maybe help a little with this as I used to have the same problem and only recently overcame it!

Try starting a game that will take several months to complete because it requires real time to pass. E.g. anything that has “seasons” where you’ll need to check in at several points or something. I personally chose Rayman Legends for this because it’s got Daily Challenges and you need to complete them for a couple of months with no way of speeding it up.

Once you’ve got everything done besides that real-time requirement, you’re not going to want to just not play any game at all for the next few months (since you only need 5-10 mins for the Challenges each day) so you’ll be more likely to start a new game during that time (and just play the other game here and there on the side as you do so), giving you two games on the go instead of one.

Doing it once makes you realise “having multiple games on the go at once” isn’t actually as bad as you thought. I currently have 5 on-going (though one is almost done, it was just DLC and wasn’t intended to be an ongoing game right now, and Idle Champions is another that requires the passing of real weeks/months to do) - and I’m fine with that because I know I’ll complete them all eventually so it’s not a big deal that they’re incomplete right now. And actually, I don’t really enjoy Dauntless, so being able to put it aside until I feel like playing it has been super healthy, I don’t feel “forced” (by myself) to play it when I don’t really want to because I know I’ll return to it later and it won’t sit at not-100% forever.

It’s worth trying out to see if it helps you :) I know it definitely helped me, because I used to be exactly like you in that regard, but now I’m a lot more chill about playing multiple games at once and switching between them as I feel like it.

Sometimes I play Fortnite and I do so because it doesn’t have any trophies but does have challenges I can complete on a daily basis. It’s easy to go back and forth in between a few games. It’s also a way to play with friends. I guess if I could find other such games without trophies to play with friends, it would be great.

Anyway, thank you for your response ?

• Like 1

I put a lot of emphasis on completing my games, but due to server closures(Resistance 2), delisted and unreleased DLC, I will never have a 100% profile. However, I keep going because I genuinely enjoy playing the games and collecting all of the trophies. I have also spent a staggering amount of money and time on this profile that I am unwilling to throw away.

With that said, there are certainly times where I can definitely admit a trophy has ruined a game for me, but that kinda comes with the territory. You are not going to like every aspect of every game.

I can 100% relate to your DLC issues. I have spent 100's of dollars on DLC and in a lot of cases, feel completely cheated by the lack of content they give out for the price tag. That said, you need to look for sales and understand trends.

Most season passes do go on sale and patience is key. You also need to keep an eye out for physical GOTY editions. These are a great way to get overpriced DLC for a very cheap price.

For example, I decided to finish Skyrim on the PS3 a few years ago, but they still have the nerve to charge $20 for their DLC in 2019, but you can literally find the GOTY edition for under 20 on eBay and it includes both of the DLCs.

The best advice I can give is to use other games in the series to determine if there will be DLC trophies. There really is a pattern when you look at them.

Based on your profile, I don't think its too late to make a new one with the intention of getting 100% completion, but you should really make sure that's what you really want.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dansomekid said:

I'm at the point now where I hate gaming sometimes.

Its easy I'm sure for people to look at my problem and say "just dont go for trophies then," but then I feel like I'm wasting my time gaming because i dont have a goal, because of the habit I've built over time. It's a vicious loop and I'm sure it sounds psychotic but this shit stresses me out

You're using some phrases that are queues for seeking professional help. One of the first things I'd frankly suggest is self assessment to how much this is impacting your thoughts and actions throughout a typical day. If you find this influencing things outside gaming, I highly advise you talk to someone about how you're feeling. There is no shame in getting help.

If you are just looking for coping strategy and this isn't really a big deal and doesn't impact you outside gaming you'll want to look at the restrictions you set up for yourself and decide if they're all worth keeping or if you can give yourself some flexibility on some of them to reduce the stress you put on yourself. See if all those restrictions really make sense for what you want to get out of them.

100% completion on games

only buy games I WANT

get my money's worth

games release dlc... trophies, making my game no longer be 100%. This really triggers me, like a lot, and has ended up costing me way more money than anticipated

[never attempt] unobtainable, which would ruin my 100%

Is all this stress worth it to "get your money's worth"? Do all of these really contribute to getting your money's worth? Maybe you can measure it in a different way and say a game has to provide at least X hours per $ to get your money's worth.

I'm wasting my time gaming because i dont have a goal, because of the habit I've built over time.

Stuff changes all the time, whether we want it to or not. It's okay to change your goals or habits if you're not getting out of them what you used to.

• Like 4