Is the DLC region locked?

Aecesaje_

This game is currently for 20$ in Amazon and I'm thinking on buying it. My problem is that I live in Europe and the copy I will get is American and I don't know if the European DLC will work with this copy of the game. 

I know that the PS4 is region free but the online stores aren't making some DLC unplayable between regions

DLC is region locked in 99% of cases and Spiderman is no different, thus the game and DLC must come from the same country. In your case, you will need a US PS account to buy the DLCs since your copy will American and the EU DLCs won't work with it. To be honest, you would be better off waiting for the EU version to go on deep sale instead of faffing around with the US release.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

DLC is region locked in 99% of cases and Spiderman is no different, thus the game and DLC must come from the same country.

Then I guess I need a Portuguese copy, luckily I have access to a copy from a friend of mine but I will probably still buy the game for my collection. Saves from different regions are compatible right? 

Just now, maiathewinners said:

Then I guess I need a Portuguese copy, luckily I have access to a copy from a friend of mine but I will probably still buy the game for my collection. Saves from different regions are compatible right? 

Nope, saves are region locked as well in virtually all cases so will almost certainly have to start over from scratch if you buy a copy from another country/region.

• Like 2

Yup all game DLC are region locked so your R1 disc won't recognized the DLC that you buy from R2 store, however there's a workaround you can create US PSN account so that you can buy the DLC for your R1 disc. I have accounts from 4 countries (US - R1, Britain - R2, Malaysia - R3, & Australia - R4) just so that I can buy any disc from any region without worrying about DLC incompatibility problem. 

Edited by pokwey
Addendum

• 8 months later...
On 3-8-2019 at 3:44 PM, pokwey said:

Yup all game DLC are region locked so your R1 disc won't recognized the DLC that you buy from R2 store, however there's a workaround you can create US PSN account so that you can buy the DLC for your R1 disc. I have accounts from 4 countries (US - R1, Britain - R2, Malaysia - R3, & Australia - R4) just so that I can buy any disc from any region without worrying about DLC incompatibility problem. 

This answer is very helpful. Thank you. I won a R4 copy and was about to ask if I could buy the EU region DLC, but now I know for sure it will lead to incompatibilty.

On 03/08/2019 at 3:18 PM, maiathewinners said:

This game is currently for 20$ in Amazon and I'm thinking on buying it. My problem is that I live in Europe and the copy I will get is American and I don't know if the European DLC will work with this copy of the game. 

I know that the PS4 is region free but the online stores aren't making some DLC unplayable between regions

This is what I do:

I have two accounts: one from Europe and one from the US. 

If I buy an European game, then I exchange the voucher and download the content in my European account but play in the US account (main account).

It has always worked for me, I live in Europe btw.