Should you buy it full price or wait

Lonemankane

Should you buy games at full price or wait?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should you buy games at full price or wait

I have been thinking about getting a few games as of late and well just thought I ask what you all think. Do you think buying a game full price is good or should waiting for it to drop down be better?

I only thought of making this topic as I have been thinking about getting borderlands 3 and outter worlds along with alan wake if it comes and doom 64 if that comes too. But at the same time am second guessing and thinking should I wait. I mean kh3 I got day 1 and I loved it then after say 2 or 3 months it dropped from full price of £50 to £35 brand new. And there have been times games have been stuck at the big full price range for months up to a year such as red dead or god of war 2018 so on and yeah.

I like to know what you all think and I hope to know what your thoughts are as I normally don't buy full price due to being abit out there for my range of dosh I got at the time and so on. I mean I have a friend who is willing to help me get borderlands 3 and so on but yeah. Like to know your thoughts as it could help me make a choice. 

Edited by KANERKB

All I can say is how I approach the whole thing :

-If there's a game I have been waiting for a LONG TIME / it's part of a franchise I am obsessed with (Best  examples being God of War and Devil May Cry 5, waited 11 years for dmc5 in this case) -> instant preorder OR bought at full price no matter what. That is because I KNOW I will love this game and complete it 100% and discover every inch, nook ,cranny or combat posibility.

-In any other case , I am waiting for a discount. I already have alot of games bought and since Sony always throws with various discounts each month I am in no rush.

Hope it helps. But normally if you second guess...don't buy it, wait for a discount. Else you wouldn't second guess in the first place xD 

I buy games full price that I want to play immediately (Sekiro, Dead Cells, etc...). I will happily pay full price if it's a game I've been anticipating and wanna go straight to it asap. 

But if I'm anyways playing other games, I just put games I wanna buy eventually on my wishlist and get them whenever they go on sale. For example, I know I wanna play Enter the Gungeon, but I have already a couple of games installed on my system that I want to play as well (plus the ones I'm currently playing). If I run out of games to play (ha!) and I haven't seen EtG on sale yet, I'll buy it full price. But if I'm not gonna play it right now, I can just wait and see what happens. 

Edited by Arcesius

2 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I buy games full price that I want to play immediately (Sekiro, Dead Cells, etc...). I will happily pay full price if it's a game I've been anticipating and wanna go straight to it asap. 

But if I'm anyways playing other games, I just put games I wanna buy eventually on my wishlist and get them whenever they go on sale. For example, I know I wanna play Enter the Gungeon, but I have already a couple of games installed on my system that I want to play as well (plus the ones I'm currently playing). If I run out of games to play (ha!) and I haven't seen EtG on sale yet, I'll buy it full price. But if I'm not gonna play it right now, I can just wait and see what happens. 

Do you have an US account? EtG is on sale right now. :ninja:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Ah ok, I mean I waited along time for borderlands and yeah the only thing slowing me down well not sure if I will love it, I mean take kh3 I thought it wont be good as I waited too long but it is good not as I thought but fun and I enjoyed it not fully down beat but worth the money I say.

8 minutes ago, skateak said:

Depends in your personal backlog. If you don't have many games and want to play something new, i'd say go for it. If you have hundreds of games, purchased years apart, you might want to start those first. 

I have a lot in my backlog most part just games I finished just not platted yet and so on just yeah.

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

ah but do you at all take a game and say to yourself you will make space to play and so on?

I generally rent physical games rather than buy them at any price. There's no need to buy it for upwards of £40 when I can just spend £7 to play it as much as I'm ever going to. Once I've completed a game, it's rare for me to ever go back to it these days. There's just so many other games I'm interested in playing.

I only buy games for full price if it's part of a franchise that has consistently given me great experiences, or the game looks amazing and is already under £20 at full price

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

I generally rent physical games rather than buy them at any price. There's no need to buy it for upwards of £40 when I can just spend £7 to play it as much as I'm ever going to. Once I've completed a game, it's rare for me to ever go back to it these days. There's just so many other games I'm interested in playing.

I only buy games for full price if it's part of a franchise that has consistently given me great experiences, or the game looks amazing and is already under £20 at full price

ah well here they have not had any store where you can rent games in along time last game store to do it was gone and before that blockbusters was the jam for it but yeah nowadays it is up in the air

Just now, KANERKB said:

ah I don't use the web to buy games mostly like going to stores in person and so on. I know it is old hat but I like it that way mostly, as I see what I get and so on.

This isn't buying though, it's renting, and they have every physical game

They send it to you in the post and you use the same envelope to send it back using a post box

• Like 1

I buy games I really want to play immediately at full price. I even pre-order games that I don't want to miss out on playing as soon as possible; I assume every pre-order will be Fallout 76 levels of bad but I still get the titles I want. Life is no fun if you don't take any risks.

If my coffer is a bit empty, I'll wait for sales on games I feel iffy about and games that have been out for a while. I'm also impulsive when I see games on sale. I'll buy games I was never planning on playing just because they're cheep. It usually works out well for me.

• Like 1

If a game is from one of my favorite franchises, I'll buy it immediately at full price. I'm planning on buying Ninja Saviors, Trails of Cold Steel III, XIII, Doom 64, & Doom Eternal at launch. Maybe also the new Modern Warfare. Sometimes a game I didn't even think about for $60 at release gets my attention when it comes down in price by at least $20.

• Like 1

With the very rare exception I never pay full price. I have enough games in my backlog that I am never out of anything to play. And since I don’t play MP, waiting for a price drop saves me a TON of money. As an added bonus the games have by then been fully patched (thanks day one full price paying beta testers!), I can probably move straight from the base game into all dlc releases, etc. 

I should also add that every game I did pay full price for, or even bought a new console for, have without exception been disappointments for me. Maybe I expected too much, don’t know. Lower price also means that I find it easier to get my money’s worth even if a game is just okay. Does that make sense?

Edited by Sifferino
  • Like 1

"Should" you?  That's entirely up to you.  If you want to pay full price, have the money to, and like the idea of supporting the developer of said game or just think getting a game ASAP is a fun idea... then I say go for it.  I'll pre-order a few games a year personally, though I'll probably take break from that for a while just to build the bank account up again after some recent expenses.  There's nothing wrong with waiting for a cheaper price and probably a more complete/patched version of the game though... in fact it makes a ton of sense to do that.

What I don't like is those who aggressively argue against paying full price.  It's not a "stupid" thing to do.  (Not that anyone here is saying that, but speaking generally since many do feel that way.)  Games/franchises/dev studios often live and die on launch week sales, so the people pre-ordering and buying day one are the ones keeping this whole thing going.  And that includes good publishers/developers that deserve the success and sales too, not just the bad ones.  I get why people wait and save money, or are frustrated with the state a lot of games get released in nowadays and wait on principle... but vehemently insisting that others shouldn't buy games at full price or insulting them for doing so is biting the hand that feeds IMO.  Just appreciate that people do so you don't have to, and these quality games can be there waiting for you whenever you choose to buy them.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I always wait due to my massive backlog and tighter wallet. I never used to wait for games like FF and Pokemon as a kid, as it was my parents that bought them. But now as a working adult with not much time to game which has led to a big backlog, bills to pay and other random things like petrol and tax (that I didn't have as a kid with no responsibilities, and also having to fork out cash from my own bank account), gone are my days of buying collectors ed and day one releases, and now waiting for price drops and buying used games have become the norm for me. 

I realised that it was pointless paying full price now. I actually feel so good when I bag a bargain game, it's like an adrenaline rush compared to guilt feeling of blowing away cash on a full price one. 

• Like 1

Income is all its about. If you can afford full price games and afford every other great stuffs in life like icecream, m&ms, bubblegum; then go for it.

Depends on the game for me. If it’s a franchise I really like I get it Day 1 even if I know I won’t get to it for a while

if its it’s a game I’m on the fence about I usually wait till it’s about 30 or more

i have stacks and stacks of unplayed games and I keep buying more lmao

I usually wait though there’s a few exceptions (The Last of Us part II, a new GTA release, Elder Scrolls), either due to hype or just wanting to know the story before it gets spoiled. There’s a lot of other series/games which I enjoy a lot but can happily wait even years for the price to go down because I’m not quite as invested.

I regret paying full price for Battlefront II as its cheap nowadays and I ended up not liking it as much as the first because it lacked features. So I try to not let hype get to me too much anymore. 

Because of things like YouTube, social media, and the such, buying a game at full price is very rarely worth the effort.

If more people would just wait a few weeks or a month then they will be able to buy a game that is better optimized and better fine tuned. Why is this they ask? Because a lot of games nowadays, particularly AAA games I find to be unfinished on release date.

Someone who isn't sure about an upcoming Ubisoft game can wait a month or two before buying. Even if they have no intentions of doing the DLC, it helps to wait because there will be updates, patches, bug fixes and so forth that make the game run better, look better and have more features added onto it to make it more of a full experience.

I only buy full price anymore close to release date if a new indie game or at least a game that is niche that I was interested in for a good long while opens to rave reviews and it's already something that stimulates my interests. Most AAA games anymore you can just wait for new updates, a lot of people will still be playing them with the new content.

Back in the Playstation 2 days and early Playstation 3 days you were pretty much guaranteed the full game with no additional content, and if this was a game that you already had your eyes set on then you couldn't go wrong buying full price. Nowadays with the amount of shit that gets crammed in today's AAA games and given the sheer size of them (typically going anywhere from 50 GBs to sometimes just under 100 GBs of memory), you'll probably be better off waiting a bit.

Even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt had a lot of updates and changes, including one 18 GB update that changed a lot of the quests and even the interface. The game when fully updated is drastically different from when it launched in 2015.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I realised that it was pointless paying full price now. I actually feel so good when I bag a bargain game, it's like an adrenaline rush compared to guilt feeling of blowing away cash on a full price one. 

High five! Same ?

• Like 1