BlindMango

The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!    520 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

    • Yes
      410
    • No
      109
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

    • 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
      322
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
      197
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

    • Yes
      405
    • No
      114

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

315 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

 

Average Rarity was removed from the front page years ago 

 

 

My bad, I didn't realise...I wonder why it was removed?

 

It seems like useful stat to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame that I've never seen this in work, hope they will try again maybe. Loved the idea

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved this idea back when it was first posted. Why hasn't this been implemented yet?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Ribbon of Completion.

 

I guess I'm opposed to the Ribbon of Effort, regardless of 50 or 75% because it's a hard cut-off and looking at my own plats I really can't see a good cut-off point.  

I've got VN's in the 35-ish % - those get a ribbon.  Puss in Boots (48% 2/10, 5hr) gets a ribbon, but Devious Dungeons (>80% 2/10, 5hr) doesn't??

Code Realize (VN, 45% 2/10, 10hr) gets a ribbon, but ChaosChild (VN 55%, 2/10, 50hr) doesn't????  What sense does this make?  

The piss-easy PS3 version of Trine 2 gets a ribbon? (35%).  What a joke.

 

This isn't cherry-picking a few examples.  Looking at my plats, I'd say there's a drop in "effort" around the 30 or 35% mark, and then another drop around... 80%?  90%?  There's a lot of easy.. sorry, "LOW EFFORT" stuff from 35% to 100% and giving ribbons to (some) Telltale games is just a mockery of the RIbbon of Effort.  While not as bad as Rarity=Difficulty, you're still making the same mistake.  Rarity /= Effort and it's deeply flawed to build something on that assumption.

 

By all means, please look at my plat list and explain why the games >50% don't deserve a ribbon while Code Realize and Puss in Boots do.  I suspect no answer is coming because there isn't a good one, but people's emotional need to discount RL games and plat spam outweighs any logical argument.

Edited by stork77
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stork77 said:

I like the Ribbon of Completion.

 

I guess I'm opposed to the Ribbon of Effort, regardless of 50 or 75% because it's a hard cut-off and looking at my own plats I really can't see a good cut-off point.  

I've got VN's in the 35-ish % - those get a ribbon.  Puss in Boots (48% 2/10, 5hr) gets a ribbon, but Devious Dungeons (>80% 2/10, 5hr) doesn't??

Code Realize (VN, 45% 2/10, 10hr) gets a ribbon, but ChaosChild (VN 55%, 2/10, 50hr) doesn't????  What sense does this make?  

The piss-easy PS3 version of Trine 2 gets a ribbon? (35%).  What a joke.

 

This isn't cherry-picking a few examples.  Looking at my plats, I'd say there's a drop in "effort" around the 30 or 35% mark, and then another drop around... 80%?  90%?  There's a lot of easy.. sorry, "LOW EFFORT" stuff from 35% to 100% and giving ribbons to (some) Telltale games is just a mockery of the RIbbon of Effort.  While not as bad as Rarity=Difficulty, you're still making the same mistake.  Rarity /= Effort and it's deeply flawed to build something on that assumption.

 

By all means, please look at my plat list and explain why the games >50% don't deserve a ribbon while Code Realize and Puss in Boots do.  I suspect no answer is coming because there isn't a good one, but people's emotional need to discount RL games and plat spam outweighs any logical argument.

 

Don't take it so personally.

 

If a game has a rarity over a certain percentage it isn't included. It really is that simple, it's just a very quick way of saying "You have this many games with a platinum under x%"

 

Don't worry this thread was started 3 years ago and nothing has happened so I wouldn't get stressed about it ever being a feature.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

 

Don't take it so personally.

 

If a game has a rarity over a certain percentage it isn't included. It really is that simple, it's just a very quick way of saying "You have this many games with a platinum under x%"

 

Don't worry this thread was started 3 years ago and nothing has happened so I wouldn't get stressed about it ever being a feature.

I get the mechanics, I'm pointing out that the criteria make no sense for the meaning people want to give it.

And I'm using my plats not because I take it personally, but because I'm familiar with them and it's convenient subset.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stork77 said:

I get the mechanics, I'm pointing out that the criteria make no sense for the meaning people want to give it.

And I'm using my plats not because I take it personally, but because I'm familiar with them and it's convenient subset.

 

If it's just the word "Effort" that bothers you, then think of another, contribute.

 

To me effort doesn't cover everything but it's a good generalisation

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know about anybody else but right now I’m thinking the new cut-off should be moved up to 90%. If a game has a platinum trophy rarity anywhere above that number (especially in severe cases where the plat. rarity exceeds 95-96 percent) then it might be worth asking if it’s even a “game” at all.

 

Oh boy, so much has changed with EZPZ plats even within the past three years alone. Back in 2019 (the year this topic started on) We had mostly easy platinum games except we can actually call them “games” once you put their trophies aside for one moment. 2022’s most easy plats don’t even come from actual games anymore, instead you achieve them from sucking up on asset-swapping PS Store products that exist only to sell them to real leaderboard/trophy addicts.

Edited by Dry
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

 

If it's just the word "Effort" that bothers you, then think of another, contribute.

 

To me effort doesn't cover everything but it's a good generalisation

 

By all means, explain why Toy Story Mania, Puss in Boots, Up, Stein's Gate, Trine 2 (PS3), Code Realize involve [effort (whatever term you want to use)] and ChaosChild, Cloudy with Meatballs, Hannah Montana, Sly1, etc don't.

Edited by stork77
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think this should be implemented it would be nice. though i think sly is too bsy right now

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stork77 said:

 

By all means, explain why Toy Story Mania, Puss in Boots, Up, Stein's Gate, Trine 2 (PS3), Code Realize involve [effort (whatever term you want to use)] and ChaosChild, Cloudy with Meatballs, Hannah Montana, Sly1, etc don't.

 

I'm guessing then that you don't like ribbons related to Rarity? I thought it was just the name "Effort" that was bothering you rather than what it represents. Fair enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

 

I'm guessing then that you don't like ribbons related to Rarity? I thought it was just the name "Effort" that was bothering you rather than what it represents. Fair enough.

Rarity is fine as it is - #ppl who got the trophy / #ppl who have the trophy list on their profile.  In and of itself perfectly fine.

 

But people put meaning into rarity that I don't think is warranted: difficulty, value, effort, whatever.  I just don't see it outside of the extremes.  Stuff that's <20% vs stuff >80% rarity - yeah, odds are there is something (difficulty, grind, online, luck) that roughly correlates to rarity that separates a <20% vs >80%.  But 45% vs 55%?  Nope, and that's what this RIbbon of Effort is trying to do.  Looking at my own plats I don't see much effort/difficulty/value/whatever difference from 35% to say 80-ish.  There's kiddie plats, VN's, Ratalaika plats scattered throughout the range - all EZPZ.  And it seems like the ribbon of effort is a way to say "not EZPZ plats".  But would award ribbons for Toy Story Mania, Telltale, and VN's, which are textbook EZPZ.  35% as a cutoff would make more sense to me than 50 or 75.  I would still object to it because rarity/=effort/difficulty/whatever but that would be a functionally more sensical cutoff.

Edited by stork77
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jus give us the ability to display our average rarity next to out name.  You can opt to display it or not.  

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the work and time you guys invested in these ideas. 


From my humble point of view, this system will be distorted by the fact that these ribbons will be awarded based on PSNPROFILES rarity.

Quote

 

The first ribbon would be called the Ribbon of Effort, and the rule for this one is quite simple. If you get a platinum trophy with a PSNProfiles rarity of 75% or rarer, then this ribbon is yours.


 

Elden Ring (PS5) platine for example was earned by 43.81% of PSNPROFILES users (you guys are beasts !), while it's only 11.5% on PSN. 

Elden Ring (PS4) platine was earned by 36.36% of PSNPROFILES users, while it's only 8.7% on PSN. 


In both of these cases, the ribbon will be awarded. But I would'nt be surprised that some games will be deprived of ribbon if the chosen rarity is 50%. 

What could it mean ? It would push people to add every people they meet in game in this site at least one time, even non trophies hunter. 

By doing so, you will inevitably lower some PSNPROFILES rarity to slighly approach "a more realist" rarity : the PSN rarity.

 

I wouldn't get why it should be based on PSNPROFILES rarity. The rarity of Elden Ring (PS5) is a good example. It looks like a fairly easy game if you look PSNPROFILES rarity, but the guide rate it at 7/10. 
Dark Souls remastered (PS4) ? Earned by 28% of people here. Seems easy ! The difficulty rate in the guide ? 8/10. 

 

Come one. This wouldn't make sense. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads-up to newcomers to this thread: This idea is old now and nothing came out of it because PSNP owner thought the whole thing was too divisive, so pretty much any discussions on the subject are kinda useless.

 

21 hours ago, Helium974 said:

From my humble point of view, this system will be distorted by the fact that these ribbons will be awarded based on PSNPROFILES rarity.

Elden Ring (PS5) platine for example was earned by 43.81% of PSNPROFILES users (you guys are beasts !), while it's only 11.5% on PSN. 

Elden Ring (PS4) platine was earned by 36.36% of PSNPROFILES users, while it's only 8.7% on PSN. 

 

(snip)

I wouldn't get why it should be based on PSNPROFILES rarity. The rarity of Elden Ring (PS5) is a good example. It looks like a fairly easy game if you look PSNPROFILES rarity, but the guide rate it at 7/10. 
Dark Souls remastered (PS4) ? Earned by 28% of people here. Seems easy ! The difficulty rate in the guide ? 8/10. 

 

Come one. This wouldn't make sense. 

 

PSN rarities are ass compared to the ones here. That's why anything ever related to rarities will use those from here instead of PSN. On PSN any game that has slightly harder trophies have low rarity in general, here is more accurate since PSNP community (& profiles) is made of people who are interested in trophy hunting to begin with.

 

As far difficulty rate goes, that's just the guide writer opinion. I wouldn't put any Dark Souls game over 6/10, there tons of games that are harder than those in regards to platinum requirements so 7/10 or higher difficulty seems really overrated to me. It's a matter of opinion, really.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.