The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!   

520 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

• 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

• Yes
    • No

16 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

If people feel less uncomfortable have ribbons for each platinum rarity that's fine too. It's a shame it's necessary as plats were supposed to denote a certain level of difficulty or industry anyway, but I do feel we are at the point where this site adding such a thing is helpful. I know I can just go into each of my games and hunt down the plat rarity, but it's s faff. I don't see how people could object to this without having to object to the bronze, silver, gold and plat trophy demarcation too.

That may of been the case 10 years ago. Nowadays practically ANYTHING can get a platinum. Then when something like Sonic Mania or HITMAN 2 comes along without a platinum, people bitch, moan and complain that they won't get a platinum trophy for their efforts.

It's just ridiculous. I would of bought Sonic Mania even if it didn't have any trophies or achievements at all because I'm an old school Sonic fan. The new Sonic stuff I can take it or leave it.

Looking at the plat rarity is pretty simple. You just filter out everything but the platinums you've earned, and it will give you a column of the platinums you have with their rarity. You don't need to sift through a lot to get to it.

I think 75% cut-off is a bit more reasonable than 50, as it blocks out all the shitty Ratalaika stuff whilst also still counting visual novels and point and clicks (for the most part), which can take a very long time if you actually play them as intended instead of skipping all the text. I'd be fine with using 50 instead though if that's the majority opinion, because that still cancels out all the Ratalaika too and doesn't reward the dirty people who skip VNs instead of even giving them a chance.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, madbuk said:

I think 75% cut-off is a bit more reasonable than 50, as it blocks out all the shitty Ratalaika stuff whilst also still counting visual novels and point and clicks (for the most part), which can take a very long time if you actually play them as intended instead of skipping all the text.

The same goes for the POWGI games. Play those normally and you're easily looking at 25-30 hours for them. Those are exactly the games that are targeted here though, as most sit at above 95% because stackers use guides for them.

(By the way, nothing shows your intentions of wanting the ribbons better than calling the games shitty and the people who use guides or click through VN's dirty. The ribbons are not just some fun extra fluff and are sure as hell not meant like that either.)

I think we also have to think about unwanted side effects. Because sure, you can release those cats on the island with the rat problem, but will you end up with a cat problem instead? It's an interesting thought experiment to find all the potential negative effects an even greater focus on rarity could have. I can name at least 3 I think.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

That may of been the case 10 years ago. Nowadays practically ANYTHING can get a platinum. Then when something like Sonic Mania or HITMAN 2 comes along without a platinum, people bitch, moan and complain that they won't get a platinum trophy for their efforts.

It's just ridiculous. I would of bought Sonic Mania even if it didn't have any trophies or achievements at all because I'm an old school Sonic fan. The new Sonic stuff I can take it or leave it.

Looking at the plat rarity is pretty simple. You just filter out everything but the platinums you've earned, and it will give you a column of the platinums you have with their rarity. You don't need to sift through a lot to get to it.

Sure, but if it was just there on my profile card thing, with no need to go sort my games by platinum and then eyeball each rarity level, it would be better. Obviously.

12 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Sure, but if it was just there on my profile card thing, with no need to go sort my games by platinum and then eyeball each rarity level, it would be better. Obviously.

Still it's fairly simple. Trophy Log allows you to filter out everything but platinum trophies and can set their rarity. Very useful for accounts with over 10,000 trophies.

33 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Useful maybe, better than a simple count on one's trophy card? Clearly not.

That's what the ribbons are supposed to do.

All it takes is a few mouse clicks. People who don't want to do that are just lazy.

18 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That's what the ribbons are supposed to do.

All it takes is a few mouse clicks. People who don't want to do that are just lazy.

Yes, I was describing the ribbons. And you can call people lazy all you want for wanting basic quality of life improvements like this, but you can't get around the fact that it is faster and simpler with zero downside. Not sure why you are arguing against such a simple and convenient thing to be honest.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

When did the buck pass to the users? It's not my job to sort out this fucking website.

• Like 3

On 8/6/2019 at 3:07 PM, Cassylvania said:

It does seem like a lot of problems would be solved if you were simply awarded a ribbon for each rarity (e.g. Ribbon on Commonality, Ribbon of Uncommonality, Ribbon of Rarity, and Ribbon of Ultra Rarity). Those names aren't great, but I did like that one idea someone suggested of awarding a bronze ribbon for common platinums, silver for uncommon, gold for rare, and platinum for ultra rare. That accomplishes the same thing as the proposed system, without intentionally excluding games for arbitrary reasons.

The side bar module makes more sense than the already cluttered top bar.

And, really, all those side bars should be customizable, since this topic clearly shows that not everybody values trophies the same. Let the users use that area to show off what they want people to see on their profiles "at a glance."

Don’t we already have the rarity assigned not only on psn but on the site? Rarity doesn’t always mean the same thing as difficulty. A game could be complete trash critically, so many may not choose to play it, and therefore make it rare. Why are we rewarding that again?

I do expect an opt out option. I didn’t sign up for this kind of thing when I paid for premium. Frankly, only the people that pay for the website should get a vote in my opinion since we paid for one thing and this is another beast.

Edited by VoidVictorious
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

Don’t we already have the rarity assigned not only on psn but on the site? Rarity doesn’t always mean the same thing as difficulty. A game could be complete trash critically, so many may not choose to play it, and therefore make it rare. Why are we rewarding that again?

I do expect an opt out option. I didn’t sign up for this kind of thing when I paid for premium. Frankly, only the people that pay for the website should get a vote in my opinion since we paid for one thing and this is another beast.

Yes, rarity is already visible if you click on your profile, then click for plats only, then scroll down and make note of the rarity of each plat...as such, I guess the simple quality of life improvement of having a count for different levels of rarity on the main card shouldn't be controversial in the slightest.

And it also means that, yes, you did sign up for it when you paid. As you said, it's already all in the stats of the site and always has been.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

This ribbon system to me feels more like a ''get a ribbon for every game you play that isn't Ratalaika''

I like the idea of a ribbon system. I think they should be rewarded on rare occasions though. Like one ribbon for every plat that's below 5% and one ribbon where the plat is over 5% but the 100% is below 5%. The amount of ribbons every profile will get kind of devalue the whole ribbon idea. If this is supposed to reward people achieving greatness why hand them out in the hundreds. Will there be milestones so I can see others ''1337 ribbon''. Ribbons are a great idea to counter the devaluation of the trophy system, I just have a feeling the ribbon system will be just as devalued within 2 years if they are handed out to easily.

• Like 3

Let's stay on topic and talk about the Ribbon system (had to get rid of a lot of posts). If we only wanted premium members to have an opinion, we would have made it that way. Everyone who uses the site's opinion matters on this and can leave their thoughts and votes here. End of discussion.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes, I was describing the ribbons. And you can call people lazy all you want for wanting basic quality of life improvements like this, but you can't get around the fact that it is faster and simpler with zero downside. Not sure why you are arguing against such a simple and convenient thing to be honest.

9 hours ago, dj_helyx said:

When did the buck pass to the users? It's not my job to sort out this fucking website.

It takes less than 30 seconds to do with decent internet. It's easy to use, your argument is basically that not being on the front page.

The Ribbons should categorize what the more rarer platinums you've obtained are. That's why I voted for the Ribbons to be less than the 50 percent threshold. Anything above that I feel is much too easy.

I'm sorry but that's your own fault for not taking 30 seconds or less filtering your Trophy Log. Next thing we know there's going to be an option to one - click everything, because people can't handle more than one simple mouse click in order to get what they want.

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Let's stay on topic and talk about the Ribbon system (had to get rid of a lot of posts). If we only wanted premium members to have an opinion, we would have made it that way. Everyone who uses the site's opinion matters on this and can leave their thoughts and votes here. End of discussion.

If we can opt out that’s all I really want. I don’t support this system and I don’t want these ribbons on my profile. If there is an option to exclude them completely from my profile everyone else can do what they want. That’s pretty fair considering several members have requested the same thing, right?

On 8/7/2019 at 5:15 AM, mekktor said:

I have hated pretty much everything about the original ribbons idea and what it stands for, but I could get behind something like this 100%. This alternative idea gives pretty much the same information (more even) but without singling out a certain types of games (or gamers) as being unworthy, and like you said, arbitrarily.

Well ok, not quite 100%. I'm not a fan of those names. How about just calling them bronze/silver/gold/platinum ribbons? Maybe that would be too confusing, I don't know.

I agree that the big problem is that the ribbons and the rarity they are based on is sometimes completely random. Sometimes it is a good idea to look at what Sony did. Sony became transparent about the rarity and it didn’t devalue anyone’s effort or work. Rarity generally has nothing to do with skill needed to attain a trophy. Rarity can include factors like glitchy trophies, server closures, and smaller and unknown games. I can get behind the idea if we can opt out completely and they are only used as flair for one’s profile. Having a leaderboard and stats within one’s own profile fulfills the purpose that these things are trying to achieve.

26 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

If we can opt out that’s all I really want. I don’t support this system and I don’t want these ribbons on my profile. If there is an option to exclude them completely from my profile everyone else can do what they want. That’s pretty fair considering several members have requested the same thing, right?

See question 3 on the poll. 77% of people agree with you which makes me think there will be a way to toggle it off. It was one of the first complaints by members about it when it was suggested.