Level 7 "Dead Simple" impossible in nightmare mode?

jakD_710

Been on this level in nightmare mode for just over half an hour and i cannot get the stairs in the middle to raise since the enemies keep respawning and they also completely ruin me every time i respawn. Has anyone been able to do this level in nightmare mode yet? 

Yes. With the help of my brother we were able to complete up to map 29 but we had to get help from both my oldest brother n best friend. It was the most brutal playthrough of DOOM 2 I've ever experienced. For people who dont have friends or family, I hope they add online support as I believe it is impossible if you're by yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AtaraxicDream said:

Yes. With the help of my brother we were able to complete up to map 29 but we had to get help from both my oldest brother n best friend. It was the most brutal playthrough of DOOM 2 I've ever experienced. For people who dont have friends or family, I hope they add online support as I believe it is impossible if you're by yourself.

Good job on being the first with the DOOM 2 platinum.

That sort of worries me. Can you at least get the DOOM 1 platinum with just two controllers on your own?

I Managed to platinum doom 1 solo. actually nightmare mode on the first one wasn't as bad as i thought it was. but this game idk if its gonna be possible solo. up to downtown on nightmare and i wanna bang my head against my desk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakD_710 said:

I Managed to platinum doom 1 solo. actually nightmare mode on the first one wasn't as bad as i thought it was. but this game idk if its gonna be possible solo. up to downtown on nightmare and i wanna bang my head against my desk

Let me know how the rest of the game goes.

I got to level 17 and couldn't go any further. gonna try again tomorrow. Wish that this was online co-op because doing this solo is next to impossible (at least for me) gonna watch some speedruns and stuff before i give it another go.

38 minutes ago, jakD_710 said:

I got to level 17 and couldn't go any further. gonna try again tomorrow. Wish that this was online co-op because doing this solo is next to impossible (at least for me) gonna watch some speedruns and stuff before i give it another go.

The problem with Share Play is you need a pretty strong internet connection that's stable on both ends (you and the person helping). Regular online would of been better.

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The problem with Share Play is you need a pretty strong internet connection that's stable on both ends (you and the person helping). Regular online would of been better.

Exactly. I feel like they definitely missed out when they released these with just local and not proper online. Just sucks they made the nightmare trophy require co-op. Even doing it singleplayer would of been a whole bunch better since you can save when you want unlike when your playing cooperative. 

Yeah i've done every Doom 2 level in coop solo with the second controller idle on Nightmare up to map 29 "The Living End" and i'm thinking map 29 is not possible to do solo. I've been trying for the last two days and every time after about a hour of play the map will freeze. I have manage one time to hit every switch to beat the level so i can run to the end but it's insane. All you get is a chain gun with low ammo and %100 health, no armor, and on top of that you will lose about %20-30 heath just going into the pits in the first part of the level. On top of that with hundreds of Cacodemon fireballs, chaingunners and shotgun guys shooting at you. And you kill any of them they come right back once you respawn.  I've played the Classic Dooms for years and this is the most insane thing that is required for completion in an Official Iwad i have seen. There is a very very small chance of making it if the right enemies are in fighting if you manage to kill the right enemies fast enough from the last spawn and somehow have a lot a lot of luck of not losing too much health, and doing it in under an hour it may be possible solo. But honestly I'm not sure if it's worth it i might just have to leave this at %91. If you did have 2 or more good teammates though this would be a lot easier, because one can do the killing while one runs, or another is a bullet fireball sponge. But sadly i'm not in that position no one i know even has played doom let alone on Nightmare. I really think the requirements should be lowered to be able to do solo, that way you can a least save. Or lower it to Ultra Violence, these levels were not design to be played in coop on Nightmare. A least if armor or health could be respawn it would make it doable but nope once you use it it's gone. I would not recommend getting this if you think this will be an easy Platinum like Doom 1 if you are doing this solo. 

As for the OP saying about Dead Simple, it wasn't too bad i did it in about 20 minutes the trick here is that you have to remember which enemies you have killed and don't bother killing them again if they respawn. It's was hard at times to distinguish who is who. But after awhile you will manage at one point killing them all. Because remember on UV the level steps open when all enemies are killed so it's the same deal on Nightmare. All the respawn enemies are fakes basically.  

6 hours ago, jakD_710 said:

Sorry for double post this one was hard for me too. The elevator part to get the last key card was very hard for me at first but across the map is an invisibility power up. Try to time the elevator as it's going down then rush to the other side of the map pick it up, then once you get back to the elevator ride it quick and kill the imps like a mad man. Then try to do the keycard jump very quick as the power up will be running out at this point but if timed right it will last up to you getting the keycard. Then you are free to die then run to the exit door. Hope this can help anyone else that gets stuck on these maps! But i have not yet found a way to beat map 29 solo as that map has no power ups at all. And the Plasma Gun is very hard to get and not worth because you will lose all your health getting it anyways.

Edited by KTILLA23
  • Like 2

Thank you! It is the first time I've ever been first on anything. My brother n I found that what causes the game to crash is all the weapon and ammo spawns filling up from dead enemies. We were at the last phase when all you gotta do is get past the red barons to the teleporter n climb the tower. We were stuck at that part for about 2-3 hours when I said screw it. We need help. Called my best friend n oldest bro n had to quickly teach them how to play then they helped killed cacos while me n my bro ran the lava to the teleporter that takes you to the staircase room. Best runs having 80-90 ammo n 85% health. Then we'd hit a switch or two then die retry. Over n over even with 4 of us blasting once we got to the final room with the two revenants n soldiers we'd try to run each direction hit a switch die go back. Everytime we'd have to kill the Baron n revenant n imps on the staircase. It was tough as nails. Got lucky dodging the 2 red barons at the end n my bro got through ran like the wind to the exit n got us out. I agree that it needs online coop as well. It was fun playing couch coop again though. Reminded me of the good ol days.

• Like 3

That's cool thanks for the insight! It sounds like it's very doable with 2 or more people as i said because one other person can act like a sponge. I did make it to the top of the staircase one time and died right at the top by the chaingunners. And yes i believe it's all the weapons and ammo spwans too. The game gets weird after while and starts going invisible after awhile too. I can manage picking up the spawns in the first part but there is a part after the first teleporter when you enter it if you turn around there are chaingunners and shotgun zombies there too. Those are very hard to mange because it waste a lot of time and heath going to pick up those spwans. I've been trying to a least do half the level in one segment so i can have more time to do the "3 switch room". But as i said the stair room and "3 switch room" is very very hard solo There is no health hardly, armor, no power ups in these last two rooms. And some time when you spawn in the "3 switch room" you will die right away in a blink of an eye. Anyways congrats on being first to finish doom 2! I finish everything first but i couldn't do this last coop trophy you beat me to it :). But for right now i think i will have to settle for %91, i will keep trying for awhile but i will probably give up for now unless it's patched to be able to do in true solo. 

4 hours ago, BOOTP said:

Really liking the difficulty of these new Doom trophy lists - the Classic Collection on PS3 was lackluster in this regard.

Yep, that makes things interesting. 

However the collection on the PS3 has the Plutonia Experiment.

34 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yep, that makes things interesting. 

However the collection on the PS3 has the Plutonia Experiment.

Yes, plus it had TNT: Evilution which together make up the original Final Doom release. Super tough those are, so would like it if they got the same treatment.

1 minute ago, KTILLA23 said:

Finally got the plat guys! Thanks to Elite Agent for his video. It took me about another 5 hours i would of never gotten it from pistol start. Now where Final Doom or 64?? :)

Im convinced that pistol/solo is actually impossible, i will be amazed if someone gets it that way.

I seen in 2002 Drew DeVore did it on pc from pistol start in just 1:57!! Idk if this would be possible on ps4 though i tried to mimic him but i can control it as well as on PC. Still i think for console wise this is not possible from pistol start. 

On pc enemies attack faster and move faster in Nightmare so you would had to adjust that to the console version were they attack frequently but not faster, strafing is also used a lot in speedrunning but with a controller is a complete bitch.I just hope i could help with this level because its definitely the hardest one there is.

Also congrats on the plat aswell !

Yes for sure you help! I probably won't have gotten it this quick, thanks again for the video and congrats to you as well. I could of been the first to finish both doom games if it wasn't for "The Living End" but it's all good! :) I hope if Final Doom and 64 come out they don't have coop trophy again. A least if you could do it with save states i would be alright with that.