Why do people say this isn't as good as the rest?

2 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Underwhelming story, the batmobile is extremely clunky, ran like shit at launch (quite buggy), incredibly stupid & obvious twist (Arkham Knight), lack of decent boss fights.

I like this game but for all of the build up we got in Asylum and City, it just didn't pay off in a satisfying way.

The polish on the combat system was great and getting around the city (in the air) is fun as hell, and while I had 'some' fun with the Batmobile it seemed like Rocksteady really went out of their way to make it relevant for certain parts of the game - the batmobile boss fights/riddler quests got very dull, very quickly, and it became a very unwelcome addition in the last third of the game. Yes, it was a nice way to mix up traversing around the city and what we have come to expect from the fights, but I don't think it was necessary to tie so much of the gameplay to it.

Asylum/City had tighter pacing and some decent actual villains to hold the story up compared to AK.

Just my opinion though!

I can see where you're coming from now. Except for the batmobile being clunky, probably got fixed over time after launch then. I'm hoping rocksteady's next game is a some form of Justice League !

• Like 1

I didn't really mind the Batmobile stuff at the time although maybe if I played it now I would think differently but for me I didn't really like the story that much and the twist was kind of predictable. I also felt let down with the ending considering how much build up there was to it. It just seemed to end and didn't really feel satisfying.

Otherwise I didn't have much issue with anything else like the combat and exploration. It was cool to fly around Gotham on the scale they did. I would love it if RockSteady did a Batman Beyond game like that.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it, but don't think it's as good as City. Like others have mentioned, the Batmobile was used way too much. I got to a point where I wouldn't even think about using other gadgets to solve certain riddler challenges because I'd always be thinking about how the Batmobile could be used to solve the riddle. This game may as well have been called Batman: Arkham Vehicle or World of Tanks: Batmobile Edition with the number of tank battles there were. 

Another big issue was the boss fights if you could even call them that. Villains like Deathstroke that could have provided an awesome fight were wasted on things like a forgettable tank battle. The Season of Infamy DLC made an okay effort at trying to rectify that. 

The story was okay, but the Arkham Knight was a pointless plot twist that most people probably saw coming. This, coupled with a focus on the Joker yet again caused Scarecrow who was supposed to be the big bad, to take a backseat. Given more focus, I think he could have been a very memorable villain here.

Aside from those issues, I think the game is stunning graphically. It's still one of the best looking games this generation in my opinion. The combat was also pretty well done, although it does show its flaws particularly when you play some of the community combat challenges. My favourite part of the game were the predator sections because it gives you the chance to analyze situations and make use of a lot of your gadgets. The game definitely could have used more of these sections and less Batmobile.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Underwhelming story, the batmobile is extremely clunky, ran like shit at launch (quite buggy), incredibly stupid & obvious twist (Arkham Knight), lack of decent boss fights.

I like this game but for all of the build up we got in Asylum and City, it just didn't pay off in a satisfying way.

The polish on the combat system was great and getting around the city (in the air) is fun as hell, and while I had 'some' fun with the Batmobile it seemed like Rocksteady really went out of their way to make it relevant for certain parts of the game - the batmobile boss fights/riddler quests got very dull, very quickly, and it became a very unwelcome addition in the last third of the game. Yes, it was a nice way to mix up traversing around the city and what we have come to expect from the fights, but I don't think it was necessary to tie so much of the gameplay to it.

Asylum/City had tighter pacing and some decent actual villains to hold the story up compared to AK.

Just my opinion though!

nuf said!

this basically said it all and better.

I bet if there's a sequel Rocksteady will gonna makes it center around the Batwing and all of a sudden all the enemies now fly planes and most of your time you will be spending it on Dogs Fights and flying through rings and the stupid riddler will hide his puzzles in the clouds and on birds nests and flood the sky with drones that you can only get rid of them by shooting them down with the Batwing.

• Like 3

Honestly, it's higly likely that people just had crazy expectations for this one. And when that happens gamers often want the developer to justify for their personal illusions and inability to see the bigger picture.

It's always easier to judge a game if you're not on the initial hypetrain and, since you've played this just a few days ago I presume, that may be very well the case for you.

Also: You don't really have to care for what other people say about a game. If you liked it, great! More good games for you. You don't have to justify your opinion.

• Like 1

I didn't mind Batmobile sections, but my issue with AK was that story is too long in comparison to what game has to offer.

Game was a blast 80% time of story mode, but after discovering identity of Arkham Knight, game started to repeat the same obstacles over and over. Stealth section, fighting 10-20 mooks, fighting few tanks with Batmobile, rinse and repeat. It felt like a chore even on easy difficulty. Side quest were more engaging, but many of them also felt repetitive.

I consider Asylum as a better game because, while shorter, was much more action-packed and there were less opportunity to be bored for a player.

IMO It’s fine, but it’s flabby. Too long, and too much emphasis on bigger rather than better.

Asylum was so tight and well crafted, it felt like every location was meticulously detailed and crafted. As the scope got bigger in City, then Knight, you ended spending less and less time mastering mechanics and exploring every nook and cranny, in favour of just doing a thing and moving on, and so it all felt much more disposable and workman-like.

5 hours ago, GabeUnbroken said:

I can see where you're coming from now. Except for the batmobile being clunky, probably got fixed over time after launch then. I'm hoping rocksteady's next game is a some form of Justice League !

Or the TMNT game they promised long ago.

I've played the Batman games back to back, more or less you could say.

Arkham Knight was my favourite, no doubt about it. Gameplay wise, it was much smoother, the fighting was way better. Trophy wise it was also much better.

I friggin hated City for the abnormal amount of Riddler trophies and DLC challenge trophies. The Batmobile DLC trophies werent good aswell, but it was peanuts in comparison.

• Like 4

Here is an unpopular opinion. Most of the people have a really thick nostalgia goggles for Akrham City. That is sometimes(or maybe usually) happens with a long-running series. Especially I like how people say that the side quests were way better in Citythan in Knight. Yeah, of course. "Hey, Bats, find 8 barrels of venom throught the city."  Oh, here is the same boss-fight that you already done in the story, but with a different villian(mad hatter)! I dunno, it's like we played the different games. I don't want to say that the side content of Knight is a masterpiece, but people tend to give City too much credit in that regard. Also the story can be a hit or miss. I personally don't like the way City handles the villains. Too much characters are getting involved in one storyline.

Spoiler

I need a cure for Joker-disease, than I need to find a Mr.Freeze, who happened to be imprisoned by Penguin. But we also need a blood of immortal, which is the Ra's Al Ghul, whose league's member just happened to pass by during our dialogue with Freeze and now we can track him to Ra's. So on and so on.

I have not played Origins, but I think that Asylum and Knight stand on par in terms of quality, but the gameplay of Knight is much more detailed and polished over the years. The City is the worst entry out of all three. Gladly replayed Asylum back in 2015 and Knight back in 2018, but couldn't get through City one more time. 

• Like 1

This one is definitely my favorite. I know its the unpopular opinion, but this one added more new gameplay functions and new game mechanics than any other, and was a breath of fresh air. Felt like an "upgraded" Arkham City.

Knight > City > Asylum > Blackgate > Origins

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This has some really good moments like with the batmobile and the batclaw.

Ejecting out of the batmoblie or getting that evtra boost from the batclaw then gliding over the city is so much fun.

On the other hand there are some things that a really pissing me off.

Why does batman have to contact someone what seems like every minute of the game. It ruins the flow. It got to the point where the dialogue had to be muted. 

One thing I'm having trouble with is the control layout. It makes learning the controls for RDR2 a walk in the park.

Arkham Knight and Arkham City are amazing games (Arkham Asylum is not as good but knowing that it was the first one on a new IP gave it a lot of merit), but the thing that I most like of this Arkham games is the gameplay and fighting... I love to fight on this game and just looking at that point Arkham Knight is a lot better than City, the new combos, gadgets, counters, speed and hell even the duo fights are fun, Arkham Knight is the only game were I played all the DLC to get all three stars on all the fighting stages with all characters just for the fun of it because it isn't needed for the trophies, each charcater with their unique combos and playstyle, the sadist Red Hood, the Crazy Harley Quinn... Or the faster, stylish and lovely version of Batman that is Batgirl xD

And I don't know how bad was the batmobile at launch because when I played it more than a year later what pretty responsive and amazing, the battles and races were great (maybe the only thing is that some Riddler stages were accomodated for the batmobile... Pretty strange, huh? haha), and the DLC races... Playing with the Batmobile of Batman Returns, watching the damn penguins with the rockets and the original soundtrack of the movie... Or racing on the stage of the classic batman series... Damn this game was delicious for any batman fan....

P.S. The pic on my trophy card is from the DLC of Batgirl taken on Photo Mode... ?

Edited by DeepEyes7

On 7/24/2019 at 0:02 AM, GabeUnbroken said:

People say that Arkham Knight is not as good as city or asylum. I think so far its the best one and don't understand the criticisms. Most I heard is that the bat mobile isn't good, but to me feels very fluid and fun.

Batmobile, and riddler races, also the Requiem for a Killer would be reasons. 

23 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Not everybody is good enough at combos to get Croc to come out. 

But well, we can say that of a lot of games with hard trophies (And for that trophy the skill that you require is just and plain patience), you can't make that as a bad point... I can't say that DMC5 isn't a good game just because I'm bad at getting S ranks on higher difficult settings.... And you don't even need that trophy for the plat (But I know, I don't like to left my trophy lists incomplete either...)

Edited by DeepEyes7