worst post game grind ever

Bullet Girls Phantasia has an insane grind. I've worked on that one off and on and I'm taking a break from it now. Getting all the materials is just insane.

But this one is bad. I'm grinding out to level 80, getting Level 10 Mastery, and a few miscellaneous trophies right now and it's so boring. It's been said before, but what makes it so bad is it's just unnecessary. The grind required for the platinum is longer than it takes to beat the game itself, so it feels incredibly pointless. Other games with a big grind like Stardew Valley are at least a joy throughout the entire experience. This feels tacked on and hollow. Makes me wonder if they're going to come out with (paid) DLC to flesh it out later. That and to try to bait people into buying the microtransactions. If they do come out with DLC, I won't be getting it. 

As for the core experience, my roommate and I played through it and I did have fun there, moreso than seemingly most, but that doesn't excuse the poor design on the post-game. (If you even want to call it that).

On 8/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Elegy said:

This game's grind may not be the longest as I finished in less than 50 hours, but it just isn't fun at all.  The loop this game offers is pointless.  Having to farm all those silver coins to buy gun mods you don't even want to use since you can only use one set of mods at a time feels so pointless.  Farming your mastery up with weapons that aren't worth using that have severe ammo limitations is not enjoyable either.  However, the main issue with this game is that it lacks content and the plat requires you to play the same things over and over that were not that fun the first time due to them ruining everything that made Wolfenstein what it is.

The gameplay is slow with the RPG mechanics they introduced and the two ammo types they decided to force you to swap between to penetrate armor is just tedious.  It is so arbitrary in what type of armor each gun penetrates and the block armor has less options for some reason.  The girls have very irritating personalities that you can't relate to at all and the game cannot be taken seriously in any way as it feels like they are trying to turn it into Borderlands with over the top, unbelievable characters.  The level of immersion this game offers compared to The New Order is just terrible.  It just isn't a great entry into the Wolfenstein series and thus the trophy set that requires you to grind the game for many hours beyond the story content feels a lot worse than it is.

There will be people who don't mind the game or defend it as with anything, but I'd take the Monster Hunter grind over this any day.  A fun game that has a rewarding gameplay loop is always going to feel more worthwhile even if it ends up being more time.  For me, this game doesn't check those boxes.

The New Order and The Old Blood were both excellent reboots of a franchise that was long thought to be dead. But ever since Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus I have had my doubts about MachineGames, especially the upcoming game they're going to make starring BJ.

Wolfenstein 2 focused far too much on stealth, and the fact BJ is practically stuck at half health for a large portion of the game is ridiculous. This forces the player to be a lot more stealthy when I think the gameplay was more about just releasing carnage and blowing Nazi soldiers to smithereens. I never once considered the Wolfenstein series to be a stealth series. Plus the story has an uneven balance of melodrama and comedy, and caters a lot to social justice warriors seeing how political the game tries to get.

The New Order had the right mixture of drama with a sprinkle of comedy here and there. The characters were believable and you can relate to BJ and his companions seeing the suffering they had to endure in an alternate post World War II timeline where the Nazis win. Wolfenstein 2 goes a bit over the top and if you want the platinum you have to beat Mein Leben difficulty, which is obnoxious and aggravating. Plus there in game cutscenes that you CANNOT SKIP, which makes the no death run attempts even more annoying.

The Wolfenstein: Youngblood trailer was awful. The girls are annoying, and based on what I've seen from gameplay on Twitch and YouTube I will not be buying this game for quite some time. Probably not for a year or two at least.

Let's hope the next Wolfenstein game with BJ will redeem itself a little.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, Spaz said:

The Wolfenstein: Youngblood trailer was awful. The girls are annoying, and based on what I've seen from gameplay on Twitch and YouTube I will not be buying this game for quite some time. Probably not for a year or two at least.

If that part refers to the price you're willing to pay for it, you won't have to wait long.

I've seen it go second hand, deluxe with unused buddy passes for sub $20 here. (it was around $50 new, a normal AAA game is regularly $90 here)

the game is meh and in current state only fun if you play on easy (mainly due to ridiculous sponginess)

Honestly I played it only with a friend, on easy, we skipped all the cutscenes that came out because the backbreaking cringe already listening to the pep signals "Duuuude let's kill them sum-btch nazi's bruh, yeeeee!" was too much. But for a 15 hour run with a friend and decent gunplay ( minus enemy sponge, hit detection, ammo design and the infuriating shield system and the "story") I'd call it worth 10 americamoneys/euromoneys. But only if you play with a friend, the AI is borderline re*arded.

Maybe I'll even platinum it if the 1.05 makes any difference.... Seriously, 100% game completion, all combat/collectible related trophies, all miscellaneous  - total silver collected 65/138k necessary, total weapons mastered 1/however many there are and not even the most used rifles.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, Spaz said:

The New Order and The Old Blood were both excellent reboots of a franchise that was long thought to be dead. But ever since Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus I have had my doubts about MachineGames, especially the upcoming game they're going to make starring BJ.

Wolfenstein 2 focused far too much on stealth, and the fact BJ is practically stuck at half health for a large portion of the game is ridiculous. This forces the player to be a lot more stealthy when I think the gameplay was more about just releasing carnage and blowing Nazi soldiers to smithereens. I never once considered the Wolfenstein series to be a stealth series. Plus the story has an uneven balance of melodrama and comedy, and caters a lot to social justice warriors seeing how political the game tries to get.

The New Order had the right mixture of drama with a sprinkle of comedy here and there. The characters were believable and you can relate to BJ and his companions seeing the suffering they had to endure in an alternate post World War II timeline where the Nazis win. Wolfenstein 2 goes a bit over the top and if you want the platinum you have to beat Mein Leben difficulty, which is obnoxious and aggravating. Plus there in game cutscenes that you CANNOT SKIP, which makes the no death run attempts even more annoying.

Let's hope the next Wolfenstein game with BJ will redeem itself a little.

I still haven't decided to do Wolfenstein 2, but I kinda gathered that they began to turn the game into more of an over the top experience where immersion doesn't matter anymore.  I am just tired of games and movies making me feel like every situation is just a setup for a one line joke.  I will always enjoy a game if the gameplay is good, but it is nice to get immersed into a game world beyond just enjoying the gameplay.

I would not recommend playing Youngblood until its very cheap and hopefully they will rework the game mechanics or the grind to be a bit less tedious before that happens.

11 hours ago, Elegy said:

I still haven't decided to do Wolfenstein 2, but I kinda gathered that they began to turn the game into more of an over the top experience where immersion doesn't matter anymore.  I am just tired of games and movies making me feel like every situation is just a setup for a one line joke.  I will always enjoy a game if the gameplay is good, but it is nice to get immersed into a game world beyond just enjoying the gameplay.

I have played every game in the series (including the mediocre 2009 game) up until Youngblood and I definitely prefer The New Order and The Old Blood to the old games. They’re fun to play, The Old Blood was just challenging enough and short enough to be fun. 

Wolfenstein 2 can’t decide whether it’s over the top or trying to immerse you into the story. For story reasons you wear a power suit but because BJ is crippled you’re stuck at half health. 100 percent health only works if you overpower yourself. 

Things do get better later on so at least there’s that.

Early on you meet a pregnant African American rebel who hates white people and the Nazis while at least two or three characters in BJ’s group of rebels try to provide comic relief, with mixed results. There’s a cutscene or two where they literally try to throw a one liner. So am I supposed to take the story a bit more seriously because the Nazi threat took over America, or is this all over the top where I can forget all the bad things that happened? 

The story is up and down throughout the entire game, much more so than it was in The New Order. 

Games like The Order: 1886 and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt have excellent acting with great drama. I was completely immersed in their stories. But sometimes I just want to forget the problems of society and have fun with some over the top gameplay. 

Personally I don’t like it when games try to get overly political, and that’s what Wolfenstein 2 was doing. However Youngblood just sounds like they tossed out any story immersion and good gameplay in favor of bullshit mechanics forcing you to play far beyond its worth because it’s trying to be a RPG. It shouldn’t try to be like Borderlands.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Livingstone7728 said:

Do people even play video games for fun anymore?! Doesnt seem like it... if you don't want to grind 30 hours post game because it's repetitive... dont? 

you just started the game. enjoy your 30+ hours of grind when you get there. then come back, read the message you posted and maybe reflect a bit on it and then quote me with a straight face and tell me youre still having fun. i know fun is subjective and all, but fact is the gameplay loop sucks. if you set your standards that low in regards to what you think the definition of fun is, then it doesnt surprise me developers get away with this shit.

enjoy the game. ;) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

you just started the game. enjoy your 30+ hours of grind when you get there. then come back, read the message you posted and maybe reflect a bit on it and then quote me with a straight face and tell me youre still having fun. i know fun is subjective and all, but fact is the gameplay loop sucks. if you set your standards that low in regards to what you think the definition of fun is, then it doesnt surprise me developers get away with this shit.

enjoy the game. ;) 

I feel like you're missing the point.... if the grind is so unbearable... dont do it.... everyone is so concerned with trophies that even after it stops being fun or appealing they keep going... I dont get it.

2 hours ago, Livingstone7728 said:

I feel like you're missing the point.... if the grind is so unbearable... dont do it.... everyone is so concerned with trophies that even after it stops being fun or appealing they keep going... I dont get it.

Because for some of us getting trophies is fun in and of itself, in addition to the fun the game provides separate from the trophies. So we're upset that the grind is making it so hard to get this extra bit of fun. Yeah I can not do it, and I'm still considering that, but I still want the plat.

8 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I don't understand why people come on to this website, a website dedicated to trophy hunting, and have a go at people for trophy hunting. Sure, if you don't like a game you shouldn't really bother playing it but that's just not how it works for a trophy hunter. If it was that easy then this website wouldn't be as popular as it is.

Anyway, I finished this game last night and whilst I initially enjoyed it quite a bit, the pointless grind left a sour taste in my mouth. I am a big fan of the Wolfenstein series, including The New Colossus AND I'm even a supporter of the Mein Leben trophy, despite not yet achieving it, because there's a point to Mein Leben, its a trophy that requires skill (and albeit, a lot of luck) whereas most of the trophies in Youngblood are utterly pointless. Youngblood's endgame grind only serves to show that the game is shallow and has very little content.

Machine Games have a lot to answer for and hopefully, they get their shit together for Wolf3.

I'm about 5 or 6 hours in and I'm quite enjoying the game.... I finished NC but left the Mein Leben as well as one other one that glitched (get one of every collectible and yes it actually glitched... as told by my other trophies of getting all the collectibles) and It really doesnt bother me... I think if I enjoy the whole game through like I have so far... and the grind starts to ruin it for me... I'll call it a day

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Livingstone7728 said:

I'm about 5 or 6 hours in and I'm quite enjoying the game.... I finished NC but left the Mein Leben as well as one other one that glitched (get one of every collectible and yes it actually glitched... as told by my other trophies of getting all the collectibles) and It really doesnt bother me... I think if I enjoy the whole game through like I have so far... and the grind starts to ruin it for me... I'll call it a day

Well, good for you. Be sure to come back here and let us know what you think once you're a bit further in. 

On 9/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, jonesey46 said:

Well, good for you. Be sure to come back here and let us know what you think once you're a bit further in. 

I finished the game this afternoon and I have to say i quite enjoyed it... there were some new features that i wasn't a huge fan of, mainly the armor types... but other than that it was alot of fun... still getting collectibles and side questing but thouorghly enjoyed the story and the game up until this point maybe almost as much as NC... (i'm not saying it's as good as nc, just that i had as much fun playing it) 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, Spaz said:

I have played every game in the series (including the mediocre 2009 game) up until Youngblood and I definitely prefer The New Order and The Old Blood to the old games. They’re fun to play, The Old Blood was just challenging enough and short enough to be fun. 

Wolfenstein 2 can’t decide whether it’s over the top or trying to immerse you into the story. For story reasons you wear a power suit but because BJ is crippled you’re stuck at half health. 100 percent health only works if you overpower yourself. 

Things do get better later on so at least there’s that.

Early on you meet a pregnant African American rebel who hates white people and the Nazis while at least two or three characters in BJ’s group of rebels try to provide comic relief, with mixed results. There’s a cutscene or two where they literally try to throw a one liner. So am I supposed to take the story a bit more seriously because the Nazi threat took over America, or is this all over the top where I can forget all the bad things that happened? 

The story is up and down throughout the entire game, much more so than it was in The New Order. 

Games like The Order: 1886 and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt have excellent acting with great drama. I was completely immersed in their stories. But sometimes I just want to forget the problems of society and have fun with some over the top gameplay. 

Personally I don’t like it when games try to get overly political, and that’s what Wolfenstein 2 was doing. However Youngblood just sounds like they tossed out any story immersion and good gameplay in favor of bullshit mechanics forcing you to play far beyond its worth because it’s trying to be a RPG. It shouldn’t try to be like Borderlands.

have you tried the VR one? I pre-ordered it.... and it was unplayable the day i got it... the hands only worked half the time... hopefully they updated it 

2 hours ago, emailking said:

The VR game worked just fine with me, both with the Dualshock and the move controllers. I didn't start playing until it had been out for several weeks though. I would try to update and if that doesn't work, delete and reinstall.

I played 1.0 and more often then not the "hand" ended up behind me ?

35 minutes ago, Livingstone7728 said:

If you're playing the game to have fun and be immersed in the wolfenstein universe... the post game grind is not nearly as long and not nearly as tedious... if all you care about is getting trophies.... you're gonna have a bad time

And you would know this how? Forgive me if I'm wrong but judging from your trophy list you haven't even attempted the grind yet, how can you comment on how the grind is if you haven't done any of it yet?

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Livingstone7728 said:

If you're playing the game to have fun and be immersed in the wolfenstein universe... the post game grind is not nearly as long and not nearly as tedious... if all you care about is getting trophies.... you're gonna have a bad time

OK, so I've played it exclusively with a friend. Summer drought was pretty bad and the game seemed ok and I went in with low expectation after TNC was a disappointment and the trailers were meh for me, it can provide some fun for 5-10 hours IF - you play on easy, play co-op and only for the running through the story and the shooting mechanics when they work. (Whom the incredibly pointless armor system screws)

The story is... there isn't any. It's terrible there is no "immersion" whatsoever. Characters are terrible, setting is terribly executed (read: run through the same 3 areas 50 times), enemy respawns become annoying, the sponginess, floating, invisible barriers, invincible enemies, difficulty spikes all of that - make the game far worse than it has any right to be.

After 10-15 hours MAX it has no content, right, endgame, fun to keep players in. And you require another 20 hours to do some of the most tedious and pointless grinding you've even seen - I can't see the immersion for even the most diehard Wolf fans. To put this in perspective regarding my view of the modern reiterations - TNO was amazing, TOB even better - I platinumed both. TNC I found very mediocre and boring with gimmicky feel to the shooting and movement and haven't even finished it. And this POS that sunk any goodwill a lot of people had for MG/Wolf future I sure as hell won't even touch.

I'm gonna have to vote that this is not the worst post game grind ever...unpopular opinion : I kind of enjoyed it...i like the gameplay quite a bit and I'd like to share my experience to perhaps lighten the load on some...bear in mind that I think the turnoff for most was that it seems they were trying to rush the trophies solo...can't comment on how enjoyable this is as that was not my approach nor do I have tons of hours available for gaming on a daily basis...

first off, I highly recommend the deep pocket perk that allows you to store all the hammer weapons and the ammo upgrade, both in the muscle category I believe...i also recommend going for dieselhammer kills as early as possible...check it periodically and see how full if is...if full, use it up and then check the other hammer and kraftwerk weapons and repeat with all...

next up, co-op...i played the story and all missions with a friend on easy first time around (we got slaughtered by the first boss on normal and switched it down)...we then did a 2nd run on challenging where I cleaned up all the collectibles..both very good and unique in terms of play style...after this I was kind of like "what do I do now?"...

the guide here seems to focus on solo play and repetitive grinding, which is fine...although it probably is the fastest method, i tried this for coins but found it pretty stale after repeating the first two sections of the first mission stealthily about 5 times...so I tried the "quickmatch" option and it brought back all the fun...i basically finished up most of the rest of the trophies this way...

the majority of players I linked up with were either halfway through the story or just starting to do the side missions after completing the story which gives some pretty good payouts compared to repeating missions...i would log on, do the daily/weekly challenges for a bit of fun (the rewards are menial) then quickmatch it up...

there were a couple times where I couldn't find anyone online so I just zipped through all the levels and undergrounds in order hitting up all the crates (having the perk which makes them appear on the minimap helps), killing all the enemies, and completing any objectives that came up...i'm guessing this is not at all the fastest way to plat but it was pretty fun since play style would vary depending on who my partner was...

another thing I noticed was that the guide says you need level 80 or something to get all abilities...this is incorrect if you do quickmatches since many (maybe all?) of the side missions give an ability point...due to this, I was able to buy all abilities at level 65...

I have to say I did enjoy the gameplay but was a little disappointed in the deluxe edition contents and the lack of missions for a full price game...$55 cad here...with only 6 replayable missions and very limited content afterwards I did feel that the trophies were a little pointless in the sense that it felt like a full list for half a game...but worst post game grind ever?...nope...boring as heck if you try to grind for hours solo to earn the trophies as quickly as possible?...likely, yes...

Edited by ProfBambam55

On 9/18/2019 at 0:18 AM, Radford999 said:

Has anyone reached level 50 in GT Sport? Do that and then come back here and tell me Wolfenstein Youngblood is the worst post game grind ever lol. 

you already know what youre going into with a  game like gt or a jrpg for that matter. wolfenstein was never grindy so in terms of wolfenstein games then young blood is huge grind.

• Like 1