how is this game

So thoughts and impressions of the game. When I 1st saw gameplay of this it looks like the co-op mode was going to be a blast with the fast pace gunplay.  It had an arcade type look to it.  Does the game hold up to this or is it a let down?

Edited by steel6burgh

I'm playing co-op with my boyfriend and it is super awesome. It's super fun to watch those girls dialogs on cutscenes and help each other xD

But I have another friend, he's playing alone and he said the game is super hard even on easy. And he's a good player!

But, if you have patience and a friend to play, youngblood is a good game.

Easy plat too!

• Like 1

It's great but I do love Wolfenstein games so I may be a little bias.

At first the collectables looked like the biggest annoyance when looking at the trophies but I've just hit Level 30 and got the perk that shows collectables on the minimap will make it super easy.

I also played a bit singleplayer and the AI (your sister) is still a great help but obviously a human player is always better.

Edited by reiner-
  • Like 1

Doesn't hold up against the previous few games in my honest opinion. 

- Story is alright and the dialogue between the sisters is okay at times, but not having BJ as the playable protagonist for the game is a little upsetting. 

- Not a fan of the new enemy armor system in place and I feel you're forced into loud open gunfights a lot more than the other games where stealth was a genuine option. 

- Not sure if it's just me but the gunplay seems a little clunkier than the other games as well - and I recently revisited Wolfenstien II 

- Game difficulty is fine and seems to line up in a similar way to the others but unfortunately without the cool difficulty names as the franchise is known for. 

- Playing singleplayer is fine but the AI for your sister can be frustrating and often gets in your way. I Imagine playing Co-Op could be more fun if that is your sort of thing... 

Other than that I'm enjoying the game and continue to love the franchise! Will be playing Cyberpilot also when I'm done haha

• Like 3

Great game so far.

As the person above, I'll post some points:

Imo:

- The sisters together are great. The comments are funny (most of the time). The elevator moments... *laughs* ^_^

- Buffing each other is a great way to work together.

- The story is.. meh. Missing some strong antagonists. Mind you, I'm at 33% ish. Play this if you like the gameplay and have someone to co-op it with.

- Tons of stuff to do and collect. You go in and out of areas for side missions and random events while being there.

- Level up system. Get stronger each level you gain. Everything you do awards exp and sometimes coins (which are used to upgrade your weapons).

- The Wolfenstein universe.

In the end, it's a good game for the price tag.

This game is mostly just a giant grind fest.  They made it more like an RPG and increased the amount of time it takes to complete the activities of the game such as leveling up, mastering weapons and upgrading weapon parts way beyond what is reasonable to incentivize microtransaction boost purchases and keep the game's online active.  It is sorta similar to Far Cry New Dawn in that aspect except New Dawn is far more respectful of the player's time than this game is.  The amount of content in this game does not justify what they are asking of the player in terms of time for the trophies. 

The gameplay is typical Wolfenstein though so it is still enjoyable to play.  There isn't much story and the protagonists have some irritating dialogue, in my opinion.  Not sure if its the delivery of the voice actresses or the script itself.. not really fond of any moment where they speak.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elegy said:

This game is mostly just a giant grind fest.  They made it more like an RPG and increased the amount of time it takes to complete the activities of the game such as leveling up, mastering weapons and upgrading weapon parts way beyond what is reasonable to incentivize microtransaction boost purchases and keep the game's online active.

This will easily be 100+ hour platinum. 

To get all weapons at Mastery 10 is going to take a phenomenal amount of time.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:28 PM, reiner- said:

This will easily be 100+ hour platinum. 

To get all weapons at Mastery 10 is going to take a phenomenal amount of time.

Closer to 60 if someone doesn't find a faster method for money. But if you don't want to sit and do it all in one go you can just keep picking up the supply crates because they respawn somewhere around 24 hours after you pick them up. 

23 minutes ago, reiner- said:

Is anyone else having issues with the sound dropping in and out?

It seems to happen when there is a lot of action on screen. Or this could mean my PS4 is about die.

I'm fairly certain it's a glitch related to the flashlight attachment on the guns, that's the only time I've had it happen as far as I'm aware, but it happens almost every time I use the flashlight. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gage said:

I'm fairly certain it's a glitch related to the flashlight attachment on the guns, that's the only time I've had it happen as far as I'm aware, but it happens almost every time I use the flashlight. 

That makes sense because most of the time it happens in the sewers.

1 hour ago, Mr_Pound_of_Life said:

Fastest way for money is to play the tutorial mission on challenging difficulty again and agian. You easy get all weapons to 10 this way. Sad my story trophy is glitched. 

Don't you need kills to get your weapons to Mastery 10, not money?

1 hour ago, reiner- said:

Don't you need kills to get your weapons to Mastery 10, not money?

Yes you can farm money and kill 100 enemy's every run. The 400 kills weapons take 1 hour and the 600 kills 1 and a half.

With the heavy weapons you need 3 or less hours because of the ammunition. 

You can always kill yourself in the tutorial and kill the opponents again and again. 

I would first farm the kills, after that you can still run stealth  through brother 3 on challenging for 800 silver. 

It's a 50 hours platinum not 100.

I only need 3 weapons to 10 and 50 God hand kills. 

Edited by Mr_Pound_of_Life
  • Like 1

There is actually a method to farm money and skillpoints, which is much faster but it requires coop.

If your coop partner has a savegame, without 100% side quest completion he could prepare several side missions so he just has to bring them back to the savehouse. At this point he creates a savegame. From this point he invites you to his session and both of you get the xp, skill points and cash for the mission even if you have already completed that mission. You can leave then and he reloads his save and you repeat this over and over again. If you have multiple side missions prepared you can get like 2000-3000 cash and like 4 skill points in 3 minutes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, reiner- said:

Is anyone else having issues with the sound dropping in and out?

It seems to happen when there is a lot of action on screen. Or this could mean my PS4 is about die.

I've had sound drop in and out twice now. I never activated a flashlight or anything, it just kinda kicked in without any real reason.

Back to OP:

• The new shield system is my biggest critique. There's only two different types of shields, so it feels like a mechanic that was just tacked on to artificially increase difficulty and make you switch weapons (which isn't super fast in the middle of a firefight, unless you happened to have the right "type" accessible by hitting triangle). It feels cheap but it doesn't absolutely ruin the game.
  • I liked the lighter tone of this game. I found the sisters to be like the female versions of Beavis and Butthead. Story is meh, and ended abruptly to me without too much explanation towards the end.
  • STORY SPOILERS
Spoiler

You meet up with BJ and he starts talking about a weapon he's trying to shut down that was activated upon Hitler's death. He goes on about it for a minute or two and explains that's what he's trying to stop, but then we never actually see or hear about this "weapon" that can supposedly bring about the end of the world?

He also talks about different dimensions in this cutscene, and he saw one where his daughters were living a happy, peaceful life, presumably without Nazis. There's no fleshing out on this concept and it comes out of left field; it just felt like an awkward addition.

You just go up, kill the bad guy, and then reunite the family in the final cutscene. Pretty much a happy ending, and none of BJ's ranting is ever really explained.

• The RPG elements don't get in the way too much if you're concerned about that. I only had to play a few side missions in order to be powerful enough to complete the story missions. XP is plentiful if you often engage the enemies in combat. You're rewarded tons of XP from every encounter, especially if you go out of your way to complete the little optional objectives nearby in the open world as they pop up. It's as simple as "walk up to this spot and press square", and you'll get about 4000 XP each time.
  • Play with a friend / someone online. The game works so much better when playing through it with a friend. I can't attest to how good / bad the AI is, but there's no way it can replace a real player in terms of skill. Plus, it's more enjoyable to pulverize Nazis with friends ;)
  • Hope you like to go guns blazing, because almost all encounters are set up in a way that makes it nearly impossible to stealth. Aside from inconvenient enemy placements, not all enemies can be defeated with stealth takedowns or throwing weapons, so good luck trying to play stealthily. Even crouch sneaking up behind enemies seemed to draw their attention and cause them to spin around and attack, which makes no sense to me. If you want to do any stealth takedowns, it seems the CLOAKING ability is mandatory. I'd say save your skill points and just invest in Crush instead, as Cloaking costs a lot to upgrade.
  • Gameplay is top notch in terms of gunplay though. Going loud never bothered me because it's much more fun than stealth was anyways. All the weapons look and feel great. It retains that fantastic gunplay from previous entries. Sure, you can't dual wield assault rifles in this title (I don't know why), but I never felt bothered by that in my 10+ hour playthrough. Dual wielding still exists, but only for the Pistol and Machine Pistol.

Overall, it's a great game for the pricetag. I didn't go into the game with $60 expectations, and I feel like I've mostly gotten my money's worth. I still have some side missions and exploration to do, so I'm not done with the game yet. I'd give the game an 8/10 (which seems to be a lot higher than most are giving it). It's definitely not a bad game and I think the critics are being way too hard on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_Pound_of_Life said:

Yes you can farm money and kill 100 enemy's every run. The 400 kills weapons take 1 hour and the 600 kills 1 and a half.

With the heavy weapons you need 3 or less hours because of the ammunition. 

You can always kill yourself in the tutorial and kill the opponents again and again. 

I would first farm the kills, after that you can still run stealth  through brother 3 on challenging for 800 silver. 

It's a 50 hours platinum not 100.

I only need 3 weapons to 10 and 50 God hand kills. 

So run the tutorial over and over. I will definitely be trying that out.

The way I was going, backtracking through levels after a mission for kills was not a great solution.

I play the game with a friend in co-op and we both think it’s kind of repetitive. The sisters are fun and I like the RPG stuff, but the missions are boring and the map is too small and offers little variety.

But that’s just my opinion, it probably isn’t my type of game. I wanted to try it because the trailers looked like fun.

• Like 1

The maps are quite boring after a while.

They seem to be ripped straight from Dishonored.

While the game being at such a low price I wouldn't mind paying for DLC which features different locations. 

Edited by reiner-
  • Like 1