Walmart remove game signs but still sell guns

Maaden_Swe

After a shooting at a Walmart in El Paso the company have now sent out a message to all their stores. Remove signs showing violent games, turn off demo stations of violent games and cancel events where violent games was gonna be played. 

But they keep selling guns. 

Isnt the logic of the world fascinating sometimes. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/749784950/walmart-bans-violent-imagery-but-not-gun-sales

Edited by DaivRules
Adding source and corrected title
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Maaden_Swe said:

After a shooting at a Walmart in El Paso the company have now sent out a message to all their stores. Remove signs showing violent games, turn off demo stations of violent games and cancel events where violent games was gonna be played. 

I added a source and corrected the title. They were instructed to remove signs and displays, not games themselves. 

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/09/749784950/walmart-bans-violent-imagery-but-not-gun-sales

• Like 1

Doesn't this remind you of Prohibition in the 1920s and early 30s?

The US government tried to censor the vice of consuming alcohol, but it didn't work because the mob made a profit from unlicensed liquor sales.

It sounds as if Trump's MAGA administration are heading the same way over computer games. Lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commander Waffles said:

As usual, Walmart is only concerned with losing money.  If they stop selling guns, they'll lose money.  So the easy way out:  remove video game signs.

Sad.

And of course they still sell the video games so it isn't like they are even concerned about those. This is literally the least they could beyond just doing nothing

1 hour ago, Feral said:

Well unfortunately not everyone that owns or has access to guns is like you. Mental health issues aren't restricted to the US and yet no other developed country is dealing with this insane amount of shootings every year. It's gets to a certain point where you've gotta admit that guns are a big part of the problem. 

Feral stop spouting logic and facts...those have no place when it comes to guns.

• Like 3

If the Boston terrorist attack(demostic or not, they were trained out of states) told us anything, if it's not guns it could be something worse. And if KyoAnimation told us anything, a large loss of life can happen with easy access to gasoline.

I think we need to have more in response to if your mentally capable of owning a gun. Amongst a few other things maybe.

But even if you got rid of every registered gun(there would still be unregistered guns let's not pretend), people will find a way to kill a lot of good people in a short period of time. It's horrible, and sad, and I hate it, but that's the truth. I don't think many would argue against that.

And that's my online politics for the month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Feral stop spouting logic and facts...those have no place when it comes to guns.

Ha ha ha ha my bad. Have to revise what I said, "guns good, very good. Mental health real problem, back to lobotomies and shock therapy. Everything fixed now."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

IT ISN'T VIDEO GAMES CAUSING THE VIOLENCE!!

Maybe, oh I don't know, it has something to do with the state of our world right now?! We're constantly under threat, and the fact we have a president that has a big mouth and likes to push buttons whenever he can, doesn't help. Maybe 2019 varies wildly from 1776? People aren't responsible with their guns anymore, anything that goes wrong or against their beliefs, the only solution left in their mind is to walk into public and start blowing everyone away. And don't blame it on mental illness, enough of that crap. His gun was legally registered and bought, and anybody with a history of mental disturbance is not allowed to legally purchase a gun. So throw that excuse out. 

"Blame video games". RIIIIIGHHTTTT. A video game never killed anyone. 

• Like 1

OMG, the logic of the world can be so twisted.

It's clear that either Trump doesn't understand, or he's looking for an all too convenient scapegoat. The latter case sounds more believable. It's a long-established fact that he is beholden to the NRA after all, so what better way is there for him to avoid ticking them off than shifting the blame?

Trump's temperament is unsuitable for the presidency. It's too much fire, not enough sugar... or maybe no sugar at all. Surely, a POTUS should be more cordial & not so confrontational. As Martha Stewart would have said on her edition of The Apprentice, "Donald, you're just not working for us".

Instead of laying the blame on violent video games/music/movies, why not require more stringent background checks for gun/ammo buyers with maybe a waiting period? Gun laws could use some tightening up. But before that happens, we'll probably need new leadership. And with that said, let's hope President #46 makes their way to the White House in 2021.

So... what video games did Cain, Milarepa (before he repented & became the Buddhist reverend Jetsun Milarepa), Jack the Ripper, the Hillside Stranglers, & other murderers throughout history play?

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

I will never be able to understand the American love for guns, as all they're really for is killing people, or if it's your thing birds. I live in the UK and guns are just not a thing here, and it's the same in many European countries. I just don't see the point in selling them to the general public at all, forget who sells them whether it's a gun warehouse or walmart

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I will never be able to understand the American love for guns...

Their self defence laws are miles better than what we have here. In fact, their gun rights were invented by us before the government became fearful of commie insurgents. That's how gun censorship began before the Dunblane bullshit.

I wouldn't mind having the right to self-defence again. The police are useless because of corruption and all of the cutbacks. Knife crime and acid attacks are going up, and you can't punch a paedophile because of their "human rights, man, waah". If the filth aren't going to do anything, let vigilantism take charge.

Edited by thepeaguy

The UK's gun laws are truly unfair to the innocent. While some sort of gun control is needed, their laws go WAY too far. When a government prevents innocent people from owning a gun for personal protection reasons, they're protecting the criminals.

Semi-auto assault rifles (like the AR-15) & hi-cap mags should be outlawed. Something like that isn't necessary to defend oneself. A handgun, a non-auto rifle, or a shotgun is enough for self-defense.

As for the Dayton gunman's friend who perjured to help him get that gun... throw the book at him also. He's just as guilty as the shooter in this.

America could of done a lot more back when that Asian guy killed around 30 people at Virginia Tech in 2007. Instead the media got all hot and bothered about guns. George W. Bush basically passed it off and went on being an idiot.

I was yet to see any major news organization really go in depth about mental health until about two or three years ago. The Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017 basically proved it wasn't just young guys aged 18 - 30 going on shooting rampages. Mental instability can affect everyone.

The real problem is people aren't doing shit about this issue. We had what, 12 years of mass shootings? After all this time our government hasn't done much of anything to help while there are nutcases who still support the NRA.

And it's not just guns, it's bombs and other dangerous devices. Maybe in the near future some terrorist organization is going to use high tech drones to commit some heinous act and the only thing the American government can do is twiddle their thumbs and push back the issue like they've pretty much always done.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 1:01 AM, JohnCenaSong- said:

Until all this about Walmart recently I didn't actually know they sold guns. I knew guns were easy to come by in America but I still thought you had to go specifically to a gun store. Walmart sells guns? It seems just so alien of a concept to me. It's fun to learn new things though, now I know.

It almost seems more like a scene from a movie doesn’t it? Grab some milk, eggs, bread oh and honey could you pick me up a 9 mm while you’re there? ?

Something I’m wondering about, perhaps an American can answer this: is this only in certain (red?) or even most states? I’ve been to the US quite a few times (and visited Walmarts many times) and have never seen guns for sale. Then again I’ve mostly been to blue states, i.e. California, NY/NJ and New England. Perhaps they have stricter laws or have I just overlooked the guns isle ?

Meh. I look in countries like Switzerland with their guns and no problems like America, or England (or even here in southern Italy) where instead of guns it's  a knife problem. And of course videogames being a mostly worldwide medium. Both are scapegoats, to me, if an human being wants to kill others, he/she will damn well find a way to do so. There is something strange, at least in the eyes of an outsider  for trading's purpouses. When I look at America's  and its continuos hatred of their citizens, from the mass medias left and right to its very own citizens, and yes, that includes minorities but it's hardly limited to them... I think Mark Twain said it best, with something along the lines  of half the nation being patriots, the other traitors but nobody knows one from the others, and with this climate, it doesn't surprise me that many people snap.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh