So yeah Ultra-Nightmare mode

puckelberry

No sure how many others have played this mode but I think they went a bit OTT on the bullet sponges I genuinely ran out of all ammo bar my grav darts and 10 pistol rounds on the final boss. For those looking to play this mode NG+ is almost a must with everything fully upgraded before hand

• Like 2

Bullet sponge enemies are so frustrating. 

The best way to up the difficulty in an FPS is for the player to take more damage, not to make enemies take multiple clips and the player also take more damage.

Ultra Nightmare on NG+ may be a little easier.

• Like 1

This is just a lazy way of implementing a harder difficulty.  I'm fine with a difficulty like this if both you and the enemies will die in a few hits.  But when you can take 3-4 hits and some enemies take a couple of clips it's just not balanced.  I'm about half way through the game on Ultra Nightmare and I'm definitely not looking forward to the last level.

8 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

This is just a lazy way of implementing a harder difficulty.  I'm fine with a difficulty like this if both you and the enemies will die in a few hits.  But when you can take 3-4 hits and some enemies take a couple of clips it's just not balanced.  I'm about half way through the game on Ultra Nightmare and I'm definitely not looking forward to the last level.

Yeah, I know how you all feel. I'm two missions in and spent a bunch of time getting every project to 5 so I can just concentrate on missions and get this nightmare (pun intended lol).  It's so poorly thought out.

I've also noticed that Athority towers fire a lot faster.  Lower difficulties I could get half a clip off before having to dodge, now I'm lucky to get 10 bullets into it.  Had to resort to the rail gun with a quick 1 - 2 shots and dodging far enough away to cheese it out of range.

Edited by Snake2410

Yeah I did one sentry purely for the project points it was not worth it. Plus those authority jetpacky sword weilding douchebags i emptied my rocket launher on one before he had the the good sense to die. This mode has not been thought through at all, it totally changes the way the game should be played from frantic shooter hell to cautious pick them off one at a time, except none of your weapons or skills are designed for that plus the enemy AI isn't geared that way

• Like 1

This mode is just ridiculous.
I just did the first 3 missions and leveled all allies to level 5 and i am sure i could beat this with a little bit of patience but i stopped playing for now. Not going to waste 20 hours of trial and error for 2 stupid bronce trophies at the moment.

Enemies sometimes eat more then 2 clips while you die in 2-3 shots or 1 nice pump hit. Close combat is almost impossible if there are more then 3 enemies which makes most of your abilities useless.

I played this mode for about 5-6 hours now... the only way to succed is staying on distance and taking out one by one. This isn't fun anymore.

There are some broken mechanics i used but this won't save me from the last boss encounter.

-You can stun lock enemies with your rapid fire shotgun so they never shoot back.

-Bring your Phoenix to camps or outposts to clear most of it with 20mm rounds which are super powerful against infantary or spawn your predator tank (don't know the exact name).

-Always stay on distance and shoot in small bursts to save ammo and be more accurate (most enemies are shotgunners or rocketlauncher guys, so they won't be any threat).

-Enemie projectiles are never hitscan so you can just move in circles for not eating a bullet (sometimes they still get lucky and you get punished by losing half of your health bar).

Edited by xIRockyRock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, xIRockyRock said:

Not going to waste 20 hours of trial and error for 2 stupid bronze trophies at the moment.

Completely relate to this.  I got the plat last night after spending 6 hours going through every single damn map location to find three drones.  I was done by the time that was finished but thought I would give NG+ Ultra Nightmare a shot.  Within maybe 30 mins I decided I wouldn't bother with these trophies, no 100% for me, and I'm ok with that.  I'd rather plough those 10-20 hours or whatever into something else in my backlog.

I welcome NG+ and harder difficulties when your upgrades truly mean something, like HZD or Spider-Man, both of which my fully upgraded character breezed through aside from the odd challenging boss or area.  This game's difficulty just feels like it had no thought put into it at all when you're fully upgraded and just unloading clip after clip into things.

• Like 1

This update hasn't been updated to Xbox yet, for whatever reason, so it says I still have the 100%... but I know it will eventually update

I'm a completionist (233/241 XB1 games at 100%), but even I have my limits and I'll probably leave RAGE 2 NG+ alone unless I have absolutely nothing to play after Death Stranding and DOOM Eternal around Xmas time.

RAGE 2 is the biggest disappointment of the year for me, by far, to the point where I regret playing it. I had virtually no fun whatsoever except for some of the side activities. 

It's not the only perpetrator of this, but there was absolutely no need to introduce NG+ to such a linear game, and if they felt compelled to, why not do it on launch? NG+ updates are my pet peeve.  If you really wanted NG+, just add it in on release. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Is there much of a difference between Nightmare and Ultra Nightmare or are they essentially the same?

I haven't played on Nightmare, but am about half way into Ultra Nightmare and from what I hear regular Nightmare isn't too bad in comparison.  Ultra on the other hand is 2 - 3 hits and you're dead, with some things being able to 1 shot you.  Enemies in Ultra are insane bullet sponges too.  That's from my experiences with it.  

Some people have mentioned that there is some sort of health gate on Ultra that will prevent you from being one shot, but I experienced being one shot from the first authority sentry I came across.  It put me immediately into defib.

Ultra is stupidly cheap though, I don't think nightmare is anywhere near that bad.

• Like 2

I haven't had any problems with Ultra Nightmare so far really. Died now and then but got it done the next attempt.

That being said... I'm on the last mission now and well... It's being a pain in the ass. ?

Gotten right near the end twice now to just all of a sudden die. I was praying for a checkpoint but nope! Have to start from the beginning again! ?

I'm sure I'll get it done soon but yeah... Really annoying that there aren't any checkpoints during it...

Edit: Did it on the next attempt haha.

Edited by SolidNinjaSnake

1 hour ago, Snake2410 said:

I haven't played on Nightmare, but am about half way into Ultra Nightmare and from what I hear regular Nightmare isn't too bad in comparison.  Ultra on the other hand is 2 - 3 hits and you're dead, with some things being able to 1 shot you.  Enemies in Ultra are insane bullet sponges too.  That's from my experiences with it.  

Some people have mentioned that there is some sort of health gate on Ultra that will prevent you from being one shot, but I experienced being one shot from the first authority sentry I came across.  It put me immediately into defib.

Ultra is stupidly cheap though, I don't think nightmare is anywhere near that bad.

This sounds a lot like the first game, because that wasn't too bad on Nightmare but Ultra Nightmare was cheap central and controller smashingly unfair in some parts.

57 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This sounds a lot like the first game, because that wasn't too bad on Nightmare but Ultra Nightmare was cheap central and controller smashingly unfair in some parts.

I think Ultra Nightmare in Rage one was slightly easier, but it's hard to say because it was quite a long time ago that I did that playthrough.  Ultra Nightmare in Rage 2 is doable though, but just not very fun.

• Like 1

I only have 2 missions left before the final mission, which I hope to at least try tonight.  So far it hasn't been too bad but you just don't feel like the bad ass that you're supposed to be when playing on Ultra Nightmare.  You have all kinds of powers and weapons, but you have to play cautiously, which just doesn't lend itself to RAGE 2's gameplay.  I think the final mission will be the make or break for many people.  Has anyone tried using the BFG during the final fight?

3 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

So I assume that Ironman Mode is just one life? You die you start over or what? It's shouldn't be that bad with save backup.

It's really easy to do.  You can pick what difficulty you want to do it on.  Doing it on easy makes it trivial.  Plus you can back up your save to cloud or usb if you wish to save yourself any possible screw up.

5 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

So I assume that Ironman Mode is just one life? You die you start over or what? It's shouldn't be that bad with save backup.

Exactly.  1 life but you are allowed to you the defibrillator after unlocking it.  Also, you can close out of the game so you don't have to do everything in one sitting.

2 hours ago, Snake2410 said:

It's really easy to do.  You can pick what difficulty you want to do it on.  Doing it on easy makes it trivial.  Plus you can back up your save to cloud or usb if you wish to save yourself any possible screw up.

This is exactly what I did.  I would make a backup every couple of missions just in case.  Since I was playing on Easy I never actually needed one.  Ultra Nightmare was fun though...  ?