Best non AAA games for PS4

Rafinha_Mikinha

Depends on the kinds of games you look for, but here are a few I loved.

- Dust: an Elysian Tale

- Rainbow Moon & Skies

- Gucamelee 1 and 2

- Crypt of the Necrodancer

- Magika 2

- Knights of Pen & Paper +1

- Dead Cells

- The Talos Principle

- The Witness

- Overcooked (1&2)

- Stardew Valley

- The Swords of Ditto

- The Sexy Brutale (fantastic puzzle game)

- Resogun

• Like 4

I can agree on magika 2, havent played the others on the above list. Just to add a few, Little Nightmares (no plat but amazing), Pyre, Shadow of the Beast, and Chasm, are a few I can certainly recommend. To be fair I dont know if any of these are AAA or not, just not the most popular titles I suppose.

• Like 1

I don't think Stardew Valley is underrated since everyone is waiting for the multiplayer update. Though I agree with Stardew Valley and Sleeping Dogs. I also highly reccomend Hollow Knight, great game but can be difficult at times. Though it has a beautiful scenery from a 2D side scrolling metroidvania, also the OST is amazing! I also absolutely loved White Day:a labyrinth named school, the game is a horror survival and the platinum is tedious but I enjoyed every moment of it. 

Since you are specifically asking for "underrated" games, lemme mention two..

• Hollow Knight
    This is probably because the game released on PC and Switch a while back and way before it came to PS4, but putting the EU and NA versions together, we have only ~15k owners (on this site). For a game that even on release only was only 15 bucks, and which turned out to be one of the best metroidvanias ever made (with according review scores), this is still a waaaay too low of a number. More people should play this game, it is simply fantastic. Great atmosphere, challenging and fun combat, cryptic lore... 

• Hyper Light Drifter
    Seriously? Not even 4000 owners? I loved every second I spent with this game. The visual style is fantastic, the gameplay is rock solid and the game overall is just a ton of fun. Fairly short, let's be honest, but really well put together. Give this one a go! 

Other than those, I really would recommend Furi, Crypt of the NecroDancer or Little Nightmares... depending on what type of game you're looking for, obviously :) Those can not be considered "underrated" by any means, however.

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

I will add one more vote for Hollow Knight. I cannot recommend the game highly enough. It's simply a masterpiece of game design. I was obsessed with the game for 2-3 months, reading/watching/consuming every piece of media done about it. Since I've played it, everytime a friend asks me to recommend a game for him, Hollow Knight has always been the answer.

It's a metroidvenia with heavy emphasis on combat. It can be tough and slow early on but stick with it and you'll be rewarded with a great experience. You will easily get 30+ hours of amazing content for very little amount of money. It's being sold for 15 dollars/euros and I've seen it go on sale for 50% twice so far. After experiencing the game, I would've payed full price for it and wouldn't think twice about it.

If you do buy it, do yourself a favour and play it blindly.

No Time To Explain. It’s a short game, only costs a few dollars, but it’s a funny, creative game that reminds of flash games back in the day. The premise is you have this sort of light-beam gun that you use for platforming by blasting yourself everywhere. A little bit like Fancy Pants Man (if anyone remembers those games haha). Plus, cool hats to wear! :D

Only about 1300 people have played the game, which is a shame because I enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Arcesius said:
  • Hollow Knight
    This is probably because the game released on PC and Switch a while back and way before it came to PS4, but putting the EU and NA versions together, we have only ~15k owners (on this site). For a game that even on release only was only 15 bucks, and which turned out to be one of the best metroidvanias ever made (with according review scores), this is still a waaaay too low of a number. More people should play this game, it is simply fantastic. Great atmosphere, challenging and fun combat, cryptic lore...

I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few more like myself who have it in our backlogs but haven't started it yet. :ninja:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few more like myself who have it in our backlogs but haven't started it yet. :ninja:

I bought a physical copy but the thought of having to clear a boss rush of like 20 something bosses in a row for the plat scares me

*Zero Escape Series (Zero Escape: Nonary Games is game 1 and 2, Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is game 3) - It's a mixture of escape room puzzle gameplay and an excellent whodunnit story that carries through all 3 games. 

*Super Time Force Ultra - Side-scrolling, time bending action shooter. You can rewind time to fight alongside past versions of yourself that you previously controlled or bring in another member of your squad to change the timeline by killing the enemy that kills one of your guys to add them back to your roster to use. It can get pretty bananas with how many past incarnations of yourself you are fighting with, it's co-op with yourself.

*Hatoful Boyfriend - Inside this parody of dating game simulators is a truly engrossing, black heart once you get to the final tale it tells. If you don't care much about game stories then it would not be the game for you as that is all the gameplay is, making story choices.

*Type:Rider - If you've ever wanted to learn about the fascinating history of the printed word while you're completing a puzzle platformer, then I have the game for you.

*Titan Souls - Sort of like a 2D Shadow of the Colossus. You die in 1 hit and they die in one hit, and it's a puzzle to figure out how to take them down.

*Rogue Legacy - One of the better Rogue-likes from someone who doesn't generally like rogue-likes. Failed runs generate currency which you can use on persistent upgrades, or if you like the current layout of the map, you can pay money to lock it in place and run it again after you die. The central unique mechanic is once you die, you get to choose one from a few of your descendants to play next which get randomly assigned with a variety of buffs and debuffs. 

*Don't Die, Mr. Robot - A simple looking, but very fun, arcade style game. You are confined to a small square arena as enemies pass through it and the room fills up with fruit. Touching fruit causes it to detonate, which kills any enemies in range and chain detonates any other piece of fruit in the blast radius, which ups the multiplier. So the goal is to avoid enemies while avoiding touching fruit as long as possible to increase your score when you do finally explode the entire screen.

Edited by Guardian_owl

Lower popularity (less than 10,000 owners on PSNP)

• Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Director's Cut
  • The End Is Nigh
  • Slime-san
  • Snake Pass
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon Trap

Higher popularity (10,000+ owners) but they fill the "Best non-AAA games" requirement:

• Downwell
  • LittleBigPlanet 3 (it's an AAA series but developed by indie studio so it theoretically counts)
  • Shovel Knight
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Unravel
  • Velocity 2X
  • Yooka-Laylee
  • The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
Edited by Spinosaurus Rex
  • Like 1

Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Enter the Gungeon, Hotline Miami, The Binding of Isaac, Bastion, Transistor, Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, Moonlighter, Stardew Valley, Limbo, Inside, Little Nightmares, Journey, Gone Home, What Remains of Edith Finch, Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Axiom Verge, The Messenger, Owlboy, The Witness, etc. All are pretty well received indie titles that I hear a lot of good things about, or have fallen in love with myself

• Like 2

Unravel
The Witness

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Life Is Strange

The Talos Principle

Unravel Two

Styx: Shards of Darkness

Little Nightmares

Ghost of a Tale

Styx: Master of Shadows

Rime

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Soma

Song of the Deep

Inside

Edited by geunc
  • Like 2

I an going to throw in a few games too:

- Burly Men at Sea

- Late Shift

- Oxenfree

None of these is particularly hard, but each is IMHO very original and well worth playing. If I had to choose just one I would pick Oxenfree. Just awesome: story, art style, everything.  I also love the art style, humor & origins of Burly Men at Sea. Late Shift is a FMV game that I really enjoyed, so many branching paths. 

• Like 1

Furi is my favourite indie game I've ever played and certainly didn't get the reviews it deserved although it does have it's fans. It's very difficult, a boss rush game with excellent controls/gameplay and music. Transistor did come close to being my favourite as well. And I would also very much recommend Contrast; has great atmosphere and is a simple puzzle game where you transition between 2D and 3D gameplay in the world. Also really underrated.

Edited by olliebear66t
  • Like 2

Hellblade (goooooosebumps! play with headphones)

Flame over

Dont starve

overcooked

Transistor (one of the best games I have ever played with also a fantastic soundtrack)

Beat saber

cat quest

persona dancing

Let it die (very fun and challenging free to play)

Aer

resogun

putty squad

Everybodys gone to the rapture

lovers in a dangerous spacetime (great coop!!)

entwined

talos principle

dust an elysian tail

• Like 1