Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

7 minutes ago, BRKs_Eagle said:

Hey there! Decided to finally visit your thread, LOL. :)

Gotta say, I'm impressed at the amount of fighting game plats you have, especially the ones most known to be difficult, such as Injustice and SSFIV. I have the former in my backlog, from when they gave it away for free a while back. I'm both looking forward to it (because it's gonna be a new and challenging experience) and dreading it (because it's a genre I absolutely suck in).

Pity you already have an unobtainable game with PES, but I wish you luck with the rest of your backlog anyway. I see you have some more difficult games in there, such as P4A and Mirror's Edge.

Hey there, thanks for stopping by :D Yeah, I recently got really serious into fighting games (recently = 2-3 years ago) and somehow...They caught my attention more than I would've expected! Granted, not all of them are fun (Injustice ironically kinda sucked) but yeah, I am enjoying them.

Sadly I do have 2 unobtainables : PES2015 and Titan Quest. Titan Quest have 2 DLC trophies that are bugged and it doesn't seem like they will be patched any time soon unfortunately. But it doesn't bother me too much, else I would be obsessed with 100% completion. Mirror's Edge worries me to no end. I am the worst when it comes to platformers, and that game paired with Braid and Slain Back from Hell will give me unmeasurable amount of headache. Hopefully I will get them done...one day xD 

Waiting for your AC Revelations input when you finish it :D I didnt like that entry too much, but it's a good game nonetheless! Have fun with the DLC though ... ?

19 hours ago, Copanele said:

Hey there, thanks for stopping by :D Yeah, I recently got really serious into fighting games (recently = 2-3 years ago) and somehow...They caught my attention more than I would've expected! Granted, not all of them are fun (Injustice ironically kinda sucked) but yeah, I am enjoying them.

That’s good to hear. Even Art of Fighting Anthology and King of Fighters: The Orochi Saga? 

Perhaps it’s the exceptional challenge. Modern AAA games have mostly tossed that out, save for stuff like Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II. 

If you are making guides for both, I can’t wait to read them. 

Mirror's Edge worries me to no end. I am the worst when it comes to platformers, and that game paired with Braid and Slain Back from Hell will give me unmeasurable amount of headache. Hopefully I will get them done...one day 

Parry and counter attack in Slain: Back From Hell. For those no damage trophies, I hope you’re ready for a lot of cloud saving. Mother Beholder is the most difficult boss in the game to not take a hit, took me three straight hours before I finally beat her. 

Waiting for your AC Revelations input when you finish it :D I didnt like that entry too much, but it's a good game nonetheless! Have fun with the DLC though ... 1f612.png

I found you can glitch Warren Vidic. You don’t have to go through that crap with the lasers and that pit with the black colored pizza pies. Glitch works on both the PS3 and PS4 versions. 

For passing the River Styx without failing, you have to go through every area where you can put a block. Far easier than Warren Vidic.

The Desmond sequences and the Lost Archive DLC, not sure what Ubisoft was thinking there. I really enjoyed being Altair and learning his history and involvement of the Assassins. The actual gameplay was too much like Brotherhood. The Hook Blade and Bombs both felt like an idea Ubisoft had, then scrapped them both in later AC installments.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

That’s good to hear. Even Art of Fighting Anthology and King of Fighters: The Orochi Saga? 

Perhaps it’s the exceptional challenge. Modern AAA games have mostly tossed that out, save for stuff like Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II. 

If you are making guides for both, I can’t wait to read them. 

I have the perfect explanation for that! So , if you might know, I have some lists for UR Cleanup 2021. My Tier 2 list is made of : Art of FIghting, Blazblue CPEX and CF, P4A and P4AU. 

Of all those games, I enjoyed Art of Fighting THE MOST! Simply because it has those sweet sweet details that I absolutely LOVE in a fighting game, you know? Fun translations, little quirks, hidden mechanics...yes the other ones are modern and cool and solid mechanics, BUT THEY DON'T HAVE GEESE HOWARD! Yeah the game whomped my ass but so what? I enjoyed finding strategies to cheese the geese.

If you want to see my grading of fighting games, I think I have 4 tiers of everything I have completed on my profile :D 

God Tier - would gladly replay them any day of the week and recommend them to everyone

• King of Fighters XIII
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Skullgirls 2nd Encore
  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2

Fun Tier - you won't regret playing these, decent amount of fun

• Art of Fighting Anthology
  • King of FIghters Orochi Saga
  • Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection
  • Tekken 7
  • All Under Night In-Birth games
  • Blazblue (all of them)
  • Injustice 2
  • MK X
  • Darkstalkers Resurrection
  • Persona 4 Arena/Ultimax
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary collection

Average Tier - Right in the middle, nothing out of the ordinary but kinda forgettable

• MK9 (the only unforgettable thing for me was My kung fu is stronger)
  • Street Fighter V
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
  • Samurai Shodown(2019)
  • MK 11

Trash Tier - I wouldn't recommend these to anyone

• Injustice 1
  • Samurai Shodown VI
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Stars Battle

So yeah...I like my old fighting games xD Hope I haven't missed any of those.

One guide for AoF is sent for review, the other (Orochi Saga) - never managed to finish yet (tough days at work). But it shall be done, no worries!

33 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Parry and counter attack in Slain: Back From Hell. For those no damage trophies, I hope you’re ready for a lot of cloud saving. Mother Beholder is the most difficult boss in the game to not take a hit, took me three straight hours before I finally beat her. 

I have no problems with parries, I can nail them 90% of the time. Platforming is what kills me as usual lol. But I really aim to finish this game. Definitely having more chances than Mirror's Edge, where I have to do some crazy speed trials. Dark times ahead...

34 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I found you can glitch Warren Vidic. You don’t have to go through that crap with the lasers and that pit with the black colored pizza pies. Glitch works on both the PS3 and PS4 versions. 

For passing the River Styx without failing, you have to go through every area where you can put a block. Far easier than Warren Vidic.

The Desmond sequences and the Lost Archive DLC, not sure what Ubisoft was thinking there. I really enjoyed being Altair and learning his history and involvement of the Assassins. The actual gameplay was too much like Brotherhood. The Hook Blade and Bombs both felt like an idea Ubisoft had, then scrapped them both in later AC installments.

I didn't manage to make that glitch work, maybe I was doing something wrong, so I had to do it the old painful way. River Styx area was way WAY easier, took me like 3 tries. Pretty natural also, given how Warren Vidic trophy murdered my soul.

Ubisoft likes to experiment (rather, throw poop at a screen and see what sticks). Bombs were largely useless, I still used smoke bombs like crazy, however I enjoyed the Hookblade, launching myself with it and using it in combat. But yeah, of course they dropped it.

At least WE GOT TEH ROPE DART IN AC3 AMIRITE FELLAS? Who the hell even used that xD 

Also should write a review on Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend but I am waiting for some inspiration. Having a bit of a "writer's block" or whatever is called :D 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Copanele said:

If you want to see my grading of fighting games, I think I have 4 tiers of everything I have completed on my profile :D 

God Tier - would gladly replay them any day of the week and recommend them to everyone

• Ultra Street Fighter IV

Not so sure about this one. Lots of online multiplayer (even if boosting), there's a trophy for getting every character from the base game to a certain rank. Then there's of course, the fighting trials. If you thought your monstrous status update on those trials was bad, I'd be having some serious fits and make a bitching thread specifically for those trials. My PS4 controller would be taking a lot of dings and beatings.

Even something like fighting Evil Ryu on the hardest difficulty would stop me for a while.

21 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I have no problems with parries, I can nail them 90% of the time. Platforming is what kills me as usual lol. But I really aim to finish this game. Definitely having more chances than Mirror's Edge, where I have to do some crazy speed trials. Dark times ahead...

After Super Meat Boy, Mega Man 10 and Crash Bandicoot I feel I'm more than capable of doing Mirror's Edge speed trials. My only issue is it's an old game, it came out when the trophy system was still pretty new which was in 2008. I love a number of old games as much as the next guy, I just don't know how it performs.

For Slain: Back From Hell it's not just the platforming, you also have to time your hits well. But being you're a crazed Devil May Cry fan that shouldn't be any problem for you.

24 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I didn't manage to make that glitch work, maybe I was doing something wrong, so I had to do it the old painful way. River Styx area was way WAY easier, took me like 3 tries. Pretty natural also, given how Warren Vidic trophy murdered my soul.

Ubisoft likes to experiment (rather, throw poop at a screen and see what sticks). Bombs were largely useless, I still used smoke bombs like crazy, however I enjoyed the Hookblade, launching myself with it and using it in combat. But yeah, of course they dropped it.

At least WE GOT TEH ROPE DART IN AC3 AMIRITE FELLAS? Who the hell even used that xD 

Also should write a review on Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend but I am waiting for some inspiration. Having a bit of a "writer's block" or whatever is called :D 

It takes a long while to actually work, you have to have the blocks elevate you to the ceiling then gradually move up on the control stick. You will very slowly faze into the glitched area where you can easily set up blocks to get you all the way to the end. You won't be able to finish the level, so I did this after I beat level 4 normally.

Smoke Decoy was completely worthless. I had Shrapnel, Smoke Screen and Cherry Bombs. Hook Blade was interesting for those platforming bits where you hit the circle button so Ezio won't go across with those lamps, or whatever those were.

Rope Dart was also in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, but I guess they weren't very popular so Ubisoft scrapped them later on. I hated the story missions in Black Flag where you were required to use them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

Not so sure about this one. Lots of online multiplayer (even if boosting), there's a trophy for getting every character from the base game to a certain rank. Then there's of course, the fighting trials. If you thought your monstrous status update on those trials was bad, I'd be having some serious fits and make a bitching thread specifically for those trials. My PS4 controller would be taking a lot of dings and beatings.

Even something like fighting Evil Ryu on the hardest difficulty would stop me for a while.

EVEN WITH THE SHITTY ONLINE GRIND damn this game gives you the best vibes once you manage to pull a sick combo off. For instance when I did that dreaded trial 23 with Sakura it's like I unlocked Ultra Instinct Kaioken x5, it was THAT much of a satisfaction.

And let's be honest, what other game from my profile generated 200+ replies ? I know very well why SF4 is in GOD tier and hell I ain't moving it from there.

Also slapping your controller messes up the buttons and will make the trials even harder. It's a cycle of destruction hahah, take care of the equipment :D 

And I STILL THINK the trials in USF4 are easier than what you have to pull in KoF 13. But since I couldn't record on my PS3 and I needed 200 out of 360, it wasn't that much of a madness status. But they are harder, that much is certain.

4 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Rope Dart was also in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, but I guess they weren't very popular so Ubisoft scrapped them later on. I hated the story missions in Black Flag where you were required to use them.

I completely forgot that one was in AC4 as well. That says alot about that mechanic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Copanele said:

EVEN WITH THE SHITTY ONLINE GRIND damn this game gives you the best vibes once you manage to pull a sick combo off. For instance when I did that dreaded trial 23 with Sakura it's like I unlocked Ultra Instinct Kaioken x5, it was THAT much of a satisfaction.

And let's be honest, what other game from my profile generated 200+ replies 1f602.png I know very well why SF4 is in GOD tier and hell I ain't moving it from there.

Also slapping your controller messes up the buttons and will make the trials even harder. It's a cycle of destruction hahah, take care of the equipment :D 

And I STILL THINK the trials in USF4 are easier than what you have to pull in KoF 13. But since I couldn't record on my PS3 and I needed 200 out of 360, it wasn't that much of a madness status. But they are harder, that much is certain.

If I could do Super Street Fighter IV to 100 percent I would officially call myself a gaming god. Not many people can do hard fighting games like Street Fighter and hard platformers like Super Meat Boy, it's generally one or the other. There are some crazy people on this website who have done both. Mad respect to them, I tip my hat because they are definitely talented.

Edited by AJ_Radio

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Trophies aside though, SSF IV is awesome. My friends and I spent countless hours beating up on each other. The challenges are annoying but doable as long as you have persistence.

9 hours ago, Copanele said:

I completely forgot that one was in AC4 as well. That says alot about that mechanic.

I don't remember it in either haha.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

If I could do Super Street Fighter IV to 100 percent I would officially call myself a gaming god. Not many people can do hard fighting games like Street Fighter and hard platformers like Super Meat Boy, it's generally one or the other. There are some crazy people on this website who have done both. Mad respect to them, I tip my hat because they are definitely talented.

Hahah I think there's more tough games required for that title xD only sf4 and super meat boy won't do. Gotta boost those numbers with crazy games to get a glimpse of Heaven. 

Romantic, I know ?

52 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Trophies aside though, SSF IV is awesome. My friends and I spent countless hours beating up on each other. The challenges are annoying but doable as long as you have persistence.

I don't remember it in either haha.

Fuck yes that's right! I also went for that platinum because my god the game is HELLA fun. Also played alot online, messed around with Ryu and Cody. I sucked ass but it was stupid fun. That's how these blasted games catch you in their net lol. 

And wheee another "supporter" of the rope dart lmao xD . Honestly I only remember it from AC Chronicles China where it was an indispensable tool. Otherwise it was a waste of a slot in my weapon wheel. 

Ok, inspiration is here:

:platinum: No. 131 : Blazblue Chronophantasma Extend

hxunSCmjWeIYsBLvMNeQ86C8yNA1DWR5.png

Platinum Name : Fully Extended 1S13424a.png

Hardest Trophy : Bread and Butter - complete50% of the trials 4S56b104.png

Difficulty : 6/10 - the trials were quite tricky, not going to lie

Personal impression : 7.8/10

This was the first BlazBlue game I ever played. It's a franchise made by ArcSystem Works and it's technically the "brother" franchise of Guilty Gear, which is my favorite fighting game series of all time. I am not really sure why I haven't picked this up earlier, given how much I love GG, but well, better late than never :D 

Anyway...the game was fine. That's my general impression. It's what you would expect of Arcsys : Large roster, unique characters, crazy combat and GODLIKE SOUNDTRACK! Holy shit the soundtrack in this game is 10/10, 20/10, one billlion /10. If you like rock/metal, then you don't even need to purchase the game, just go search on youtube for the soundtrack. It's THAT good. 

How can Japanese devs and composers nail it so well within a game is beyond me.

As I mentioned, characters are unique. You have the textbook main protagonist Ragna the Bloodedge, a gruff spiky red trenchcoated big sword guy with a heart of gold, his counterpart Jin, the calculated madman with a katana, gunslinger Noel, cat girl Kokonoe, pervert Kagura, big boobed squirrel girl Makoto...yeah, this game ain't that subtle when it comes to its characters. Especially Makoto, holy damn they did SOME design with her. Not going to lie, she is my favorite design wise because..well...can you blame me?

d2vwmak-196ac974-b3fd-4f64-aa45-1afc7ef2

Ahem...where was I? Right, if you have read the previous paragraphs, I mentioned that the game is fine. Why is that? Well, that's because despite the 10/10 music and design, the actual gameplay....didn't give me the kicker that I wanted. Sure, it has some intricate mechanics and mad options and such, but something is missing from it, I can't really understand what, but ... each character has ONE thing that ruins the playstyle for me. My main in this game became Ragna only because he is the easiest to use. And if I pick a character only because of easiness, then there's an issue there. This game was simply not as mad as Guilty Gear for me, where you could go blitz speed, set the enemy on fire, combo kick punch slash then go Dragon Install and as9ucbweubwiebwec where you, your enemy, the stage and the PS4 explodes into a flame of madness and epicness. That's what I wanted from this game and sadly I couldn't find it. The issue is solved in Centralfiction, but that's for the next time (still working on that).

I won't cover the story since I haven't played Calamity Trigger or Continuum Shift (and I don't plan to). It's actually decent , I managed to understand it despite the world resets or whatever, but there's not enough coherency to make me search into it. I will admit, I only checked the characters that were fun or looked interesting. But it's not a bad story by any means.

Platinum wise, it wasn't that bad. The true challenges were Frame Advantage (do all 20 trials for one character) and Bread and Butter (do 50% of the available challenges). Doing Frame Advantage was super easy with Iron Tager, a very well designed grappler, however Bread and Butter gave me abit of trouble, especially since some characters are...holy damn how are you supposed to play with them? I think the one that gave me the most headaches was Litchi, a chinese kung fu girl with a stick, where you had 2 stances (with stick and bare handed) and you had to combine these stances. Yeah I am not doing a PhD in kung fu here.

Overall a decent game. Will finish Centralfiction however and I think I will be done with Blazblue. I will stick myself to listening that killer soundtrack. 

THE GOOD:

- amazing soundtrack

- good character design

- M A K O T O

THE BAD:

- couldn't keep my interest long enough

- story isn't 100% consistent

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 3

:platinum: No. 132 : Blazblue Centralfiction

blazblue-centralfiction-cover.jpg

Platinum Name : God's Dreams 1S2bf024.png

Hardest Trophy : Faster! - complete all speedstar courses 25Sa13efe.png

Difficulty : 3/10 

Personal impression : 8/10

Gotta be brief, because this game is basically like Chronophantasma Extend. You get more characters in this game, including the DLC characters, they are WAY more fun than the main cast (Susanoo wink wink). The platinum is WAY easier, but there's one stupid trophy Faster! where you have to beat 32 characters under a time limit. Mai will help here.

Trials are easier than CPEX because again, Susanoo.

This is the shortest review I ever did. Play this game, it has the most complete cast of all BB games. For other impressions, please read the previous post :D 

THE GOOD:

- more diverse and fun characters

- Nine has the best OST in the game

THE BAD: 

- same as above

- still did not convince me to play Blazblue over Guilty Gear

• Like 1

:platinum: No. 133 : Contraptions

113079wcrNMLV_S0TViWnf0t21qqN7lkdnQ_S43jW7870_ikB9QshevO_lzVkIs_fbrSRYIKDe3sY5mF257m63vdBFkNetAD.png

Platinum Name : Game Complete!1S1b1134.png

Hardest Trophy : 100 levels 12S7d6ce5.png - basically the platinum

Difficulty : 1/10, 2/10 if you try to do without a guide

Personal impression : 4.3/10

As you might have noticed, lately I've been playing the fighting games genre. As fun as those games might be, I felt the urge to take a break and relax with some cute little game. You know, use the brain for something else other than punching and kicking virtual polygons. I am proud to admit that Contraptions did not solve that urge at all.

I picked up this game at the latest indie sale, for a very cheap price. What caught my attention was the presentation picture (see above). When i was a kid I played a series called Incredible Machine : You had to solve puzzles using counterweights, bananas, fans, monkeys, mice and cheese, you know all the whacky Tom & Jerry ways you could solve a puzzle. Those games were incredibly fun and I absolutely loved it. When I saw Contraptions I thought it's the same kind of game. Sure the graphics kinda suck, but if the idea is there I wouldn't have minded. 

In this game your target is to get rid of the aliens. Either kill them with a counterweight, push them off the map, launch them into space or kill them with a spinning wheel. Normally you have to solve the puzzles in the same way, with cogs and little bombs and conveyor belts. However it is kinda clear that the developer got bored after the 1/3 of the game and just piled up 100 levels for shits and giggles. The first 30 levels were pretty fun, not going to lie, but the last 70 you could solve by either glitch collision (put an object over the Alien and he will be launched automatically off screen)or micro-moving items in hope that you do some game breaking technique. What annoyed me was that some puzzles were very obscure, thought that I wasn't smart enough to solve them, only to check on YouTube and see that no, the puzzle is solved by bugging the game. Wow...how original.

Also this game CRASHES A LOT. Holy crap it crashes like Skyrim with all mods active. Most of the crashes happen when you solve the puzzles, forcing you to restart and try again (the puzzle doesn't save if it crashes at the success screen). Also it can crash while starting the application. Gotta admit the last time I saw a game crash like that was on a Windows XP and it was due to compatibility issues (and a faulty crack yarrr).

In conclusion : Don't bother with this game. Buy something else for those money. Yeah it costs the price of a mini burger meal from McDonalds, but I still want my money back. That meal was way more satisfying. For me, I will just return to monkey and attempt Persona 4 Arena or something. I tried :( 

THE GOOD:

- it was cheap

- has only gold trophies and a platinum, if you are into that

- not overly difficult

THE BAD:

- puzzles can be solved in stupid ways

- not many solutions available

- crashes like crazy

• Like 1

💯 No. 22 - The King of Fighters '97 Global Match

300px-THE_KING_OF_FIGHTERS_'97_GLOBAL_MATCH_cover.jpg

No Platinum

Hardest Trophy : Freedom is awesome - complete the game with Team Korea 7S4a9365.png Kim is easily top 5 best KoF characters, however Chang and Choi are absolute deadweights.

Difficulty : 2/10

Personal impression : 8.2/10

This is the updated stand-alone version of KoF '97, now upgraded with multiplayer. KoF 97 is the end of the Orochi Saga, where the fighters must put an end to the great evil Orochi. 

It's also the game where I completely decided that I absolutely love Kyo Kusanagi's playstyle just because of his rekka moves - two fire punches followed by a kick. Him, Ryo and Leona is my to-go team in these games.

Anyway, super enjoyable game, loved the gallery mode where I unlocked every artwork (not sure if it was part of the 100% completion or I just managed to nail them all), Shermie and Blue Mary are still amazing girls... what else to say? This game made me want more KoF :D 

Online sadly is pretty empty. Sad, wanted to fire up some punches. Resorted to boosting the multiplayer trophies with...myself X_X. I swear if the online in KoF XIV is also abandoned ...

💯 No. 23 : The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match

icon0.png

No Platinum

Hardest Trophy : Your Life in Pictures 9S5f647c.pngunlock gallery mode by beating all 64 opponents in survival mode

Difficulty : 1.5/10 - you can select MAX super meter and Orochi trivializes Survival mode.

Personal impression : 7.5/10

This KoF has no story, it was made for the sole purpose of gameplay. Mechanically it's one of the best KoF ever made, but since it has no story I have lost interest in it almost instantly. It has every single character present in the past KoF games.

Very fun game but gives me no reason to keep on playing it, if I don't have the story. 

CONCLUSION  : Don't feel like writing the good/bad thing. So, because of these games, I wish to complete the next stage of KoF : NESTS saga. That's KoF 99,2000, 2001, 2002, 2002UM and 2003 . Some of them will be Arcade Archives and maybe be 100%d in 5 minutes or so but regardless I wish to see the story, especially since it's the origin story of NESTS Kyo and K'.

Regardless, another franchise that caught my interest big time :D 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

THE KING OF FIGHTERS - NESTS SAGA!

I actually enjoyed the Orochi Saga (KoF 94-98) therefore I decided to go on with the chronological games. There's no focused collection here unfortunately(like the Orochi Saga), so I had to separately pick up the NeoGeo versions of 99, 2001 and 2002 while there was a standalone version of 2000.

Since all the games were a max 2/10 in 100% difficulty, here's my short impressions for each and every one of them. To mention, I played with the New Heroes team just to find out what's the main story. Heroes Team is K', Maxima and whoever wants to hang out depending on iteration.

1f4af.pngNo. 24 : Arcade Archives: The King Of Fighters '99

220px-The_King_of_Fighters_'99_arcade_fl

Kyo has been kidnapped and cloned by the NESTS cartel!!!! Here you have a new protagonist, K' , a moody man followed by his friend Maxima (a cyborg). He is an enjoyable protagonist but I don't think he's as good as Kyo. However all his moves are stupidly cool, his super attack is him throwing his glasses then teleporting for some sickass combo. 

Final boss Krizalid can be a cheap bastard, even at difficulty 1 he is annoying, beat him via time out.  Kyo's new design looks sick though. Clones - not a fan of them. There's a LOT of clones in this saga.

All in all, a rather decent entry.

1f4af.pngNo. 25 : The King of Fighters 2000

6vHpOOYU09SQ0DrgjMXm2vY9dfXtDuVX.png

Things get spicy in this one. The weakest part : it's the lamest final boss I've ever seen, a dude named Zero, who is a clone of a clone. Don't ask, it's stupid.

HOWEVER! This game brings 2 awesome playable characters for me : Vanessa and Kula Diamond. Vanessa is a boxer, she reminds me of Dudley from Street fighter. Her gameplay is incredibly fun and snappy with lots of dashes jabs and counters. Kula Diamond is the counterpart of K' , she handles ice (she is also designed to be an Anti-K' Weapon). Sadly...the rest of the cast didn't interest me that much. Overall this game was way better than KoF 1999.

Vanessa02_stance.gifkula-kof13-stance.gif

Vanessa and Kula Diamond

1f4af.pngNo. 26 : Arcade Archives: The King Of Fighters 2001

kof-2001-button-1651424281524.jpg

The end of the NESTS saga and the game with the cheapest boss in the entire series : Igniz. He is the hardest boss I ever had to deal with in KoF, easily defeating Rugal , since you can't cheese this fella, you have to deal with him legit. Whips, lasers for days, reading your inputs, you name it. Of course I didn't have to actually fight him for the 100%, but I wanted to, and boy did he whoop my ass. I honestly believe this boss was a love letter to Rugal, because otherwise how can you devise a cheaper boss? He looks awesome though.

Oh yeah and because of his cloak, you have no idea what's going on.

tumblr_p01ufm7wh61qb5qxmo1_540.gif

Igniz, the cheapest KoF boss

1f4af.pngNo. 27 : Arcade Archives: The King Of Fighters 2002

220px-The_King_of_Fighters_2002_arcade_f

KoF 2002 : Non canon, didn't care much, it's not 2002UM either, so I will save my impressions for that version.

End Thoughts : NESTS saga was an interesting follow up and I have to admire SNK's dedication of periodically changing protagonists (at least K' was a way better new protagonist compared to Alex from SF3). 

THE GOOD:

- SNK games just get better and better as time passes ... as long as they hold on to the sprite works

- K' is a worthy successor of Kyo Kusanagi

- even bigger roster

THE BAD:

- Striker mechanic feels unnecessary

- A NESTS Saga collection would be much preferred

- Igniz is a cheap boss

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

Some retro fighting games there most definitely. I reckon very few people would play these old games unless they were big fans of King of Fighters. I remember playing a couple of them way back in the day, but I never could get into them like I could with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Some retro fighting games there most definitely. I reckon very few people would play these old games unless they were big fans of King of Fighters. I remember playing a couple of them way back in the day, but I never could get into them like I could with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Yes, from what I have learned it all depends how the arcade cabinets were distributed across the world. For instance KoF is way more popular in Central and South America than the rest of the world. 

And well... Other than Terry Bogard, the dude with the red cap that even appeared in Smash Bros, there's not really a remarkable character to the caliber of Ryu or Scorpion/Sub Zero. The other 2 franchises are more memorable, that's a fact. 

Also side point, they added Ryu and Chun Li in Fortnite ? that's an Apocalypse sign lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: No. 134 : The King of Fighters XIV

220px-King_of_Fighters_XIV_cover_art.jpg

Platinum Name : THE KING OF FIGHTERS 1Sc9660b.png

Hardest Trophy : Unshakable Trust 35Sff5712.png - play party vs 100 times - even if it is boostable, the struggle of finding other 5 people willing to put through this ordeal is real.

Difficulty : 4/10 - not that difficult, but it requires patience. One of the easier KoF games out there

Personal impression : 7.6/10

Another day, another KoF title. I have waited for a discount on this game for a long time (EU rarely gets a discount on this game). So when I saw the complete edition cheapened out on NA store, I really had to grab it. Ever since I played that blasted KoF XIII I have slowly gotten more and more in love with SNK's games. Obviously, KoFXIV was under my radar. But how does it compare to the previous games?

SNK has been a company that struggled in the modern days and it kinda shows. After various bankruptcies issues and some pachinko slotting, they returned to the fighting game genre with a moderate budget, and it shows. Moving to 3D did not really help, since the characters look vastly inferior to KoFXIII's beautiful sprites. Sure, some characters look awesome in this game (such as K' and Leona), but some look like they have to deal with war flashbacks or some weird disease ( Andy Bogard in particular). The main man Kyo himself looks straight out of a boy band and regains almost nothing from his past self. At least they added a classic costume and improved his design in the upcoming KoF XV.

Ah yes, the new protagonist Shun'ei...I don't really like him. Each KoF arc had a different protagonist : Orochi Arc had Kyo, NESTS Arc had K', Tales of Ash arc had Ash Crimson and this Arc has...well a weird kid with tons of clothes and 2 hands above him. I like his teammate Meitenkun more, he's a sleepy boy with tons of powers. I can't say I liked Ash, but I'd prefer him over Shun'ei, at least Ash had personality. 

Music and character themes are also kiiinda forgettable for me at least. The new Esaka theme doesn't hit as well as the other do, and the others...I can't remember them also. The only one that I truly appreciate is the special Ryo vs Geese theme that plays when they fight, it's an awesome remix from Art of Fighting 2, which I am sure of it, hearing that blasted theme so many times (not to be confused with the Terry vs Geese theme which is from Fatal Fury, therefore different). So even if the themes themselves aren't that great, the attention to detail is there.

And lastly, the online. I have to admit, when it runs well...it's actually amazing. It can be incredibly fun. But most of the time the online runs like garbage. SNK is notorious for having the worst online in their games and this one is no exception. Still managed to get a large amount of Ranked wins, so that's something.

But enough negatives, let's focus on the meat of these KoF games : THE GAMEPLAY. Honestly, KoF games are difficult gameplay wise. Not only you have to deal with a team of 3 characters, which means learning 3 of them instead of only one, their positioning in the team is important (one is better at gaining meter while the others are better at spending it), the gameplay itself is incredibly complex. Again, one must look at the trials in KoF XIII to see the shit you can do  in these games, loops, combos, tricks and cancels. I have to say, I largely preferred Street Fighter's playstyle because it was simpler and more focused. Here if you don't know how to short hop you are dead in the online environment.

All of this changes with KoF XIV. It's the first KoF Game that actually convinced me to look more in-depth at the mechanics, because this game is SMOOTH. Holy crap the responsiveness and controls are perfect. The past games had some hiccups and some "I ain't doing this shit" moments, NOT THIS ONE! I'd say this is the most refined entry of them all, despite what hardcore veterans would think. Overly complex mechanics doesn't necessarily mean good gameplay lads, I don't want to open the Holy MaxMode Bible to even pull off a decent combo.

For those who don't care about intricate mechanics, the game even added an auto-combo mode. This is the best way to add an auto-combo, where by pressing square repeatedly you do a regular combo which ends into a super if you have the meter. THIS IS HOW YOU IMPLEMENT AUTO-COMBOS! I hated this mechanic in Dragon Ball FighterZ and BBTAG, but here it's actually smartly implemented. You get a minor taste of how you can do fun stuff, without setting you to braindead mode. Well done SNK, well done. This truly appeals to new players but also convinces them to learn extra mechanics.

And there's the obvious : SNK loves its franchise. There's a TON of little details that you will notice if you played the past iterations. Geese still respects his dumbass subordinate Billy Kane. NESTS still looms around. That fucking hilarious salute between Leona and Chang which was a "bug" in KoF 98 and was brought back here for shits and giggles. THE THEME AND FIGHT BETWEEN RYO SAKAZAKI AND GEESE HOWARD HOLY SHIT AOF2 WAS SO HARD! Yeah, in terms of fan service, this game rocks hard. Oh speaking of "rocks hard" ,fans of Rock Howard will get probably the best transition to 3D, since Rock is amazing in this game, including his jacket and t-shirt.

So yeah...despite a modest budget, KoF XIV is worth it. Maybe I started the impression on a negative note, but the same way I played the game, I wasn't too hyped at first, just to end up loving the game. Now I have even more expectations from KoF XV, that game promises to be legendary. We shall wait and see. 

HOPE THEY FIX THE ONLINE THO!

THE GOOD:

- the best gameplay you could get from a KoF game

- a roster of 58 characters to pick from

- the best implementation of the auto-combo system, without insulting the intelligence of an average player

- tons of little references

- an extensive gallery mode covering all the past games

- some characters look fantastic - K' , Rock Howard, Leona

THE BAD:

- some characters look butt ugly - Andy Bogard, Xanadu

- Robert Garcia has an Antonio Banderas look - just why?....

- Graphics are a big step back from KoF XIII

- Online is still garbage

- Where is Takuma Sakazaki/Mr Karate? 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 4

looks like your images are struggling a bit.  

Good write up as always.  You've really been hammering these fighting games lately. I've been eyeing the original Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear Revengence II on the sale for a wopping 2.19 combined and I've seen at least Guilty Gear on your account. Any insight on how good they are?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

looks like your images are struggling a bit.  

Good write up as always.  You've really been hammering these fighting games lately. I've been eyeing the original Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear Revengence II on the sale for a wopping 2.19 combined and I've seen at least Guilty Gear on your account. Any insight on how good they are?

Yeah I tried to edit them but I give up, just removed the images altogether. Sometimes this site gets on my nerves big time.

Many thanks! Sooooo I think you mean Guilty Gear Rev2 (comes from Revelator) :D Games are fantastic in my opinion (Guilty Gear is my favorite fighting game franchise). The original Guilty Gear can be abit clunky and with obtuse mechanics, but Rev2 is amazing. Game is a looker and has some tight mechanics also!

All you need though is a boosting partner... there's a trophy which involves medals and those medals are easiest to achieve online against another player.

For that price, I believe you won't be disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Copanele said:

:platinum: No. 135: Yakuza 0

apps.39148.14163943905070744.0448a0ad-df57-4343-bd68-4383f0e00abd.c900e907-f923-4304-9ab6-012943740bd6

Welcome to the start of a wonderful adventure! I'm about to start Yakuza 3, but so far 0 is still my favorite and that ending made me tear eyed. Looking forward to what you think of Kiwami 1.

1 hour ago, Copanele said:

b. MAHJONG AIN'T HARD!

It's really not and actually had a lot of fun learning how to play it. Now that dancing mini game is another story and where I got stuck...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grotz99 said:

Welcome to the start of a wonderful adventure! I'm about to start Yakuza 3, but so far 0 is still my favorite and that ending made me tear eyed. Looking forward to what you think of Kiwami 1.

It's really not and actually had a lot of fun learning how to play it. Now that dancing mini game is another story and where I got stuck...

Thanks, yeah glad I finally started it. I will let some time pass before I start Kiwami because ... I am abit tired xD Not of the game, just in general. Yakuza is an exhausting game.

If it helps for the dancing minigame, I ended up checking on youtube the rhythm of the buttons only, completely ignoring the song in the background (sick song btw). After that, it was pretty easy. I had way more issues in karaoke when I had to do Lively Interjections because Majima was singing out of tune and AYAYAYYAYAYAYY randomly and was messing up my rhythm big time. OH ROOUGE AV LAV

The old 1980s arcade games that you have to actually play plus the karaoke minigame, both western and eastern gambling games, baseball and that dating minigame already make Yakuza 0 fucking awesome in my opinion. 

SEGA really put care into Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, the latter of which I have from PS Plus and from the little I've played of it I can guarantee you will love it @Copanele. I personally know Yakuza 0 far better because I've watched countless livestreams of the game on both Twitch.tv and YouTube, whereas Kiwami 1 & 2 I know little about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The old 1980s arcade games that you have to actually play plus the karaoke minigame, both western and eastern gambling games, baseball and that dating minigame already make Yakuza 0 fucking awesome in my opinion. 

SEGA really put care into Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, the latter of which I have from PS Plus and from the little I've played of it I can guarantee you will love it @Copanele. I personally know Yakuza 0 far better because I've watched countless livestreams of the game on both Twitch.tv and YouTube, whereas Kiwami 1 & 2 I know little about.

Oh yeah this game was treated with tons of care and it shows! I bet I will enjoy Kiwami just as much as 0 once I get to it. I own both Kiwami 1 and 2 so I can start them whenever... Just need to recharge xD

And there is one minigame that I did not really enjoy... The catfight club. It is not nearly as difficult as people said it would be, despite relying on luck (rock-paper-scissors mechanic) there's actually a strategy behind it which allowed me to win those 10 matches super fast, almost in a row. But unlike the other minigames this one feels abit forced. 

But yeah except this one, the other minigames are fun. Thank god I don't have to actually win any of those and only get 5 mil points in each xD the old SEGA games were BRUTAL! 

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

Oh yeah this game was treated with tons of care and it shows! I bet I will enjoy Kiwami just as much as 0 once I get to it. I own both Kiwami 1 and 2 so I can start them whenever... Just need to recharge xD

And there is one minigame that I did not really enjoy... The catfight club. It is not nearly as difficult as people said it would be, despite relying on luck (rock-paper-scissors mechanic) there's actually a strategy behind it which allowed me to win those 10 matches super fast, almost in a row. But unlike the other minigames this one feels abit forced. 

But yeah except this one, the other minigames are fun. Thank god I don't have to actually win any of those and only get 5 mil points in each xD the old SEGA games were BRUTAL! 

The catfight club wasn't really that hard, sure it takes some luck, but there's usually a safe option to choose for defending their hardest hitting attacks and waiting for them to switch it up. It was kind of a silly mini game. Those old SEGA games were a pain, took me so many tries to get through Outrun. I'm about to start 3 and all I keep hearing is about the pool and batting cage minigames being brutal, we'll see if I try to complete them all.

I'm planning on doing a full 1-6 run through on Legend difficulty once I finish them all, and probably do some cleanup afterwards when I'm a master at all the minigames.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:00 PM, Grotz99 said:

The catfight club wasn't really that hard, sure it takes some luck, but there's usually a safe option to choose for defending their hardest hitting attacks and waiting for them to switch it up. It was kind of a silly mini game. Those old SEGA games were a pain, took me so many tries to get through Outrun. I'm about to start 3 and all I keep hearing is about the pool and batting cage minigames being brutal, we'll see if I try to complete them all.

I'm planning on doing a full 1-6 run through on Legend difficulty once I finish them all, and probably do some cleanup afterwards when I'm a master at all the minigames.

Let me know about Yakuza 3. I also heard that the minigames are horrendous. I am not worried about pool(won a few tournaments in Miniclip 8ball ? I can mess around there) but the batting cage...ugh. If its worse than Y0 then I am in trouble.

Outrun was a pain until I realized I shouldn't drive like I'd play Blur. Break and accelerate beats crashing into a wall and resetting the car.

Now for a little update:

💯 No. 28 - Garou Mark of the Wolves

Garou_MotW_NeoGeo_cover.jpg

Hardest Trophy: Yup...it's no bull...it's all about heart! 15Sce86c1.png

Difficulty: 4/10

Personal impression: 7.2/10

I picked this one up because well it was cheap, it's a SNK game and everybody praises it. Garou tells the story of Rock Howard, the son of Geese Howard, adopted by Terry after mr Geese takes a dive towards the pavement at the end of Fatal Fury. Rock struggles to find his destiny and meaning to life by duking it out with other characters from the franchise.

Honestly this is a neat little game. Sprites looks awesome as usual(SNK kills it with the artwork), Rock himself has more details than a 3D model, Terry's redesign is on point, him trading the red cap and sleeveless jacket for a more mature outfit and look. Combat is snappy and fun.

However...I should have played Fatal Fury first. I didn't feel the nostalgia air or the reason why fans love this game. For me it was a pretty good game but that's about it.

Survival mode is what made me remember that "oh, it's a SNK game", since you have to defeat the entire cast of 13 characters in one life, and recovering life/time the more damage you inflict. However you can also get poisoned(it's a matter of luck really) and from stage 9 onwards the AI triggers the infamous "SNK boss syndrome", reading your input and punishing like mad. Took me a couple of times to finally nail it.

But overall, I recommend this game. It's ultra cheap most of the time, so why not. Make sure you boost the online though, it's pretty dead and those 3 players that you always find online are godlike at playing as Rock or Terry (because nobody plays anything else).

THE GOOD:

- SNK classic quality

- Rock and Terry's Design

THE BAD:

- without playing Fatal Fury you won't get the hype

- Survival mode was a pain

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2