Best cutscene? *Spoilers*

I think we can all pretty much agree on the fact that TLOU is a fantastic game, but I kinda wanted to show some love towards a specific element of the game which deserves some more attention imo, being the cutscenes! Rarely have I seen a game where the cutscenes are so great that they're actually something to always look forward to instead of them being just an annoying interruption of your gameplay activities like in most other games. I think I've completed this game at least 6 times now and never ever have I skipped a cutscene, that's just how great they are for me.

I had to think long and hard about which cutscene is my most favourite out of them all but I think I'm gonna go with the one at the end of chapter 7, the conversation between Joel and Ellie inside the bedroom of the ranch. The way the voice actors managed to deliver the lines filled with so much passion and true emotions gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Such a powerful moment. 

So I was wondering, what's your favourite cutscene? 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Still got to be the opening for me, after all this time I still tear up when she dies.

I know it's the 'obvious' answer and not very original of a choice but I feel like there's a good reason so many people choose it.

Yup that one came pretty close as well, still hits me every time I see it. Quite impressive how they managed to create such an impact with this scene even though we only knew the character for like 15 mins. This one is in my top 3 for sure.

23 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

Mine is the argument at the ranch too. 

"Everyone I have ever cared for has either died, or left me. Everyone, fucking except for you! So don't tell me I would be safer with someone else because the truth is I would just be more scared."

Glad to see I'm not the only one! ^^ The voice acting was already phenomenal during the entire game but this moment really took things to a whole other level for me, especially those lines you mentioned were so well done.

• Like 3

I'd pick the one at the hospital when Marlene speaks with Joel and he deals with that goon later on. I think I never sympathized with and cheered for a video game character like I did back then for him. Joel is, in my opinion, best written protagonist any game ever had, hands down. I just hope he won't be marginalised in the sequel.

Edited by maniek515
  • Like 1

The interactions between Joel, Ellie, and Bill. Both the cutscenes when Bill tells Ellie not to touch his stuff and in game dialogue. 

Ellie: So, why don't you fix one of these cars?

Bill: Oh my God, you're a genius! I mean why on earth haven't I thought about fixing one of these cars?

Ellie: Okay, don't be a dick...

?

• Like 1

Best scene to me that I still watching every now and then on YouTube: the (Best) Torture scene :) you can feel that angry “parent” missing his “girl” for the first time. The scene, the text, the voice acting...

And yeah, the prologue sequence <3 

Edited by TurtlePM

The cutscenes with Sam and Henry were nice. Especially the ones where Ellie would hang out with Sam since it's someone she's met that's around her age and they can relate because they like kid/teenage stuff. It makes the part where Henry offs himself over being distraught over his brother turning pretty brutal because of how similar they were and that it could have easily been the other way around. So I guess I would have to go with that one, at least as one of my favorite ones.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, Flex_Da_Brent said:

I think we can all pretty much agree on the fact that TLOU is a fantastic game, but I kinda wanted to show some love towards a specific element of the game which deserves some more attention imo, being the cutscenes! Rarely have I seen a game where the cutscenes are so great that they're actually something to always look forward to instead of them being just an annoying interruption of your gameplay activities like in most other games. I think I've completed this game at least 6 times now and never ever have I skipped a cutscene, that's just how great they are for me.

I had to think long and hard about which cutscene is my most favourite out of them all but I think I'm gonna go with the one at the end of chapter 7, the conversation between Joel and Ellie inside the bedroom of the ranch. The way the voice actors managed to deliver the lines filled with so much passion and true emotions gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Such a powerful moment. 

So I was wondering, what's your favourite cutscene? 

Yeah I agree that one's great. The one I remember hitting me hardest is Sam and Henry's death. It was so sad and that was the closest I ever came to crying playing a videogame. Yes, even more so than Sarah's death. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great scenes. If i had to point out some, it would be the interrogation-torture scene and the other one in the hospital with Ethan (i think his name was Ethan).

The first scene reminded me a lot the scene from the first Taken with Liam Neeson. Joel's low-inner voice is scary as hell. Stabbing a guy, putting the bloody knife in his mouth and making him mark the map, telling to other ''i believe him'' before bludgeoned him to death. In the hospital scene, Ethan is practically dead after getting shot twice in the gut and with his last breath he tells Joel where Ellie is, very intimidating.

It was these two scenes that made me realize what Tommy meant when he said to Joel that he had nightmares from the time they spent together in Boston after the outbreak, ''surviving'' and all

• Like 2

Personally, I think nothing beats the final scene. The look on Ellie’s face as she is trying to size up whether Joel is lying to her, then the “okay”, then the cut are fucking masterful, and could hold up against some of the best movie scenes, never mind game cut-scenes.

I know there are some more simple-minded people who complain that the ending is anti-climactic, or ambiguous, but they miss the point.

We know the truth, Joel knows the truth, and it is up to interpretation whether Ellie does too - personally I always read it as she realises he is probably lying, but accepts the lie anyway as the mark of his love and as her only way to carry on, but it could be seen a myriad of different ways, all of which would be valid.

Just like a bunch of great movie finales.

• Like 2

Easily the one where...

Spoiler

...Henry commits suicide after Sam becomes infected

It's a horrific scene in my opinion. It's not overly gruesome, its more his complete desperation as the scene unfolds...and when what happens happens, it happens very quickly. Even so, you see the determination in his face the second before he does what he does. It's almost like it was instinctual, but f**k me that scene got to me. Very upsetting scene.  I just thought "what if that happened to me?". Very well acted scene, a testament to how well written TLOU is.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Lots of great scenes. If i had to point out some, it would be the interrogation-torture scene and the other one in the hospital with Ethan (i think his name was Ethan).

The first scene reminded me a lot the scene from the first Taken with Liam Neeson. Joel's low-inner voice is scary as hell. Stabbing a guy, putting the bloody knife in his mouth and making him mark the map, telling to other ''i believe him'' before bludgeoned him to death. In the hospital scene, Ethan is practically dead after getting shot twice in the gut and with his last breath he tells Joel where Ellie is, very intimidating.

It was these two scenes that made me realize what Tommy meant when he said to Joel that he had nightmares from the time they spent together in Boston after the outbreak, ''surviving'' and all

How is it that you're only JUST NOW playing TLOU?

12 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Easily the one where...

Hide contents

...Henry commits suicide after Sam becomes infected

It's a horrific scene in my opinion. It's not overly gruesome, its more his complete desperation as the scene unfolds...and when what happens happens, it happens very quickly. Even so, you see the determination in his face the second before he does what he does. It's almost like it was instinctual, but f**k me that scene got to me. Very upsetting scene.  I just thought "what if that happened to me?". Very well acted scene, a testament to how well written TLOU is.

I've played through the game a few times on both systems and just a couple of days ago that scene struck me for this exact reason. After finishing the game multiple times you tend to focus on the details and in my case, I've noticed the facial expressions more than before. My jaw dropped. Every emotion is actually seen on the faces, the shock on Henry's face, the instinct to protect his brother, the desperation when he chooses to be the one to kill you know who. Joel's fear when he has the gun pointed at his head and the shock when he's not the one getting shot. Most games can't be even half as convincing today, and Tlou is what, 6 years old by now? I'm amazed and surprised I haven't noticed such details earlier. Screenwriters are supposed to show, not tell and this is how you do it in a video game. As for best scene... I have no idea. It's a tie between half of the scenes in the game honestly. Many of them are very powerful to me on some level or another so it's kinda hard to choose just one. 

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

How is it that you're only JUST NOW playing TLOU?

I had it for 3 years in ps4. But i didn't have ps+ until 14-15 months ago. I thought it would be a good time to play now since it's free with ps+ and there would be new players for the mp. It's not easy to play against veterans. Although i totally regret not getting it on ps3 as well

15 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I had it for 3 years in ps4. But i didn't have ps+ until 14-15 months ago. I thought it would be a good time to play now since it's free with ps+ and there would be new players for the mp. It's not easy to play against veterans. Although i totally regret not getting it on ps3 as well

No I mean why are you only just now playing the campaign?