The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!   

520 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

• 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Looks very good. Well done. I would organize the colors differently, similar to Diablo.

Legend  0%-1%

Ultra  1,01%-5%

Efford  5,01%-50%

Ease  50,01%-100%

Actually, don't most games have Orange colored gear be the best one? It's usually White > Green > Blue > Purple > Orange

Not that it really matters much.

Just now, ThatMuttGuy said:

Actually, don't most games have Orange colored gear be the best one? It's usually White > Green > Blue > Purple > Orange

imo it matters (a bit at least), because so many people are trained to see those rarities exactly in that color / order. never change a running system I guess

4 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

True, you just forgot yellow. Its only four rarities and I combine yellow and orange because they look to similar and purple is good to stay on top. "Ease" looks strange with yellow... like a gold ribbon. Off course it doesn't matter much.

3 hours ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

True, you just forgot yellow. Its only four rarities and I combine yellow and orange because they look to similar and purple is good to stay on top. "Ease" looks strange with yellow... like a gold ribbon. Off course it doesn't matter much.

I decided to do Ribbon of Ease yellow as its the same colour as Common rarity that it represents.

I'll have a play about with colours to see how orange, purple, blue and green look, thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT:

ejkU6hx.jpg

Just for fun I added the colour schemes used in World of Warcraft

Legend < 1%

Ultra Rare < 5%

Rare < 20%

Uncommon < 50%

Common >=50%

Also amended the original banner of Rarity (Ultra Rare) on the original sheet to match the colour PSNProfiles uses for Ultra Rare

Hk8pE5y.jpg

Edited by FawltyPowers
  • Like 3

I almost want to avoid the topic yet after reading 24 pages over 2 threads for the past 3 hours, I will give my opinion.

I voted no, 50%, and yes.

I think that regardless of how the original post was worded I think what this is really about is kind of giving credit to some other trophy hunters that are great gamers; while here on this site it seems we can only track our own progress, compare with others, and the measuring stick is the overall leaderboard.  Which none of us have years to invest to immediately catch up and takedown someone at the top 1,000 levels above us.  A grind even if it was in a video game, yet IRL...a thousand levels, impossible.

I voted no, yet strangely I agree with the original philosophy or the way I like to see it, in the idea of giving credit to other gamers, because there are a lot that have mastered or conquered a lot of serious titles and yet are unknown of, aside from the occasional forum presence, or that someone might randomly glance at their profile.  

I voted no because I don't see any functional place to actually put the Ribbons.  I think the original location clutters where the other trophies are, and on some of the banners in sigs, I think its way too muddy and cluttered.  I went to my profile and looked and it looks good with the spacing the way it is and such for the columns and the data that is already being presented.

@FawltyPowers while I appreciate the design time you spent on that, I think its way too many items on the screen, and I don't think it gives us an "at a glance" feel of whether you are a speed trophy player or whether you are a true challenger of the darkest corners of video games with the highest of challenges await you.  

I've owned a website and have a lifetime VB Forum board that I bought like 20 years ago, after I closed my website I've never used that stuff since, and I have done a ton of graphic design.  Presentation and layout are critical, too much data is as useless as too little data.  Sometimes website owners do change passions in life, as do all of us, so it's not really a surprise if the owner is getting ready to move on with their life and maybe do something else; at some point they will have to make the decision to close or sell the site to someone else.  In the interim it's always good to have a coder around in order to make potential site changes, even if you have to hire them.  As that can increase your web footprint and traffic.  I hired a flash coder for a special project, and had a different coder do the majority of my website set up, while I handled a majority of the design work, I also hired an external digital artist as well for things we wanted to look really incredible.

If I owned this website or was in charge I would modify the leaderboards page and give up on the Ribbons concept.  The Ribbons aren't bad, I just think its too much.  I also would have thought to do them differently, like you could name them anything you want, yet maybe you have genre specific badges/ribbons/medals whatever you want to call them.

* Lord of Darkness - player has the most "Horror" game platinums of the community

* I Never Miss - player has the most "Shooter" game platinums of the community

* Speed of Light - player has the most "Driving/Racing" game platinums of the community

* There Can Be Only One (Highlander)  - player is the only one who has the platinum for this game (example https://psnprofiles.com/jq291 for Madden NFL 17) 

* Take It Easy - player has a platinum with a 100% rarity (meaning everyone that has the game has got the platinum)

* Archaeoligist - player has the rarest platinums of the community

* Perfectionist - player has a 100% completion percentage

* Near Perfect - player has a 95% or higher completion percentage

* Slacker - player has a 50% of below completion percentage

* Skill Not Required - player has a platinum in under 1 hour completion time

----------------

In some of these cases multiple people could have the same badge/medal/ribbon, like the Highlander one, I don't know how many games out there only have 1 person who got the platinum, so it's a pretty rare badge indeed, yet could be multiple people for multiple games.  

In Take it Easy, if 5 people play Game X, and all 5 platinum it so it has 100%, then all 5 get this badge.

These are kind of outside of the box ideas, and it's meant to be kind of a websites own "trophy list" I guess.  Whether you like it or not, it would be an added feature of the site, and frankly one where people can actually challenge each other or set goals for themselves as players that are somewhat more realistic than achieving number 1 in the world.  I mean, lets say you want the racing badge, well go look and see how many Platinums for Racing the person who has it, has, and then go plat some racing games and try to take it from them.  So basically you could see badges change hands, and maybe the website sends an email to the player letting them know "Hey...AJRadio just took your Speed of Light badge for "the most racing platinums" on the PSNProfiles."

-----------------

There isn't much to say really, I get the speed trophy players and their stance and I see the other side as well, I think all of us view gaming differently and what we are there to do.  I enjoy being a part of the community while openly knowing I will never be number 1, and that's ok, I'm very proud of the eons of games and challenges I have surpassed in the past.  I think the biggest concern for me when I read posts and I hear people say "man I'm glad that is finally over", it makes me think to back 20 years ago when my generation was doing this without trophies and many times we felt the same way after we "perfected" a title.  It's like...thank God it's over, so we could finally move on to another game.  Yet until that point of perfection it was like...we weren't ever sure if we were having fun, it was a question of...are we enjoying the grind/game?  I just hope none of you out there trophy collecting feel like it's a job, because games are sometimes frustrating and hard, yet challenge is good, but if it feels like work and there is no joy in the victory anymore, probably a good time to take break and enjoy life.

In closing I would have just added columns to the leaderboard page for other things, like Rarest Platinum Collectors and added in coding/formulas and have it update maybe once a day or however so the site isn't overwhelmed.  

I'm ok with it either way, if it ever gets completed at all though.

On 7/30/2021 at 0:08 PM, LegendExeter said:

These are kind of outside of the box ideas, and it's meant to be kind of a websites own "trophy list" I guess.  Whether you like it or not, it would be an added feature of the site, and frankly one where people can actually challenge each other or set goals for themselves as players that are somewhat more realistic than achieving number 1 in the world.  I mean, lets say you want the racing badge, well go look and see how many Platinums for Racing the person who has it, has, and then go plat some racing games and try to take it from them.  So basically you could see badges change hands, and maybe the website sends an email to the player letting them know "Hey...AJRadio just took your Speed of Light badge for "the most racing platinums" on the PSNProfiles."

I can't see myself getting too many badges, either in terms of skill or by terms of time commitment.

There is always going to be someone better. In the world of gaming, I am just above average. My real standout is persevering where most people give up and move on to other stuff. MatteSMB, considered one of the best players of Super Meat Boy out there, could literally run circles around me in the time it would take me to beat a single world. Most of everyone I've watched who have done world speedrun competitions on YouTube and Twitch.tv is a more skilled and talented gamer than I will ever be.

I remember a long time ago I used to watch people compete with each other on Super Smash Bros Brawl. It was one of the first video game competitions I can recall off the top of my head, a bunch of long time Nintendo nerds playing against one another. Until I was about 13 - 14 years old I used to think I was good at playing video games, then I discovered kids and grown ups out there who would put my talents to shame. I saw a guy playing Luigi using the L-cancel tactic, which was pressing a bunch of buttons in rapid succession, involving the L button which is normally your shield in the game.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/L-canceling#:~:text=L-canceling (an abbreviation of lag canceling or L,landing in the middle of an aerial attack.

That is just an introduction to the move, the players I watched were using it on the ground.

Over the years I watched players compete in games like Super Street Fighter 4. And that was when I gave up the idea of trying to be the best. Unless you're in a speedrun competition where others are watching, nobody cares how fast you finish a game.

Trophy hunters are generally the "jack of all trades, master of none". And I'm no exception to that.

On 7/30/2021 at 0:08 PM, LegendExeter said:

There isn't much to say really, I get the speed trophy players and their stance and I see the other side as well, I think all of us view gaming differently and what we are there to do.  I enjoy being a part of the community while openly knowing I will never be number 1, and that's ok, I'm very proud of the eons of games and challenges I have surpassed in the past.  I think the biggest concern for me when I read posts and I hear people say "man I'm glad that is finally over", it makes me think to back 20 years ago when my generation was doing this without trophies and many times we felt the same way after we "perfected" a title.  It's like...thank God it's over, so we could finally move on to another game.  Yet until that point of perfection it was like...we weren't ever sure if we were having fun, it was a question of...are we enjoying the grind/game?  I just hope none of you out there trophy collecting feel like it's a job, because games are sometimes frustrating and hard, yet challenge is good, but if it feels like work and there is no joy in the victory anymore, probably a good time to take break and enjoy life.

Your statement sort of tells me you're a guy in his late 30s or 40s.

There's honestly no real pride in being the number 1 trophy hunter. Ikemenzi has tons of shit on his profile, playing games for the sake of EZPZ trophies and keeping his position as a job. Same with Hakoom. He's done some real impressive stuff, and I've heard his voice on a number of podcasts. Sounds like a great guy and all, but gaming 12 - 15 hours a day? Where is the pride and honor in that?

That is why I don't give one iota about the leaderboards. As much as I would like a fully implemented rarity leaderboard, a few people out there will just hoard ultra rares just because they can, so there is little honor to be found in that as well.

I'm in the top 6000 worldwide (not counting cheaters and people not listed on PSNP), but do I really care? No, I don't. I don't care about a guy who scrapped by with over 500 platinums that were all shit games. Neither do I care about someone who is a casual trophy hunter, because they don't care anyway.

As with anything, the goals we set for ourselves should be the only things that really matter. Most of what everyone else does I just skip over, because it's not my priority to be concerned with what others are doing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 7:54 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I can't see myself getting too many badges, either in terms of skill or by terms of time commitment.

There is always going to be someone better. In the world of gaming, I am just above average. My real standout is persevering where most people give up and move on to other stuff. MatteSMB, considered one of the best players of Super Meat Boy out there, could literally run circles around me in the time it would take me to beat a single world. Most of everyone I've watched who have done world speedrun competitions on YouTube and Twitch.tv is a more skilled and talented gamer than I will ever be.

I remember a long time ago I used to watch people compete with each other on Super Smash Bros Brawl. It was one of the first video game competitions I can recall off the top of my head, a bunch of long time Nintendo nerds playing against one another. Until I was about 13 - 14 years old I used to think I was good at playing video games, then I discovered kids and grown ups out there who would put my talents to shame. I saw a guy playing Luigi using the L-cancel tactic, which was pressing a bunch of buttons in rapid succession, involving the L button which is normally your shield in the game.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/L-canceling#:~:text=L-canceling (an abbreviation of lag canceling or L,landing in the middle of an aerial attack.

That is just an introduction to the move, the players I watched were using it on the ground.

Over the years I watched players compete in games like Super Street Fighter 4. And that was when I gave up the idea of trying to be the best. Unless you're in a speedrun competition where others are watching, nobody cares how fast you finish a game.

Trophy hunters are generally the "jack of all trades, master of none". And I'm no exception to that.

Your statement sort of tells me you're a guy in his late 30s or 40s.

There's honestly no real pride in being the number 1 trophy hunter. Ikemenzi has tons of shit on his profile, playing games for the sake of EZPZ trophies and keeping his position as a job. Same with Hakoom. He's done some real impressive stuff, and I've heard his voice on a number of podcasts. Sounds like a great guy and all, but gaming 12 - 15 hours a day? Where is the pride and honor in that?

That is why I don't give one iota about the leaderboards. As much as I would like a fully implemented rarity leaderboard, a few people out there will just hoard ultra rares just because they can, so there is little honor to be found in that as well.

I'm in the top 6000 worldwide (not counting cheaters and people not listed on PSNP), but do I really care? No, I don't. I don't care about a guy who scrapped by with over 500 platinums that were all shit games. Neither do I care about someone who is a casual trophy hunter, because they don't care anyway.

As with anything, the goals we set for ourselves should be the only things that really matter. Most of what everyone else does I just skip over, because it's not my priority to be concerned with what others are doing.

As someone who walked both paths, trophy hunter and competitive, I have to disagree.

Both are challenging, but on a different level, trophy hunting requires dexterity and you being able to manoeuvre yourself in several genres, excluding Rata, Anna, Breakthrough etc, while competitive games may change a bit in different releases, but the base is the same.

In fighting games, for example, you need to pull some stupid combos in order to get a trophy, said combos being completely useless and impossible in a real fight, regardless of how good your muscle memory is, competitive also has an aversion to online, due to it usually being shit,  all your knowledge regarding frame data, is almost worthless, because a guy using Ken from Brazil will fuck that up, so even a master at a fighting game  won’t necessarily get something such as the Golden League of Street Fighter 5, it doesn’t help that SF5 uses a type of  (despised) leaderboard style system to rank up, where inevitably you’ll need luck too alongside skill. Sonicfox does not have the Ultimate Battle trophy of Injustice 1, because the CPU cheats and reads your inputs, allowing it to respond in a speed not reachable by any human, so different strategies  and “training” is outright required to get past the 10 or 24 opponents in a row.

Not to mention, you can study your opponent, see their mental frameworks, looking at different matches, and from there predict their inclinations and reasoning against you, this is not only limited to fighting games, but competitive RPGs, especially turn based RPGs as well (though there, there is also another thing called ghosting, which adds a new layer of gambits, if you can predict their  little friends will ghost your opponent). All of this  is not possible in trophy hunting, because you’re not really competing with a human, usually, and if you do, you’ll only spend  much much less energy to study said opponent, since the gravitas  of defeating said opponent  is far lower.

Edit: Ladder system, not Leaderboard, whenever I visit this damn site that word is always stuck in my head.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

11 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

As someone who walked both paths, trophy hunter and competitive, I have to disagree.

Both are challenging, but on a different level, trophy hunting requires dexterity and you being able to manoeuvre yourself in several genres, excluding Rata, Anna, Breakthrough etc, while competitive games may change a bit in different releases, but the base is the same.

In fighting games, for example, you need to pull some stupid combos in order to get a trophy, said combos being completely useless and impossible in a real fight, regardless of how good your muscle memory is, competitive also has an aversion to online, due to it usually being shit,  all your knowledge regarding frame data, is almost worthless, because a guy using Ken from Brazil will fuck that up, so even a master at a fighting game  won’t necessarily get something such as the Golden League of Street Fighter 5, it doesn’t help that SF5 uses a type of  (despised) leaderboard style system to rank up, where inevitably you’ll need luck too alongside skill. Sonicfox does not have the Ultimate Battle trophy of Injustice 1, because the CPU cheats and reads your inputs, allowing it to respond in a speed not reachable by any human, so different strategies  and “training” is outright required to get past the 10 or 24 opponents in a row.

Not to mention, you can study your opponent, see their mental frameworks, looking at different matches, and from there predict their inclinations and reasoning against you, this is not only limited to fighting games, but competitive RPGs, especially turn based RPGs as well (though there, there is also another thing called ghosting, which adds a new layer of gambits, if you can predict their  little friends will ghost your opponent). All of this  is not possible in trophy hunting, because you’re not really competing with a human, usually, and if you do, you’ll only spend  much much less energy to study said opponent, since the gravitas  of defeating said opponent  is far lower.

Competitive multiplayer is a completely different ballgame as opposed to trophy hunting for difficult single player achievements.

I imagine in Street Fighter V, you will be constantly pitted against players who may have had years and decades of Street Fighter experience. For a majority of players, they probably cannot reach the Golden League because that requires a completely different skillset as opposed to doing those brutal trials in Super Street Fighter IV.

It's the same thing every single time you retry those trials. They don't change at all, the only variable is whether or not you are going to improve your skills. In competitive multiplayer, everybody has a different approach to playing. You can go on a good winning streak only to have somebody obliterate you. Fighting games are one of the most skill intensive genres out there. For those Japanese and Korean players they are talented and skilled enough to destroy just about anybody. I couldn't even imagine trying to beat those guys in my lifetime. I don't have that kind of timing and reflexes.

Truthfully, I'm not a skilled player. My talent is persevering where others might give up and quit. I did this for Super Meat Boy, Vanquish and OlliOlli2. This is not possible in competitive multiplayer. I don't have the speed and reflexes to compete with the better players.

I've been gaming for nearly 30 years and most any single player game requires dexterity and being able to maneuver myself. At one time I was absolute crap at Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. But after so many years and being exposed to those games for so long, I know them like the back of my hand, and I can beat them without even trying.

New York Minute Hardcore in Max Payne 3 requires a lot of practice, but even then you may be hit with a glitch. It's still significantly easier than competitive multiplayer. The trials in Street Fighter IV would still be easier for me. You can't expect the same when you play against human opponents.

6 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Competitive multiplayer is a completely different ballgame as opposed to trophy hunting for difficult single player achievements.

I imagine in Street Fighter V, you will be constantly pitted against players who may have had years and decades of Street Fighter experience. For a majority of players, they probably cannot reach the Golden League because that requires a completely different skillset as opposed to doing those brutal trials in Super Street Fighter IV.

It's the same thing every single time you retry those trials. They don't change at all, the only variable is whether or not you are going to improve your skills. In competitive multiplayer, everybody has a different approach to playing. You can go on a good winning streak only to have somebody obliterate you. Fighting games are one of the most skill intensive genres out there. For those Japanese and Korean players they are talented and skilled enough to destroy just about anybody. I couldn't even imagine trying to beat those guys in my lifetime. I don't have that kind of timing and reflexes.

Truthfully, I'm not a skilled player. My talent is persevering where others might give up and quit. I did this for Super Meat Boy, Vanquish and OlliOlli2. This is not possible in competitive multiplayer. I don't have the speed and reflexes to compete with the better players.

I've been gaming for nearly 30 years and most any single player game requires dexterity and being able to maneuver myself. At one time I was absolute crap at Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. But after so many years and being exposed to those games for so long, I know them like the back of my hand, and I can beat them without even trying.

New York Minute Hardcore in Max Payne 3 requires a lot of practice, but even then you may be hit with a glitch. It's still significantly easier than competitive multiplayer. The trials in Street Fighter IV would still be easier for me. You can't expect the same when you play against human opponents.

You overestimate human opponents,  you can study the level layout of SMB as much as your opponent in any competitive game, especially in later entries where they made it much easier for casuals  to defeat pros, something like the hardest trials of SF 4 you cited, for example, are useless in real matches, and only useful if the opponent is immovable, most of the pros also focus on 2-3, sometimes 4 characters, not the entire cast,  it’s absurd, and 4 are more than enough to avoid counter-teamming, doing that would be  detrimental to their mental conditions, as they need to keep the reflexes of their mains, so no, it’s not like competitive players are outright better than trophy hunters, they focus on an entire different skillset, even in the games  they intertwine, making trophy hunters not jack of all trades (and outright useless according to a Korean proverb), but people who specialise in things planned by the developers, that nobody, outside their area would do, sometimes even know.

16 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

You overestimate human opponents,  you can study the level layout of SMB as much as your opponent in any competitive game, especially in later entries where they made it much easier for casuals  to defeat pros, something like the hardest trials of SF 4 you cited, for example, are useless in real matches, and only useful if the opponent is immovable, most of the pros also focus on 2-3, sometimes 4 characters, not the entire cast,  it’s absurd, and 4 are more than enough to avoid counter-teamming, doing that would be  detrimental to their mental conditions, as they need to keep the reflexes of their mains, so no, it’s not like competitive players are outright better than trophy hunters, they focus on an entire different skillset, even in the games  they intertwine, making trophy hunters not jack of all trades (and outright useless according to a Korean proverb), but people who specialise in things planned by the developers, that nobody, outside their area would do, sometimes even know.

I have to disagree.

I used to watch Super Smash Bros Melee tournaments. It was one of the first competitive games that I recall from memory where players won prizes and money for winning those tournaments. Generally, for most it's a party brawler, catering to casuals but lacking the more intertwined game mechanics that you'll find in Street Fighter and Tekken. But I saw players using characters like Luigi in ways that I didn't even think was possible. One technique that a lot of those top players used was the L-cancel maneuver. Normally, you do this in the air or on the ground to avoid a projectile. But they were using it constantly. That requires a very fast and specific sequence of button pressing, something I tried to do once and immediately gave up on.

It's not just fighting games either. Some Let's Players play stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on a competitive level. They don't play a wide variety of games, they stick to the same games over and over. And they are masters at them.

Trophy hunters are in many ways a jack of all trades, because we're playing a lot of different games and different genres that require some semblance of skill and perseverance. I cannot say I'm a master at any game I've finished, nor can I say I'm talented enough to do any sort of notable speedrun. We mostly fulfill the requirements to unlock trophies, and move on to the next game.

Somebody like greenzsaber ( https://psnprofiles.com/greenzsaber ) does speedrunning as a hobby. I recall seeing him do an actual speedrun event on Twitch or YouTube, can't remember what platform exactly. He specializes in speedrunning. All we specialize in is trophy hunting.

Personally, I get too bored and tired playing the same game over and over. People have played some games for decades, and they're so good at it they try to improve and get competitive. That's not my style.

Edited by AJ_Radio

7 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

I was thinking about whether Ribbons could be incorporated in the current PSNP layout. This is an idea I had.

That looks great.  I agree with the idea of just replacing the gold/silver/bronze with the ribbons.  Probably the cleanest way to do it without just making things too cluttered and I'm a lot more interested in the ribbons than the trophy types.

I think it's important to make it optional like you suggest so as to not upset anyone too much.  And I would make sure that it's optional from the perspective of the person that's choosing to check the box.  So, for example if I check the box that enables ribbons then I just see any profile I look at with ribbons (and any other place it would make sense, like https://psnprofiles.com/games).  But, if someone didn't check the box, then they just see everything the way it is now.

I think we might stand a better chance of getting this implemented if people who don't want it just don't have to deal with it, you know?  Who would complain about an optional way of looking at profiles that they could just completely ignore if they wanted to?   (I know, I know... some will still find a way.)

Edited by dmland12

So, this discussion has started such a long time ago that I might have missed something... But initially, each game was supposed to be a ribbon (if eligible), now we are talking about replacing every single trophy in a game with a ribbon... 

The initial idea was to showcase with the ribbons how many GAMES meet specific criteria. Not trophies. 

When did we deviate from that idea?

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

So, this discussion has started such a long time ago that I might have missed something... But initially, each game was supposed to be a ribbon (if eligible), now we are talking about replacing every single trophy in a game with a ribbon... 

The initial idea was to showcase with the ribbons how many GAMES meet specific criteria. Not trophies. 

When did we deviate from that idea?

I deviated from the idea that @BlindMango suggested and it may not be the right direction, alternatively @BlindMango may not be the perfect suggestion either even though I like it and would be happy to see it implemented, it could be something in the middle.

I've put some visuals together so that it gets people thinking and the only reason I look at this thread particularly is that it was originally a conversation between Sly and Mango so it would be nice to try and find something that works. Obviously what we have at the moment isn't what Sly wants so we keep trying and if Sly doesn't want it at all then it would be nice for him to have a word in Mango's ear and then we can lock these threads.

I'm not sure why there is a conversation about badges, maybe that should be set up as a different thread to discuss as these topics aren't even in the same ballpark?

I still really like the idea of the Ribbon System, but the initial post was over a year ago now - is this actually happening? If it isn't, which the space of the year seems to lean towards - is there any point in keeping this thread open? Apologies if I've missed something here. It just feels a bit redundant to keep this going if it's not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I still really like the idea of the Ribbon System, but the initial post was over a year ago now - is this actually happening? If it isn't, which the space of the year seems to lean towards - is there any point in keeping this thread open? Apologies if I've missed something here. It just feels a bit redundant to keep this going if it's not going to happen.

Don't worry, we are masochists, we like to keep giving opinions towards ideas that we know won't be implemented ever...

40 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I deviated from the idea that @BlindMango suggested and it may not be the right direction, alternatively @BlindMango may not be the perfect suggestion either even though I like it and would be happy to see it implemented, it could be something in the middle.

Ah I wasn't valuing the idea / modifications you've made :) I just didn't know if at some point it was decided to add ribbons for every trophy is all. At least you are still experimenting with this, though I'm not very optimistic when it comes to any kind of oficial implementation.. 

I'm new around here, but there seems to be a simple solution to me.

In the Stats section of each profile, there is an average rarity percentage. Couldn't that just be put on the front page of each profile like 'Games Played' ' Games Completed' etc etc.

It's a simple change from the owners standpoint that will give people the information they want at a glance.

I've not been at my profile long but I seem to be hovering around 50%. I think I'm a pretty average gamer when it comes to difficulty. A lot of the easy game players seem to hover 70%. I saw some crazy dude UR collector at 24% this morning.

Wouldn't having that percentage on our profiles be enough....would for me.

I only say all this because while the idea by Fawlty Power looks great, I think there is too much info on the screen and I don't see the owner wanting to invest that much work in a complete design change. He is more likely to go with a simple change.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I have to disagree.

I used to watch Super Smash Bros Melee tournaments. It was one of the first competitive games that I recall from memory where players won prizes and money for winning those tournaments. Generally, for most it's a party brawler, catering to casuals but lacking the more intertwined game mechanics that you'll find in Street Fighter and Tekken. But I saw players using characters like Luigi in ways that I didn't even think was possible. One technique that a lot of those top players used was the L-cancel maneuver. Normally, you do this in the air or on the ground to avoid a projectile. But they were using it constantly. That requires a very fast and specific sequence of button pressing, something I tried to do once and immediately gave up on.

It's not just fighting games either. Some Let's Players play stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on a competitive level. They don't play a wide variety of games, they stick to the same games over and over. And they are masters at them.

Trophy hunters are in many ways a jack of all trades, because we're playing a lot of different games and different genres that require some semblance of skill and perseverance. I cannot say I'm a master at any game I've finished, nor can I say I'm talented enough to do any sort of notable speedrun. We mostly fulfill the requirements to unlock trophies, and move on to the next game.

Somebody like greenzsaber ( https://psnprofiles.com/greenzsaber ) does speedrunning as a hobby. I recall seeing him do an actual speedrun event on Twitch or YouTube, can't remember what platform exactly. He specializes in speedrunning. All we specialize in is trophy hunting.

Personally, I get too bored and tired playing the same game over and over. People have played some games for decades, and they're so good at it they try to improve and get competitive. That's not my style.

Really, did you try investing the same time  you invested in that SMB plat to do that movement on Melee? I thought the same thing with the jump cancel of Devil may Cry, until I did it, and then continued to do it  much more easily as time went on.

Competitively, there’s a rule of efficiency, it’s why the combos I mentioned are  worthless (and cannot make trophy hunters jack of all  trades, due to the requirements of succeeding in those combos  being necessary only for them), if you see a certain move being spammed, it’s because it is efficient, and when mastered, can be used at an instinctual level.

Now, I frankly have no idea  what  Heroes  of Might etc is, but Wikipedia tells me it’s a turn based ROG, and I do have experience with turn based RPGs,  too much in a way, but I was forced to, to keep my clan at the top.

As a matter of fact, I was the Founder (and leader, but founder is much more important, any dipshit can lead a successful team when it’s already successful) of a Clan, not the kind of idiocy you’d find in various MMOs, though, I had a site much like this one, for more than a decade, as a matter  of fact, I can’t tell you how long, but it preceded Facebook, Reddit and subsequently 4chan when it became famous, those three are the main culprits of normal sites falling in disuse.

Anyway, to keep my Clan at the top, I had to help, both on a “normal ” level  and “underhanded” level the members, early  I mentioned ghosting, it’s not when you ignore someone, it’s competitive jargon when you “possess” someone and do the actions in their place, think of it as the Shareplay of Playstation, at the time we used Teamviewer and other stuff, since there was no Skype or Discord. Alongside Metagame innovations, yes, we  had to (create)  and hide those innovations (again, the site  was very useful) from rivals, until  an important event, so we had an advantage in said events.

Someone like you, can easily get all the guides required for Max Payne, Necrodancer etc, but would probably be unable to get those metagame excelling informations (unless we talk about the bare minimum, the surface, which would leave you more predictable and vulnerable), you’d be seen as an alt of someone else, and had trouble to pass the admittance test, so that information would be closed off to your eyes, but that does not mean that said information, and as such competitiveness, is harder, rather, the information is  more precious than the other, otherwise the difficulty would be the same, or even less.

Necrodancer requires 900+ hours to master, someone like that, I would no doubt take into my clan, that’s not dedication you’ll see often, not even in the master circles where some players just  haxed their way through, and are babied by other handlers, those guys just don’t have the brain configuration to get some of the hardest trophies, too much ADHD, and not enough people to help them in the pursuit.

Alas, I stopped playing competitively in 2017 in a 1024+ competition, because in the quarterfinals, the guy that ended up winning the tournament, ended up haxing me to death.

So I needed a break from it all, but outside of that rage inducing event, and administrating a large group of users (all of them +18, but unfortunately that didn't stop the petty drama),  I never found the experience as frustrating as some trophies (though to be fair, age does play a small number, not that much though, as it wasn’t reflex based), and some online trophies you basically require others, so, in a way, it’s back to square one.

19 minutes ago, ZealousThunder said:

In the Stats section of each profile, there is an average rarity percentage. Couldn't that just be put on the front page of each profile like 'Games Played' ' Games Completed' etc etc.

It's a simple change from the owners standpoint that will give people the information they want at a glance.

I've not been at my profile long but I seem to be hovering around 50%. I think I'm a pretty average gamer when it comes to difficulty. A lot of the easy game players seem to hover 70%. I saw some crazy dude UR collector at 24% this morning.

I only say all this because while the idea by Fawlty Power looks great, I think there is too much info on the screen and I don't see the owner wanting to invest that much work in a complete design change. He is more likely to go with a simple change.

That would be considered by some weirdos as “stat-shaming”.

25 minutes ago, ZealousThunder said:

This was in fact visible on the front page with the old website layout. When I first started becoming active here in 2015 PSNProfiles was under the old website format, which had a statistic for average rarity shown on the front page of every profile. In late 2016 Sly Ripper was changing to the current format, and after the transition, the average rarity statistic was removed from the front page.

What's sad is having 50 percent average rarity is pretty good, what with all the shit that takes 1 - 2 minutes each to platinum.

8 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Really, did you try investing the same time  you invested in that SMB plat to do that movement on Melee? I thought the same thing with the jump cancel of Devil may Cry, until I did it, and then continued to do it  much more easily as time went on.

I was still a teenager when those Super Smash Bros Melee tournaments were popular. It just struck me as odd when those top players were using L-cancel maneuvers and other advanced techniques. Clearly, they had a set of skills that the average player wouldn't have.

Over the years, I saw Street Fighter tournaments and other ones being held. It was then that I realized I will never be a competitive gamer.

The best I can do is start my own livestream series and have people donate via PayPal. That's all you're going to get out of me.

11 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Now, I frankly have no idea  what  Heroes  of Might etc is, but Wikipedia tells me it’s a turn based ROG, and I do have experience with turn based RPGs,  too much in a way, but I was forced to, to keep my clan at the top.

It's an old game from 1999, perhaps before your time. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is one of my favorite strategy games of all time, up there with Age of Empires 2 and Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword.

12 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Someone like you, can easily get all the guides required for Max Payne, Necrodancer etc, but would probably be unable to get those metagame excelling informations (unless we talk about the bare minimum, the surface, which would leave you more predictable and vulnerable), you’d be seen as an alt of someone else, and had trouble to pass the admittance test, so that information would be closed off to your eyes, but that does not mean that said information, and as such competitiveness, is harder, rather, the information is  more precious than the other, otherwise the difficulty would be the same, or even less.

Necrodancer requires 900+ hours to master, someone like that, I would no doubt take into my clan, that’s not dedication you’ll see often, not even in the master circles where some players just  haxed their way through, and are babied by other handlers, those guys just don’t have the brain configuration to get some of the hardest trophies, too much ADHD, and not enough people to help them in the pursuit.

Necrodancer is in a league of its own in contrast to Max Payne 3. Prior to trophy hunting I used to play World of Warcraft and Runescape. MMOs were what threw a chunk of my youth away. I spent thousands of hours grinding away at Runescape, around 9000 hours to be exact, and I don't think I'll ever have the fortitude to put that kind of time into a game ever again.

So when I see Overwatch and Fortnite, I politely stay the fuck away from them. League of Legends made me hate randoms, and DOTA 2, that's another can of fucking worms I'll rather not delve into right now.

ADHD is a problem because of instant gratification.

57 minutes ago, ZealousThunder said:

Average Rarity was removed from the front page years ago and gets brought up in conversation from time to time. I wrote something about it a while ago when someone mentioned it was a vital stat:

On 11/11/2017 at 6:00 PM, FawltyPowers said:

A vital stat?

Here is the average rarity for a few games and the platinum rarity:

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Av Rarity = 22.72%, Plat Rarity = 12.70%

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - Av Rarity = 39.08%, Plat Rarity = 2.17%

Far Cry 3 - Av Rarity = 52.98%, Plat Rarity = 19.11%

Dead Space - Av Rarity = 51.31%, Plat Rarity = 16.86%

What exactly does average rarity determine in relation to other games?

If you want to lower that score on your profile it doesn't necessarily mean that playing a game with an ultra rare platinum will do that, not if the balance between ultra / very rare trophies and uncommon trophies ways more heavily towards uncommon.

In the above I am better playing Prince of Persia to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 to lower my average rarity.

That said, some people seem to like it so I guess that's why it wasn't removed altogether

EDIT: This stat may actually have more relevance now, 4 years ago we didn't have the constant stream of 5 minute 99%+ completion platinums.

Edited by FawltyPowers