Thoughts on people using dummy accounts?

ARH65512

For those who don't know, it's basically a secondary account where people play without trophies thinking in their mind and that way they can still maintain a high completion. 

For me, I'm mixed. I'll admit, I'm guilty of using it, but that's mostly for games I want to play for a few minutes to see if I at least enjoy it. Having said that, I can definitely get by if it's a game that has unobtainable. I can sort of understand if it's a game that has online trophies since they usually can't last forever and they're times where they can shut down the servers without warning (I'm looking at you, Ghostbusters PS3). 

But if it's a game they don't want to play on their main account with all trophies possible but they're hard as fuck (eg. Wolfenstein 2), then I can definitely understand they people are frowned upon. 

Edited by ARH65512

There's nothing wrong with it no matter why you do it.

I understand using an alt to try new games so you can decide if you like them or not.

Now using an alt to avoid putting hard games on your profile, is ridiculous and it shows on the person's profile but still I wouldn't have a problem with it.Since people who do that care so much about their profiles in the end they lose because the completion percentage of a profile filled with ezpz doesn't say much.

That is just my humble opinion.In the end you do you.

• Like 1

I don't use dummy accounts so much as I do blank accounts. I prefer it because it gives me the option to transfer over the trophies if I end up getting a high enough completion in the game that I'm satisfied or Heavens be like in Super Meat Boy managing to complete it. 

Just allows me to have a back-up in case I earn something rare or get far enough in that I think the synch is warranted.

Otherwise, I just earn everything on an account I have no passion for :(

• Like 1

Anything and Everything about having multiple accounts is nothing more than attempts to fluff one's own ego. The only person who you're fooling is the one you see in the mirror every morning...everything you've learned from the 1990s on has been a lie...YOU should demand your money back.

Related image

Edited by PSXtreme_

I have no issues with alt accounts and nobody else should either. It is an extra account on your own console and you can use it in whichever way you see fit. I don't have any such accounts as I play games whether I can finish them or not, it’s not a huge concern of mine. It used to be but I’ve stopped myself from feeling that way or else I might miss out on some great games. Don’t worry about what other people think, you can only control your own thoughts and actions but not those of others and that’s okay ?

Personally, as a completionist, I have one single account, since I don't want to maintain a "fake" high-completion profile by avoiding hard games. If I want to play a game, then I'll play it on this account. But that's me, other players have other preferences, and if they want to play a game on a second account first, then go for it, it doesn't affect me in any way. 

• Like 1

I aim for as high a completion rate as I can feasibly get with games I have fun with. I use an alt account to see if I enjoy a game enough to 100% (should've done that with Shanky, that shit's stuck here, my bad), or play casually if it's not a game I intend to 100% (games with unobtainable trophies or bullshit online trophies).

I don’t care what people do, but it seems like a lot of hassle just to maintain a completion rate that isn’t worth anything, since it’s not an accurate reflection of the persons gaming history anyways...

to each his own, but I just like seeing my stats. I don’t see the point in doing stuff to massage the stats in one direction or the other, because then what would be the point in them ???‍♂️

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I usually do it for games that I am not sure if I will complete or have fun with - Kingdom Hearts 2, Yakuza 5(Dropped on the terrible prison sequence). Or for the games that have terrible platinums and I kinda don't wanna play, but friends ask me to try - The Last Guardian. Dropped that one two hours in - not my cup of tea. 

Other then these examples I have a policy: If I really want to play the game then I won't care about completion rates of something (Hollow Knight, DMC5) and just get as many trophies as I can manage. 

• Like 2

Dummy accounts are the best invention on the PS3 and 4! :) Seriously, it can take off some weight of your gaming habits. If you realize that the game you are playing is shit you can just abandon that without caring about your main profile. The best thing is, that you still play all kinds of games, no matter what. You just decide later on if it's "worthy" to be on your main profile and if you even want to go for the platinum.

Many people don't like if a certain game is sitting on their profile uncompleted. At the same time some people just don't want to play that specific game anymore due to various reason. A dummy account can help you to organize all that stuff. Even better, the game itself let's you decide how far you want to go in terms of trophies. For instance, many games require you to play it on the hardest setting. Doing that in game A can be totally fun while the same requirement in game B can be absolutely atrocious. With a dummy account you just have more "freedom" and can focus on the games, instead of the trophies.

On a personal note, I wish I knew about dummy accounts before I played Ni No Kuni 2 (Yes, I won't shut up about how terrible this game is).

Edited by Gommes_