Thoughts on people using dummy accounts?

ARH65512

I have two accounts, but only use this one regardless of trophies. I don't see the point in using a dummy account as personally I don't care about my completion percentage. I just platinum games I want to platinum and play games for fun that I don't intend to on this one account. I can understand the logic behind a dummy account for completionists, but personally I wouldn't make one. My previous account was from the region Ireland which I lived in before when I first got my PS3 in 2010 but no longer live there, so had created this one in 2013 as my main account for all my games now. It has 4 plats on it but I haven't logged into it in years. 

I like having just one account and don't see any advantage to me by complicating it with multiple ones.  I'm not going for 100% profile completion.  I like putting stuff on my account that I'm not sure if I can do (and at least sometimes, eventually doing it!).  I don't generally hate games, even average or mediocre ones.  There's just a couple games I've played on PSN that I actually regret playing... and at least I still have trophies from them.  It would probably be worse to have played them anyway and also have nothing to show for it.  ;)

As for my thoughts on others using dummy accounts?  I couldn't care less.

• Like 1

Nah don't care, I'm pretty sure people going for completion rates just do it for themselves, let them have it if it brings peace of mind. I know it does because I used to and still am stressing about games I have bought and want to finish but "don't ever have the time". Those endless unfinished entries are reminding me whenever I see them. ? I don't really even check completion rates on profiles when I'm looking at someone's and if anything, a 100% profile is really boring to watch because it does not show what kind of games the person in question did not enjoy playing and stopped midway so you can't really get an idea what kind of person he or she is. I just check the trophy cabinet and rarest plats sections because they usually tell what kind of player is in question, they tend to show which kind of games they enjoyed or had the required drive or craziness to complete. ?

Edited by Poramies
  • Like 1

No dummy account unless you mean I have a secondary account for games I am self-boost (i.e. beat a friend's time) but that game would always also show up on my main account.

If you want to play a game, I feel it should show up on your main profile, why hide it? 

Your profile should be a complete view of your trophy collection, not hiding difficult games.

9 minutes ago, djb5f said:

No dummy account unless you mean I have a secondary account for games I am self-boost (i.e. beat a friend's time) but that game would always also show up on my main account.

If you want to play a game, I feel it should show up on your main profile, why hide it? 

Your profile should be a complete view of your trophy collection, not hiding difficult games.

It's not about difficult games but bad ones. If you realize midgame that the game sucks you just stop playing like people without caring for trophies would do too. You can still decide if you put it on your main account or another one. Or just delete it completely. For instance I've played The Last of Us on a totally different account with my girlfriend, just because I wanted to experience the game and I had the chance to borrow it from a friend at that time. But I really didn't care for the trophies and don't "miss" it on my profile. And let's be honest, the trophies are crap anyway.

Another aspect is that some of us play games together with friends on their consoles or games which are available on all platforms and won't show up on our profiles either. I don't see any difference there. In my case games like  Dead Cells, Hollow Knight etc. have no "proof" of being played by me, besides my save on the Switch.

I use one but solely for testing the waters on games I'm not sure I'll enjoy, usually PS+ offerings and the like. I don't maintain any trophy hunting with it, often deciding whether to start the game on my main account before I pop the first trophy on the alt. 

It has nothing to do with game difficulty or trophies. I honestly use the alt very rarely, and mostly for self-boosting 9/10 times.

Edited by Sofa King

53 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

It's not about difficult games but bad ones. If you realize midgame that the game sucks you just stop playing like people without caring for trophies would do too. You can still decide if you put it on your main account or another one. Or just delete it completely. For instance I've played The Last of Us on a totally different account with my girlfriend, just because I wanted to experience the game and I had the chance to borrow it from a friend at that time. But I really didn't care for the trophies and don't "miss" it on my profile. And let's be honest, the trophies are crap anyway.

Another aspect is that some of us play games together with friends on their consoles or games which are available on all platforms and won't show up on our profiles either. I don't see any difference there. In my case games like  Dead Cells, Hollow Knight etc. have no "proof" of being played by me, besides my save on the Switch.

Loved The Last of Us and thought the trophies were good, both SP and MP, at least for the PS4.  The MP trophies all came naturally, not like the non-sense or over the top grind that was Uncharted 2 or 3.  More collectibles than I would do for campaign but not crazy by any means.

And that game was so critically acclaimed so I don't think that was the best example after talking about games that sucked ;) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Brawler said:

I don't really care. It's their profile, they can do what they want with it. That said, if you do it and then brag about your completion I can't really fault people giving you grief about it. 

Opinions can't be correct or incorrect.... but this is correct. ?  Do whatever you want to do, but I don't get it personally. Cherry picking the games in your "main" to make your percentage look better doesn't make any sense. It's like if a baseball player wanted to make his batting average better by wearing someone else's jersey when facing a tough pitcher. 

In any case, if someone wants to do it - go for it. I just have one account, and I use it to play all my games.

15 hours ago, djb5f said:

Loved The Last of Us and thought the trophies were good, both SP and MP, at least for the PS4.  The MP trophies all came naturally, not like the non-sense or over the top grind that was Uncharted 2 or 3.  More collectibles than I would do for campaign but not crazy by any means.

And that game was so critically acclaimed so I don't think that was the best example after talking about games that sucked ;) 

I didn't say that Tlou sucked, I just said that the trophies were crap. The game itself was awesome. When talking about trophies coming naturally you have to consider that you have to play the game again on the hardest setting or even start the multiplayer part. I claim that in most cases it's not the game which is encouraging you to do all that but the trophies connected to the requirements. Without them people wouldn't do that often. I am not saying that it never happens but I guess not that much.

And looking at the percentages of specific trophies for even finishing a game gives you a good overview on how many times that actually happens and how many people even complete a game. With a dummy account you can decide if you want to do all that on your man profile, because you like that game so much or if it is enough to just finish the story like everybody else who is not going for achievements.

Oh and speaking about critically acclaimed stuff, that doesn't mean anything for the individual. Avatar was critically acclaimed but in my opinion the movie sucked! Big time :)

Edited by Gommes_

3 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

I didn't say that Tlou sucked, I just said that the trophies were crap. The game itself was awesome. When talking about trophies coming naturally you have to consider that you have to play the game again on the hardest setting or even start the multiplayer part. I claim that in most cases it's not the game which is encouraging you to do all that but the trophies connected to the requirements. Without them people wouldn't do that often. I am not saying that it never happens but I guess not that much. And with a dummy account you can decide if you want to do all that on your man profile, because you like that game so much or if it is enough to just finish the story like everybody else who is not going for achievements.

Oh and speaking about critically acclaimed stuff, that doesn't mean anything for the individual. Avatar was critically acclaimed but in my opinion the movie sucked! Big time :)

Ha, 100% agree on Avatar!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with dummy accounts. For me it’s the most logical option to test and try out games I’m not sure I’ll like. These are ofcourse almost always Ps Plus or Ps Now games. In fact, I’m going to play some Batman: Arkham Knight right now on my second account.

Edited by The Tick

Always seemed dumb to me. Pointless really. It does not harm me tho. So people using them, enjoy it.

I just  find it entertaining,  how people put so much into completion rates.  Why is it so bad to toss on a game, earn 5 trophies, hate the experience and  move on ? The urge to seperate failures, bad games, incomplete titles etc etc. Must be some OCD type shit. Feeling bad for abandoning a title on your " main profile "? Seems pathetic.  Limiting at the VERY least.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, ARH65512 said:

For those who don't know, it's basically a secondary account where people play without trophies thinking in their mind and that way they can still maintain a high completion. 

For me, I'm mixed. I'll admit, I'm guilty of using it, but that's mostly for games I want to play for a few minutes to see if I at least enjoy it. Having said that, I can definitely get by if it's a game that has unobtainable. I can sort of understand if it's a game that has online trophies since they usually can't last forever and they're times where they can shut down the servers without warning (I'm looking at you, Ghostbusters PS3). 

But if it's a game they don't want to play on their main account with all trophies possible but they're hard as fuck (eg. Wolfenstein 2), then I can definitely understand they people are frowned upon. 

I personally don't care about my completion rate that's a really good way to make gaming feel like a chore and miss out on a ton of good games so there is no real point for me to make another account just to try games.  No body really cares about your completion rate except yourself so honestly there is no real point.

Topic is kind of mute anyway, because completion % means NOTHING (mostly for the point the OP is making). Completion % is very easy to manipulate.

The stat everyone should pay attention to is trophy Average %. NOT completion %, but average percentage.... the one where the lower it is, the better. THAT'S the stat that is most important. Nothing impressive, neat, cool, nice, awesome about having a completion % of 99% with 10,000 trophies and like 50 ultra rares. That's crap, imo. All that shows/proves is you have extra money/extra time on your hands.

I'll take a profile with 3,000 trophies, 60% completion, 35% average over someone with 50,000 trophies 100% completion and a 55% average.

So if i don't consider the OP mute, than there is absolutely nothing wrong with someone using a dummy account to keep up their completion %, because completion % means nothing.

Bunch of weirdos posting here, why would you care if someone else plays a game on a different account lmao, Personally I have only ever done this with Fifa 19 cause I got it free when I bought a PS4 Pro last year and my mates wanted me to play with them, I hate fifa so I hopped onto my other account played for an hour then traded that trash in. Apart from fifa 19 you can see every Playstation game I have played since 2008 by looking at my list on here.

But like I said if you're judging someone for playing on a second account you are a weirdo.

Edited by cuckie