Copanele's collection of trophies and experiences

Copanele

STREET FIGHTER V CHARACTER RANKING!

40-31

And now, the moment I've been preparing for .

Disclaimer : I am in no way good at this game. I am doing this purely as a result of my experience and how much fun I had regarding the characters in this game.

Basically how a newbie sees the characters in-game.

I will basically rank all the current 40 characters in the game, will definitely update once season 5 appears. I take into consideration mainly how easy the character is to learn, how cool it looks/plays and basically...how fun it is to use the character, IN MY OWN OPINION!

I will split this into 4 posts so it's easier to track.

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's go!

NO. 40 : FANG

hqdefault.jpg

Despite me kinda enjoying most of the characters in the game, No. 40 and No. 39 are the only ones that I actually dislike, as in I avoid them like the plague.

In my opinion FANG is the worst character in the game and a poor addition. He is this tall chinese kung fu poison master that is more annoying than useful. His movesets are weird, he is a charge character, his damage is pathetic and he is NOT FUN TO USE. I find everything annoying at this character. Worst, he is the most uninspired goon that Bison has, and he is his RIGHT HAND MAN!HOW? He is LAME! He's more of a Street Fighter the Movie type of character. Some decisions are weird in Capcom's garden...

Reasons to pick FANG: If you are into '60s representation of Chinese martial artists, miss Gen from the previous entries or idk, if you just like extra gimmicky characters, FANG is the character for you. Else...any other character is better.

NO. 39 : ABIGAIL

001.png?h=98e99b1b20dc96cdf6c79c6187cdec7c

A Final Fight character, Abigail is Hugo's replacement as the tallest strongest character in the game. He is VERY slow and packs a real punch, I believe he is the only character that can combo around 80% of your health bar. He is a good pick for beginners and pros alike, both his V-Skills and V-Triggers are very good.

Why is this character on spot 39 however? BECAUSE HE IS SO GODDAMN UGLY! This is one of the UGLIEST characters in a videogame (i believe only Gero from SamSho is uglier). Not only that, he does VROOM VROOM like a child DESPITE HIM BEING A FUNCTIONAL adult. Would have ranked him way higher if he didn't make me nauseous every time I saw him.

Reasons to pick Abigail : If you value functionality and straight up ignore design, Abigail is the perfect choice for you. I won't be held responsible for the potential eye damage though!

NO. 38 : FALKE

flk.png?h=3d25098be9d1e94330f30286cd62473b

Falke is literally Rolento without personality. She is the slice of white bread in the game, she barely stands out both storywise and gameplaywise. Honestly when I did the ranking on my scrap of paper I had only 39 characters. I have forgotten Falke just because she is so damn unremarkable. Her attacks are Psycho power infused stick smacks and...that's it.

Reasons to pick Falke: I don't know...maybe you like her design?She has a nice haircut I believe. Also her BONK attack when she uses her super is amusing.

NO. 37 : MENAT

mnt.png?h=23b7bcfd5ff4da2ef7c08b3b6b8ef05aF41OJYik8GT70b3BsJ-UMpUHLrxT-YHZoYvXz3MywaI.jpg?auto=webp&s=0732ed3f2e78f4d3ab536d7e0d13c15885b8bbb4

(shoutouts to @Honor_Hand ,the true Felicia fan)

Menat is Rose's student (and replacement) in the game, also the direct opposite to Abigail in terms of looks. Her main gimmick is laying traps with her orb and attacking while dancing as sexy as possible. I have to admit, that is a very good strategy, I lost many times to Menat players because of her moveset and the fact that I couldn't focus at the game.

However, she is damn hard to use. You really need a 5000IQ in order to effectively use this mad Egyptian gal. Despite her being on No. 37, I do not believe she is bad, it's just I'd rather pick the characters above her. But my god those moves...

Reasons to pick Menat : Fanservice. Let's be honest, if I wanted an efficient character I would have picked goddamn Akuma. Also I can't get enough of her backwards walk...jesus Capcom you really get my tastes.

NO. 36 : NASH

340?cb=20160817114713

Nash is the former superior/mentor of Guile, means he's the one responsible for teaching the most annoying turtle in the world how to spam Sonic Booms. Now returned as a zombie soldier, he is way easier to use than Guile, he can fire sonic booms with one hand, do teleportations with his v trigger and many more. He's an interesting character, however he has many exploitable flaws, plus his walk speed is exactly zombie mode. He gets really boring after a while.

Reasons to pick Nash : If you liked SF Alpha and hate to charge Sonic Booms, this is the perfect pick. Otherwise...unremarkable.

NO. 35 : NECALLI

300?cb=20150720033653

Necalli is another interesting addition to Street Fighter and is basically an evil Mayan spirit going for the strongest in the world. His gameplay is super raw and brutal, with lunges, clawings and brutal swipes. He has possibly one of the best V-Triggers in the game that lasts for the whole duration of the round, amplifying his damage potential and combos.

However the biggest issue with Necalli is that story-wise they completely butchered him, he had potential to be as dangerous as Akuma. And another...weird inconvenience is that, same as Nash, he is super easy to read and punish with the proper defense.

Reasons to pick Necalli : He's one of the most unique characters and it's perfect for those who don't want to bother with V-Trigger mechanics and just love to mash buttons.

NO. 34 : HONDA

Honda_KeyArt.jpg

Honda is back and is stronger (and cleaner) than ever. Everyone that loved Honda in the previous games will be glad to see that he...is basically unchanged. With the exception of his V Triggers (extra hugs), he is the same old Honda. Neither good, nor bad, I just don't play this character. He is a force to be reckoned in the capable hands.

Reasons to pick Honda : If you played as him in the past entries, you won't be disappointed. Else, he's a fairly solid grappler.

NO. 33 : BLANKA

blanka-street-fighter-v5c64491426289850d3370847?width=1136&format=jpeg

The world's most annoying character is back also. Blanka is not as much of a dirtbag as he was in SF4 ( god he was awful there) but he is still super annoying with all his random balls, electricity and RAWRs. I put him as no 33 because I acknowledge his power but I also fucking hate him. I rarely despise a character as much as Blanka xD 

Reasons to pick Blanka: Perfect for annoying opponents, going RAWR mode and that plushie costume. Honestly if you play as Blanka and don't pick Blanka Chan costume, just...delete the game, it's not for you.

NO. 32 : BIRDIE

001.png?h=e2021d2694c0fd2858bc6472e8f51816

Another Final Fight character, Birdie finally caved in and ate his way out of obscurity. He is a glutonous "bodyguard" of some sorts that is surprisingly good as a character. His weird moveset, chain attacks and V skill banana throws can take many players off guard. Truth be told, whenever I am facing a Birdie player I double my guard since they are very random.

However...his GUT is super annoying. Reminds me of Rufus from SF4. Best costume is buffed Birdie.

Reasons to pick Birdie : If you like an unique character that can pack a serious punch and loves donuts, he's the perfect pick. He's also rather easy to learn. Trolling people with banana peels never gets old.

NO. 31 : SAGAT

SFV-Sagat_Portrait.jpg

The first true enemy of Ryu now on a redemption path, Sagat is just how you remember him : Slow, big and POWERFUL. Of course, spamming Tiger Shots is the way to go with this character, just to annoy the heck out of the opponent, followed by the basic but oh so powerful high kick and Tiger Uppercut. However his biggest downside is that, again, he is SO GODDAMN SLOW! So yeah, he's way tougher to learn than a Ryu or Ken.

Reasons to pick Sagat: If you like huge explosive menacing muscles full of propane and energy, Sagat is the right pick. Show' em who's the king!

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

30-21

The 30-21 spots are functional characters that are moderately fun to use and give a lot of options to pick from. They are not the flashiest or the most WTF but they get the job done for me. Also ironically they give me the most headache online because they can always sneak in an extra attack.

NO. 30 : IBUKI

ibuki-in-her-classic-ninjutsu-schoolgirl-disguise

Ibuki is back and she is as finnicky as ever. She is still the master of traps and bombs, her gameplay relies on high mobility and intricate combos and she also looks cute to boot!

But for all those tricks, you really need severe piano skills in order to properly control her, because lord I messed up my fingers trying to do her trials for the most basic of combos. Especially her Raida connections (when she grabs and Ki punches you), if you master those, you're set

Reasons to pick Ibuki : Cute ninja gal who is as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog and has a pet raccoon. Yeah those are the reasons.

NO. 29 : KOLIN

kolin-is-one-of-the-most-unique-characters-in-street-fighter-5-1488279647728.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=crop&quality=100&format=png&enable=upscale&auto=webp

First appearing in Street Fighter 3 as Gill's secretary, Kolin is a new playable character that uses ice to control the field. She is a versatile character using dash based attacks (everytime when I was relaxing she was suddenly gliding towards me while Parabellum slap my face). Her V Trigger amplifies her ice attacks. Plus, she looks hella good.

Problem with her...once Gill himself got introduced into the game, Kolin wasn't as noticeable anymore for me.

Reasons to pick Kolin : Blonde russian woman that can summon icicles is always a sight to see in a fight, even if she ends up kicking your ass. 

NO. 28 : ZANGIEF

2a7kt6.jpg

(sorry, I could not help but post this image just because of sheer manliness)

The next entry is another Russian combatant but this one is very well known and loved. Zangief returns, stronger, manlier and hairier than ever. He's pure MUSCLE POWER, even got his best fan R. Mika in the game as well and he will gladly Lariat and Cossack dance anyone.

Why is he no. 28? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE THE BANISHING FLAT ANYMORE FROM STREET FIGHTER 4 ! How can you nerf the pimp smack like that????SHAME!

Plus he is still ass versus projectiles.

Reasons to pick Zangief : If you like to hug people, spin to win, just increase adrenaline levels with your mere presence and ULTIMATE ATOMIC BUSTAHHHH, Zangief is your best bet.

NO. 27 : DHALSIM

latest?cb=20181209021206

Yoga man is back and boy does he pack a weird punch now. SF5 Dhalsim is the first time when I've seen this character be so aggressive. Although his movesets are the same, you actually have options to rush down and combo your enemy, although being far away and spamming long punches is still the preferred way to go. Still hard to use though, I never was able to play Dhalsim even remotely decent.

Reasons to pick Dhalsim : If aggressive spacing is your thing, then Dhalsim is the right pick. He's abit better than his SF4 counterpart.

NO. 26 : VEGA

latest?cb=20180526141012

You can't have a proper Street Fighter game without the most flamboyant man ever(apart from Street Fighter 3). Vega plays virtually the same, but his inputs has been simplified. Gone are the days when you had to pull weird motions just to fail a combo mid-air, now all his moveset is executed with simple quarter circles and z motions.

Problem with Vega...man he's weak. He's the equivalent of the arab guy with a huge sword in Indiana Jones that does flashy attacks just to end up being shot. He does damage, sure, but you really need to work out of your way to actually be proficient with this mad lad.

Reasons to pick Vega : For style points, air shenanigans and that yodel at the end. Vega is the artist's pick in this game.

NO. 25 : RYU

250px-Ryu_SF5.pnga329806e89d902be371dc55da23849e3.0.0.jpg

(contender for the best skin in the game)

The game's main protagonist is here ; No SF game is complete without him. As usual, Ryu is the textbook shoto character, having the most basic moveset and is usually the ideal character to learn Street Fighter with. His Hadoken, Shoryuken and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku are the most recognizable moves in fighting game history.

The main issue with Ryu in this game is how this is his weakest variant ever. Especially in Season 2, Ryu was barely playable because of how weak he was as a character. None of his fancier tools from SF4 were present, he was basically a dumbed down version of Ken. Had I not read the name tag I would have thought I was playing as Dan.

He was buffed in the later entries but...he's still a tryhard character. Do not expect to be that proficient with Ryu in this game from the get-go.

Reasons to pick Ryu : He's the Street Fighter archetype and still the best tool to learn the game with.

NO. 24 : R. MIKA

Rainbow-Mika-Street-Fighter-5-Hero-HD-Mobile-Wallpaper-950x1520.jpg

Yes, she is that high because of her looks, let's not kid ourselves. R. Mika is back from Alpha 3 I believe, she is a Japanese wrestler and fan of Zangief. She definitely wins in her aesthetics department, her obvious fanservice moves, her V Skill who is a microphone talk ( if Mika finishes her V Skill taunt, her next grab attack is a one shot) , her butt slam attacks (yes you heard that right) and her V-Trigger who is Nadeshiko, her tag teammate. She is bonkers for sure.

Reasons to pick Mika : Man of culture, fan of death by Snu Snu and a busty girl yelling like she smoked 4 packs of cigarettes before her match. Who cares about mechanics when you can butt slam someone.

NO. 23 : ALEX

latest?cb=20181130001637

The poster boy for Street Fighter 3 appears here as well. Alex somehow didn't transition too well into this game, his movements and animation seem abit awkward and times.

Still in terms of grappling, he is VERY fun. I know people kinda call him weak and at high level gameplay I understand why, but for me Alex is just so fun. His chokes, slams, lariats, elbows are really fun and flashy to pull. He's simple yet effective in the right hands.

Reasons to pick Alex : If you want the perfect wrestling grappler, he's the man for you. Almost as good of a slammer as Zangief, but with better reach.

NO. 22 : POISON

poison-02-png-jpgcopy_feature.jpg

Another former Mad Gear gang member from Final Fight, Poison was fortunately added in this game too, due to her popularity in 4. She now has new whip based attacks, molotovs and improved kick attacks. Whoever played as Poison in SF4 will not be disappointed by her.

My problem with Poison...I cannot comprehend her playstyle. I guess I am just too small of a brain for her moveset, but I could never get her whip cancels and combos. Respects to Poison mains.

Reasons to pick Poison : Her whip attacks have deceiving range, her kicks deal massive damage and her molotov plays really can give a nasty headache. Plus she looks stylish as hell.

NO. 21 : LUCIA

DC6D9DCD55326B09881531392038C182A51D1722

The cute New York police officer (Metro City, whatever she's from NY for me) is a surprising addition to the roster. I didn't know that Lucia is a Final Fight character but I have to say, was charmed of her accent, her personality and ... those fiery legs (nah really she kicks fireballs). Her gameplay ain't too bad either, she is rather unpredictable and fun. 

Her damage output is abit lame but with all her options, that's not so bad.

Reasons to pick Lucia : She looks good, she has a fun playstyle...she's an all rounder overall. Her tune is badass too.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Copanele said:

NO. 28 : ZANGIEF

2a7kt6.jpg

(sorry, I could not help but post this image just because of sheer manliness)

The next entry is another Russian combatant but this one is very well known and loved. Zangief returns, stronger, manlier and hairier than ever. He's pure MUSCLE POWER, even got his best fan R. Mika in the game as well and he will gladly Lariat and Cossack dance anyone.

Why is he no. 28? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE THE BANISHING FLAT ANYMORE FROM STREET FIGHTER 4 ! How can you nerf the pimp smack like that????SHAME!

Plus he is still ass versus projectiles.

Reasons to pick Zangief : If you like to hug people, spin to win, just increase adrenaline levels with your mere presence and ULTIMATE ATOMIC BUSTAHHHH, Zangief is your best bet.

How good is his lariat in SFV? That move was frustrating to play against in 4 until you figure out how to counter it effectively.

4 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

How good is his lariat in SFV? That move was frustrating to play against in 4 until you figure out how to counter it effectively.

I have to say, it's not as effective. Zangief is not the monster that he was in Street Fighter 4 anymore, you can hit him out of his lariat here. But it can be comboed better so it's a trade-off

20-11

Starting to get to the good stuff now. I really enjoyed playing as these characters, they were very good but...they just had something that prevented them from being top 10. Still, loved them

NO. 20 : ED

SFV-Ed_Portrait.jpg

A replacement body for M. Bison that was freed by Balrog, Ed is another brand new character using boxing moveset infused with Psycho Power. Initially I found him to be a very bland and easy to read character, but several matches against rather decent Eds proved otherwise. He can be VERY versatile and fun to use, PLUS he doesn't have any hard combos to pull. Also his theme is a real banger and he's the only reason Falke is only remotely interesting. 

Reasons to pick Ed : If you want to have a fun time with an easy execution character, Ed is just the guy.

NO. 19 : CAMMY

sf5-cammy.jpg

A character that needs no introduction, Cammy is back and she's just as much of a nimble character as before. You'll need fast reactions if you wish to play as her and even faster reactions against her. Her damage output is kind of on the lame side, but who cares when she's just as fun as before.

Reasons to pick Cammy : Easy to learn, decent combos, can be rather unpredictable.

NO. 18 : SAKURA

SFV-Sakura_Portrait.jpg

Sakura has grown up! Ryu's pupil found a job and got all serious, but still had time to train and throw some extra Hadokens in her spare time. I seriously believe this is her best version in any of the games, both gameplay and story wise. She isn't as tough as the Ryu/Ken combo, but she more than makes up for it with her own unique set of skills and tricks. Do not underestimate her!

Reasons to pick Sakura : The proper middle ground between serious focused Ryu and whacky wohoo Ken, you can't go wrong with Sakura.

NO. 17 : CHUN LI

220px-Chun-Li.png

And now for the No. 1 legs in videogames. Chun Li is absolutely brutal in this game. Her combo potential is super nasty, her inputs don't require as much charge as before, she is still as good as before. And that's probably her biggest flaw, she plays just like the previous iterations. It's not a bad thing, she is strong, but for any SF veteran, she is very easy to deal with.

Reasons to pick Chun Li : I mean... she is Chun Li. She is badass. No further reason needed.

NO. 16 : URIEN

urien-capcom-teppen-art.jpg

Gill's ego infused brother is here, as annoying as ever. Urien can be a real monster in the right hands with his tackles. Of course the biggest skill he has is the Aegis Reflector, an electric window that can really juggle you to oblivion and back. He's not the easiest character to use however so he does require some practice beforehand.

Reasons to pick Urien : His badass suit and god complex. He's pure badassery.

NO. 15 : GUILE

maxresdefault.jpg

Also known as Gay-el, Gweelay, Gilly, Gulzo and other random names, this flat top family man is back and will sonic boom everyone around him with his pure AMERICAN muscles. He is the wet dream of every turtle of this game. Do I hate him ? YES. Do I respect him as an actually dangerous individual? ALSO YES!

Reasons to pick Guile : To annoy opponents and pledge your life to AMERICA!

NO. 14 : BALROG

street-fighter-5s-balrog-isnt-the-balrog-i-know-and-love-1470308346820.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=crop&quality=100&format=png&enable=upscale&auto=webp

Finally I understood how Balrog plays in SF5. This punching machine was a mystery to me in the previous iterations, but this time he's an absolute blast to play. His damage output is HUGE, his V-Trigger furthers up the damage dealt which means EVEN MOAR DAMAGE and his Super is an OOMPH megaton punch that blasts almost half of your life away. He does not have a crossup move sadly, but if he had...he would have been top 10 hands down.

Reasons to pick Balrog : DAMAGE OVERLOAD!

NO. 13 : RASHID

Rashid_SFV_Guide_KsLeKRbDg.jpg

I wonder if his scouter can read power levels. Rashid is yet another addition to the game and he is the nimblest of the bunch by far! He is really easy to lose track of, and with his V-Triggers he can gain control of the entire field in a matter of seconds. The only downside is that once he is losing momentum he can receive a real punishment.

Reasons to pick Rashid : Freedom of movement and simply character design. Plus he is a very carefree individual, not being bound by the harsh rules of this game.

NO. 12 : JURI

21_jurinew09.jpg

A SF4 character, Juri returns to once again punish whoever is unlucky enough to stand before her. As usual, she is a very complex character to use, but her moveset and her Tae Kwon Do style is so goddamn fun I can't help but love this character. Also for me, her combos make the most sense in the entire game.

Reasons to pick Juri : Style, serious playstyle, no fooling around, badass Jolyne Cujoh callout from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

NO. 11 : LAURA

340?cb=20160229175121

The sister of Sean Matsuda from SF3 and a far more competent fighter, Laura is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu master that uses various grappling and limited electric techniques to punish her opponents.

Reasons to pick Laura: I am not sure why I should write any reasons. I had to search for a decent picture as to not get banned from this forum for indecency. DID YOU SEE HOW SHE LOOKS LIKE? Also her "Bonita" t-shirt really gets the blood flowing. She should be banned from tournaments xD 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

10-1

And here they are, the top 10, the best characters in the game in my opinion. I'd always pick them, I love playing as them, I love playing AGAINST them, I don't know...they make this game work for me.

NO. 10 : ZEKU

SFV-Zeku_(Old)_Portrait.jpg

Breaking up with No. 10 is Zeku, Guy's Bushinryu master and apparently the first Strider ninja in history (Capcom timelines make no sense). The great thing about this character is that you actually play as 2 characters : Old Zeku and Young Zeku (toggling between them in-match). They have different movesets, you can combo toggle between them and young Zeku plays as Guy basically. What's more, Young Zeku's V Skill 2 has an angry weasel karate kicking during the match. This character is FUN!

Reasons to pick Zeku : If you like to party and think you can keep up, Zeku is perfect for you. Perfect choice to confuse the opponent.

NO. 9 : KARIN

karin-sf5-screenshot3.jpg

Karin is all about that grace and efficiency in fighting. Initially when I encountered Karin in Alpha series and later in the UDON comics, I actually hated her. She was that typical rich as hell Kaiba like brat who knows only to "o-hohohoho" laugh and consider everyone a peasant.

Street Fighter 5 changed my perspective. Karin is one of the few characters that have a certain flow to their movesets. She is crazy effective, lots of options, her design looks classy as hell, she is basically Dudley but the female variant, and I mean that in finesse.

Reasons to pick Karin : If you like to have class while demolishing your opponent, Karin is the one. She is rich not only in bank account, but also in movesets.

NO. 8 : KEN

portrait-ken-2.jpg

Ken finally distanced himself from Ryu with this game. While Ryu remained the same focused traditional Ansatsuken practitioner, Ken has completely adapted this art to his carefree way of life. What resulted was probably the best Ken version in any Street Fighter game ever. All of his moves feel unique, flashy yet insanely effective, he's the upgrade to Ryu in any way and he has a ton of tools at his disposal that even a beginner will grasp after few matches. On the downside...he has the worst character design from all the Ken characters. Why did Capcom ruin him so?

Reasons to pick Ken: If you want to play as an EFFECTIVE shoto, want to yolo Shoryukens or have a mandatory poor connection, Ken is the right choice. Jokes aside, this character is super strong online!

NO. 7 : M. BISON

SF_GA_600x720_80.jpg

(yes I am posting this one instead, since it perfectly depicts Bison in this game)

LORD BIBSON IS THE SHIT! That's what crosses my mind every time I am near this character. The evil Shadaloo cartoonish villain is extremely versatile in this game. He won't bother to run towards you(his walk speed is hilarious) but who cares since he can Psycho teleport near you, suck all the energy out of you, scissor kick, stomp then laugh at your puny ass. Bison and Laggy Ken were my worst enemies online. He is simply overpowering. Reason why he's only no. 7 is because the other characters simply blow me away.

Reasons to pick Bison : Evil dictator power and simple crushing pressure. I don't know, why NOT to pick him?

NO. 6 : GILL

c34405a3c2ca2a7836578a57681c60fa.jpg

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA! If anyone knows those words, then they understand why Gill is so up there in the list. Gill was the second-to-last addition to the game and honestly...not many people were excited about him. That changed when he actually showed up and blew everyone away with his combos, retribution system (if you hit a frozen/burning enemy with the opposite element) and sheer god posture. Maybe he ain't as effective as others and he's a far cry from the asshole that was in SF3, but he does not disappoint.

Reasons to pick Gill : Elemental juggling and best voice acting in the game. Also one of the 3 characters with actual bonkers combos.

NO. 5 : SETH

49526927627_7504e25466_k.jpg

Had anyone told me that Seth will be a fun character in SF5 I would have laughed my ass off. Seth was atrocious in SF4 both as a boss and a playable character.

In SF5 though? My god he's amazing. His whole gimmick is stealing moves from whoever he faces with his tandem engine. That opens up endless combo possibilities (I bet no Zangief ever expected to get reverse piledrive), further amplified by his V-Trigger who adds one extra move. You can do mad combos with this crazy character. What's best however, he has movesets from Darkstalker and JoJo games! Talk about diversity!

Reasons to pick Seth : If you want anime level of combos in a SF game and are a sucker for nostalgia (and dream at a Darkstalker revival), Seth is an obvious choice.

NO. 4 : AKUMA

Akuma-1.jpg

Akuma needs no introduction. He is again one of the most iconic villains (although at this point is he even a villain anymore?) in the franchise, and in this iteration all of his moves have been revamped. Akuma feels fresh, more effective than ever and menacing to a fault. What's more, activating V-Trigger 2 feels like activating his Shin Akuma form for a short while. Yes he has pathetic low health as usual but his damage output is through the roof as usual.

Reasons to pick Akuma : If you want a pure damage dealing effective character that can dominate the match in a few combos, pick this raging demon.

NO. 3 : CODY

street_fighter_5_cody-600x337.jpg

My main character in this game and the person with the best story arc in the entire series, Cody has undergone some serious changes. From vigilante to convict, he finally was absolved of his prison sentence and has been given the position of Mayor of Metro City. If Haggar entrusts this guy with the keys to the Town Hall, then he's really something else.

Gameplaywise, Cody still remains the only TRUE street fighter brawler, but now with some refinement to his moveset. He still has his trusty knife and pipe as V-Triggers, his goddamn ruffian kick can give many headaches (the amount of hatemail that I got....) and his Zonk knuckle punch can start up some serious combos. His most useful tools are his target combo (mash punch) and his V Skill 1, the best anti-air move in the game in my opinion. Whoever jumps at me will get kicked.

Reasons to pick Cody : If you want a strong character that can dominate the match with the most basic of tools and love an actual good backstory, choose Cody.

NO. 2 : KAGE

maxresdefault.jpg

This goofy looking ass evil ryu wannabe turned from the worst charater in the game into the best hands down. Kage is a powerhouse now, doing mad combo damage and flicks that really resemble Evil Ryu in his glory days. The main point of Kage is that you can YOLO him. You can never expect when he'll mash a stupid Shoryuken, do axe kicks after axe kicks and just yell his way through the match. This character is so ridiculous it's amazing, never would I have thought he can be so goddamn fun.

Even his throws are so stupid I love it, he can flip you like a sack of potatoes while growling like a death metal singer. Also his V Trigger 2... RAAARGH smash to the ground. It's stupid yet fun as hell. 

Reasons to pick Kage : His sheer ridiculousness and concept is what sells him here. If you want to experience the epitome of shoto retardness, get Kage and go wild. Just look at him! 

NO. 1 : G

GlojlC8.png

Oh god where do I start with G? How can I explain why he's nr 1 character for me in this game?

First...his posture. He's a combo between Abraham Lincoln and Uncle Sam, with that ridiculous top hat and flamboyant beard.

Second...his design. Walking like he is the president (he does call himself the president of the world), saluting, bowing, going "SHAKE HANDS WITH THE PRESIDENT" as a taunt, having a gold version of the globe spinning across his body, weighting 300+ kg....

Then it's the mystery around him. He is G. Nobody knows where he comes from, where he goes or what he wants. His name is an initial, same as Q, a mystery character from SF3 (he can have Q's alternate costume as well). He's an unknown character that confuses everyone.

And then there's his gameplay OMG he is so great! In season 3, SF5 was kinda the worst fighting game around there. When this crazy man appeared, nobody minded him, people were eh who cares, Sagat is back at least. But then his gameplay showed up.....WOW. Just WOW. He revitalized the game. Even most youtubers were blown away by his tricks, the way he punched stuff into oblivion and how he comboed like no character did before. G was a breath of fresh air and even now most people pick him only because of his uniqueness. His GeoForce presidentiality charges are really changing the pace of the game and he can combo for days.

Reasons to pick G : If you want one of the most unique characters in a fighting game, want to just have pure fun or even shake hands with the president, pick G. You won't get disappointed.

WHEW That was all. Took me a while, not sure why I wanted to write this. I just felt that I had to do this post because I spent so much time with this game. In the end, I loved Street Fighter 5, even if it gave me nightmares. A decent game. Stupid capcom, hope they bring up even better characters in Season 5.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: No. 101 : Titan Quest

+96% completed

7d2e14cf81ce61b91f7284501cc63a68cc18a955fb3b31ad2b7086fa03650618.jpg?w=1000

Platinum Name : Son of Zeus 1Sa0fdac.png

Hardest Trophy : Legendary Hero - Complete the game in Legendary Mode 4Sc1172f.png

Difficulty : 4/10 - Legendary Mode can kick your ass if not prepared

Personal impression : PC Version - 9.2/10

PS4 Version - 7.1/10

WARNING ! Diablo 2 will be mentioned alot.

It always gets me happy when my childhood games are remastered/brought back to the newer platforms or straight up revived. This is the case with Titan Quest, an aRPG initially launched in 2006. A more successful Diablo 2 clone, along Torchlight, Titan Quest tasks you into saving the ancient world in the best way possible : By murdering millions of mythological beings with the shiniest bling you can find at your disposal.

The premise of the game is pretty simple : Choose your character (Male/female and the tunic color, there's no customization other than that), beat the living hell out of monsters, find shiny loot, level up, rinse and repeat. It's exactly what you'd expect from a classic aRPG. The game has 6 areas : Greece (where you start the adventure), Egypt, Orient, Hades( added with the Immortal Throne DLC), The North (Ragnarok DLC) and Atlantis (Atlantis DLC). Your task is to either chase the titans, stop Hades from conquering the world, stop Ragnarok or even messing around in the lost city of Atlantis. The game isn't very deep lorewise (duh, it's a game where you mash to win) but luckily it's very atmospheric, with lots of nods and mentions of all the mythos in the mentioned worlds. I have to admit, I am quite impressed of how many references are in this game. It sure is way more accurate than God of War.

Unlike Diablo 2, you do not choose your class from the very beginning. When you level up you will receive 2 Attribute points to boost your stats (Health, Mana, Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence) and 3 Skill points. When you have your first level up,  you have to choose from one of the following masteries :

• Warfare - fully set on offense and dealing as much damage as possible.
  • Defense - fully set on defense, allows full usage of shields and shield skills, best for survivability.
  • Nature - Healing, buffs and summons
  • Rogue - Low health, critical damages, poison based
  • Hunting - the dedicated ranged build, but also has a spear focused tree, based on critical damage from afar
  • Spirit - Titan Quest version of a necromancer , based on health drain and spectre summoning
  • Earth - basically Pyromancy
  • Storm - ice and lightning
  • Dream (Immortal Throne DLC) - a very interesting support class that augments most of the attacks with critical damage and stun/sleep + auras
  • Runes (Ragnarok DLC) - another support class that imbues weapons with rune power, very good for magical damage.

You boost any of the mentioned masteries with the skill points.

Why did I mention all these classes? Because when you reach level 8 you can PICK A SECOND CLASS. And there's where Titan Quest gets so fun and is so beloved even 14 years after its release : You can combine ANY of the 10 mentioned masteries to create a specific class. For example Warfare + Dream creates a Harbinger, while Hunting + Runes creates a Dragon Hunter.

Each class is PERFECTLY VIABLE but it requires more or less knowledge of what each skill does and how it will synergise with a skill from the second mastery. For instance, while a Warfare + Defense build is pretty straightforward (both would focus on Strength and physical weapons), a Rogue + Spirit would be a hybrid class since it would ask both Strength and Intelligence points. It would still be perfectly viable but it won't be as easy to play as.

Experimentation is key in Titan Quest, which is done very easily with the loot system. My god this game is full of trinkets, items and artefacts. Every item has a quality grade, the aRPG fans would instantly recognize the color code : 

• Grey - trash, don't even bother
  • White - common, good for the first level of the game
  • Yellow - magical, has one extra stat that slightly improves your build
  • Green - rare, more stats
  • Olive Green - special drops from regular monsters, kind of useless truth be told
  • Blue - Epic, most of them are part of sets
  • Purple - Legendary, the most OP blings in the game. Don't expect to find them too soon.

Other than these items, enemies drop both Charms and Relic parts, you need to combine multiple parts in order to form a full relic or charm. They can either be applied on armor or be saved to create Artifacts, special envelope items that require 3 different relics or charms. Artifacts can be very powerful and on later levels, the Artifacts themselves can be combined to get even more powerful artifacts.

In a short conclusion, this game is super stuffed. Coming with all the mentioned mechanics, loot system and 3 difficulty levels, you won't get bored that's for sure!

However....PS4 version has some serious issues. First of all, 2 DLC trophies are straight up unobtainable, reason why the game is only at 96% completion. Then, the targeting system in this game is absolutely abysmal (the port from the PC is half assed). Game tends to crash, some items fall through the map, ranged characters have quite of a headache while targeting specific monsters....it takes a while to get accustomed. 

Also, while the game is pretty easy on Normal, the game gets unforgiving on Epic and Legendary. Every difficulty level cuts your resistances to elements, first by 40% then by 100%. Without a proper build and farming you will get one shot by the lamest boar on Legendary. 

Luckily this game has a great Multiplayer system that is wonderful (when it works, that is). You can meet your friends or random players, trade items, get OP even before finishing Normal and even having someone do the platinum for you. Indeed, the platinum can be achieved in co-op, joining a session of a player on Legendary mode can cut the play time dramatically.

Honestly, this is a very fun game if you wish to relive the good old Diablo 2 times where you needed brains also, not only a strong thumb (hear that Diablo 3? ). Unfortunately, with all the bugs, crashes and lame pricey Atlantis DLC....I'd recommend waiting for a major fix and a DLC discount. The game is not worth it yet. It is totally worth it if you own a PC and have a Steam account though :3 

THE GOOD :

- opportunity to bash the mythological world

- HUGE array of loot, items, charms, relics and even the kitchen sink

- masteries are a delight to try and experiment

- interesting bosses and very interesting secret bosses that appear only on EPIC or LEGENDARY

- there are 2 COW LEVEL variants on this game (D2 connoisseurs know what I mean ;) )

- Ragnarok DLC is absolutely amazing, reminds me of Lord of Destruction expansion pack

THE BAD:

- huge amount of items, same amount of bugs

- unobtainable trophies

- obtuse mechanics

- lame port from the vastly superior PC version

- crashes for days

- DLCs are way too expensive

- Atlantis DLC straight up sucks ass, it's not worth even having yet.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum: No. 102 : Assassin's Creed Odyssey

+100%

f9jvrf3nwdgdil287sla_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Platinum Name : Epic Cycle 1S5cfd0a.png

Hardest Trophy : 1 versus 100 94M86797c.png - Defeat the Hekatonchires - just because it's the last trophy in the entire game +DLC

Difficulty : 3/10 - due to the sheer number of options, this is one of the easiest AC games to complete.

Personal impression : 8.8/10

Here it is, the final AC Platinum in my list. With Odyssey, I managed to platinum every single available AC game in the series (no stacking). It was a glorious journey that ended up with the most epic adventure so far.

In Odyssey, you are thrown again in someone's memories with the help of the Animus. Now you can choose between Alexios and Kassandra, two twin Misthios (mercenary) that live in Ancient Greece, 400 years from AC Origins. Since technically Bayek founded the Hidden Ones, precursors of the Assassins, this game can be considered the least "Assassin's Creed" game in the series. 

However, despite not feeling as a true AC game, Odyssey is not to be neglected. The world of Greece is wonderful, accurately depicted and filled with history and mythology. This is by far the best looking AC to date and it shows : I can't help but praise the devs at Ubisoft for rendering every single island, every single temple and all the population that fills this beautiful country. I couldn't help but 100% the entire map without getting bored, this game is that beautiful. You have the chance to climb the Acropolis, visit the statue of Athena, the marvels of the world Statue of Zeus and temple of Artemis, sail the Aegean seas, compete in the Olympics and more. Truly an Odyssey.

All this is done through the eyes of either Alexios or Kassandra (I picked Alexios because for me he felt more of a goofball). The game now implements dialogue options Witcher-style, where most choices that you do will reflect in the ending of the game. There are also side-quests in this game, where most people either send you to do weird errands or have an unique interaction with you. I have to say, these were one of the funniest and most enjoyable sidequests that I had the pleasure of completing. From the grandma with the Ancient Viagra recipe, the hilariously cursed village, the dumb olympian and so on, there's so many hilarious sidequests that will make you smile every now and then. Given the fact that now there are romancing options (Alexios/Kassandra usually have the option to sleep with NPC's that are around the quests) it could lead up to hilarious consequences (mind Supideo's quest, you will have a surprise).

The game also has some of the best NPC's in the series and they made me realize what was missing in Origins : The rag-tag team of goody-two-shoes. You first meet your trusty First Mate Barnabas, a superstitious old man with one eye and who is easily the best character in the game in my opinion. Along the adventure you meet the celebrities of the time such as Herodotos, Perikles, Sokrates, Alkibiades and so on. Sokrates and Alkibiades especially are absolutely amazingly portrayed in this game. I abandoned every single quest or target that I had whenever I saw their quests popping up on the map. Word of warning though, without abit of historical knowledge, this game won't make much sense.

The combat is...allright. It's way more complex that the old "parry-to-win" mechanic from the previous games. Now you have 3 branches to focus : Hunter for bows, Warrior for swords/daggers/maces and so on and Assassin for assassination techniques. You don't have a hidden blade in this game,instead you have the Spear of Leonidas which acts like an overpowered Hidden Blade. Here all links to reality have been broken, since you can assassinate, teleport, poison, set on fire and many more skills, only with the stupid tip of the spear(an Isu artifact of course). If you go warrior path you might have the impression that you are actually playing God of War.

The naval combat has also been added in this game and ...well it's not as flashy as the Black Flag combat, that's for sure. It can be explainable, since in Ancient Greece nobody had cannons actually. The sea adventure compensates with the best sea shanties ever, sung in Greek. You can also customize your ship, get all manners of lieutenants or crew and more. Honestly talking about this game will take way too much time.

HOWEVER! This game is not perfect. For a time I really considered it to be the best Assassin's Creed game I ever played. However there were some major issues that showed up right at the end and I will describe below.

First of all, the present day story IS UTTERLY ATROCIOUS . The new protagonist Layla Hassan is an insufferable Mary Sue that does everything right and every of her stupid actions are instantly forgiven. She is by far one of the worst characters in a videogame ever conceived. Honestly she herself is absolutely ruining the game with her presence. Removing her would be so much better. Honestly I miss the speechless drones from Black Flag and Rogue.

Second, this does not feel like an Assassin's Creed game. Sure, there's Isu and whatnot but the characters and plot are so disjointed from the main conflict it really makes me wonder if everything happening in Odyssey is actually canon to the overall story.

And lastly...the DLC. There are 2 major DLCs split into 3 parts : Legacy of the Hidden Blade and Fate of Atlantis. Both of them start spectacularly however their ending falls flat and is absolutely demoralizing. I would have honestly preferred the DLCs would not exist. Although legacy of the first blade brings abit of forced lore, Fate of Atlantis is pure aesthetics and 0 substance. Curse of the Pharaohs in Origins was slightly better.

Overall this is a fantastic game that I can wholeheartedly recommend. However, do not play it as part of the AC franchise, you might be disappointed. Also...pick up a greek history and mythology book firsthand, else the game might be abit confusing.

THE GOOD:

-10/10 representation of Ancient Greece

-absolutely hilarious side-quests

-finally a good logical main quest

-Characters are very well written

-the greek sea shanties

-Fate of Atlantis worlds look amazing

-a combat that forces you to think and build your character

-choices have consequences. I always am up for that.

THE BAD

-present day story should be removed

-Layla Hassan is the worst character ever created in videogames

-Feels disconnected from the main lore

-DLCs fall flat at the end.

-the world is too big for its own good

-annoying level scaling

• Like 3

I have to disagree with you on one point— the DLC. Major spoilers below for anyone who has not gotten the 100% on this game.

Spoiler

I actually felt everything that the three realms of the Underworld were intended to make me feel. Elysium was stunning and yet, for me, not a paradise. I'm not a big outdoorsy person (unless I'm at the beach) and I couldn't imagine spending an eternity there, even without the ridiculous, controlling understructure that Persephone managed it with. It really reminded me of the concept that paradise is different for everyone and by the end of that section, it definitely had me wanting to escape. Cerberus was totally fierce and was done 100% better than the monstrosity that Dante's Inferno turned him into. Hades did its job just as well as Elysium. Trudging through the muck and dirt and ash made me feel bogged down and the game just took on an overall depressing feeling of hopelessness. Even Hades' palace felt rundown and more like a shack than an opulent mansion. Seeing Brasidas there and finding out that he belonged there was even more of a letdown, which is exactly what was intended. Then came Atlantis— my kind of paradise. I could have stayed there forever. I absolutely loved Poseidon (even though I imagined him to look totally different than he did). Atlantis was like an eternal Venice, only the water was blue and there wasn't a speck of dirt in it. It was a visual marvel and I truly enjoyed the way the story came together to explain why Atlantis sank (or was purposefully sunk, as the case may be). As for Legacy of the Hidden Blade, I loved Darius and it was nice to see where the hidden blade originated. Neema was beautiful and I adored Elpidios (whose name means "hope," by the way). It broke my heart when Neema was killed and I could feel the pain that Alexios and Darius displayed over her loss.

The only things I hate about Assassin's Creed Odyssey are Layla Hassan, Akibiades, and Kassandra. lol

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Hide contents

Oh I believe it is the way we perceived the game. I didn't fully express my feelings regarding the game here (since it will take a huge amount of space and I can't write that much) but what disappointed me at the DLCs were the way the story was outlined. Honestly I would have added 1 more chapter in the Legacy of the First Blade, the goddamn fast forward at the end of ep2 broke the immersion for me. I loved it up until that point. The characters are top notch, gotta agree, i just felt the story was so rushed it kinda fell flat on its nose. 

As for Atlantis... Actually I will answer to that tomorrow since I need my trusty laptop for that xD . Basically : loved the concept but man screw the Isu, got so tired of their McGuffins. They are who ruined the experience for me. Hekate was kinda hot though. 

And although I can't condemn you for hating Alkibiades, he was perfectly portrayed. He was a backstabbing meddling party throwing beautiful greek  General. I don't think you can get a better depiction of him tbh xD

Plus I loved turning him down. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Excellent review of Odyssey.

I treated Origins as a stand alone game and enjoyed it a lot more. I will do the same for Odyssey when I finally get around to it.

Thanks! I tried my best to keep the impressions as compact as possible. Had I written everything I felt about this game, it would have been too much of a post . Can't wait for your opinions also, get to that 250 platinum :3 

6 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I found Hekate kind of nasally and annoying, but then, she is the goddess of witchcraft. lol 

Yup that was intended. She truly is the goddess of witchcraft like that. Uuu boy I loved visiting her. Wished Alexios could romance her lol.

OK @Kristen Danielle now that I am at my laptop(and I can word my opinions in a more fancy manner xD )let me properly answer in a spoiler quotation what I think about the DLC. As usual if you haven't played the game DO NOT READ INTO THE SPOILERS cause there's some plot points there.

Spoiler

First of all let me tell you that I absolutely like how you interpreted the story. It's definitely a great way to see it (especially Atlantis and that Cerberos mentioning - although in Dante's Inferno Cerberos is depicted as a worm just to be accurate to the book written by Dante Alighieri, but I digress.

My thoughts about Legacy of the First Blade

When I saw Darius I was "OF COURSE THE IDEA OF ASSASSINS EXISTED BEFORE ODYSSEY AM I DUMB? Darius was mentioned in AC2 as the first assassin ever who killed king Xerxes. I utterly forgot that the Peloponnesian war happened AFTER king Xerxes, bad history lesson from my part. 

Anyway, I absolutely loved Darius and Neema. They were awesome characters (Neema's counterpart Natakas sounds like crap honestly), loved their introduction. I completely disagree with the raging fans that were mad that their choices didn't matter at all : MOTHERFUCKERS YOU GET BABIES FROM A MAN+WOMAN RELATIONSHIP. Fucking biology am I right? No Alexios/Kassandra baby = no goddamn Assassins. Also absolutely loved the nod to Prince of Persia, the dagger that you get from the first final boss is the Dagger of Time and the sword from the final boss of the DLC is the sword of the kings from PoP3.  BUT ANYWAY I DIGRESS

What I didn't like about LotFB : The ending of part 2 ruined it for me. The threat was obviously not gone and Darius knew it. I loved when I had the option to ask Neema to stay.

FAST FORWARD - happy couple, got a kid, Alexios is your average happy farmer. WHAT ABOUT THE PERSIAN THREAT??? From that point I was...oh no they are going for that cliche "my family dies I must avenge them" , pleaaaase Ubisoft....which they did anyway. I guessed the entirety of the 3rd DLC episode by detail and I...was not happy.

What pissed me off even more was that at the end, Elpidios was the ancestor of Aya (understandable, since Aya is mentioned to be half-greek). WHY DIDN'T WE PLAY AS AYA THEN IN ORIGINS? (that's actually answered, one CEO at Ubisoft thought that games with female protagonists don't sell. He was an asshat and got fired recently)

So yeah conclusion for LotFB : Loved the premise, hated the pacing.

My thoughts about Fate of Atlantis

Having played AC Origins and Curse of the Pharaohs first, I was "HECK YEAH IMMA VISIT ELYSIUM AND TARTAROS AND SURE ATLANTIS". The first episode was amazing and just as you said: a beautiful prison commandeered by a scornful goddess. Persephone was great, Hekate was double great, Adonis should have been blond, met Leonidas and fished with him. Absolutely awesome DLC. No complains.

Second episode started even better : Hades going John Wick on me (YOU GET A FUCKING 3 HEADED DOG). God I loved Hades. Tartaros was even more enjoyable than Elysium. Met Brasidas, met Phoibe (not gonna lie, it touched my heart and was terribly angry when she died), Charon was the most enjoyable pencil pusher hell has ever seen. All the nods from the main game were absolutely amazing. Poor Testiklos was a work of art.

And then...I fought...Hades. WHY! WHY DID I HAVE TO FIGHT HIM? Persephone showed what a "god" truly is, she just flung me into the abyss. Hades looked like the cunning yet slightly bored OP god of the Underworld and his bets with Poseidon were even more enjoyable. Then...I fight him. I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT HADES! Let me escape through some trickery. Some deceit. Pull some Odysseus tricks outta my sleeves. Not just whack him and be rescued by Poseidon when Tartaros collapses.

Now here comes Atlantis. Beautiful city, horrible layout. Maaaaan I hated traversing that goddamn city, especially since Alexios tended to jump into the water at every single step. Poseidon really felt like a good god but I expected him to be more....Poseidon. You know, angry old man when things don't go his way. Atlantis was pretty meh story-wise for me, the twist at the end was abit underwhelming (yeah I figured that the mythological beasts are Eden infused humans from the main game). I swear I can't remember much except that chick that wanted to become an Isu and just blasted Atlas into oblivion. That cracked me up. Oh and Alexios' monologue in front of the sleeping Atlantis xD 

They turned Juno and Aita into one-dimensional villains....even with the mwahahaha I will kill all humanity trope. Juno was a very dangerous villain in my eyes, and after they dealt with her in the comics, seeing her here just showing up throwing shades in front of POSEIDON THE RULER OF ATLANTIS WHO COULD FUCK YOU UP WITH A SWOOSH OF THE TRIDENT felt super dumb for me. Also that's not a Hekatonkires, that's a dumb Titan from Batman Arkham Asylum. God of War Ascension got it right Hekatonkires wise.

Conclusion for FoA : STOP MAKING ME FIGHT GODS! THIS IS NOT GOD OF WAR!

For me DLCs were like someone threw a booger into the best cake ever. Yeah the cake still tastes super awesome but YOU KNOW there's a booger there.  Won't even consider Layla Hassan who is the equivalent of sewage water in this game. Still can't forget the " I killed Victoria Bibeau with my staff - PLEASE ALETHEIA GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE I CAN DO IT YOU KNOW IT !" while Victoria is laying dead. I actually expected for a combo counter to show up above Layla's head like in Devil May Cry when she whomped Victoria. She should honestly be eliminated from this game.

Anyway, this is my honest view regarding the DLCs. I like when we argue about how we interpret these games, this is a pretty good series despite Ubisoft's shitty practices.

I just wish for Valhalla to be at least half as good as this one. They are bringing Jesper Kyd back as composer and hired Wardruna for the songs so I have big hopes soundtrack wise.

Hope you didn't fall asleep by reading all this wall of text xD 

• Like 1

💯 No. 15 : Letter Quest Remastered

letter-quest-grimms-journey-remastered-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-22mar16?$Icon$

Hardest Trophy : Born to Spell 12S4f34f3.png spell 3000 words

Difficulty : 2/10

Personal impression : 7.5/10

Letter Quest Remastered is a cute puzzle game that I played on a whim. You have to pick between Grimm and Rose and battle various monsters with the power of words. Simple premise, you get a grid of 5x3 filled with random letters and try your best to defeat the monsters by writing the longest word. Basically like Bookworm Adventures, if anyone played that little gem on the PC.

Defeating monsters give you gems, which are the currency of the game. The longer the words the better the rewards. With these gems you can buy various items such as armor, better life, buffs and so on.

Honestly there's  not much to say about this game, other than it's very cute and fun to play, especially if you are not a native English speaker. There is abit of grinding involved (after finishing all the levels on all difficulties I had 2200 spelled words and I needed 3000 for the final trophy) but other than that there's not much to it. 

Really wished they would bring Bookworm adventures on PS4...

THE GOOD :

- cute premise

- game can be challenging but not overly difficult

- you can actually learn some new words

- Rose is a cute Grim Reaper

THE BAD:

- not much monster variety

- the music can be abit obnoxious

Edited by Copanele

:platinum: No. 103 : Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3)

220px-Batman_Arkham_Asylum_Videogame_Cov

Platinum Name : Platinum Trophy 1S36b4e7.png

Hardest Trophy : Biggest Bang 19S569e7c.png- complete the game on Hard mode - stupid final fight before Joker took me 10 attempts. Maybe I was tired.

Difficulty : 3/10 - playing fighting games between PS4 and PS3 version trivialized the combat challenges for me

Personal impression : 8/10

Not much has changed from my initial impressions about this game (which you can read as entry :platinum: 29 in my list). Still one of the best superhero games out there, the combat feels abit janky but at its time it was glorious. All I needed for this platinum were the combat challenges, predator challenges and finishing the game on Hard difficulty.

The only notable difference were the combat challenges : Before I really had issues with them. After playing some fighting games (especially that blasted Street Fighter 5 that built my reflexes), i found the challenges to be trivial this time around. Didn't spend more than 2 hours to do them all (took me abit to remember the controls)

A great game, but make sure to pick up the PS4 version(if you have a PS4 that is xD ). It's way better looking.

THE GOOD:

- finally, a GOOD superhero game

- combat is excellent

- memorable bosses worthy of Batman lore

- Batman is not an invincible destruction machine, both stealth and combat sections are brilliant

- challenges now are FUN for me(I said in my first review that the challenges were horrible. What a clueless lad I was)

THE BAD:

- the final fight is still stupid.

• Like 2

If you were playing "whacky" games such as Age of Empires and Heroes of Might & Magic on your youth and not an orange mascot that not even Sony knows what animal it is, then you were doing the right thing. :P

Nah, just kidding. xD  It was fun reading this. I have never played a Crash game in full before. It looks like it could be right up my alley since I like platformers and I'm reasonably competent at them...I think... The only Crash game I played was one called Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex on the GameCube, and I hated it. ? I was like, "Why the hell people think jumping in a game like this can be fun?" I wasn't really able to get into the groove of that game and found it extremely appalling back then. Then again, I also had Super Mario Sunshine to play alongside, which was miles better. x3

That being said, I've always been interested in trying these games out in a proper way despite that initial bad opinion I got of the series back then. This collection in particular looks like it could be a nice starting point. ^_^

I just hope I don't end up like this ↓ ?

9b1.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

If you were playing "whacky" games such as Age of Empires and Heroes of Might & Magic on your youth and not an orange mascot that not even Sony knows what animal it is, then you were doing the right thing. :P

Nah, just kidding. xD  It was fun reading this. I have never played a Crash game in full before. It looks like it could be right up my alley since I like platformers and I'm reasonably competent at them...I think... The only Crash game I played was one called Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex on the GameCube, and I hated it. 1f605.png I was like, "Why the hell people think jumping in a game like this can be fun?" I wasn't really able to get into the groove of that game and found it extremely appalling back then. Then again, I also had Super Mario Sunshine to play alongside, which was miles better. x3

That being said, I've always been interested in trying these games out in a proper way despite that initial bad opinion I got of the series back then. This collection in particular looks like it could be a nice starting point. ^_^

I just hope I don't end up like this ↓ 1f602.png

9b1.gif

Thank you. Now that gif will forever haunt me too xD 

Japan...just why?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

May I also share a Crash gif? 1f601.png

bJ6mDnM.gif

Yeah, those japanese Crash ads were something else. 

200% agree with @Honor_Hand, the updates and posts were very entertaining. 

Lol many thanks xD now i finally feel that this plat was worth the mental damage, these gifs do reach into my soul. 

Crash is like an old East european boogeyman not gonna lie. 

• Like 2

Finally I can do one ranking that I've been eager to do since forever. A ranking for a series that took me 2 years to complete(mainly because I can't binge them damn games). I analysed, did some graphics, even have a whiteboard with them listed. 

So, without any other useless introductions :

ASSASSIN'S CREED RANKING!

I've been eager to do this ranking ever since I reached AC Syndicate in my list. Now since I finished Odyssey this July (crazy game), I can finally rank them, worst to best. For everyone who reads this, bear in mind this is my opinion. Of course, them having different themes, it's only natural for them to have different kinds of appeal.

I will have to note that I did 100% complete Assassin's Creed 1 on PC even though it has no trophy list. Also AC Valhalla will be added...one day. Whenever it will be released with all of them DLCs and it will be fully functional. Maybe in 2022 considering how Ubisoft does things xD 

Also I will rank them according to protagonists. Don't be surprised if you will see Freedom Cry as a stand-alone entry here.

Let's kick this off with my least favorite in the series : 

No. 16 : Assassin's Creed Liberation

Assassin's_Creed_III_Liberation_Cover_Ar

Easily the worst in the series and for good reason : This is a Playstation Vita title, ported on PS3 and PS4. It's a broken mess full of bugs, weird graphics and stiff characters. Aveline is not an interesting protagonist, I even forgot what the plot was about, nothing that happens in this game even helps moving the plot. The Bayou ain't really that impressive, the only unique experience is that you are able to fall through the map. Truly an Ubisoft experience.

There are some good parts though : The Chicken Itza level has nice soundtrack and the persona system is interesting in theory, if useless in practice. Aveline's Lady persona is super annoying but she makes up for it with the umbrella that shoots darts. Her standard Assassin attire looks the best and her third persona is a servant/slave/can't really remember, something too weak to even matter.

Shame, because it was quite a promising title. But man did they fail to deliver.

No. 15 : Assassin's Creed Chronicles : India

ujh7ckil8wuwqryxmpso_390x400_1x-0.jpg

India is the second entry from the AC Chronicles series and it features Arbaaz Mir, a Khasmiri assassin who is the father of Henry Green in AC Syndicate. It's not a bad title, I personally liked the 2D entries (definitely made me feel like an actual assassin with all of those challenges), the color palette is perfect for the setting...however the game itself is very bland. Arbaaz and the princess are enjoyable in their interaction but the rest of the game is pretty forgettable. 

Mega points for the artstyle though!

No. 14 : Assassin's Creed Chronicles : Russia

apps.61454.63247014866406746.df435824-51e5-4863-bbd3-185623886d0e.22d2a467-f15b-4c5d-8a04-61d2c27ea6d4

The third entry from Chronicles, Russia follows Nikolai Orelov during the Bolshevik revolution in 1918(fuck yeah history). His goal is to save the last surviving Romanov, Anastasia. 

I absolutely loved the russian themes in this game. It really underlined the feelings of a Russia during revolutions with those shades of red and grey. However...Nikolai is very boring, Anastasia is not herself (no spoilers here,it annoyed me) and other than the themes, this game again doesn't do anything interesting. Nikolai might be one of the weakest assassins in the series.

No. 13 : Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry

apps.59747.71137982701644111.2438309a-9559-458f-a588-044f73ce8e79.d1a4df7c-bfb0-438f-882e-7d1636df61a0

Freedom Cry is a stand-alone DLC from AC4 Black Flag who follows Adewale, Edward Kenway's former First Mate. He is working towards being an assassin after wanting to be a part of a greater cause. 

Easily the best thing about this DLC is the story. Man is it a great story, especially in that slave ship section at the end. It really gave me shivers (way better than most AC Stories that's for sure). Adewale himself is a great character. 

The downsides this time is the fact that the DLC is hella short (duh it's a DLC, but don't give me such a compelling character in the first place) and the missions themselves are kinda infuriating. Plus I experienced a number of bugs so...yeah. It might be down on the list but it is NOT a bad entry.

No. 12 : Assassin's Creed Chronicles : China

ti2pjmmx41lu6mhttioz_390x400_1x-0.jpg

The first of the Chronicles series, here you control Shao Jun in an effort to liberate China from Templar occupation. Despite being a 2.5D game, this is more "Assassin" than most entries in the series. Shao Jun really needs to be stealthy and plan her moves since she can die in 2-3 hits. Graphics are really well made, the whole game is like a painting and Shao Jun herself is just like a chinese Assassin would be : few words , much effectiveness. It's a shame that it's just a minor forgettable game, because a proper AC in China would be amazing.

No. 11 : Assassin's Creed Revelations

220px-Assassins_Creed_Revelations_Cover.

Finally getting into the main entries and I kick off with the ending of Ezio's saga, Revelations. Honestly...this game is a mixed bag. On one hand, I absolutely loved Ezio's story ending + Altair's sections. The gameplay was way better than the previous entries too, the Hookblade being one of the best tools out there. Also Suleyman was truly magnificent (yey pun) and Sofia Sartor was the perfect healing for Ezio's heart. Overall most characters were very well written. Yusuf again, a truly funny assassin.

On the other hand...Istanbul looks like crap in comparison with the previous cities in the game. The villains are forgettable. Desmond and Clay look like they would sell coconuts in the market. Lots of useless mechanics (too many bombs, that dreaded tower defence minigame) and MY GOD THE DLC WAS ATROCIOUS. For christ sake Ubisoft, never do that shit again. I do NOT want to impress Warren Vidic EVER AGAIN.

No. 10 : Assassin's Creed Unity

bobbrkkzmqahsgieuhge_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Unity is the direct opposite of Revelations. The main protagonist Arno is an insufferable fool who tries too much to be Ezio (which he fails, resorting to alcohol every time things get wrong). Both templars and assassins have the good idea but then they are fooled by a bunch of Scooby Doo Villains (the Sage whats-his-name might be the worst villain in the series). Poor Elise TRIES SO MUCH but when she's surrounded by idiots she has no chance. The only GOOD character is Pierre Bellec, god bless his heart. Combat is also good, it is actually challenging, bullets finally do kill, you truly have to be an assassin (or abuse smoke bombs).

Also screw the perfect English accents, go full French mode for 10/10 experience. DLC was kinda crap though, didn't like the Franciade and the guillotine gun who is the least sneaky weapon ever made.

However : The city of Paris is BBBBBBBEAAAUTIFUL, it IS A PATCHED GAME(no more horrendous bugs), lots of angry people, almost 1:1 scale of the city , great graphics and hands down THE BEST PARKOUR SYSTEM IN ALL AC GAMES. No "find the rock to climb as slow as possible" mechanic, no "Ancient Spider-man Egyptian" stuff, pure parkour that is still gamey enough to enjoy.

Also fuck all the chests in this city. To hell with them. Chests are a thing of nightmare in this game.

No. 9 : Assassin's Creed

220px-Assassin's_Creed.jpg

The game that started it all with the myth, the legend, the Altair Ibn-La'Ahad. Ok so the game ain't that great mechanically, it's pretty slow and repetitive, you basically need to go to a city -> collect information -> kill target -> repeat for maximum profit. However the story is actually good, the idea of Pieces of Eden was actually pretty scary (before they became a bargain sale McGuffin type of items), cities were pretty well made and Altair was an enjoyable character (one of the best written assassins out there). Still hoping for a remaster with trophies, gotta collect all of them shitty flags again.

Too bad this series meant the end of Prince of Persia :( RIP Prince.

No. 8 : Assassin's Creed III

MlJB2xdSAf1y50ODtdH2QgK_w5pMsYq0p9dAar3Dsbo_390x400_1x-0.jpeg

This was one of the most ambitious AC projects that kinda fell flat in the end. This AC follows Ratohnhaketon (or Connor for Inglais speakers) in the American colonies during the battle of Independence. Connor is by far the most boring protagonist out there, which is kinda understandable since he is a native american with a burned village who is stuck in a war he doesn't belong in. Also the world itself is kinda boring, I never liked how Boston or New York were represented in this game.

On the flip side : The Frontier section is great, hunting is actually fun, the newly added Naval gameplay is one of the best ship fighting gameplays in videogames ever (perfected in AC4) and also one of my favorite characters in the series is here : Haytham Kenway, the father of Connor. Truly a British gentleman with a habit of stabbing people.

Quite the average game, the DLCs were pretty fun though (+ they were quite tough for an AC game). What I hated most about this game...Desmond. Whoever played this game knows what I mean without spoiling anything. Also WHERE IS CHARLES LEE?

No. 7 : Assassin's Creed Origins

apps.29520.63657969076271726.154f5a09-55ab-4b31-bc57-4e0335fab06a.98159a5f-99d5-4db9-89bc-4ae02f971596

Now this will be a weird entry on a weird place. Origins is where the series reinvented itself, this time Ancient Egypt being tackled. Bayek of Siwa is a Medjay (basically ancient police) who is hungry for revenge, aiming to destroy the organization who killed his son. He gets tangled of course in an ancient war with the Order of the Ancients.

I have to say, this is a great game compared to the other entries in the series : Egypt is gorgeous, who ever reconstructed it like that deserves the highest of praises. The combat has been fully revamped and it's way more than just parry-to-win. You have now skill points, skill trees, multiple ways of approaching situations. Bayek himself is a great character and even the DLCs are quite compelling.

However...the game is too big for its own good. My main issue with this game is boredom : I actually got bored of all the stuff that I had to do and traverse in this game. It was a great setting with no soul in my opinion, mainly because Bayek couldn't carry the whole story by himself : there are barely any notable side-characters in this game , with the exception of his wife Aya of Alexandria. Speaking of which, I would have preferred to play as Aya, but because Ubisoft is too scared to actually feature a female protagonist , we had to settle with Bayek. 

(P.S. Regarding female protagonists, Kassandra is the canon main character in AC Odyssey, but on the cover you will mostly see Alexios. Huh go figure).

Also Layla Hassan becomes one of the shittiest characters of all time (more of that in Odyssey).

No. 6 : Assassin's Creed Syndicate 

ejaxlconeyvs1mxz5rv8_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Now we get to the good stuff. These are hard for me to rank, because I kinda enjoyed them all greatly. So I have to go into nitpicking territory.

Syndicate is absolutely great in my opinion. Awesome cast, the twins Jacob and Evie have a great chemistry (Evie way too serious for her own good and Jacob just a buffoon who wants to do gang wars), Henry Green is a surprisingly good side character, the moving train/assassin base was an interesting addition and my god London is absolutely filthy but in a good way. DLC is absolutely great, perhaps better than the main game. I don't know, I really loved it.

What I didn't like...villain is a dumbass(cookie cutter moustache curling asshole), Jacob is sometimes TOO annoying, Evie doesn't get enough screen time (gosh she is just perfect) and the absolutely awesome soundtrack by Austin Wintory is not present enough in the game. Plus I agree that this game feels abit tired, too much AC spoils the mood. Luckily Jack the Ripper DLC saves the day. 

Hint : Do collect all the beer bottles and read their descriptions. They are super fun.

No. 5 : Assassin's Creed IV : Black Flag

vqv03fmtmnvnvlolm6b5_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Ah the swashbuckling assassin. Black Flag is without a doubt one of the greatest entry in the series. Not too much of an Assassin game, but man being a pirate ROCKS in this game. 

Let's cut to the chase : Naval combat is absolutely amazing. That's the bread and butter of the game. Your Jackdaw is the scourge of the seas, nobody can stay between you and your prize.

The regular combat is also great, Edward Kenway our dear protagonist being able to dual wield swords , carry 4 pistols and go pirouette through the enemies.

The story...eh, kinda lame truth be told. Yeah the pirates are great but only at the end Edward sees the errors of his ways (more like he was a greedy idiot) and goes assassin. Villain is some spanish Villanueva de whatever Madrid, nobody cares and the present story starts to become shitty with this entry. Also expected more from the rich Mayan environment.

Still you get to fight pirate ships! Yarr.

No. 4 : Assassin's Creed II

Assassins_Creed_2_Box_Art.JPG

No, I do not believe that AC2 is the best Assassin's Creed game gifted on God's Earth. Yes, I believe that Ezio is the best assassin that ever graced the beautiful environment of the game world.

AC2 is a different beast altogether. Now playing as Ezio Auditore da Firenze, a Florentine womanizer that is forced to mature during the Reinassance era, this game is awesome no doubt. You get many awesome cities like Florence, Tuscany, Venice and...whatever Forli wants to be, Ezio is truly a great character, there's tons of quality of life improvements (AERIAL ASSASSINATIONS AND LEDGE ASSASSINATIONS THAT WEREN'T PRESENT IN AC1 THANK GOD FOR THAT), an actual GOOD story for once and the best side character ever : Leonardo Da Vinci. That dude ROCKS! Really, this game is super good.

Bad part...game is old. Ezio jumps like a frog most of the time and...yeah it didn't age THAT well. Still I really recommend this game.

No. 3 : Assassin's Creed Rogue

5a53843429e123ee466792bb.jpg?sw=341&sh=450&sm=fit

Now why is this entry so huge on the list? Because I finally get to see a relatable side of the Templars.

Shay is a former assassin that gets disillusioned with the ways of the Brotherhood and gets to the side of the enemies. What I loved about the game is that the notion of "Assassins are good Templars are bad" is kinda thrown out the window. Not all templars are as shitty as Rodrigo Borgia and not all assassins are as virtuous as Ezio or Altair. Basically Rogue covers the grey area of the conflict. Shay really does some sensible choices in this game and I cannot condemn him for it, Haytham again proves himself to be a great character and the whole setting + North Atlantic is way more compelling. Not many games cover the 7 years war between England and France, colonial edition.

Plus, the naval combat is way better than in AC 4. Too bad Shay delivers his one-liner "I make my own luck" abit too often. Otherwise, I love this game.

No. 2 : Assassin's Creed Odyssey 

220px-ACOdysseyCoverArt.png

Told ya that Alexios is on the cover of the game! Anyway, Odyssey is kinda the Magnum Opus of the series. Classical Greece is 10/10 in terms of representation. Story has been improved to heavens and back. Multiple dialogue choices. Alexios/Kassandra are absolutely AMAZING , both in terms of writing and voice acting. Side characters - oh god where can I even start? Sokrates, Alkibiades, Herodotos, BARNABAS THE GOD OF THE SEAS Poseidon move aside Barnabas is the greatest now. Stupid mythological beasts. Basically Ubisoft went bonkers with this game. 

Assassins who? Who gives a shit let's climb on Zeus' balls while yelling Malaka and listening to those great Greek tunes. Mmmm...Greece. Honestly it's the entry where Assassins and Templars are kinda tossed aside but I didn't mind AT ALL!

Now for the meh parts... DLCs. Great DLCs, they start so good, god I loved them (especially Elysium) , but through the middle the writers rushed too much and kinda spoiled the story. Not in a bad way, but I still didn't like the pacing. Darius however is the best side-character in all the DLCs, he can rival the assassins from the other entries. Man, Darius is the MVP.

And now for the bad parts... Layla Hassan, the present time protagonist, should be purged and forgotten. She is officially worse than Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem Forever for me. She is the worst representation of a female protagonist ever. Honestly who is the idiot that wrote her? Because she is INSUFFERABLE. She is the sole reason why Odyssey ain't nr. 1 for me. Shame, I really wanted to dethrone Nr 1 but Layla you are at fault here!

No. 1 : Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Assassins_Creed_brotherhood_cover.jpg

Ah...still the best. Brotherhood is where Ezio finally becomes the mature leader of the Assassins all while liberating Rome. The glorious Rome. For me, Brotherhood is utter perfection in terms of Assassin's Creed (and I mean story and gameplay, not platinum and completion). Best written characters, best twists of action, Da Vinci's Machineries are still one of the best sidequests there, Cristina's memories still break my heart even to this day and Ezio is 15/10 here.

I really can't find any fault to AC Brotherhood. Yeah, even the 100% synchronization targets are good for me. Game is super easy without those constraints. Give me a CHALLENGE!

The best reason why I consider AC Brotherhood to be so good...I've been to Rome, Italy. Yeah, actual Rome. I could find my way around the city just by knowing the map from Brotherhood (I played this damn game over 10 times, give me a break). I knew the placement of the ancient buildings in relation to the Colosseum (damn thing is huge) and especially Vatican and Castel Sant' Angelo. Even the flag is there. The representation of actual Rome in the game was so good that after my trip to Rome I went "Fuck, I really need to platinum all the games in the series".

Gotta say, thank you past Ubisoft for this game. It is one of the best games I have ever played.

So yeah, this is my list regarding the games. Gotta say I loved them (ok maybe not Liberation) and I can't wait to get my hands on Valhalla. Jesper Kyd and Wardruna are doing the soundtrack there, so I am having my hopes up.

Until then...back to work!

• Like 3

Looking to where AC: Brotherhood and AC 4 are sitting....looks about right to me. I thought AC 2 was amazing back when I played it on PS3, then they released AC: Brotherhood, which was just a strait improvement from AC 2. Revelations was kind of a let down for that trilogy. I pointed out AC 4 because for some reason I actually really enjoyed that one. They spiced up the AC series by adding naval battles and I am a fan of being a pirate. It also might have been after AC 3, which wasn't that great to me and I was about to let the series go, but decided to try it once more with AC 4 and was surprised that it was better than the last.

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but seeing where you ranked it makes we want to play it, as its sitting on my shelf and the DLC is purchased. I usually shoot for one AC game a year and I already did Syndicate this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Looking to where AC: Brotherhood and AC 4 are sitting....looks about right to me. I thought AC 2 was amazing back when I played it on PS3, then they released AC: Brotherhood, which was just a strait improvement from AC 2. Revelations was kind of a let down for that trilogy. I pointed out AC 4 because for some reason I actually really enjoyed that one. They spiced up the AC series by adding naval battles and I am a fan of being a pirate. It also might have been after AC 3, which wasn't that great to me and I was about to let the series go, but decided to try it once more with AC 4 and was surprised that it was better than the last.

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but seeing where you ranked it makes we want to play it, as its sitting on my shelf and the DLC is purchased. I usually shoot for one AC game a year and I already did Syndicate this year.

Honestly in my ranking I went purely for the fun factor, that's why Odyssey is so high. Do expect to put a great amount of time into it however, since it's the biggest AC so far.

Also AC4 is pure badassery. I just loved the themes of Rogue more, since I kinda got tired of goody two shoes assassins.

5 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

You know, I think I'm going to make a thread like this for my Resident Evil experiences while I wait for my meds to kick in so I can play my next run of RE2 without pain. Thanks for the idea and motivation!

Go for it! It's a great way to go wild about games you like (or dislike , if you get stinkers by mistake xD )

Also thanks as well for the appreciation :P 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1