Not So Bad - Struggling!

sinister19

Ok so this appears to be the only trophy I am (and will continue) to struggle with. I understand its cumulative and have also checked youtube vids for the speed runs but the vids always appear to have that person starting off with weapons. As you can't save and I die (alot) i'm always starting off with a pistol against a constant barrage of respawns and the speedrun just doesn't seem that possible.

Does anyone have any pointers that I may be missing here? I am determined to do this for the plat but am struggling to find a way through them at the moment. Only at E1 C5....

Edited by sinister19
  • Like 1

The other thing you can consider is running the previous level (to the one you are stuck on) again and aim to gather what weapons, ammo and armour you can - in order to make the level you are currently struggling with easier.

Edited by BOOTP
  • Like 2

I'm just going to link my post from the big thread. Basically if you're solo you can try to suicide through the level as you get unlimited spawns. Keys are kept between deaths. This makes some levels much more forgiving (e.g. E3M7) as you can just deathwarp around!

On a side note, I'm not going to approach Doom II anytime soon as I don't have the time. Congrats to the Plat achievers for the second game though.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a couple questions for this trophy.

1- Can you use a secret exit to complete a level? Or in order to complete the level do you have to take the normal exit?

2- Are secret levels required or just the m1-m8 for each episode? It'll be nice just having to complete 24 levels total as opposed to 27. 

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I quitted this final trophy after passing E1M3 nightmare in co-op by myself without any help (which was crazy). I realized how frustrating it was going to be to do all 3 episodes like that. But I can leave you 3 golden tips to get through it, if anyone is interested. First, use this youtube walkthrough where the guy (a pro at Doom, obviously) plays through all levels in nightmare starting with a pistol and finding all the useful hidden secrets along the way:

. That helps a lot. Second, I strongly recommend making a new save in the easiest difficulty and replaying each level 2 or 3 times before you go for that level in the nightmare co-op mode. You should already know how to beat the level fast and where all the keys and doors are before you go for it in nightmare. Perhaps, another tip is restarting the level if you don't manage to do it fast, like the pro guy in the youtube video, because the constant respawning of all the monsters truly makes everything more and more difficult every 30 seconds that go by. So, the idea is definitely passing the nightmare levels as fast as possible. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I’m currently working on a series of videos for each episode on nightmare(done solo) with the latest patch that makes nightmare harder.

I see a lot of ppl claim episode 1 is the hardest part “coop” nightmare, mostly due to level 6.

So here’s a sneak peak of my project and a little helpful strat for clearing it by yourself.

Gonna send the vids to the original guide writer of Doom 1 and May write a full guide for Doom 2 if nobody is working on it atm.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1st episode done in nightmare(lastest patch) for anyone that needs a visual guide.

new link with title change, and other things.

You obviously can die(unlike in my run) but doing the route I run can make said level much more manageable.

Stay tune for ep2/3 later.?

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

• 2 weeks later...

This trophy is pissing me off. I can stand the double speed and attack speed of enemies, their respawing, their numbers, but what I hate is that they like to stand behind doors and narrow corridors making a run to switches/keys almost a certain death most of the times. The pinky and spectre enemies are the worst of them all. If at least they gave the players the ability to respawn where they died it wouldn't be that much of a pain.

I still have 15 maps to go, fortunately the boss levels are completed, they weren't that bad except for Phobos Anomaly. Why did they release an (unnecessary) update nobody asked for? They should have added a Nightmare Plus difficulty (like Ultra Violence Plus) instead of screwing up Nightmare difficulty. Give me wider corridors and I wouldn't be that mad.

Edited by Deceptrox

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely NOT an easy trophy. I bought this PS4 version right when it came out which meant I could actually pause the game in Nightmare Co-Op with the framerate locked at 30 FPS.

As I can imagine just like with DOOM 2, this is significantly harder with later patches. But I can say from experience that DOOM 2 is significantly more difficult to platinum than DOOM 1. Both great games that are legendary, but these two trophies respectively suck the enjoyment out of them.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:27 AM, Deceptrox said:

This trophy is pissing me off. I can stand the double speed and attack speed of enemies, their respawing, their numbers, but what I hate is that they like to stand behind doors and narrow corridors making a run to switches/keys almost a certain death most of the times. The pinky and spectre enemies are the worst of them all. If at least they gave the players the ability to respawn where they died it wouldn't be that much of a pain.

I still have 15 maps to go, fortunately the boss levels are completed, they weren't that bad except for Phobos Anomaly. Why did they release an (unnecessary) update nobody asked for? They should have added a Nightmare Plus difficulty (like Ultra Violence Plus) instead of screwing up Nightmare difficulty. Give me wider corridors and I wouldn't be that mad.

I know the pain. DOOM 2 is literally my white whale in trophy hunting. 10 out of 10 in difficulty. Probably 20 - 30 hours or more just bashing your head into the wall until RNG decides you will pass.

Infuriates me to no end.

• Like 1

I was trying for an hour just to get on that tiny ledge in E1M4, it's just ridiculous.. I haven't even get there once. Talking about normal path through that tight corridor full of imps is just waste of time, too many of them inside to get through and hit the switch near the yellow door. Update 1.09

Edited by MajloHS93
Update

Episode 2

And episode 3

Both done on Nightmare with latest patch and no deaths.

Hope these strat and routes give you the edge y’all need to earn that Doom 1 plat.

Ill be working on the Doom 2 vids seem rules and all.

Peace for now fellow trophy addicts.✌?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Thanks for posting these videos!  Doom and Doom 2 are on my radar to try and platinum.  Everyone says they are very tough so I’m looking forward to the challenge.

to be honest I feel that it's a bit more challenging and harder thing than "flatout" trophy from Dirt Rally 2.0 Colin McRae DLC. I know it's 2 different genres but here in Doom on nightmare coop things are totally insane, need a lot of luck

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MajloHS93 said:

to be honest I feel that it's a bit more challenging and harder thing than "flatout" trophy from Dirt Rally 2.0 Colin McRae DLC. I know it's 2 different genres but here in Doom on nightmare coop things are totally insane, need a lot of luck

I recently did the Dishonored 1 DLC Trials which I understand is very luck based and notoriously difficult, so I feel if I could tackle those just about any trophy is on the table.

• Like 1

Ok, so can someone explain how does coop works? I saw on one of the movies above, that even when player 2 was dead, player 1 was respawning all the time at the beginning of the level after he died. It works like that all the time on all levels? Because if yes, it gives you some hope for finishing it. How exactly does it work? And it works the same in DOOM 2?

Also, can you make quick saves during coop gameplay? I assume you can't, but won't hurt asking. 

15 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

Ok, so can someone explain how does coop works? I saw on one of the movies above, that even when player 2 was dead, player 1 was respawning all the time at the beginning of the level after he died. It works like that all the time on all levels? Because if yes, it gives you some hope for finishing it. How exactly does it work? And it works the same in DOOM 2?

Also, can you make quick saves during coop gameplay? I assume you can't, but won't hurt asking. 

There's no option to save the game during coop playthrough. You can start it with 2 gamepads and play it solo. When you die you will start right from the beginning of the stage with just a pistol, so if you pick up some rocket launcher or any other weapons on your way and die after it that weapons will be no longer in your inventory (at least if you will pick them up again). Only the red, yellow and blue key cards stays up with you if you pick them up and die, as well with some of the door opening switches.

Or you can even play with someone through share play but it depends on good connection.

• Like 1