Level 7 "Dead Simple" impossible in nightmare mode?

jakD_710

just a question @KTILLA23 i did level 15 the normal way on an easier difficulty and resumed nightmare and got the city trophy without issue. you think this will mess up the nightmare trophy in any way? i have no idea how this game saves information...

after some thought, i dont think it matters. if it overwrites your internal co-op save by changing difficulty mid-ways, i wouldnt have unlocked the city trophy. i know some games do this but doom 2 is old and theres no indication of the game saving in co-op whatsoever but it does save though. its part of the profile save it creates im guessing the first time you boot the game up.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

Yes the Nightmare trophy should still unlocked as you said. Sorry i didn't see it sooner a least you figured it out. Yes i think the progress is saved on the profile too. As long as you beat the levels anyway on Nightmare in coop it will unlock.

• Like 1

Here's my successful Map29 nightmare run as well. The biggest thing that helped was knowing when to use either the BFG or plasma rifle as the BFG can eat up ammo in situations that might only need a few plasma shots to get by.

Back to the original topic of this thread however, I do think Dead Simple's stair trigger may sometimes be glitched as in Ultraviolence co-op they failed to lower after every enemy was killed. Luckily its a short level so a quick retry worked.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’m going to try this game out. 

Doom 2 is one of my all time favorite games of any genre. I’m quite familiar with all the levels. The speedrun will definitely be more tight and more difficult than in the first game. The Nightmare co-op I can hopefully do. 

Nightmare in Doom 1, while frustrating and annoying, wasn’t as bad as I expected.

Dead Simple should be straight forward on Nightmare but there is a possible bug where the last Arachnotrons die simultaneously which causes the surrounding steps to rise incorrectly. It happened to me and I just restarted the level and the steps rised correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, Spaz said:

Well I’m going to try this game out. 

Doom 2 is one of my all time favorite games of any genre. I’m quite familiar with all the levels. The speedrun will definitely be more tight and more difficult than in the first game. The Nightmare co-op I can hopefully do. 

Nightmare in Doom 1, while frustrating and annoying, wasn’t as bad as I expected.

How is it going? Did you do any levels on Nightmare yet?

15 hours ago, KTILLA23 said:

How is it going? Did you do any levels on Nightmare yet?

No, just haven’t had time because I’ve been busy with work. 

The difficulty ramps up starting with the City levels, then again in Hell. 

Definitely a lot harder than the first game. Chaingunners, Mancubus and Pain Elementals can easily kill you if you’re not careful. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

No, just haven’t had time because I’ve been busy with work. 

The difficulty ramps up starting with the City levels, then again in Hell. 

Definitely a lot harder than the first game. Chaingunners, Mancubus and Pain Elementals can easily kill you if you’re not careful. 

Yes for sure when the City levels start the game gets very hard, doable but time consuming as well. I hope you manage to finish it! Map 29 will be a true nightmare and take lots of time and luck!   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, Spaz said:

Good job on being the first with the DOOM 2 platinum.

That sort of worries me. Can you at least get the DOOM 1 platinum with just two controllers on your own?

I managed to get the Platinum for Ultimate Doom. Though, I needed help with some friends for House of Pain as that was the only level I couldn't beat by myself. Also, you only have to beat all the levels in the main 3 episodes. You don't have to do Episode 4.

8 hours ago, CrestlineIceberg said:

I managed to get the Platinum for Ultimate Doom. Though, I needed help with some friends for House of Pain as that was the only level I couldn't beat by myself. Also, you only have to beat all the levels in the main 3 episodes. You don't have to do Episode 4.

I got the platinum as well.

House of Pain was pretty tough, because of a number of areas where the floor damages you for standing too long plus the sheer mobs of enemies.

I'm still trying to get the platinum in DOOM 2, and I can easily tell you Nightmare co-op is MUCH HARDER than it was in the first game.

On 12/30/2019 at 0:05 PM, Spaz said:

I got the platinum as well.

House of Pain was pretty tough, because of a number of areas where the floor damages you for standing too long plus the sheer mobs of enemies.

I'm still trying to get the platinum in DOOM 2, and I can easily tell you Nightmare co-op is MUCH HARDER than it was in the first game.

That is true. I just hope to get most of the hard levels done first and get them out the way and then go through the easier ones last.

Edited by CrestlineIceberg

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, uhdead said:

Hi All, 

I posted a walk through on the dreaded level 29 route.  Includes level 27-29 and I put a commentary on it hoping to help others.

Thank You. This will be a big help. Still stuck on Level 25, but definitely easier than Level 27 - Level 29.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:38 PM, Spaz said:

Thank You. This will be a big help. Still stuck on Level 25, but definitely easier than Level 27 - Level 29.

Cool deal, yeah it seems level 7, 9, 11, 12, 17, 22 (catacombs the absolute worst), 23, 25, 29 are the bad ones.

Then funnel it down more and 17, 22, 29 are just nuts.

30 minutes ago, uhdead said:

Cool deal, yeah it seems level 7, 9, 11, 12, 17, 22 (catacombs the absolute worst), 23, 25, 29 are the bad ones.

Then funnel it down more and 17, 22, 29 are just nuts.

I wish you could just do 29 on it's own. Everyone has said it's extremely difficult and it's much easier to do level 27 - 29.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, Spaz said:

I wish you could just do 29 on it's own. Everyone has said it's extremely difficult and it's much easier to do level 27 - 29.

There is a pistol start per level on the decino channel for nightmare.  His route is even crazier than the stuff we've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who want to skip some time when trying to tackle map 29. You can get everything you need in map 28 in order to be ready for map 29. It will save you plenty of time and the frustration with the possibly multiple failed attempts. I know it helped me out, cause I did not want to go through both maps and end up dying fast on map 29 haha. Just check this video out from Whiteshirtgames and it will help in getting everything you need in map 28 for map 29. Also if you need anymore detailed tips on how to make this easier, just let me know. If you need help getting this trophy, send me on over a message.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ive read through every comment on this post and can see that most of it is related to level 29, but I found this post via google because I was searching for help after getting totally stuck on Level 07- Dead Simple on Nightmare Co-op.

I'm now clear through Dead Simple, and on the off chance that others find this post looking for some tips of Level 7 instead of hearing how difficult level 29 is, I thought I would spell out how I got through it:

Step 1 - research the speed runners on Youtube. I'm no great fan of speedrunning, its not for me, I'm just not that sort of gamer, but I can't deny those guys and gals have some serious gaming skills. I've got a lot of respect for them, but i won't ever call it love. Because the monsters in Nightmare re-spawn, I needed to find the quickest way home, and I found what i needed by watching speedrunniers

Step 2 - there is a natural tendency to pick up the ammo pack on your left before the walls come down and the bunfight starts. Dont. Just don't. All the speedrunners is had 600 rounds of ammo for the plasma gun at the time when all the mancubi are dead whereas I was usually dead many times over by that time and had lost the use of the ammo pack. Just leave the pack for that moment and learn to turn right after every re-spawn

Step 3 - So, after turning right instead of left when the walls come down and definitely not picking up the pack, run around and flick the switches for the platforms of your choice to lower. For me, i chose to run anti-clockwise and lowered the platforms for the plasma gun, rocket launcher and 200% sphere.

Step 4 - make the re-spawn work for you. You can't influence the timing of the monster re-spawn, but you can control the timing of your own re-spawn with suicide runs. this gives you a small element of control to leverage. I found that after lowering the platform with the plasma gun, it took 10-12 suicide runs at the plasma gun to trigger infighting among the mancubi and clear the area with my own shooting

After all that, it was just a matter of picking up the plasma gun, 200% sphere and ammo pack in one run and sorting all those spiders out. Gee it only took me three hours of trying to get there

Edited by mecurymo
typo