The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!   

520 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

• 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, jonads_ said:

I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this but, what is going to be done about region or platform stacks? They inevitably are going to have different rarities and so, some games near thresholds are going to have some stacks that get a ribbon and others not. That seems a bit arbitrary, no?

I'll use Cyberdimension Neptunia as an example:

This game has 5 stacks: NA, EU, KR, JP, and what Google translate suggests is a Chinese version.

NA currently sits at 34.74%, EU at 43.79%, KR at 47.66%, JP at 50.75%, and Chinese at 63.73%

So, right there you've got 3 stacks getting an 'effort' ribbon and 2 not. Not to mention the fact that the difference between highest and lowest is 29 (28.99)%. Let me say that again...

29%

Another quick example is the first Attack on Titan game. 3 stacks: NA 3.41%, EU 4.88% and AS 7.69%

Again, 2 stacks getting a ribbon and 1 not. It all just seems a bit arbitrary and rewards you more based where you live as opposed to what plats you get.

Of course this doesn't effect the non-plat 100% ribbon and the Totality ribbon but, they aren't the focus here are they? The point of these ribbons seems to be to weed out the 'EZPZ' plats and in doing so it's created a system that's effectively saying the exact same game with the exact same trophy list requires more effort (Cyberdimension) or more skill (AoT) to acquire the plat depending on where you live. That seems like a broken system to me.

I'm sure at least one person sees the point I'm trying to make. I just hope it's the right one...

Essentially, a game stack should count as 1 game, with the average percentage being what you get towards the ribbons. Based on how many games of said stack you've done, not the total itself.

This is extra work Sly would never do, but I agree with you. If you want to make the stupid ribbons "matter" this is how it should be done.

48 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

Essentially, a game stack should count as 1 game, with the average percentage being what you get towards the ribbons. Based on how many games of said stack you've done, not the total itself.

This is extra work Sly would never do, but I agree with you. If you want to make the stupid ribbons "matter" this is how it should be done.

How would that make sense to penalize people for stacking a game? Surely if you only count one of the stacks it should be the one with the lower rarity.

For example if you do just Tera, that's a 4% UR so you get a ribbon of rarity. What you're suggesting is if someone stacks Tera (AS) on top of it, then they lose the ribbon of rarity because Tera (AS) is a 21% uncommon, so the average becomes like 12%.

Perhaps would be better to fix issues and finish up what has been started (e.g. game series) and then implement new features, such as extra badges.

Second, these badges are based on trophy rarities which are currently inaccurate and non-uniform across all the games in PSNP database.

Most of the issues mentioned here haven't been addressed and auto-updates are still broken. At this point, there would be no value in these badges.

• Like 2

@BlindMango Have you considered the impact when viewing on mobile? The top bar is already full of icons/text on mobile and takes up the entire width. Adding more icons would either cause the pages to stretch or the icons to overlap/be squished. This site already isn't the most mobile-friendly (works great on desktop, of course), but this could make it worse.

Anyway, I don't care much either way, since normally I just scroll down a little to see if I immediately see a bunch of stacks of games-that-shall-not-be-named, and move to another profile if I do, or browse more if I don't. But I voted yes since most people seem to want to see that kind of information at a glance, which is fair enough.

However I do think this suggestion is important:

On 02/08/2019 at 9:13 PM, TheYuriG said:

For the third question, I voted "yes" to customizing but on user side. I want to be able to hide everyone's, including my owns and I want everyone with the setting on to be able to see everyone's, including their own. Make it two way, either you disable for everyone, including yourself, or you let it active the same way.

Other than that, I'm all in for more features in the site.

If this was implemented, then I see no reason why anyone would oppose the idea, since they can pretty much just ignore its existence. And those who do care should be able to see the stats everywhere since I doubt they only want the idea implemented purely for their own page.

• Like 2

I’m for it - it’s fun and meaningless, like trophies are?

I’d also like to propose a ribbon for non-stackers, though I only see it as a “negative” marker (“has stacked X games”).

I personally actually enjoy visual novels, POWGI, Rata, Artifex Mundi, and don’t see a problem with people playing them (but yes, platinum before completion is silly). I do get slightly perplexed at people who “play” the same game six times. I mean, I question my life choices, but theirs... Wow.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

I would also add the "Ribbon of Drama" if you don't mind, please.

Might be the only ribbon the "I don't care about trophies but my trophy card is in my signature" crowd would put any effort toward.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

So if I understand it correctly, games like Aabs AnimalsSuper Kids Racing or Astrology and Horoscope Premium gives you this ribbon, just like VVVVVV, Trials Fusion or Futuridium EP Deluxe?

Exceptionally bad idea, either make non-platinum games on par with games with platinum (Ribbon of Effort - ALL games with completion rarity 50/75% and lower, Ribbon of Rarity - ALL games with completion rarity 5% and lower) or don't make it at all.

I agree showing your completed non-platinum games (or games you completed 100% with all the DLC) is fine idea, but I would prefer to have a possibility of putting it into the trophy cabinet than having an additional icon on profile.

Aabs Animals isn't even a game. It's just watching a kitten on a crappy screen for 5 minutes. Boom. You're done.

Stuff like that deserves nothing.

A few 100 percent games/collections I have done, such as Mega Man 10, Mega Man Legacy Collections 1 & 2, and Limbo deserve a Ribbon of Effort, or a Ribbon of Perseverance since I had to bust my ass to get the trophy for dying less than 6 times in Limbo and of course the aggravating Mr Perfect trophy in Mega Man 10.

Those took more effort to complete than a lot of platinums I have on my account.

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't see a problem with this if you're using an official cutoff, like 50%. A player's platinum count will show how many total platinums they have, the Ribbon of Effort shows how many of those are uncommon, and the Ribbon of Rarity shows how many are ultra rare. If you go with 75%, I feel like you are purposely targeting a certain group of games (at which point, you might as well just add a Ribbon of Rubbish, because at least your intentions would be clear).

75 percent is too much and anything that hovers at that percentage doesn't deserve anything. A few point and click games and some kids games are around 60 - 75 percent, all you need for those platinums is to watch a guide on YouTube or read a detailed text walkthrough.

None of the TellTale Games should have any Ribbon attached to them. There's no effort involved whatsoever since you're watching an interactive movie for many hours. A few of their games, like their older titles like Back to the Future: The Game have missable trophies, and The Wolf Among Us and the final season of The Walking Dead have missables that you need to keep a lookout for. But for the most part their games are simply beating the story and getting the platinum trophy afterwards.

54 minutes ago, VirtualNight said:

I would also add the "Ribbon of Drama" if you don't mind, please.

36 minutes ago, Sofa King said:

Might be the only ribbon the "I don't care about trophies but my trophy card is in my signature" crowd would put any effort toward.

Or you can just play games the way you see fit and don't give a damn about any ribbons let alone trophies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonads_ said:

I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this but, what is going to be done about region or platform stacks? They inevitably are going to have different rarities and so, some games near thresholds are going to have some stacks that get a ribbon and others not. That seems a bit arbitrary, no?

I'll use Cyberdimension Neptunia as an example:

This game has 5 stacks: NA, EU, KR, JP, and what Google translate suggests is a Chinese version.

NA currently sits at 34.74%, EU at 43.79%, KR at 47.66%, JP at 50.75%, and Chinese at 63.73%

So, right there you've got 3 stacks getting an 'effort' ribbon and 2 not. Not to mention the fact that the difference between highest and lowest is 29 (28.99)%. Let me say that again...

29%

Another quick example is the first Attack on Titan game. 3 stacks: NA 3.41%, EU 4.88% and AS 7.69%

Again, 2 stacks getting a ribbon and 1 not. It all just seems a bit arbitrary and rewards you more based where you live as opposed to what plats you get.

Of course this doesn't effect the non-plat 100% ribbon and the Totality ribbon but, they aren't the focus here are they? The point of these ribbons seems to be to weed out the 'EZPZ' plats and in doing so it's created a system that's effectively saying the exact same game with the exact same trophy list requires more effort (Cyberdimension) or more skill (AoT) to acquire the plat depending on where you live. That seems like a broken system to me.

I'm sure at least one person sees the point I'm trying to make. I just hope it's the right one...

Each trophy list is its own thing, and the simplicity of that ribbon is it simply a reward for 50% completion or below, all else not a factor. Even though a trophy list can be an exact copy of another one, it's a different region with different players and an opportunity to get the ribbon in one case where there may not the opportunity in another case. I understand the idea of linking repeat lists together and have thought about it myself, however ultimately this would make the system a lot more complicated and confusing. What is "If it's 50% or below, it gives you this ribbon" turns into "If you get a platinum trophy with a rarity of 50% or below, you get a ribbon (Unless the list is part of a stack of lists, then if you get higher than 50% you still get the ribbon if another region is lower than 50%)." So it would need to be on a list by list basis rather than grouping a particular percentage from a different region with the same title, because dealing with Sony's lack of organization with trophy lists is already enough of a headache lol.

2 hours ago, Kristycism said:

@BlindMango Have you considered the impact when viewing on mobile? The top bar is already full of icons/text on mobile and takes up the entire width. Adding more icons would either cause the pages to stretch or the icons to overlap/be squished. This site already isn't the most mobile-friendly (works great on desktop, of course), but this could make it worse.

I've thought about mobile scaling, and it seems like it can be fixed by just tightening the spacing between each item on the top bar, changing font sizes, among other things.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

It’s not the end of the world but its a waste of resources and its feeding a pathetic behavior.

It’s participation in the sense of for example writing any kind of guide, which is much more useful.

I find funny how indignant you all look, everyone here has the right to vote and declare their own opinion, if you don’t share it fine but that doesn’t mean you hold the truth as to say “I don’t understand GeeEEZz, you all Ratailakas”.

Dont get me wrong i'd love to see a backlog and whitelist miles before this, I just find it funny how some people are getting really salty over this. 

• Like 3

I like the idea of emphasizing number of ultra rare/very rare/rare platinum trophies in different ways. Having a ribbon leaderboard lets you sort all players by number of urare plats, which is a desirable feature that we don’t have yet. Maybe it pushes people to try harder plats they otherwise might have avoided. I would check that leaderboard more often than the volume leaderboard we have now (I’m aware that I wouldn’t be amazingly ranked on either board). 

It would be really nice if Sony recognized how severely their lack of quality control is being exploited by devs, but I doubt it ever happens. 

9 hours ago, Kristycism said:

If this was implemented, then I see no reason why anyone would oppose the idea, since they can pretty much just ignore its existence. And those who do care should be able to see the stats everywhere since I doubt they only want the idea implemented purely for their own page.

There are dozens of folks against the idea on the other thread if you want to take a look at that. I personally don't care too much, since I rather have updates on the site that I won't use than no updates at all.

• Like 3