Firefighter mission glitch? (Fires not appearing)

mkh515

Ok so I'm going for the platinum..I haven't started the story yet. I got all the hidden packages, Cone Crazy for $10MM, Sea Sparrow exploit for "Take the Cannoli", and I figured I'd get all the R3 missions out of the way before starting the story. I just finished Paramedic, now I'm on Firefighter, using the Firetruck from the Downtown Fire Station. I press R3, "FIREFIGHTER" pops up, the minimap goes blank...but no fires spawn. Nothing on the minimap, no timer, nothing. I press R3 again and it cancels as normal, but every time I try it, this happens. Is this a known glitch? Do I have to unlock the west island to start these? I've tried re-loading my save, and closing and restarting Vice City. I really don't want to start a new file and re-collect all the hidden packages. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Edited by mkh515

Yeah, you aren't able to complete Firefighter on the West Island at the beginning of the game because fires will not spawn over there until the island has been unlocked.

If you want to do Firefighter early, it can be done on the East Island even though there isn't a Fire Truck spawn over there. When you complete the "Kill 30 Gang Members in 2 Minutes" Molotov Rampage near the lighthouse towards the south east of the island (see this picture), a Fire Truck will spawn once you've thrown a few Molotov's and set fire to a few things (like this). You can then take this Fire Truck after you've completed the Rampage and fires will spawn over on this island when you activate Firefighter.

Hope that helps :)

• 1 month later...

Best area for firefighter 12 mission is Northern Downtown area near the stadium.

Another tip I just found for myself:

If you take a piece of scotch, electrical or medical tape and put it on the :circle: it will hold it down allowing you to free up some dexterity and a finger for this mission.  You will have constant spray without the hassle of using that finger.  I found it much easier doing this... try it and youll see. :D

Edit:  I just tried duct tape as well and that seems to work best so far.  If your button gets sticky after that just use rubbing alcohol so get the residue off.

Edited by BemusedNContused