Are typos okay?

Blonde-Boy01

Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to make a typo on this site?

• No, grammar is always important
    • Yes it's fine/who cares

Obviously, when applying for a job or something, it's important to always check for typos in what you write. But what about typos on a forum site like this? Do you consider them acceptable?

I'm not talking about when people are impossible to understand because of shit spelling, but when someone writes something that is perfectly understandable but with a couple small errors. 

Edited by Blonde-Boy01
Typos lmao
  • Like 1

I mean, most of the users on this page (myself inclulded) are not native English speakers, and we will all make mistakes. That's something that we all need to keep in mind.

I personally take my time writing posts, since I try to be concise and make myself understood, and of course I try my best to avoid grammatical errors and typos. If for whatever reason I end up reading up one of my already published posts (say it has been quoted or whatever) and I notice a typo, I will edit the post. 

I think it's generally important in the wider world because written communication is a bit of a minefield where interpretation goes. A missing full stop or comma can often completely change the meaning of a sentence or phrase. But at the same time PSNProfiles is a casual space with people from all corners of the world and with varying proficiency in the English language. So it's probably best to be more relaxed around grammar because of those things. I know I am :)

Random side-note on the job part you mentioned (because i'm a career coach by day):

When applying for a job, the company will generally expect you to continue communicating in that way once you are hired. The CV should be as accurate a representation of you as possible in all areas. It's why more and more companies are employing written language tests as part of their recruitment process. This is why i hate things like Grammarly, because it literally re-writes part of whatever you are writing for you without necessarily providing you with the knowledge as to why.

• Like 1

The only time they piss me off is when I make them. I don't try to be grammatically correct by any means, but on a laptop I hate missing one. On a phone I just can't be bothered to care. Auto-correct likes to screw everything up even when I have the damn word that I want it just changes it sometimes.

On a laptop...my pinkies love to do shit they're not supposed to lol. I nearly always hit the ' key for things that don't need it. I also tend to go over what I typed and add things here and there and sometimes completely ignore that it screws up the sentence right after it. Causes lots of redundant things to read lol. 

I don't care if other people make them though. Usually I can tell what they're saying or I'm understanding because English isn't their native language. (and I've spent almost 2 decades around people, in real life and online, where it's not so I'm used to it too...shame I never actually grasped how to speak in another language lmfao)

• Like 1

There is no rule against typos on the site... yet.

I do feel like it does say something about a person who communicates with frequent typos. And generally, unless you’re trying to make the case for something, as long as I can interpret what is trying to be said, typos don’t bother me.

I usually read the things I post and try to avoid typos as much as possible. Or edit them out if I see one afterwards.

Some of the typos I missed before posting are actually embarassing :D. I´m amazed by my own stupidity.

I mostly mess up tenses, I´ve never learned how to use all of them correctly. I blame the schools for that! (It was my fault because I thought school was stupid)

I always try to type without faults, and I always read my text before posting. But since I got a new phone, and I only use this site on my phone, I get a Dutch autocorrect so many times per sentence it’s starting to annoy me. I need to find a way to fix this.

Edited by The Tick
Typo ?

I think it’s important to do our best.

In my case, English is not my first language, so PSNP is pretty good to practice. I definitely try to write correctly, without typos and to make myself understood. I read what I write a few times before posting and I edit if I notice something wrong after posting. Some days I also feel more inspired than others to write.

I’m not too bothered by other people’s mistakes, as long as I can understand what they’re trying to say; I am a lot more demanding with myself!

I don't care if others make typos or not as long as I can make out what they are trying to say and not have to decipher the text.
Kind of hate when I find typos a day later then I can edit the post on some websites, which is about why it would be nice if websites would let you edit a post at any length of time and I also find it funny when someone tries to be a grammar nazi then they make a typo themselves.

When I was teenager I was terrible for writing properly. I would write in pure text speak, and make posts on social media with intermittent capital and small letters, like "FiNalLY FinISHed eXams".... terrible I know. Looking back now, I cringe and delete those posts. All my messages were along the lines of "wat u up 2?" and littered with typos etc. as a teen

As I reached my 20's and now 27, I am all for proper spelling and grammar, and wince when I see texts from my mum saying "c u seen". I also hate it when people start a sentence with a small letter instead of a capital letter and I don't know why it bugs me. 

On 8/17/2019 at 5:26 AM, Lava_Yuki said:

When I was teenager I was terrible for writing properly. I would write in pure text speak, and make posts on social media with intermittent capital and small letters, like "FiNalLY FinISHed eXams".... terrible I know. Looking back now, I cringe and delete those posts. All my messages were along the lines of "wat u up 2?" and littered with typos etc. as a teen

As I reached my 20's and now 27, I am all for proper spelling and grammar, and wince when I see texts from my mum saying "c u seen". I also hate it when people start a sentence with a small letter instead of a capital letter and I don't know why it bugs me. 

I was talking more about small mistakes, but still that's interesting to hear. Your 27 already? Damn, it feels like only yesterday when "text speak" was new...

On 19/08/2019 at 1:56 AM, Blonde-Boy01 said:

I was talking more about small mistakes, but still that's interesting to hear. Your 27 already? Damn, it feels like only yesterday when "text speak" was new...

Yeah I just kind of gradually drifted away from and and all my colleagues and friends all text in normal English. I can't pinpoint when exactly the transition from text to proper English was, but it was probably around the end of uni for me (which was when I was 25!)