how complex is disgaea 5 when going for platinum?

i read how it can be very intimidating and complex once you start touching the many mechanics.

i was wondering if it can be easily understood when taking it slowly. i play a lot of JRPG's even platinum'd games like tales of symphonia and SAO hollow fragment which have a lot to take in, but granted i haven't delved very deep into the SRPG side of things, and never played a disgaea game.

reading things they seem a bit off putting and such, but maybe it'll make sense when and if i play.

i can feel overwhelmed if i'm not understanding things easily, i'd like to get into the rest of the series someday and with this entry on sale for $12 i find it hard to pass up. thoughts?

also wondering if getting the base game is fine enough. the complete edition is on sale for $20, but i have been waiting for this to reach $15 which even better it hit $12. i hear there are useful things in the season pass but rather get the base game as it costs less and i'm not sure if i'll like it. i also am thinking about getting ys viii as well in the sale so would feel better about it if i got the cheaper version of the game.

• Like 1

Let me start by saying the complete edition is worth it solely because you get a bonus character, the mascot Plenair, which is limited to the season pass bundle and the complete edition.

Not to mention that one particular character in the DLC bunch has a very useful unique skill that will help with some trophies. I think some others can help with trophies too. No pressure though, Disgaea is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I would have advised that you start with 3 as it's the easier of the 4 entries with trophies but maybe that's not an option.

There are a lot of mechanics in Disgaea games, every new entry brings something fresh, replaces something old, etc. So even long-time fans take time to adjust with each new release, however it's nothing that bad, you learn everythinf basic and advanced as you progress the story, but Disgaea games' true worth isn't the base game, it's the Post-Game, so many things open up and get added, you get means to overpower your units, get the highest rarity gear, etc. But again, it's not that crazy.

When going for trophies in Disgaea game, i like to make a sheet with the individual objective that i need to do for each grindy trophy, then i start to focus on them one by one, thinning out the bunch slowly, but in a way that won't stress your mind too much. Take for example Disgaea 4, a trophy required obtaining every single piece of equipment while another required encountering a certain enemy in a level 9999 version of a "ascending tower" type of gameplay mode, with said enemy having like 2% to appear each visit. So obviously you would go for obtaining all items first, and if you run into the enemy, then it would be a cool bonus, if you don't encounter them on the way but got all items, you then focus on just encountering said enemy, which is less stressful than focusing on both at once. Luckily none of that bullshit is in Disgaea 5, i personally think it's a cooled-down trophy list for a disgaea game so there's nothing insane in the bunch.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, YaoiGod said:

Let me start by saying the complete edition is worth it solely because you get a bonus character, the mascot Plenair, which is limited to the season pass bundle and the complete edition.

Not to mention that one particular character in the DLC bunch has a very useful unique skill that will help with some trophies. I think some others can help with trophies too. No pressure though, Disgaea is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. I would have advised that you start with 3 as it's the easier of the 4 entries with trophies but maybe that's not an option.

There are a lot of mechanics in Disgaea games, every new entry brings something fresh, replaces something old, etc. So even long-time fans take time to adjust with each new release, however it's nothing that bad, you learn everythinf basic and advanced as you progress the story, but Disgaea games' true worth isn't the base game, it's the Post-Game, so many things open up and get added, you get means to overpower your units, get the highest rarity gear, etc. But again, it's not that crazy.

When going for trophies in Disgaea game, i like to make a sheet with the individual objective that i need to do for each grindy trophy, then i start to focus on them one by one, thinning out the bunch slowly, but in a way that won't stress your mind too much. Take for example Disgaea 4, a trophy required obtaining every single piece of equipment while another required encountering a certain enemy in a level 9999 version of a "ascending tower" type of gameplay mode, with said enemy having like 2% to appear each visit. So obviously you would go for obtaining all items first, and if you run into the enemy, then it would be a cool bonus, if you don't encounter them on the way but got all items, you then focus on just encountering said enemy, which is less stressful than focusing on both at once. Luckily none of that bullshit is in Disgaea 5, i personally think it's a cooled-down trophy list for a disgaea game so there's nothing insane in the bunch.

thank you very much for your detailed post, i have had it planned to get the 3 & 4 bundle on vita on sale someday so yes they're definitely an open option. c: the 1 complete edition is relatively new so i'm waiting for a good sale on it as i'd rather start there than to go backwards on the games. lol. 

i like grindy games however i like to be able to get a grasp easily on them as well. reading on how complex these games are and the many mechanics definitely raised some anxiety for me like if i should dive in, if i would be able to understand without getting overwhelmed and stressed. that's kinda why i would rather opt for the base version of the game since it wouldn't feel as big of a loss if i bought the complete edition. as i don't know what i am really getting into. 

i'm also uncertain of what sort of guides i should be looking into, there's a trophy guide on the other trophy site but not sure if its sufficient enough. i want to make absolute certain all the info. i need is right there, some guides i have to look through another guide or few to understand things more clearly. 

nice seeing you again, haven't seen you in awhile and thanks again.

14 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

thank you very much for your detailed post, i have had it planned to get the 3 & 4 bundle on vita on sale someday so yes they're definitely an open option. c: the 1 complete edition is relatively new so i'm waiting for a good sale on it as i'd rather start there than to go backwards on the games. lol. 

i like grindy games however i like to be able to get a grasp easily on them as well. reading on how complex these games are and the many mechanics definitely raised some anxiety for me like if i should dive in, if i would be able to understand without getting overwhelmed and stressed. that's kinda why i would rather opt for the base version of the game since it wouldn't feel as big of a loss if i bought the complete edition. as i don't know what i am really getting into. 

i'm also uncertain of what sort of guides i should be looking into, there's a trophy guide on the other trophy site but not sure if its sufficient enough. i want to make absolute certain all the info. i need is right there, some guides i have to look through another guide or few to understand things more clearly. 

nice seeing you again, haven't seen you in awhile and thanks again.

My suggestion would be to try it out on an alternate account. The games are complex but they are really fun. I would try it out first just to see if you like it. The community is pretty good about answering questions down the road.

I recently platinumed it, and as my first disgaea game ever I can say it's not that bad, especially if you did hollow fragment. As with any japanese RPG it can be very grindy, but as long as you have the proper understanding and guidance for the endgame you'll be fine. 

Edited by undefinedmike
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, undefinedmike said:

I recently platinumed it, and as my first disgaea game ever I can say it's not that bad, especially if you did hollow fragment. As with any japanese RPG it can be very grindy, but as long as you have the proper understanding and guidance for the endgame you'll be fine. 

did you need or have the DLC? i'm trying my best to just get the regular game instead of paying more for the complete. also what guide(s) did you use, if you recall. assuming you needed any. i believe i would, i heard the game does good at explaining, but obviously with games like this i imagine you would need something to reference to know how to put it all into work. 

On 8/14/2019 at 4:06 PM, RJP_X said:

did you need or have the DLC? i'm trying my best to just get the regular game instead of paying more for the complete. also what guide(s) did you use, if you recall. assuming you needed any. i believe i would, i heard the game does good at explaining, but obviously with games like this i imagine you would need something to reference to know how to put it all into work. 

I started the game with no DLC and my intent was to continue along with that route, but there was a PSN sale that had the season pass for like 7 dollars so I did that. I'm sure it's possible with just base characters. I actually only maxed out 5 characters and just had several utility characters to help. I beat the game and a little bit of the post game with base characters. I used tips and trick guides on things I wasn't really sure about more than guides, i.e. innocent farming, stat maxing, subclass maxing. The game is brief with explanation, but since this was my first disgaea game a lot of the mechanics were complex for me until I found a detailed guide on how to play the game properly. I can go back and find what sites I used if you're interested and let you know which DLC characters I used.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, undefinedmike said:

I started the game with no DLC and my intent was to continue along with that route, but there was a PSN sale that had the season pass for like 7 dollars so I did that. I'm sure it's possible with just base characters. I actually only maxed out 5 characters and just had several utility characters to help. I beat the game and a little bit of the post game with base characters. I used tips and trick guides on things I wasn't really sure about more than guides, i.e. innocent farming, stat maxing, subclass maxing. The game is brief with explanation, but since this was my first disgaea game a lot of the mechanics were complex for me until I found a detailed guide on how to play the game properly. I can go back and find what sites I used if you're interested and let you know which DLC characters I used.

yes i would on both accounts, the sites/guides and DLC characters you used. if you can recall that much, it would be a great help as i went in getting the complete edition since it seems highly suggested over just getting the base game. i'm going to keep the game in my backlog for a bit, but any and all help is definitely welcome that i can come back and reference.

thank you very much.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, RJP_X said:

yes i would on both accounts, the sites/guides and DLC characters you used. if you can recall that much, it would be a great help as i went in getting the complete edition since it seems highly suggested over just getting the base game. i'm going to keep the game in my backlog for a bit, but any and all help is definitely welcome that i can come back and reference.

thank you very much.

Proud of you man, haha the complete is well worth it. I went through and tried making a 20 man squad and got super lazy after maxing my 5 character hahaha. I'll get you the info shortly

I maxed out stats for Killia(main protagonist), Usalia(base game main character), a Sage (base game generic character), Metallia(DLC. Probably best mage in the entire game), and Desco(DLC character I picked because I thought her character was precious). I had support characters that reach max level, but not max stats, i.e. another sage, Christo(base game main character that has a passive accuracy buff) pleinar(DLC character with an amazing movement passive) and a bunch of basic characters that had unique skill that boosted attack(angel song I think), then I had a bunch if super basic level 10 archers for combo count(you'll understand it later). So all in all, I did rather little in the post game and the last level was a bit of a struggle and I managed with some finesse. 

The sites I used were: 

https://www.gamerguides.com/disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/guide/extras/trophies/trophy-guide-3- 

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/279674-disgaea-5-alliance-vengeance-trophy-guide-road-map.html

these 2 give a good description in the trophies 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Disgaea/comments/3pyfpy/disgaea_5_platinum_guide_and_roadmap/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

This is good pre and post game guidelines 

I also used the game faqs guide which is rather dense, so check that out too. 

Let me know how it goes! I'm happy to go into further detail when the time comes, good luck!

• Like 1