Your Top 3 Emotional Moments in Gaming (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Hey gang! Hope everyone is having a good week! 

For those of you that don't know, @ChernobylNinja and I run a podcast titled, "Plat Cast", where we often ask you folks questions here and discuss your answers on our show. This week, we have a Patreon provided question that asks: 

"What are your top 3 emotional moments in gaming?"

What moments brought you to tears? Made you mad? Bummed you out? Excited you? Or just put you in awe? Make sure to put some spoiler warnings if you feel they're necessary! 

Let us know! Until then, be sure to join our Discord over at: https://t.co/ayqM2pr6eq?amp=1

Looking forward to reading your answers! 

• Like 1

Going to keep it short and sweet.

*potential spoilers*

1 - The giraffe scene in the last of us. Such a great game overall but that scene was really something else in contrast to the rest of the game 

2 - Learning the connection between your character and Comstock in Bioshock: infinite.

I remember literally having my jaw dropped for pretty much that entire final scene.

3 - Your poor horse in RDR2 - that scene was more emotional than I'd like to admit

Edited by HugsBeforeDrugs_
  • Like 3

1. Pretty much my entire playthrough of Actual Sunlight, especially towards the end of the game. It's an obscure game, but it follows a depressed man in his day-to-day life, and it's filled with lots of text / commentaries about his life and how he views the world. It hits hard, had me in tears.

2. Another one that had me in tears was the end of TellTale's Walking Dead (Season 1). Not going to spoil it, but if you know, you know (again, one of the few times I've cried from a video game) -_-

3. Ending of Uncharted 4. I grew really attached to the series, and I was unbelievably hyped for the game. Again, no spoilers, but the last few chapters of the game had me on edge.

• Like 1

Spoilers ahead

1. The ending of Metal Gear Solid 3. The sacrifice of the Boss. Naked Snake killing his own mentor affected and altered the course of his life forever. Receiving the award and just walking away with disgust from the President. Saluting her grave, that part, made me actually cry.

2. The Last of Us. Joel's daughter dying at the beginning of the game. What actually impacted even more is that after it said 20 years later. Man...

3. Demon's Souls. Killing Garl Vinland, then listening to what Maiden Astraea says when I approach her. Music fits the mood ;(

Edited by Chocolate GiddyUp
  • Like 4

So here goes nothing i suppose, I try to keep this short. 

1. Kingdom Hearts 1's ending- Just one of those endings that gets you right in the feels and had a very great song to play with it. 

2.  Final Fantasy X-2- Chapter 4 thunder plains had one of the most incredible scenes in the game that just made me love Final Fantasy for what its is. 

3. this one is going to get a spoiler tag Tales Of Zesteria 

Spoiler

Dezel death, when you see one of your favorite character die it hits you hard, especially since Zeseteria story can be rough but this one hit me. And to top it all off getting Zaveid as Dezel replacement made me mad as hell because no one can replace Dezel. 

• Like 3

1) I popped off pretty hard for Farewell, My Turnabout's conclusion in Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All, it was very spicy stuff.

2) Gonna second Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls. Gut-wrenching moment in a very tragic story.

3) A certain character's death in My Time at Portia caught me off guard (as it does with a lot of people). I'm glad they updated the game so you can work to save them but I also kind of liked the emotional impact of having someone actually die in a game like that

1. Marvel's Spider-Man - The ending crushed my heart
  2. Detroit Become Human - Connor and Hank's good ending made me feel warm and fuzzy
  3. Kingdom Hearts 1 - The ending crushed my heart and made me feel warm and fuzzy

1. Silent Hill 3 -

Spoiler

The death of

Harry Mason

2. Killer7 - Last scene involving Garcian Smith and the realization who he is.

3. Bioshock Infinite - Booker and Comstock connection and the connection between the Infinite dlc and the first game.

Bonus: FFXV - The Ending, but especially the part where Noctis joins Luna on the main menu of the game. That was so sad and yet so very well done.

Edited by Ptirle

Top 3 for me.

1. After spending 3-4 hours a night, 7 days a week, for 5 weeks, my Elder Scrolls Online guild beat what was (at the time) the hardest piece of content in the game: Veteran Maw of Lorkhaj hard mode. If a trophy existed for such a thing, it would probably be my rarest trophy. 

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 towards the end of the game. Major spoilers if you haven’t played it yet. 

Spoiler

Arthur getting diagnosed with TB, his last ride, his death. Basically the whole ending of the story was an emotional rollercoaster

3. The day I got Impossible Boy because of course. 

• Like 3

1) Persona 4 Golden

Spoiler

The ending. After spending nearly 100 hours with the crew in Inaba, it truly felt like I was leaving real friends behind. The reunion in the true ending was top notch. Tears were shed. Chie best girl, fight me.

2) Bioshock / Bioshock Infinite

Spoiler

The 'Would You Kindly' reveal was the first time in a game where the storytelling absolutely blew me away. Basically the entire ending of Bioshock Infinite and the Burial at Sea DLC ending both warped my mind and stuck with me long after I was done playing. Elizabeth's death was heart wrenching.

3) South Park: The Stick of Truth

Spoiler

The boss fight with the underpants gnomes. On your parents' bed. While they are having sex. I literally fell out of my chair laughing when the prompt came up to dodge your Dad's balls in the middle of the fight. Genius.

• Like 1

Okay, let's see ... There are a lot of great emotional moments in gaming, that packed a wallop.

- FFX (ending):

Spoiler

When Tidus and Yuna say goodbye at the end on the airship, that final embrace along with the excellent soundtrack sent huge shivers up my spine. Fantastic ending and ditto game.

- MGS4 (ending):

Spoiler

The part where Otacon tells Sunny teary-eyed: "Snake ... Needs some time to rest." This took place right after the cutscene where it's implied that Snake shot himself in the cemetery. I was on the verge of tears at that point. MGS is such a legendary franchise, and same goes for Solid Snake.

- BioShock Infinite: someone already pointed it out, but the entire ending, right after the final battle, just made my jaw drop. Seeing how the whole thing fits together was just amazing. I remember it had such a big impact on me, that the ending lingered in my mind for the rest of the evening after I finished it. I was unable to play anything else, I just sat here and contemplated the whole storyline.

- The Last of Us (Remastered):

Spoiler

The giraffe scene always gets pointed out, and although it was cute, I was not emotionally moved really by the giraffe (despite it being really cool and touching). The part that really hit me, was the sequence where Joel tries to outrun the Firefly soldiers with Ellie in his arms at the end in the hospital. The flashback to the very beginning of the game, along with yet another excellent soundtrack, really hit home for me. Joel lost one daughter already, he wasn't going to give up on this one, and that scene oozed emotion and determination all at once.

That's also what really annoys me at times. People always think Joel is a bad guy because he took Ellie away from the Fireflies. The situation is much more complicated than that; he wants to protect her because she's one of the very few things left that he cares about in this world. And why surrender her to a faction that is just going to seize power with a vaccine, in a world that has - in all honesty - already gone full FUBAR? There's a lot of grey matter here to go through, and you can discuss his motivations, so I won't go into too much detail over here. But I completely understand why Joel did it, and that scene in the hospital was very powerful, where everything sort of came together.

- NieR: Automata: the credits. I don't think I need to add anything else to this entry. If you played it, you'll understand.

- Red Dead Redemption 2 (ending):

Spoiler

My trusty horse dying was painful to watch, but seeing Arthur suffer on the ground, dying, as Micah Bell tries to escape with Dutch ... There is this one moment that hit the feels for me, and where I started to truly mourn his character.

Micah, to Dutch: "We made it. We won. Come on."

Arthur, as he lies on the ground dying: "John made it."

The way that particular line was delivered, was just incredible. It hurt to see him suffer like that and feeling the physical and emotional pain in his voice, after he started redeeming himself and saved John. Hats off to the actor, he did a phenomenal job. Oh, and Arthur's actual ending was really sad to witness, how he crawls to the edge of the rock and succumbs to his illness watching the sunrise, supported by - yet again - an amazing soundtrack. Such an excellent game.

I'll gladly confess I got a lot of satisfaction out of that final mission, taking revenge for Arthur as John. Micah deserved every single bullet I shot in his balls and his face. And then some.

- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (ending):

Spoiler

The good ending on the rock, where Kassandra (my main), Alexios and their mother embrace, after having finally saved her brother from the Cult of Kosmos. A truly touching and wonderful moment to witness that made me smile.

- Valiant Hearts: The Great War (ending):

Spoiler

The moment where Emile walks towards the pole to be executed by firing squad. The accompanying piano music and his monologue turned it into such a tearjerker.

The first time I played this, I remember stopping just short of the pole, and letting the piano music continue, not wanting to accept that Emile was going to get executed. And he just stood there for what seemed like an eternity, until finally, I just accepted it and finished the sequence. Underrated game, deserves more praise and recognition.

Maybe it just has more gravitas for me, because I'm from Belgium and we have a very important world war history (in both of them).

- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch:

Spoiler

After defeating Shadar, Oliver is finally able to say farewell to his mother. Really touching moment.

Also, Joe Hisaishi is a musical heavyweight champion.

These are the ones I could think of right now, but honestly, you could put down even more entries. This is all the time I have for now to write down my contribution. ;)

Also, big thumbs up to OP for creating this thread!

Edit: just read that we can only put down our top three entries ... Whoops. :D

Let's say if I'd have to pick from my entries, I'd enter a top 3 as follows:

1. BioShock Infinite entry

2. The Last of Us entry

3. NieR: Automata entry

But to be frank, at the end of the day, I'd put most of them on the same level of emotional punch, just because they are all so captivating in their own right.

Edited by JoaLoft
I put down way more entries than allowed ... lol
  • Like 4

1. Bayonetta:

The final Jeanne fight and the cutscene after it. The music was top notch.

2. The Witcher 3:

Achieving the bad ending.

3. The Last of Us:

The cutscene where Ellie tries to drag wounded Joel out of the university.

• Like 1

I don’t normally post on the forums but this caught my eye

1. Suikoden on ps1 yes way back in the good old days.  When gremio dies saving you all broke me, but if you collect all 107 other characters the witch brings him back

2. The last of us this game had more ups and downs than an old wooden rollercoaster from the opening 5 minutes where your daughter dies to the giraffe seen. But the bit I always remember is when Joel goes off the edge of the balcony and gets hurt and the baddies are going after Ellie. I twisted my ps3 controller in 2 during that scene had to run to Argos to get a new one to finish the game

3. Red dead redemption 2 probably the last couple of missions, horse etc. Everyone knows what I’m talking about

• Like 1

1 - the "kiss scene" at crystal lake between Tidus and Yuna in Final Fantasy X while Suteki Da Ne was playing in the background

2 - Joel and Ellie at the hospital just before the ending in The Last of Us

3 - Nathan and Elena when they were in the car section in Uncharted 4

(...and too many more)

Edited by X_Wizi_X
  • Like 1

1) Just watching the intro video for Tales of Xillia. It didn't affect me until after I beat the game, but whenever I watch the opening video now (or even listen to the song), I start remembering how great that entire gaming experience was. In fact, Tales games are just so good that I get misty-eyed during a lot of the opening videos (Berseria, Zestiria, and Xillia 2 hit me hard too).

2) The story progression in NERO. This game tells a super sad story, but you don't know it until you're about halfway through the game, and it reveals everything in such a great progression that allows it to build the emotion up inside you. It's really hard to say anything about this game without giving away major plot points, so I'll just leave it at that.

3) I'll second this:

1 hour ago, JoaLoft said:

- Valiant Hearts: The Great War (ending):

Reveal hidden contents

The moment where Emile walks towards the pole to be executed by firing squad. The accompanying piano music and his monologue turned it into such a tearjerker.

The first time I played this, I remember stopping just short of the pole, and letting the piano music continue, not wanting to accept that Emile was going to get executed. And he just stood there for what seemed like an eternity, until finally, I just accepted it and finished the sequence. Underrated game, deserves more praise and recognition.

Maybe it just has more gravitas for me, because I'm from Belgium and we have a very important world war history (in both of them).

But I'll also take it a step further and say that it started getting me in the feels when:

Spoiler

you are playing through Emile's final part and his superior is leading him and his men into what is essentially a no-win combat situation.

Both my husband and dad were in the military and I just think that they could have been commanded into a terrible situation just as easily as both of them served in combat roles and actually did see combat.

Two honorable mentions would be:

4) Actual Sunlight's ending. Though it actually leaves you feeling a bit shocked and a little dead inside, rather than full of emotion, as you don't expect the game to end the way it does.

5) When you actually find out the horrors that Alice and her sister dealt with in Alice: Madness Returns. It is both sad and incredibly sickening at the same time. I had such internalized rage for several days after that game's ending.

• Like 1

1. Kingdom Hearts: actually there were a lot of unforgettable moments. But if I should pick one, then I go for Xion's death in 358/2 Days with her theme on the background. Roxas forgets her, then he suddenly remembers her name and screams "Who else will I have ice creams with?" And the final tear... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anqS-YA3v-g

2. Valkyria Chronicles: again, another death scene which was completely unexpected.

Isara...

But also most of the story was very good and full of emotions!

3. Final Fantasy XV: after the disaster in Altissia when you reach Cartanica. That was really sad: Luna was killed, Ignis had become blind (and you have no idea about the reason until you played the Ignis DLC) and the music at the station with the sunset... Wow! And the friendship of the group slowly crumbles down...

4. NieR: Emil's sacrifice and its fear while he's inside the protective spell before the darkness swallows him. But also his scream when he destroyed the aerial town...

5. Last but not least: I pick up the Xillia opening from @eigen-space, but I always watch the "full" opening version. I don't know if it's official or it was made by a fan, but it's really well done and I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98IwmzO6tIk

And I add also the Vesperia opening (after I beated the game it reminded me all the long and fun adventure I had with these characters), but not the Definitive Edition version, the previous one with the Rita scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4LqfqpdSE

Oh wait, I saw now that I had to pick up only 3... :facepalm: It was already difficult with 5...

Edited by Phoenix_argentea
  • Like 1

1. Red Dead Redemption 2

Spoiler

The bit at the end of RDR2 where your horse gets caught in gunfire and drops. And it's laying there in utter distress, panic and pain. I had my horse for the hundred or so hours i spent in that game. It was my true companion and when she dropped I literally shouted at my TV, my heart dropped and my eyes began to well up. The point that pushed me over was when Arthur crawls over to her and thanks her for everything. It was unexpected and really heartbreaking, that even in all that gunfire and madness, he put himself in even more harms way to console her a bit, give her some comfort and familiarity before she died and to thank her for all the support she'd given him. That got me more than any videogame has in a long long time. I'm feeling a bit choked up just thinking about it now.

2. Spider-Man

Spoiler

The part where Peter has to make a choice between using the cure to save just Aunt May or use it to synthesise more and save thousands of others. And he just breaks down and says that he doesn't know what to do. It was such a tragic situation and a moment of pure hopelessness for him who is usually a beacon of positivity and optimism no matter what is thrown his way. But i think because he'd already lost Ben and now he was on the verge of losing May it shook him to the core. The twist being that this time around, he actually had the power to fix it, but it came with a huge price and it completely broke his demeanour.

3. Bioshock Infinite

Spoiler

At the end when Elizabeth opens a tear to Rapture, placing her and Booker on the safe side of the glass and the Songbird on the other side underwater. The pressure starts to crack and it starts to panic. And for a brief moment, nothing else matters bar the two of them, you are just an observer as she tries to soothe it while it dies in the cold and pressure. It really changed how I looked at the relationship between Elizabeth and the Songbird (casting aside the theories that it's a version of Booker/comstock) it was a very heartfelt moment and it really got me.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

Spoilers!

Spoiler

1. The Last Of Us - Sarah's death, Joel and Ellie argument about loss, Ellie nearly drowning, man, this game made cry like a little child. 

2. Life is Strange - Chloe's death. Nothing else to say.

3. The Walking Dead - Lee's death. 

• Like 1

NieR and NieR: Automata, everything that happened to Kainé and Emil. Then I found the easter egg in Automata and it hit me hard. Ending E boss fight in Automata was also phenomenal.

Virtue's Last Reward, Luna's ending.

And the hardest hitting one ever for me: the Xenosaga trilogy on PS2. Spent 3 games falling in love with all the characters, both good and bad guys, only to have to watch tragedies befall almost all of them was too cruel.

• Like 1

Dark Souls III 

Spoiler

din din dun

NieR: Automata 

Spoiler

Whole game send me on emotional journey

Final Fantasy X

Spoiler

This game is my baby. It made me appreciate video game soundtracks & video game stories.

RDR2

Spoiler

Arthur's last horse ride back to camp

Edited by Mori
  • Like 1

1. Nier: Automata ... realizing the choice you will have to make as you are playing thru the end credits. And also Pascal...and Nietchze ?

2. Life is Strange ...  Chloe .... and then Chloe again

3. FFXV Episode Ignis ... the ending of the main game was heartbreaking. The entire Episode Ignis broke me.

And going to add one more set of games, all visual novels...The House in Fata Morgana, Clannad & Steins:Gate. They will tear your heart out, give it back...and then tear it out again. Repeat.

Edited by sunnydaleAlumni
forgot to say...
  • Like 1