The Ribbon System • Part 2

READ THE MAIN POST BEFORE VOTING!   

520 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Ribbon System be Added to PSNProfiles?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Voting Again: What should be the MAX percent limit for the Ribbon of Effort?

• 50% (This is the cutoff between common & uncommon rarity)
    • 75% (While more vague, this will include games like Spider-Man)
  3. 3. Read Post First: Should a profile owner be able to customize their 2 ribbons shown in the top bar (Including being able to not display them?)

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

It takes less than 30 seconds to do with decent internet. It's easy to use, your argument is basically that not being on the front page.

The Ribbons should categorize what the more rarer platinums you've obtained are. That's why I voted for the Ribbons to be less than the 50 percent threshold. Anything above that I feel is much too easy.

I'm sorry but that's your own fault for not taking 30 seconds or less filtering your Trophy Log. Next thing we know there's going to be an option to one - click everything, because people can't handle more than one simple mouse click in order to get what they want.

Going down the route of advocating for people having a worse UI and user experience, for no reason, and calling them lazy, isn't really the best argument.

But I'm fine with only having one ribbon at 50%. Not as good as having that that and others obviously, but fine too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dzstrpc said:

This ribbon system to me feels more like a ''get a ribbon for every game you play that isn't Ratalaika''

I like the idea of a ribbon system. I think they should be rewarded on rare occasions though. Like one ribbon for every plat that's below 5% and one ribbon where the plat is over 5% but the 100% is below 5%. The amount of ribbons every profile will get kind of devalue the whole ribbon idea. If this is supposed to reward people achieving greatness why hand them out in the hundreds. Will there be milestones so I can see others ''1337 ribbon''. Ribbons are a great idea to counter the devaluation of the trophy system, I just have a feeling the ribbon system will be just as devalued within 2 years if they are handed out to easily.

This is a fair comment. I would like a ribbon for each rarity but, honestly, if there was a ribbon as you suggest for very rare plats this would be fine too.

Incidentally, I don't personally like ones for rare 100% trophies as it requires me to buy DLC, often for games I would no longer have by the time of their release. Still, I can see how it would be very nice for completionists so I support that too. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, mackenzie129 said:

Spiderman on ps4 not a effort ribbon

Tell tale game of thrones is effort ribbon wut

Spiderman is clearly headed for <50%.  So, everyone against this should be sure to get that argument in while there's still time to do so.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Can't we just keep it simple and have an "Average Platinum Rarity" percentage? If no platinum's earned then the figure is omitted. You could even colour code the percentage the same as the rarity band it sits in. Mine is around 11.24% at the moment.

bxtT0Py.png

Kind of off topic, but this could fix two problems in one go. The "average trophy rarity" stat is just as stupid as the ribbon. An average plat rarity could fix both problems simultaneously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Only issue I have with using an average is that it will penalize people who do both rare and non rare stuff.

For example, Person #1 has plats at rarity 1%, 2%, 3%, 90%, 90% and Person #2 has plats at rarity 1%, 2%, 3%.  Which is better?  Or are both about the same?

I still think just counting based on whatever cutoff people can agree with would be better and penalize less (people already seem to think it's a penalty to just do the counting, but averaging it would truly make it so).  Put another way, going for a very common platinum wouldn't add anything (but also wouldn't subtract anything) under the original proposal, but if you average it, then it's a large negative to do so.

100% true, but there's no use of pointing that, as most people here think profile is trash as soon as you put a cheap platinum on it, no matter how many hard platinums you earned.

Small table to compare, 3 exemplary profiles with 10 platinums with exemplary rarity:

1. 5% 1. 27% 1. 2%
2. 5% 2. 27% 2. 2%
3. 10% 3. 27% 3. 2%
4. 10% 4. 27% 4. 2%
5. 20% 5. 27% 5. 2%
6. 20% 6. 27% 6. 2%
7. 40% 7. 27% 7. 2%
8. 40% 8. 27% 8. 66%
9. 60% 9. 27% 9. 95%
10. 60% 10. 27% 10. 95%

Which profile is the best? Average platinum rarity of each profile is equal.

I know, the third example may be somewhat ridiculous and exaggerated, as most hardcore trophy hunters don't go for super easy plats. But it'd still hurt people who likes to earn trophies of different rarities.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 8:07 PM, Meeryn said:

No, this is a system designed to foster elitism ( which in itself, not my issue )

So is it fair to me my effort is now no longer valid because other players use a guide?

I wouldn't be happy if my effort was invalidated simply because a guide is available. 

( Destiny's flawless raider trophy; I did this when it was a 3%, now it's an 8% platinum - do I get credit for for doing it when it was really hard? ) and Conan Exiles.  Is it fair you're going to exclude all legit players who pour in hours upon hours to earn platinum because plenty of other people have no qualms with using admin mode to pop every trophy from spawn?

First of all, it's nobody's fault you didn't use a guide from the start. If you're not using resources, then that's a decision you've made. If you wanna drive cross country without a GPS or a map, more power to ya.

Secondly, validating a person's actions does not invalidate the actions of another person. We each place our own value on things, so just because I used a puzzle guide and you dredged through it for days doesn't devalue your effort. If you don't feel accomplished for doing a 3% rarity platinum after it drops in rarity, then that's on you. You shouldn't project your own personal issues on the community.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Only issue I have with using an average is that it will penalize people who do both rare and non rare stuff.

For example, Person #1 has plats at rarity 1%, 2%, 3%, 90%, 90% and Person #2 has plats at rarity 1%, 2%, 3%.  Which is better?  Or are both about the same?

I still think just counting based on whatever cutoff people can agree with would be better and penalize less (people already seem to think it's a penalty to just do the counting, but averaging it would truly make it so).  Put another way, going for a very common platinum wouldn't add anything (but also wouldn't subtract anything) under the original proposal, but if you average it, then it's a large negative to do so.

Penalize? Jeez it's just a stat, if you have platinums on your profile then you already have an average, the figures are there if you want to calculate it. Whether you choose to look at it or not is your choice.

What is this question, which is better? Why are you assuming that if the average is lower than it is better? If you care about rarity then you can actively lower it by playing a game with a platinum that is rarer than your average rarity, that's all there is to it.

Some people would look at a profile and be interested in the number of plats, others rarity, it's just another analytical statistic.

Personally I don't care whether this stat is added or not, I use it on my spreadsheets so it doesn't matter if it's here or not. I only suggested it because in my opinion the ribbon idea, whilst well fleshed out has started to feel more convoluted as it's gone along.

5 hours ago, Copanele said:

So um..since this thread was revived again, let me ask the truly uncomfortable question.

When will this thing be implemented and will it actually be implemented after all? xD I mean I like the numerous banters but in the end... are we getting this or not?

It's all mental masturbation...just don't tell the proponents that...they get a mite testy 

5 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Well Sly would have to implement it into the site, so my guess would be 2062 at the earliest, so not a long wait :P 

Always refreshing to see a mod have a subtle dig at the owner ?

How does this process even work in terms of communication though?

I can understand why Sly ignores 99% of the people on here but what about a senior mod and large contributor to the site?

• Like 2