Your Top 3 Emotional Moments in Gaming (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

1. The ending of Shadow of the colossus: The fact that the girl has no idea what happened or who the boy is, that she is taking care of him nonetheless, that they are trapped there for eternity etc.

2. Life is Strange: The end of season 3 when Chloe is in a wheelchair and the actual ending because of what happens to Chloe.

3. Steins Gate: All the choices Okabe made in order to save his friends.

• Like 2

I could have filled this list with Final Fantasy moments alone.. but to have some variety, I'll only choose one from Final Fantasy :)

1. Final Fantasy IX

The section in Pandemonium where Zidane pushes his friends away. The musical theme "You're not alone" that plays during that scene is probably the theme in any game that to this day gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. What a scene, and how well put together... For sure my number 1, has been since 17 years. 

2. NieR: Automata

The entire game is made to make you think, the music is absolutely incredible for a video game. If I had to choose one single scene, then it's the one with Pascal (you know which one..). Has to be. 

3. What Remains of Edith Finch

There are a couple of moments I could choose, but I have to go with Lewis and his story. Playing through the scene was almost painful, knowing what would happen pretty much from the very beginning. Still, the gameplay and storytelling merges so well during this scene that it created an incredible tension. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Personally, for me...

1) Winning ClanBase EuroCup 3 back in the day.

2) Killing Kil'Jaeden with my best friends in World of Warcraft.

3) My friend John "TotalBiscuit" Bain passing away.

No Playstation game has ever evoked any kind of emotion other than anger or frustration.

First two moments were gut punches and the third was a shock.

1. RDR2 

Spoiler

Pretty much all of Chapter 6. But the horse's death and Arthur's death got me right in the damn feels. Then the bit that added salt in the wounds was Dutch leaving Arthur to die after everything he did for him.

2. The Witcher III

Spoiler

When you find Ciri dead in The Isle of Mists.

I was a little annoyed with the run around the miners put you through and started thinking "Ciri better appreciate this." Then get back after that and find out she's dead, it was a real kick in the guts. I was really happy when she came back to life.

3. Bioshock Infinite

Spoiler

The end. Finding out Booker is Comstock floored me.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 3

Many.

NieR: Automata - That one Pascal sequence. If you've played all of it you'll know.

NieR - A lot of it, but the epilogue of Route B absolutely murdered me.

Final Fantasy XIV - Ending of Shadowbringers is a recent one, but also the bit in Heavensward just before you go to Azys Lla

Persona 4: Golden - Late game in general, Snowflakes still makes me feel. I can't say I've ever had a game make me not want to finish the game because I'll miss the characters as much as P4.

Muramasa: Rebirth - True ending of Gonbe's story in his DLC, A Cause to Daikon For. God DAMN I was thinking about that for days after.

The Last of Us - Multiple moments, but what happens just before you reach the dam is probably the strongest for me.

Silent Hill 3 -

Spoiler

Harry's death

To the Moon - The climax, all the way from when the song plays to the end. Laura Shigihara ❤️.

Bonus: The ending of Dino Crisis 2 hit me hard when I was young too

If I had to narrow it down to 3, probably To the MoonNieR and Muramasa Rebirth: A Cause to Daikon For. Those three in particular stuck with me.

I know the topic says three, but it's nearly impossible to pick so little:

Mass Effect 2:

Spoiler

The whole lead up to the suicide mission, including the jump through the omega-4 relay. Absolutely jaw dropping to see hundreds of destroyed ships of those who came before and failed.

Mass Effect 3:

Spoiler

Pretty much the entire game for a big fan of the series, but the hardest hitting moment is the extended ending with your love interest. Seeing Garrus put up the plaque of my name all sad and stuff made the rivers flow.

Final Fantasy X:

Spoiler

The ending was extremely sad, especially since I was a big fan of Yuna + Tidus. 

Final Fantasy X-2:

Spoiler

Yuna's mid-game rally and "1000 words" duet with Lenne was surprisingly emotional. Everyone putting aside differences and coming together against evil is truly awesome. The 100% ending did end up with me in tears as well. Would love an FF X-3 so much to continue the story, it could go so many places.

The Last of Us:

Spoiler

The opening scene hits you real hard, real fast. I didn't play TLoU until 2018, but watched a let's play right when it came out. It was a "oh shit, this game is for real" moment for sure.

Stein's Gate:

Spoiler

This game also hits really hard a few chapters in, and very unexpectedly. I watched the anime before playing, but technically the game came first so I'm including it. Mayuri's death was a very big "oh shit..." moment.

Undertale:

Spoiler

Sadly between the memes and really weird fanbase of this game, not a lot of people take Undertale seriously. But wow, does the pacifist ending hit pretty hard when "His Theme" plays. I couldn't keep it together, and still can't on subsequent playthroughs.

That's all off the top of my head, I'm sure there were many more. More recently Detroit: Become Human made the feels flow, but I think it was thanks to the amazing soundtrack complimenting the story. Obviously Aerith's death would be high on the list but I didn't finish FF7 until well beyond it being spoiled.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I completely forgot about the Witcher 3 part you mentioned. I love that game so much.

Sounds like it's time for a new playthrough then lol. Same, it's a masterpiece and my absolute favourite game.

Lots, but I'll limit myself to three. As a bonus, though, I'll pick three games which (pretty sure, at least - apologies if I missed one) haven't been mentioned yet. Spoilers, obvs.

1 - RiME

Spoiler

Kinda surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet. The whole story really, but at the very end, when you find out it was the son who actually died at sea, and the hug with the mother's ghost... holy shit, instant tears. Probably made all the more intense for anybody who's a parent.

2 - Final Fantasy VI

Spoiler

When Kefka actually succeeds at destroying the world. Just a total shock - I spent several minutes thinking "Wtf? This doesn't happen in video games!"

3 - Pyre

Spoiler

I grew attached to all of the characters in this game, maybe more so than any other game, so freeing them knowing they would exit the party permanently was emotional every time. But I grew most attached to Rukey - I felt he got the rawest deal, and knew he deserved his freedom, but he was also my best and favorite character to use in the rites. I could squeeze him through the smallest of windows and always counted on him to pull it out at the end of a difficult rite (especially with all 12 Titan Stars activated - yeesh). But I had to free him. I literally saluted my TV when he earned his freedom.

Bonus moment, when Pamitha pleads with The Reader (you) to let her sister win.

• Like 2

Oh boy, this is a tough one. This last gaming year has been drenched with emotions for me. My top 3 would probably be :

Persona 4 Golden -spoilers-

Spoiler

Nanako's "death" felt like a heavy punch in the gut. Thankfully, she came back to life, but I can't say the same about that part of me that died with her.

Also, that whole winter section. Snowflakes was that beautiful song that was a constant reminder of the ever-approaching finale. Turns out I had fallen heavily in love with the characters and wanted to prolong the inevitable ending of the game as much as I could. I finally lost it during the final day. One of the rare games that actually made me cry.

Nier Automata : 10/10 Story, 10/10 characters, 11/10 soundtrack, 10/10 sidequests, this game has all the necessary ingredients to make an emotion-rich journey. A masterpiece that I would recommend to everyone. Oh, and you're not ready for Route C.

Kingdom Hearts III : I do concur that the game has its number of flaws. Nevertheless, it was the one Kingdom Hearts game that got me the most emotionally invested in the series. The entirety of the endgame section was gorgeous, but it was the ending that really got me. Seeing the Xehanort arc meet its conclusion was definitely something.

Honorable mentions :

Danganronpa 2 : Goodbye Despair : I love the Danganronpa series. I love everything about. My favorite game has to be the second one, for one big reason : Chiaki Nanami, and for one bigger reason : chapter 5. The introduction to that chapter was brilliant, the murder and the investigation were brilliant, and the whole buildup was brilliant. Then, there was the class trial... I love watching reaction videos to it simply to get goosebumps all over again.

Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward : One of the endings of the game. Anyone who's played it knows exactly which one I'm talking about. My sides still hurt thinking of it.

Edited by gerboize

1 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:

Spoiler

The epilogue with Solid Snake defeating Liquid Ocelot and later meeting Big Boss, only to have him die in front of him as Snake himself struggles due to accelerated aging. Not only is that the end for Big Boss but also for Solid Snake's arc; after having grown up playing previous titles and watching Solid Snake degenerate before my eyes into a weak, aching, but still brave and heroic man, it's hard to hold back tears. I have my reservations regarding some of the stuff Kojima does, but there's no denying: he's a genius.

2 - Mass Effect 3

Spoiler

Yes, Mass Effect 3. Ending controversy aside, it was heartbreaking to come to the end of a saga for commander Shepard. I cared so much for every character in the original trilogy, and to see that was over was a very big emotional hit for me. I miss the old BioWare.

3 - Chrono Cross

Spoiler

My personal favorite game of all time. Serge frees Schala from Lavos' grasp, restores the dimensions to a single one. The storyline comes full circle carried on by the most beautiful piece of video game music I've ever heard. It's the closest I've ever come to cry over a game. I know it's a pretty hated game by a portion of the fanbase, but to this day no game has ever come close to giving me the same kind of emotion Chrono Cross gave.

Spoiler

Red Dead Redemption 2-The entirety of chapter 6 up until Arthur’s last moments. It sucks so much more finding out that Arthur would eventually die from being infected with TB. Seeing him suffer was pretty hard and the final scenes of him riding and on the mountain were beautiful.  

Spoiler

The Walking Dead-Lee’s death, the scene played out so perfectly and I was in tears the entire time. 

Spoiler

GTA IV-Romans death-Took me by complete surprise and was just as mad as Niko. I really liked Roman and it bummed me out that he got killed. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

There are alot of moments in gaming where I was emotional; being an emotional person already, it doesn't help at all. So I will just put the 3 few on my long list. 

Final Fantasy IX - My first ever PlayStation game, couldn't wait to get home from school just to continue losing myself in this beautiful world and colorful cast of characters. I could go on and on how much this game has emotionally impacted me but I will keep it short. I always felt FFIX was an artwork of finding out who you are, now knowing who you are; would you accept it and move forward? and accepting that you are truly never alone.

Xenosaga 1-3 - I came to get attached to this game's world, story, and characters so much that it was really painful to see it come to an end. The music was also so very beautiful and heavenly and loved seeing how the characters were growing up so much as each game went on. The ending made me and my sister cry so much that day that my mom was so worried about us hehe.

Nier Automata - I know this one will probably be mentioned alot but those who have experienced it, know why. The game was really an emotional roller coaster for me but that credits scene while everyone is chanting "Weight of the World" and making you feel like your not on your own with everyone who sacrificed their saved data while reading the supportive messages ... I just couldn't handle it, looking back I probably looked so silly crying my heart, wiping my tears while holding my controller and trying my best to finish this but I guess this is what makes it an emotional moment in gaming.

For me is literaly Stupid ahah 

1. End of mirror's edge for 2 reason, is the end ? and the theme still Alive is so beautiful 

2. Final Fantasy VII For Nanaki father and of course Aerith ( the first write Aeris is dead ) 

3. Magicka 2 for DUNKA DUNKA 

Honorable mention for Devil may cry V : The last chapter before and after the boss fight, Nero and Vergil  ?

Edited by EdgeHosenka

Hmm. This is a tough one. It's usually the beginning or end of a game where I'm hit hardest. The beginning of games is generally where I'm overcome by a massive pull towards an adventure. The end of games usually leave me feeling empty because finishing an adventure is as satisfying to me as it is depressing because it's over.

1. Sort of a tie. The prologue and part of the ending to Kingdom Hearts. It doesn't matter how old I am I feel the same thing every damn time I play. It's just pure excitement.

The entirety of the prologue from the opening song to the end of it, but at the end of the game it's when Riku says to Sora "Take care of her."

2. The ending to Ocarina of Time. I was maybe 10 or 11 when I beat it but I remember a mix of emotions at the end. 

Felt so bad for Link because it felt like he got fucked over hard, and ever since then I've always wondered how crushing it would be to be sent back in time with all of my memories and no one else that remembers. Seeing the people celebrate at the end made me feel like it was worth it, and then coming face to face with Zelda again..ffs.

:facepalm:

3. The ending of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It's somewhat of a stark reminder that you just get too old for some things, and as time goes on priorities change. The memories are always going to be there and with them that longing for an adventure. As for the game it really sucked knowing Nate's story was over.

Honorable mentions in no particular order and under one spoiler.

The opening theme to Wild Arms. Don't know if this counts so I didn't add it, but jfc it just draws me in.

The ending of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Edward seeing the past characters damn near brought a tear to my eye.

The endings to Spec Ops: The Line and Dragon's Dogma. Both of these did something that doesn't usually happen and surprise the hell out of me.

5.- Unchared 2: Among thieves. Thinking that Elena got dead/Jeff getting killed by Lazarevic (i thought he was gonna last more than 5 minutes).

4.- Uncharted 3: Drake's deception. The djinn ilusion making Drake think that Sully got killed.

3.- Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The ending. Finally, peace achieved.

2.- Metal Gear: RIsing Revengeance. The moment Wolf delivers Sam's blade to Raiden and gets more punishment from senator Armstrong. I have 2 dogs as mascots and i would rip the spine off the person that harms them (while they stay alive). I trully loved the moment when you make the final sequence and rip Armstrong's heart off his chest and crush him like a soft peach.

1.- God of War: Ghost of Sparta. Thanatos killing Deimos/ Kratos having to kill his own mother because of Zeus curse. I got enraged with Kratos and enjoyed every moment of ripping the god of death himself in two. Truly Olympus complete deserved to die the way it did in GOW 3.

Final Fantasy X

Spoiler

The moment when you find out what happens to the summoner that defeats Sin. It is so devious how summoners' good intentions are misused. That made an impression on me.

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Spoiler

The game is a cRPG, very text heavy. One of the recuitable characters is a little girl who comes from another world. Threatened to be anslaved, you can rescue her and make her part of your party. Until later in the game her stats are terrible, you have to protect her. It makes fights harder. Later in the game, if you treat her right, she grows close to you (the MC). But: at some point, just around when she is actually really helpful in battle, you can send her back to her own world (it's your choice). At farewell, she tells you you might see each other again someday. Touching in itself, but when you are close to the final battle, she comes to your aid as a grown woman, through time and dimensions to help you. 

44L8349be.png

Mass Effect 3:

Spoiler

When Mordin, my favorite character of the whole Mass Effect Trilogy, sacrifices himself to right the wrongs he did in the past. Usually, when it comes to people taking one for the team, I am admiring their valor, but here, it was sad to see him go.

Red Dead 2 when I realised it was too dull and boring for me and that I'd just wasted £50 on it.

So anyway emotional.. erm fear is an emotion yeah? If so definitely Resi Evil 1 on the PS1 where the dogs come through the window! I was like 13, had never played a horror game and well yeah it nearly gave me a heart attack!

Aeris in FF7 was pretty sad too.

Walking Dead Season 1 - Lee in the last episode.

Edited by RedDevil757
Forgot walking dead

Great topic ^0^ Kudos to the OP.

1. 100% trophies (DLC) in Ninja Gaiden 3 moment. Absolutely number one on my list. Had tears in my eyes. Months of everyday training and perfecting missions finally paid off. My poor fingers.. Also Ultimate Ninja playthrough. So many hours invested, so many deaths and fails.. I was so exhausted, but that relief and satisfaction in the end were all worth it.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Last fight with Liquid, final boss. First playthrough. I wanted to win so badly. Epic fight, music and strong emotions.

"Like come on, Snake! You can beat this guy! Stand up! Again!" Felt like I was the one fighting :-) I consider this title the best PS3 game, actually.

3. Platinum in Yakuza: Ishin - Japanese version. Very complex kanji felt repulsive at first, but as a Yakuza fan I had to endure it. Very few people managed to get Platinum on every Yakuza title and I was super jubilant back then.