Worth Purchasing Vita Still?

RealCheato

10 minutes ago, StressEater said:

To be completely honest, I regret buying my Vita. I bought it a few years back to play one of my favorite game franchises. After that, I think I have played a total of 3 games on it. I feel like it was a waste of money. It's hard to find physical games and I hate downloading games for it because there is no room on the thing unless I want to dump more money on bigger memory cards.

Did you not buy any memory card at all for it? Or have you tried to use it for Remote Play?

I too have a lot of free time at work and have played my Vita a lot there. It's probably won't net a ton of trophies, but a platinum is a platinum. 

I wouldn't get it for anything multiplayer, though. If you can figure out how to remote play your ps4, you could also try using a Vita for that. 

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Did you not buy any memory card at all for it? Or have you tried to use it for Remote Play?

No I did not buy one. I only have the 8gb one that I think came with it. I was planning to buy the 64 but it just seemed a little pricey. So I guess its mostly my own fault. 

I'm one of the proud owner of PS Vita. Having a few of 'em, no regrets at all & not planning to sell any 1 of them for now.

Is it worth getting Vita in 2020? My answer in 2 different perspectives:

1. As trophy hunter: It's a must have. A lot of stacking Platinum

2. As a normal gamer: Uncharted Golden Abyss, UMVC3 & SFxT already gave me enough reason to get a Vita.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StressEater said:

No I did not buy one. I only have the 8gb one that I think came with it. I was planning to buy the 64 but it just seemed a little pricey. So I guess its mostly my own fault. 

8 gb should be enough to hold several games, even if one is significantly large (for a Vita game.) I wouldn't recommend the 64 if you end up picking one up, they're known to crap out. I have a 16 in my PSTV and a 32 in my Vita and they're large enough to not worry about space. However I generally only have the game I'm playing installed, possibly another game installed if I'm almost done with the game I'm playing, and rarely a third game if I'm looking to boost it irregularly.

Either the 16/32 should work for almost all people. Unfortunately, some people are used to having the Library of Congress ready to go on their console (even if they only play 3-4 games a month) and want their Vita to do the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

8 gb should be enough to hold several games, even if one is significantly large (for a Vita game.) I wouldn't recommend the 64 if you end up picking one up, they're known to crap out. I have a 16 in my PSTV and a 32 in my Vita and they're large enough to not worry about space. However I generally only have the game I'm playing installed, possibly another game installed if I'm almost done with the game I'm playing, and rarely a third game if I'm looking to boost it irregularly.

Either the 16/32 should work for almost all people. Unfortunately, some people are used to having the Library of Congress ready to go on their console (even if they only play 3-4 games a month) and want their Vita to do the same.

I am the same way with only having the game I am working on downloaded. But, truth be told, I can not seem to find any good games for it. I scrolled through the Playstation store a few dozen times but never seemed to see anything that interested me. With the controls and feel of the Vita, I have a hard time playing anything strenuous like first person shooters or fighting games. It just does not feel right in my hands and I keep feeling like I am going to break it. I mostly try to play strategy games like Civilization (which was a lot of fun on the Vita).

6 minutes ago, StressEater said:

I am the same way with only having the game I am working on downloaded. But, truth be told, I can not seem to find any good games for it. I scrolled through the Playstation store a few dozen times but never seemed to see anything that interested me. With the controls and feel of the Vita, I have a hard time playing anything strenuous like first person shooters or fighting games. It just does not feel right in my hands and I keep feeling like I am going to break it. I mostly try to play strategy games like Civilization (which was a lot of fun on the Vita).

Civ was great on the Vita. I see you have Xcom and like Civ, you down download the demo of Disgaea 4 and see if you like that. It's a turn based strategy game perfect for the Vita.

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Civ was great on the Vita. I see you have Xcom and like Civ, you down download the demo of Disgaea 4 and see if you like that. It's a turn based strategy game perfect for the Vita.

Thank you for the recommendation. I need to bust out the Vita and dust it off a little. I will download it right now and check it out later tonight when I get time. Yeah, I love the Xcom games. I remember first playing it on the PC when I was just a kid. Not more than maybe 12 years old. Not sure if you had a chance to check out The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It was released on the PS3 and was a first person shooter. Very easy platinum, compared to the other Xcom games. But, it was actually kind of fun. I enjoyed it at least. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Anyone know where to find one? I keep checking local sellers and they are all hacked . . . not sure what that means in the way of getting trophies. USA resident

check out EBay, they go for relatively cheap I just picked one up a few days ago

14 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Anyone know where to find one? I keep checking local sellers and they are all hacked . . . not sure what that means in the way of getting trophies. USA resident

They've got new ones at Play Asia, but they are expensive AND it might be wise to wait a little bit since post offices in the world are shit atm. 

I've actually been trying to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I live in Dubai and you can't find the VITA in any retail outlet, and Amazon (and other e-commerce giants here) are all selling brand new Vita's for $550, which is just ridiculous to me.

Most of the local 'used' ones are all either CFW or damaged.

And with today's current world situation, not sure if it's wise to try to import one from Ebay/Play Asia just yet ?

I'm more concerned for the games, since there isn't any 'region swap' for stores, does the digital store have a good selection? (I have a Canadian PS Account) 

I'd rather not shell out another fortune to import physicals if possible.

1 hour ago, Rello-Evante said:

I've actually been trying to find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I live in Dubai and you can't find the VITA in any retail outlet, and Amazon (and other e-commerce giants here) are all selling brand new Vita's for $550, which is just ridiculous to me.

Most of the local 'used' ones are all either CFW or damaged.

And with today's current world situation, not sure if it's wise to try to import one from Ebay/Play Asia just yet ?

I'm more concerned for the games, since there isn't any 'region swap' for stores, does the digital store have a good selection? (I have a Canadian PS Account) 

I'd rather not shell out another fortune to import physicals if possible.

Importing from Play Asia shouldn't be an issue. Delivery just takes some time atm. Alas, the Vita itself is very expensive. https://www.play-asia.com/games/playstation_vita/consoles/all_models/14/711zz#fc=s:2|3

Canadian store has a lot of Vita games. Best to browse the store before buying a Vita to ensure there are enough games you're interested in.

I found one for $180 with a 16GB memory card, charger and uncharted! (Last uncharted id need to plat to complete them all!) it works great 

I’ve fully charged it once, yesterday and it’s working like a charm. Now when my gf plays apex i can play the vita! 

I bought one recently to play a couple games (Ratchet and clank and Jak & Daxter collections, as well as crossbuys and maybe some JRPGs down the line) and enjoyed it enough to justify the cost to me. Find I have a bit more disposable income these days so I didn't mind spending roughly 250$ AU. It was a bit of a pain to buy though, you can't buy them in physical locations here anywhere but EB Games who I didn't really want to trust, not that I have reason to distrust just didn't want to get a bad one. EB also had pretty much no stock of memory cards and you don't get one with the refurbished purchases. I ended up watching Ebay for a week or two and settling on one that came with the original box, there were a few Jap sellers that sold 2002 models with the nicer colours for pretty good prices (100-150$ AU) however feedback on their pages made me nervous so I passed on them. The one I did buy unfortunately came with a broken right analog stick and had some drift issues in the left stick which sucked, fortunately I managed to arrange a refund with the seller. After searching Ebay again I managed to find another one that was basically the same price as the first and also came with the box, this one luckily has had no issues so far and I'm really happy with it to this point.

As to those worried about buying one with CFW I might be wrong but that shouldn't be a problem should it? AFAIK if you do a full factory reset it should get rid of the CFW. If that doesn't work I'm sure there is another method though possibly not as simple. I would just not connect your account to it till you have made sure to remove the CFW.

I think it was worth it for me. I got a refurbished one on sale on Black Friday so the discount made it easier to make the jump. I bought one because I started traveling for work and I wanted something to do on planes or in hotels. My work travel has obviously been halted this year but I usually end up playing for an hour or so in bed most nights.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the best handheld I've ever owned (3DS probably second), the library of games for it - particularly visual novels and JRPGs - is amazing. I've literally just popped a Platinum on it about ten minutes ago, I'm away for two weeks at my girlfriend's family so have this and the Switch for gaming and having a great time.

First time I am gonna say NO at this point. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic handheld and I loved many Vita games and they had such an huge impact on me. However, nowadays it's way too hard to get games for a reasonable price. There are no sale in the PSN store anymore and even buying the games used can be super expensive. Paying full price in the store for games that old is just ridiculous. On top of that you have to buy the overpriced memory cards and get the console itself in a good condition. It just got too expensive to buy a vita today.

Worth it, but compared to Nintendo it makes me jealous to see so many Switch digital games sales in many cases for like 1$. Byuing used Vita is easy and cheap (just boaught my 4th Vita with game and 8GB card for 80 EUR locally), but digital sales and physical sales make it much more expensive than Switch or PS4, although tons of games are not on Switch, but on Vita But if you have money or have games from PS Plus its definitely a fun and comfortable to play anywhere console. I play mine every few days.