Regarding the "adventures"

This thread serves purely as information gathering.. It's not a discussion thread, so please refrain from posting in it, unless it's to add information about how the turn system works in the adventure mode of Pillars of Eternity,

As anyone familiar with the game has probably realised. Adventures are a major pain in the ass. How they are calculated is clear (dice values + prestige; as well as the various possible increases for prestige there are is detailed in plenty of guides, so I'm not regurgitating it here)- The main issue is not knowing when exactly the rolls for events/adventures happen, and figuring that out can cut down on the amount of playthroughs and playtime by a lot.

What I've noticed so far:

• Every 5th turn is tax payment,  An adventure can occur on the same turn though.
  • If you get one type of adventure, reloading to the previous save wiill not change the type of adventure. i.e. saving before handing in a quest, the game giving the pop-up for a grand adventure, reloading said save to try and get a different adventure will not work.
  • Advancing turns and their amount seems exclusivey tied to quest updates/completion. I think the amount of turns is tied to the amount of XP earned from the quest progress and completion. See examples below.

example: starting from the same save file, taking 3 different routes (partially different quests)

1. Just finished an adventure - turn 123 - (no event)
  2. Delievered quest for 3006XP turn 124 (no event)
  3. Quest - 1584XP (update) and 3168XP (completeion) - turn 125 (taxes), turn 126 (no  event)
  4. Quest completion - 3192XP - turn 127 (no event), turn 128 (major adventure event)

2. Quest completion - 3192XP - turn 124 (no event) and turn 125 (taxes)
  3. Quest completed - 2400XP - turn 126 (no event)
  4. Quest - 1584XP (update) and 3168XP (completeion) - turn 127 (no event), turn 128 (major adventure) and turn 129 (no event)

2. Quest completion - 3192XP - turn 124 (no event) and turn 125 (taxes)
  3. Quest completed - 2400XP - turn 126 (no event)
  4. Quest delievered - 4800XP - turn 127 (no event), turn 128 (major adventure) and turn 129 (no event)

P.S. These are just 3 examples of dozens of attemps that lasted several hours. It always rolled a major adventure (My prestige rating allows for all 5 types to be rolled)

No matter how many attempts I tried going through either route after the adventure from step 1 had concluded (can't trigger adventure events while one is active), there was never a single change in any of the turns. Meaning turns with no events, would always have no event, another adventure would only trigger at the same point (whenever it triggered in the example above). This leads me to believe that each turn isn't randomly generated, but instead at least several of them seem to be rolled at the same time.

Update:

I've now started from turn 119 to see ,if the rolls happen in sequences of 5 whenever the tax day kicks in. THe result has been this:

1. Turn 120 - taxes + major adventure. The only change from this time around compared to last time was not accepting to do this adventure in order to allow for more variables to occur.
  2. Turn 121 - no event
  3. Turn 122 - no event
  4. Turn 123 - no event
  5. Turn 124 - no event
  6. Turn 125 - taxes
  7. Turn 126 - no event
  8. Turn 127 - no event
  9. Turn 128 - Grand adventure rolled

The second to fourth attempts were the exact same, but it rolled a Major adventure on turn 128, attempts 5 through 8 were a Grand adventure, attempt 9 was a Major adventure and 10th try was an Average adventure. This should confirms that rolls are done in sets of 5, whenever tax day hits, the game makes the rolls up until and including the next tax day. This is probably also when the game does a prestige check for the value.

What this also seems to indicate is that the turn for when adventures occur is fixed, at least for the specific game file (previously assumed to be random). In either attempt there would always be an adventure on turn 128. I don't have much data to compare this to, so I can't say if it's the exact same turn for every game or, if the order is determined with each new game creation. There might be a change in data depending on the acceptance of adventures throughout the game, potentially pushing the turn events back by X amount. So if anyone has that data available, feel free to share it, to be able to form a more accurate analysis.

TLDR:

As it stands, if you want to have a chance at re-rolling an adventure you have to load a save file that's prior to 2 tax payments (potentially prior to 1 would suffice). In the example used in this thread, an adventure gets rolled on turn 128, with tax payments occuring turns 120 and 125, you need to load a save from turn 119 to be safe (although turn 124 should work as well). This is obviously in conjuction with all the prestige info in mind.

Edited by voodoo_eyes