The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!   

520 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

• 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Hey again PSNProfiles,

It's time for part 2! This thread continues the proposal for introducing a system to the website called the Ribbon System. A lot of you had some great feedback and recommendations for it and it took a lot of time to get everything in order for this next post, but it's now ready for prime time.

Wondering What This Is? Take a Look at Part 1 First!

For the introduction and base information on the Ribbon System, including information that may not be quite as clearly described in this post, take a look at the following post first:

Voting Again on the Ribbon of Effort

In the last thread it started off fairly clear that people wanted the max percent to be 75%, but that started to really change over the course of the thread as more and more people voted for 50% to the point it became a virtual tie with a number of people wanting to change their vote in the end because they changed their mind. So now is the battle between what the maximum platinum rarity percentage the ribbon of effort will be awarded to 50% or 75%.

Remember when you vote, you are voting for the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort. For example, '75%' means any platinum trophy you earn with a 0% - 75% rarity gets you a ribbon. Any platinum trophy earned with a rarity above 75% will not get you a Ribbon of Effort. Take your time with this, and take a look at the platinum trophies in your collection and see which you think makes the most sense.

Here are arguments for each:

• 50% - The cutoff here is not a gray area, it is the split between uncommon and common rarity and not hard to interpret or understand. The downside here is some games that still take time may not get this ribbon, such as Spider-Man, though this is an outlier and it has a chance of moving into the 40% range in the future. On the other hand, this will eliminate pretty much anything that takes just mere minutes to get a platinum trophy.
  • 75% - The cutoff here is more of a gray area and not truly based off a rarity tier, however it is a safe area that covers games like Spider-Man but still excludes most games that are equivalent to clicking on a glass of Mayonnaise for 10 minutes to get a platinum trophy.

The New Ribbons

Based on the first Ribbon System thread feedback, a number of you wanted ribbons based around total completion along with completion for non-platinum games. The idea is to keep the total types of ribbons to a small number to avoid confusing inflation, but these 2 are very much useful to where they are hard to pass up.

Ribbon of Completion

QqWZsQp.png

This ribbon will be considered a count of the total number of non-platinum 100% games you've completed. The rules for this one are simple, if you've got that green checkmark for a non-platinum game on your profile, that adds to your counter for this ribbon. This will be a really cool identifier for those profiles you've probably seen that purposely do not go for platinum trophies, but instead go for completing all the games they can which feature no platinum trophy, among other things!

Ribbon of Totality

Zys3jpP.png

These ribbons are awarded to those that go the extra mile with total completion. They don't just get the platinum and move on to the next one, they stick around and (sometimes tediously) get every single trophy that was added on to the base trophy list. Sometimes this requires buying and playing through DLC, or just spending a ton of time pushing through trophies related to game updates, or a combination of both. An ultimate award for completionists as this will only be an earnable ribbon if a game releases DLC trophies which are added on to the base game trophies.

Customizing the Two Ribbons in the Top Bar

In the first thread people expressed the desire to customize the top bar, down to even removing the ribbons completely. The images below provide a way for the profile owner to customize their top bar and what that could look like.

The Default View (This will be the default view shown on every profile unless the profile owner customizes it)

hRzrp4R.jpg

No Ribbons View (If a profile owner elects to remove both top bar ribbons on their profile)

t30lBqy.jpg

Custom View (If a profile owner switches out the default top ribbons with their own)

57JrYka.jpg

The top bar of your profile will display the Ribbon of Effort and Ribbon of Rarity by default, but registered members would be able to customize their personal profile to show what 2 ribbons they want to display, or opt to not show them in the top bar at all if that's their choice. For example, someone that focuses on just getting games without platinum trophies may choose to display the Ribbon of Completion as one of their top ribbons as it's more relevant to their profile.

The Sidebar Module

If you'll be able to customize the top bar, then there has to be a home base for the ribbons to reside, right? So in comes the Ribbon module. This section won't take up much space in the sidebar of a profile and will display at a glance their 4 kinds of ribbons and how it compares with their platinum trophy count and their completed games count (a number already visible on your profile to the right of "Played Games" at the base of the banner image).

There can also be a nifty customize button where you can edit how the ribbon system appears on the top bar of your profile.

aCNlzBL.jpg

Redesigning the Ribbon of Rarity?

One last thing is what are your thoughts on changing the symbol for the ribbon of rarity? It could be the symbol of the original platinum trophy that was live on PSN for only the first week or two of the trophy system before Sony changed it to its current design, it would be a cool way to pay homage to it.

JJkqckp.png   >   LyPYJiH.png

What Are Your Thoughts?

Definitely share your thoughts on this! Much like you did in the first thread it really helped make improvements and changes that hopefully make the system better. While it may not be necessary to make a Part 3, we shall see! Before this is implemented, we'd want to make sure it's a system most people would like.

Remember this is likely a ways off from being implemented and not taking priority over other features people have been asking for, though threads like this will get this system in a well agreed upon place for whenever it does get added.

I like the idea of using the old symbol. It would be a nice little preservation of history.

30 minutes ago, Helmet_time said:

Since this is a system that is going to cause drama.  Why not compromise?  Instead of trying to quantify effort, just make a ribbon for each tier of platinum rarity.  That information is already present in the user's profile anyway.  There are lots of shiny new icons (four instead of two, that means it's twice as good!), there is no artificial delineation of 'quality', no one can feel excluded, and people who want to compare Ultra Rares will be free to do so.      

Why compromise when over 75% of the votes is 'yes'?

Honestly anyone who feels excluded and/or discriminated over a trophy stat should go see a psychologist.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, djb5f said:

I’d wager 95% of those who are against it are the multi-region stackers of  Ratalaika, POWGI, etc.  Don’t see how anyone else could be against an extra feature, especially if you have the option to toggle it off.

dont shit talk powgi i will cut you

• Like 2

At first I thought these were gonna be cool “medals” like in the pst forum to show around here and boost the participation overall.

I don’t think these ribbons are fit for everyone here, just for those who actually care who has the bigger platinum number (I thought this was over by now, maybe when it first started on the ps3 it was something but now..). Even if you add the “rarity ribbon” it actually doesnt work well since a low % platinum doesnt mean its hard.

In any case, I would rather agree that tier ribbons are much more appealing that just plain numbers to be honest.

11 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

while i'm all for naming and shaming rata games players i think features like the series box should be finished before anything else gets added

I won't be able to express myself in the way in which I'd like without having both my post removed and receiving a warning point, so I'll just have to settle with this:

You're a troll and indicative of the absolute worst in psnp elitism. 

• Like 2

i think the ribbons are a fine idea. the framing here might be a little bit weird, like pointing out the ratalaika stuff. I like the ultra rare ribbons at the very least because it's a very cool stat to see at a glance. it would be cool as an extra stat for people who primarily focus on ultra rares, not necessarily as a punishment for those who don't. i also dig the DLC completion and 100% ribbons, they're cool

the effort one I could do without because it seems a little arbitrary. you get most telltale for beating the games. sure they're 8-10 hours long, but there's no real "obstacle". it is a point A to point B platinum. The effort ribbon would be nice for people who play Soulsborne games and Soulslikes, but idk. I could be swayed on it but I don't really care about it as much as the other 3 proposed ribbons.

I'm also saying all this as someone who would really only benefit from the effort and 100% ribbons. I have very few ultra rare platinums and I have many incomplete games due to DLC. I do like the 100% ribbon, but the effort doesn't appeal to me much even as someone who would get an extra stat out of it on my profile

though, a guide writer's ribbon would be kinda cool btw ?

Edited by Burgins

Just give me the option to not show this and i'll be fine, i have better things to worry/look at then a dumb ribbon, not like this feature will stop me playing whatever the hell i want even if it is a super easy plat.

personally would rather see the game series be added and other things people have asked for

Edited by Conker
  • Like 2

I dig it
It's opt in opt out Stats I honestly don't understand why people are so avidly against.
Don't like? it opt out.
Like it? opt in. 
Some you acting like its the end of the world if these go in effect, some you not reading the vote list or mangos post. Geeze saw someone posting about participation awards when that's literally what trophies are to begin with simmer down people

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mackenzie129 said:

I dig it
It's opt in opt out Stats I honestly don't understand why people are so avidly against.
Don't like? it opt out.
Like it? opt in. 
Some you acting like its the end of the world if these go in effect, some you not reading the vote list or mangos post. Geeze saw someone posting about participation awards when that's literally what trophies are to begin with simmer down people

It’s not the end of the world but its a waste of resources and its feeding a pathetic behavior.

It’s participation in the sense of for example writing any kind of guide, which is much more useful.

I find funny how indignant you all look, everyone here has the right to vote and declare their own opinion, if you don’t share it fine but that doesn’t mean you hold the truth as to say “I don’t understand GeeEEZz, you all Ratailakas”.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Nobody goes after the same thing, so say for example if a completionist discriminates against someone who is obviously an non-completionist, that's not the fault of the completion percentage counter on a trophy stats website, it's the problem of the person calling that person out. 

I hate how necessary it is to continuously state something like that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

You're playing games because they're fun, not because you are trying to feel yourself better than the rest of us. Right?

How many of y'all are trying to cop a feel?

I am still on board with this idea. Making the leaderboards more worthwile without actually changing the leaderboards itself.

As I agree that the normal leaderboards should not be touched upon and should be 100% aligned with the system Sony has inplied and were I do think an artificial leaderboard like the ribbon system is a correct way of implementing something new and maybe more worthwile your time. I'm especially happy with the idea of the 100% list ribbons!

With this system:

- I do not have to play easy stack games for example. Since I can prioritize which leaderboard (if I want to be competitive) I can go for!

- And therewith the other 2 ribbons is nice to Have games with lesser points actually matter in an individual leaderboard too (aka the 100% ribbons)

Due to not changing the current leaderboard system, there is no discrimination on the leaderboards itself which is how it should be. There is a choice...

---

As for the more specific:

- I still firmly do believe having the max on 75% is better, because imo 50% is just too low. But I also agree that it is not consistent with the system of PSNP and also with the other ribbon (that only respects <5% (so UR plats) is respecting PSNP's way).

- I agree a lot with @TheYuriG in regards to the option to see and hide the ribbon system that could be used by everyone.

- I also think you should respect @jonads_ post since he makes a good point of stacks that are inconsistent in giving an effort ribbon. Maybe for consistency wise there need to be a look at what to do with stacks and this system.

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 3