Helping a friend pick his first Final Fantasy.

KaiserVendrix

Final Fantasy X or XV?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Final Fantasy X or XV?

• Final Fantasy X
    • Final Fantasy XV

Okay! I recently made a new friend and we get on like a house on fire. Until we got onto the topic of what his first Final Fantasy should be. The man is refusing to play VII, VIII and IX because they are slightly out of date. I can understand where he's coming from to a degree because it's not for everyone but still limiting i'd say. So i suggested X, it's my Favourite  game of all time and I feel it was the last "good" Final Fantasy out there. I enjoyed XIII but I feel X would give him the best experience of how a Final Fantasy is while it's still limiting what he wants to play.

The man said no to X based on some factors. First one that annoyed me is that it looks "old" and he needs something nice visual style now I think X has aged great and with it's HD Remaster it look great now as it did back then. Another is it's not "stylish" I think he's comparing it to XV a bit here and that very unfair, since the two was made at very different times and saying the whole turn based combat is stale.

He's leaning towards for the train wreck that is XV because it's the newest one and it looks "pretty" and the combat looks more fluid, I dunno about everyone but I just held circle the whole time and had zero problems. I couldn't stand the characters, Noctis is the worst main character while I only slightly cared about one or two of the rest. Plot made no sense and I can't help hate it because of the way it was given to us in the first place.

Anyway, I've put up a poll for every Final Fantasy fan out there to give me some insight on the matter,feel free to give your opinions also. Just know this I'm not hating on any XV fans out there but I'm just saying it's not the best game to start you off on game series that's all. :awesome:

Edited by KaiserVendrix

Hmm, I say go with either FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10 or FF12. Those games were great during the PS1 and PS2 era. Plus, you can get them for PS4 with FF8 Remaster coming soon to PS4 and other consoles. If your friend has either a PS4 or Switch, then I say go for the FFs I mentioned.

That's an interesting question.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Final Fantasy isn't really much of a series after 6.  If you somehow played them without the title screen I rather doubt you would be able to pick up that 7, 13, and 15 were part of the same series.  So, really, I think you can look at the games in isolation.  

That said: a lot of people seem to enjoy the 12 remaster and that's new-ish.  13 isn't actually bad, it's just overly long, boring in places, and it's male leads are...shall we say a little lacking?  

TL;DR: if 10 is out go with 13 or 12

I don't see a poll yet, but I'd say Final Fantasy X is the best to start with. It was my first one, and it made me go back and play FF7, 8, 9, 3, 4, and tactics which were all "old" at that point. Final Fantasy XII doesn't have the best story, but I think that one would appeal to a casual fan more with it's open world concept and freedom to do as you please. The XIII series is okay, but I think they are lower on the totem pole for a FF noob. Story is kind of out there, and the gameplay isn't the best.

Granted, my favorites are X, IX, and VII, but I get why people would be hesitant towards IX and especially VII with it's blocky graphics. I'd also agree with your assessment of XV. It's pretty but that's it. Story was meh and gameplay was meh since they took the strategy out of FF. I breezed through the game using the sword and warping through everyone. I also broke the game early being on level 61 after the second chapter.

If he doesn't play games for their stoy but for the graphics, are FF games really games that would be fun for him? Well, maybe XV would be, but that kind of argument reminds me of a guy who said that in movie "eye candy" is important, not story, because movies are "a visual medium".

I'd start at least at VII and then go upwards.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---

16 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

If he doesn't play games for their stoy but for the graphics, are FF games really games that would be fun for him? Well, maybe XV would be, but that kind of argument reminds me of a guy who said that in movie "eye candy" is important, not story, because movies are "a visual medium".

I'd start at least at VII and then go upwards.

You'd miss some gems like FF4, FF5 and FF6... :P And Chrono Trigger and the like. 

19 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

If he doesn't play games for their stoy but for the graphics, are FF games really games that would be fun for him?

I made a deal with him, he has to play a game in the series. I don't care what, as long as he knows he's wrong when it comes to games not being pretty enough not to play. 

I have a long history with Final Fantasy.. For years it was the only franchise I really played. 

That being said, I think FFXV is both a bad Final Fantasy and a bad action RPG. I agree with the above comments that FFVII or IX are a better first game, but FFX is fantastic as well, so I voted for that one :)

FFXV is the least FF-like FF game there, so if your friend prefers a more Western style RPG, then FFXV might be a good one to go for. But that may mean that he may not be interested any of the other FFs, as FFXV is kind of the black sheep in among FF games, with how different it is in terms of the more open world, action battles, transport via a car, DLC overload, all male cast party and no Moogles. 

As a first, if FFX's turn based battles are the main off putting factor, how about FF12 The Zodiac Age? It's battles are more action, but still being FF to the core with the good old job system, Moogles and chocobos, classic summons, tough bosses, lots of exploration and a solid albeit fairly complex story.

FFXIII wouldn't be a bad start, although maybe not as a first FF game as it is fairly tough with the way the battle system is, needing very specific strategies to win as opposed to just leveling up and powering through. 

Don't forget there is also FF Type 0, which is action based. I played it on PSP and didn't really like it, i found it quite difficult at some parts but it's fairly short and has good visuals if he doesn't play for story. 

• Like 1

Ignore his restrictions and start with VI, then go to IX, then VII, then you can go to X. Then Tactics if you're feeling like he's up for that challenge. Once he's finished Tactics, give him XII, then the XIII trilogy.

At this point you won't be friends any more, but hopefully he'll have moved past the whole "old" and "stylish" comments and he'll be a better person in the long run for it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LucianaRosethorn said:

I made a deal with him, he has to play a game in the series. I don't care what, as long as he knows he's wrong when it comes to games not being pretty enough not to play. 

My guess is that both sides are going to be disappointed. He'll try it for half an hour and then say the game sucks, and you (two?) will be bummed because he didn't try to get into it. If I am wrong, good for you, but I have become weary of making suggestions because they don't lead to reacrtions I had hoped for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

My guess is that both sides are going to be disappointed. He'll try it for half an hour and then say the game sucks, and you (two?) will be bummed because he didn't try to get into it. If I am wrong, good for you, but I have become weary of making suggestions because they don't lead to reacrtions I had hoped for.

I don't mind if he doesn't like the game, I just want him to try a Final Fantasy game. Plus he loves to get 100% so he would probably power through it, if that means hearing him suffer, I will have done my job. :awesome:

• Like 1

It highly depends whether or not he can enjoy dated games.

X is good, but there's no nostalgia for him so it's harder to get past the dated graphics and dated gameplay mechanics. This is even more true for anything before X. And XII is not a good one to start with imo.

Choosing between XIII trilogy or XV i'd say XV. XV is just one game which is way easier to get into that XIII storywise. It looks gorgeous and plays quite fun. 

3 hours ago, KaiserVendrix said:

Anyway, I've put up a poll for every Final Fantasy fan out there to give me some insight on the matter,feel free to give your opinions also. Just know this I'm not hating on any XV fans out there but I'm just saying it's not the best game to start you off on game series that's all. :awesome:

I really liked both X and XV but they are quite different games in terms of overall experience and tone. Is there a way to help your friend try both X and XV out and make a decision based on that? I reckon 3 hours of both and he would have a good idea what he is in for.

I was really surprised with XII and loved the design of the Judges. Really interesting world too :)

Edited by Crispy_Oglop