What’s the game character that has been with you for longer?

Carol

1 hour ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

ntwiypzkfhfy.png

Growing up, if Sonic's name/face was plastered on it, I wanted it. Seriously, the Archie comics, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, SatAM, cheapo mini pinball tables, plastic banks, you name it.

My problem is Sonic Team has butchered the legacy of the Sonic franchise. They didn’t learn their lesson from Sonic 2006, one of the worst games I played in my life. This is coming from a huge Sonic fan who rented the Archie Sonic comics at the library and rented VHS tapes of AoSTH. 

The Sonic movie from what I’ve seen is a complete abomination.

The writing in Sonic SatAM, Archie and even AoSTH is far superior to anything Sonic Team has put out story wise.

The fanbase is very divided and argues over differences. I spend my time mostly reading Sonic fandom, because that is far better than what SEGA has done these past couple years. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

For me it's gotta be Crash or Spyro. I was pretty young when I first played these two games. While Crash really has no character traits (he never speaks and runs from the beginning of a level to the end), I really resonate with him. Spyro was the first game I ever finished completely. I really enjoyed the aspect of a 'kid' saving the day for the adults when I was a child. Spyro was sarcastic but was willing to help out.

The remasters over the last few years have really awoken the small child in me again. I wasn't really enjoying gaming as much as wanted too and The Crash Trilogy really brought me back to what I loved about gaming when I was kid. 

CTR will forever be in my top 3 games of all time. 

• Like 2

It's not that longevity connection I have with a character connection although Lara Croft being at the top of my list that is but rather the character I want to talk to the most is Adam Jensen from Deus Ex because he has excellent persuasive skills that are uncontested that can put anyone in their place and inspire anyone to their fullest. I have too many problems in my mind right now and I could definitely use a guy like him. If only he actually existed :(

• Like 1

It'd be unreasonable for me to list Jak, so this one goes to either Sonic, Mario, or Pokemon. Considering my relationship with Mario has gradually decreased starting from the Wii generation, I actually think this is a tie between Sonic the Hedgehog (primarily the modern iteration) and Pokemon.

• Like 1

I remember being 4 years old playing Mario on the original Gameboy asking my dad and brother help on levels so he's probably #1 as to a character that's been with me all my life.

Sonic is the same way, but not as much as Mario since I haven't really played a new Sonic game for a while (Sonic Adventure 2?). Granted, I play at least 1 of the old classics a year so I at least still have fun with my childhood.

Pokemon is another huge one. I started playing it when I was 6 and haven't stopped. Particularly Squirtle and Blastoise since he was always my go-to. I love Pokemon and even as a 26 year old, I would tell anyone that I still play these games whether it's on my phone or 3DS.

Lastly, Link has been there for a long time for me too. I always play LoZ games since I was six, yet I've beaten so few of them. Regardless, I love the series for it's open world feel and clever dungeons.

Honorable mention would go to Fox McCloud. Mostly because I played Star Fox 64 a lot growing up and can still quote the game like a champion!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Formatting
  • Like 2

Kratos, for sure. God of War on PS2 was the first game that I followed before it came out, reading everything I could find about it. On top of that, I was a scaredy cat kid, even though I was in middle school when the first God of War came out, and I would imagine Kratos fighting off my nightmares as I fell asleep. I still have a certain affinity for that muscle-bound God killer.

Edited by Yen-Pop
  • Like 1

174440.png

Neptune from the Neptunia series has been with me consistently for the longest time. I think it's been about 5 years. I used to think she was kinda funny but now I just want to punch her in her dumb face.

latest?cb=20100323054855

Garrus Vakarian from the Mass Effect trilogy. I always picked him to go on missions with me. I may have a slight crush on him too.

• Like 1

Doom Guy and B.J. Blazkowicz from Doom and Wolfenstein way back on PC.

It's sad to think B.J. could be gone now.

As for Doom Guy being impervious to all sorts of punishment he should be around for some time.

Edited by reiner-
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Lastly, Link has been there for a long time for me too. I always play LoZ games since I was six, yet I've beaten so few of them. Regardless, I love the series for it's open world feel and clever dungeons.

Legend of Zelda games have always required the player to solve puzzles.

I did Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and I remember when I spent hours getting stuck on a certain puzzle at The Water Temple, or figuring out how to go back to child Link because a certain dungeon required that I turn into a kid again. I died countless times to the bosses, particularly the Spider in the Forest as child Link. The Forest Temple gave me some trouble.

Good times.

Eventually I finally made it to Ganondorf after having to save my friends using a Light Arrow. Then there was the iconic bit running down a collapsing castle, fighting giant skeletons and making it out alive with Zelda only to find Ganon had emerged. One of the best moments in all of gaming.

I had very limited experience with Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but Ocarina of Time was the first game that really made me appreciate the Zelda franchise, and appreciate what Nintendo did to the video game industry.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

I actually have two characters for completely different situations xD 

The first one that has "accompanied" me for every magical adventure , every temple , every slashy game with cool ass music is the Prince from Prince of Persia.

220px-Sands_of_time_cover.jpg(can't find any better image where the Prince doesn't look like a doofuss)

Played all iterations of Prince of Persia game (yes even the atrocious 3D one). It's always a joy to play a Prince of Persia game, they feel ... free (poor wording but that's the feeling). 

It has it all : Character development - the prince is an imprisoned fella/brash youngster that messes up with the sands / vagabond who messes up with gods. Freedom of movement. Killer soundtrack/themes to associate with his personality. Compared to most existent characters in videogames, I feel that he is complete as a character no matter the iteration. Plus I don't know I love the freedom feeling when playing as him. Too bad assassin's creed series buried the PoP franchise :(

The second one is quite the opposite of the Prince, more down-to-earth and grim , I doubt many have heard of him , but since this topic is on "Other Platforms"topic I guess this also goes. It's the Nameless Hero from the Gothic series (on PC )

1875961-bezimienny2.png

Just as the picture implies, he's just some average Joe stuck into a war between men, orcs and gods . And trust me when I say average Joe I MEAN IT. If you think Soulsborne series are hard you should try a Gothic game xD Basically this fella ,so unimportant that not even his name is  ever mentioned ( that's the premise of the game in the first place) is a prisoner thrown into a mining colony with nothing but pants on him. You are so weak even the stupidest mutant chicken can destroy you in 2 hits. You have to use your wits and climb the evolution ladder in the colony to be abit competent and not die from the first treebranch blow.

Why do I choose this character? Because in every RPG game where I had any issues passing a certain point (see Soulsborne games) I started to think in Gothic terms : Search for weakness, unconventional methods, bribe if you have to,get some friends, get THE CORRECT FRIENDS, rethink everything. Gothic can basically raport to real life situations where you have to learn and adapt in order to not get mauled by the first shady merchant on the street. 

So yes, these 2 chars are my " role models" and my eternal companions in the gaming world. Not the most conventional of choices but they never let me down :D  .

• Like 1