My Adventures in playing this game without cheating (stream video compilation)

SelectiveGamer

Believe it or not I have played this game before. Several times in fact. On the PS2. However... all of those times... I cheated. With CodeBreaker codes. ?

So... I supposed you could say this is my first time playing it. Or... my first time playing it without cheating anyway. ?

I ended up spending some grinding time at the very minor beginning of the game grinding for Overdrive Modes. It's clearly working though. So it being a pain in the ass (which it was) really doesn't matter anymore. I have Slice & Dice for Tidus and I'm not even to Luca yet (I actually get it in this stream video) ?

OP? I don't know honestly.

How well do I do? See for yourself I guess.

MUCH BETTER THAN EVEN I EXPECTED. To say the least. ?

• 2 weeks later...

So... I'm pretty sure I've overreacted again. I'm doing pretty well in this game even without cheating. My characters may potentially be over-leveled. I got Steal & Use for Kimahri even before Operation Mi'ihen started. ?

I guess now I just better start hoping that I don't need to customize weapons & armor anytime soon because I don't have the items for it. Apparently it makes the Mt. Gagazet Seymour battle and the Yunalesca battle easier? I don't even know if I'll have the items to make that easier. So I'm still pretty worried honestly. ?

We'll see what happens I guess. In this stream some more important plot stuff and TOTALLY no signs of the 'religion' in this game being evil or anything or a certain character being a main boss or anything ?

Also Thunder Plains. The worst area of the game. So I decided to not show a lot of it due to that. Well that... and I'm getting pretty close to a certain boss that unlocks the Jecht Spheres and I am NOT dealing with Dark Aeons in this game. Which means... once the boss is beaten... I'm going ALL the way back for all the ones I can get so I don't have to deal with them. So I didn't want to put everyone through that either.

• 4 weeks later...

Well... this ended up being anticlimactic. To say the least. I honestly did not expect Seymour Flux to go that well, let alone to beat him on my first try and keep my 'no Game Over' streak in tact. ?

After that some spoiler-ish stuff and then it gets boring because I'm in the Gagazet Cave and go mostly silent because I had nothing to talk about. I'm not good at this, but, oh well? I guess? ?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is over. I'm pretty much done streaming it. My Zanmato strategy FAILED HORRIBLY (ONLY BECAUSE OF DARK YOJIMBO ?) and I'm done with the game. Going to be starting X-2 next week. So look forward to streams of that (starting with one probably this week of the beginning of the game. I'll make sure nothing is blocked though obviously first.)

10 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

In regards to your original post, the first time I ever played FF games on the PS1, I too only did them because of code breakers. 

Doing it legit this time but for the life of me I don't have a frikkin clue what I am doing lol.

Here's what I learned from playing this game myself without cheating:

1. Get Flee for Tidus ASAP. It's a life-saver

2. Don't run from anything. Fight everything if possible. Only run if you think you are moments away from losing or a Game Over. Or you are fighting an enemy you don't like dealing with. Although, even then, still try to win. The more experience you get, the better obviously.

3. Make sure every party member gets a turn in every battle so they get experience from the battle (yes including bosses). You can just have them defend or something if you want. That's what I did.

One other thing. In the first video in the first post there's something interesting you can do with one of the bosses. It's the Sin Fin boss on the boat to Kilika. I explain it in the video too so it might be easier to just watch that. But here's the basics:

The Sinspawn are infinite. Kill them all and 3 more show up. The boss fight ends when you defeat the Fin. So use Cheer 4 or more times with Tidus and your strongest characters and make sure everyone gets a turn first. Then proceed to kill as many Sinspawn as you want. You can pretty much do this as long as you want. You'll only get hit from the Sinspawn and the damage they do isn't really anything to be too worried about. You can do this ad-infinitum until your satisfied. This is good method to farm some Power Spheres early on and to get as much extra Sphere Levels if you want. I didn't really do this though because the extra levels aren't really that great unless you can manage to overkill them consistently (I wasn't able to). I was told doing this is kind of a waste of time but I still did it a little. It's really up to you in the end.

Anyway that's all I've discovered and I'm clearly no expert. lol.