I have questions

So im going to start MHW again on this profile to prepare for Iceborne. I do have some questions though!

If I own the digital version of MHW can I buy the iceborn disk and play it? A little confused on what needs to be owned and done before being able to play this one!

This might be a dumb question but I am assuming character progression will carry right on over to this?

Also an unrelated question but what weapon/class is overall the most balanced and OP? I dont want the “each character is great depending on how you use them” answer. I want someone to tell me to use a specific class because they are fooking OP. I believe the first time around I used the longsword or whatever its called. 

Edited by Mythologuy

Are you talking about the steelbook version of Iceborne? It comes with download codes, not a physical disc. 

Character progression will carry over.

I would say the gunlance is the most balanced. Seems to have a good blend of offensive and defensive capabilities. In terms of most OP, that'd probably be the heavy bow gun.

• Like 1

Hi! if you already own the digital version of MHW(like me) you should buy the digital version of MHW ICEBORNE. Is a DLC content/Expansion, so I think you only should go for the complete version/disk if you dont own MHW already.

Acoording to developer team, you need to finish MHW main story first, and then you could play this new story content(Iceborne). All your progress will carry on(armors, weapons, awards on guild card), but like in other games on the saga, hunter rank should be reset(there will be a new rank “master rank”). 

About the most op weapon question, Im long sword main since MH3, its a very balanced and powerfull weapon(the best one that complement my playstyle). But there are others weapons that speed runners preffer, like bow guns or charged axe.

Any physical copy of Iceborne will also include the base game. If you already have a physical or digital copy of MHW your best option is to get the digital DLC for Iceborne as it is the cheapest.

As for weapon balance, please keep in mind that this is likely to change with Iceborne. In the current state of the game it’s a bit complicated, so please be patient with me here:

If you’re looking for the weapon with the highest damage output and fastest kill times in the hands of a genuinely experienced/knowledgeable player, the Greatsword is what you’re looking for. 

If you want damage output almost comparable to a very good Greatsword player with much less effort it’s the Heavy Bowgun. Specifically, the Taroth Assault Glutton. This is less a case of HBGs being broken in general than one of this specific HBG being broken. As it’s actually a rather difficult weapon to obtain you may want to keep that in mind. 

It is my personal opinion that the Lance is the best weapon for inexperienced players to clear difficult quests, but i’ve used the Lance for like 400 hours so i’m likely biased here. Most people would probably just tell you to use the Longsword.

Most balanced weapon is probably Sword and Shield.

• Like 1

So I already own MHW. If I get Iceborne, will it be a separate entry on my trophy list? I assume it will, because it has its own platinum. But at the same time, it's still DLC that will be added on to the main game. Will it appear under my main MHW trophies but with its own plat?

20 minutes ago, MythRaider1994 said:

So I already own MHW. If I get Iceborne, will it be a separate entry on my trophy list? I assume it will, because it has its own platinum. But at the same time, it's still DLC that will be added on to the main game. Will it appear under my main MHW trophies but with its own plat?

It should appear as a separate trophy list. This has happened a couple times in the past where a DLC counts as a "Standalone" and gets it's own trophy list with it's own plat. "Infamous: First Light" and "Dishonored: Death of the Outsider" both behave in this way, and I bet Iceborne will too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MythRaider1994 said:

Will it appear under my main MHW trophies but with its own plat?

DLCs cannot have plat trophies. It's still possible that Iceborn might receive both a standalone and a DLC (attached to the main game) lists. Games like Shovel Knight is a good example.

if that's the case tho, a DLC list would have far less trophies than a standalone list because of the "Points per DLC" restriction.

Edited by Sydoki
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KainDMD said:

I saw Dante's sword, the Alastor is in this game as some kind of timed event stuff. What kind of weapon is that, I mean what can it do and is it good? It should be good I believe

It’s alright. It’s a charge blade that mostly does lightning damage. Obviously struggles against monsters that resist lightning and there’s a Kulve Taroth weapon that really does the exact same thing but better. You can absolutely make it work, even in the endgame, but i wouldn’t call it a great choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

I have a little question after all the answers to this one, hope that someone will help :)

Now that we know Monster Hunter Iceborne will have it's own platinium, do you think it will still be possible to unlock trophies of Monster Hunter World after the transfer ? My point is that I still don't have all the crowns in MHW and a lot of people tell me "Just wait for Iceborne, you could farm your last crowns with a better stuff !" but I'm conviced that after the transfer, you'll be only linked to Iceborne, and the trophies of MHW will still be unlockable launching MHW, with the state of your save before the transfer. 

Any though on that ? Hope I explained it clearly ?

Happy hunting everyone !

Edited by HaoFireSpirit

15 minutes ago, HaoFireSpirit said:

Hi everyone !

I have a little question after all the answers to this one, hope that someone will help :)

Now that we know Monster Hunter Iceborne will have it's own platinium, do you think it will still be possible to unlock trophies of Monster Hunter World after the transfer ? My point is that I still don't have all the crowns in MHW and a lot of people tell me "Just wait for Iceborne, you could farm your last crowns with a better stuff !" but I'm conviced that after the transfer, you'll be only linked to Iceborne, and the trophies of MHW will still be unlockable launching MHW, with the state of your save before the transfer. 

Any though on that ? Hope I explained it clearly 1f601.png

Happy hunting everyone !

The separate trophy list is misleading some I think, Iceborne is an expansion, not a stand alone, there is no transfer.   You will still be able to do everything on the World trophy list.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auto-Tomato said:

The separate trophy list is misleading some I think, Iceborne is an expansion, not a stand alone, there is no transfer.   You will still be able to do everything on the World trophy list.   

Thanks for your reply !

I was confused by the fact that a lot of people think that the Guild Rank will probably be reset, since some trophies are linked to Guild Rank. Also, the official website write about a "save transfer". Quote :

"

You will be able to transfer your existing save file 
for Monster Hunter: World into Iceborne.

"

So that's some good news for me, because I'm not patient enough for crown farming but still want the platinum ? !

Thanks again ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaoFireSpirit said:

Thanks for your reply !

I was confused by the fact that a lot of people think that the Guild Rank will probably be reset, since some trophies are linked to Guild Rank. Also, the official website write about a "save transfer". Quote :

"

"

So that's some good news for me, because I'm not patient enough for crown farming but still want the platinum 1f606.png !

Thanks again ;)

The rank won’t reset, there is an entire new rank system in Iceborne, thus it will be “reset”.

The save transfer will work the same as when you make a New Game+, it will create data from your existing save. Actually, I think you have to beat the base game campaign to start Iceborne.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HaoFireSpirit said:

Thanks for your reply !

"

"

So that's some good news for me, because I'm not patient enough for crown farming but still want the platinum 1f606.png !

Thanks again ;)

@BlackTorito is correct, there is a new Master Rank system but you'll still be able to earn HR points too seeing as yes, you need to get to HR 16 and finish the base story before you can start Iceborne.   Think of IB as just an update, like Behemoth or Leshen, except on a massive scale, it's just adding content to the base game.

Capcom are a little guilty of being ambiguous or downright unclear in their text at times, 'transfer' is probably poorly worded, just means you will carry on with your current character/s.

I enjoyed doing the crowns but I got tired of it too on occasion, there's plenty sizing vids on YT, they do help but it is still a grind.

Good luck. 

16 hours ago, Auto-Tomato said:

@BlackTorito is correct, there is a new Master Rank system but you'll still be able to earn HR points too seeing as yes, you need to get to HR 16 and finish the base story before you can start Iceborne.   Think of IB as just an update, like Behemoth or Leshen, except on a massive scale, it's just adding content to the base game.

Capcom are a little guilty of being ambiguous or downright unclear in their text at times, 'transfer' is probably poorly worded, just means you will carry on with your current character/s.

I enjoyed doing the crowns but I got tired of it too on occasion, there's plenty sizing vids on YT, they do help but it is still a grind.

Good luck. 

Thank to all of you who answered ? !

I was forcing myself to get all the crowns (6 left) in the fear of not beeing able to get them before Iceborne release ?

Now I can procrastinate on it a little more \o

Happy hunting everyone, hope to cross your path on Iceborne \o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZankaiPowaa said:

So you can basically work on two plats in the same game? Let's say I play Iceborne and I hunt large monsters specific to the DLC, I could get the 'Hunt 500 large monsters' from the trophy list of the base game?

If that is the case, that's very cool!!

No, Iceborne quests are different, the game separates them on Master Rank and Low/High Rank.

To earn trophies in Iceborne you need to play on the Master Rank quests.

The only trophy tied to both is helping 10 Low/High rank hunters on their quests as a Master rank hunter.