First playthrough on Ranger Hardcore?

Ravers

I am completing my PS3 backlog and its Metro Last Light turn. I purchased the Complete Edition since I am aiming for the 100%.

So I played a few hours on normal difficulty, and reached chapter 10 without raising alarms or killing anyone. I found it quite easy. So I thought that maybe I could complete Ranger Hardcore on my first playthrough and knock out of the way 3 trophies.

I am afraid that if I restart de game, overwriting my save file, and then I can't handle Ranger Hardcore on my first playthrough. Has anyone played like this: first time Ranger Hardcore? And do you have good advice for Ranger Hardcore mode?

Edited by Ravers

Ranger Hardcore is not recommended as your first playthrough, because things get tough really quickly and the HUD changes are disorientating if you're not expecting them. Here's the Guide I wrote over at .org :)https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ranger-mode/204374-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-dlc-road-map-trophy-guide.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Ranger Hardcore is not recommended as your first playthrough, because things get tough really quickly and the HUD changes are disorientating if you're not expecting them. Here's the Guide I wrote over at .org :)https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ranger-mode/204374-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-dlc-road-map-trophy-guide.html

Nice guide! I will surely read it entirely before starting Ranger Hardcore.

1 hour ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I forget what Ranger Hardcore does in this game, does it help the AI spot you quicker or anything like that?

If so, then hell no. Shadow Ranger would be ridiculous to get on RH. I vaguely remember just trying to get through RH as fast as I could which meant having to kill silently when possible.

Yes. I think that AI gets much smarter on Ranger Hardcore.

Maybe I will start by doing Normal difficulty while aiming for Shadow Ranger and then after that I will start Ranger Hardcore. Thank you both for your comments!

Edited by Ravers

40 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I forget what Ranger Hardcore does in this game, does it help the AI spot you quicker or anything like that?

If so, then hell no. Shadow Ranger would be ridiculous to get on RH. I vaguely remember just trying to get through RH as fast as I could which meant having to kill silently when possible.

The A.I is much smarter and most of the HUD is removed, plus supplies are harder to find.

Ranger hardcore is definitely not so hard so if you are good at fps games you can easily get through it. A few difficult sections but nothing unsurmountable.

I went back to this after it being years in my backlog so it was pretty much a blind/new playthrough. 

Just concentrate on this trophy only (dont try to knock out shadow ranger or the likes) and keep a screenshot of the button layout close.

I would say go for it! ?

9 minutes ago, colia100 said:

Ranger hardcore is definitely not so hard so if you are good at fps games you can easily get through it. A few difficult sections but nothing unsurmountable.

I went back to this after it being years in my backlog so it was pretty much a blind/new playthrough. 

Just concentrate on this trophy only (dont try to knock out shadow ranger or the likes) and keep a screenshot of the button layout close.

I would say go for it! 1f44d.png

I feel so tempted to do it! I did my first playthrough on Alien Isolation on the hardest difficulty without killing any humans and that provided quite the challenge and for some reason I think this game will provide the same challenge.

Edited by Ravers

Just now, Ravers said:

I feel so tempted to do it! I did my first playthrough on Alien Isolation on the hardest difficulty without killing any humans and that provided quite the challenge and for some reason I think this game will provide the same challenge.

I personally found shadow ranger to be more irritating because of the random deaths and was happy that i did ranger hardcore first as practice in stealth.

Seriously, if you just save up on MGR rounds, hardcore is very easy! And i had more than 1000 rounds at the end cause i was super cautious so hardly using them. Would have been even easier.

There is just one hard section (no spoilers but a guide will tell you) that you can get through with little effort if you know what to do. 

Don't be scared of this, you won't get stuck as long as you know your button layouts and are ready to load a couple of checkpoints. Good luck if you go for it!

1 hour ago, Ravers said:

Yes. I think that AI gets much smarter on Ranger Hardcore.

Maybe I will start by doing Normal difficulty while aiming for Shadow Ranger and then after that I will start Ranger Hardcore. Thank you both for your comments!

51 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The A.I is much smarter and most of the HUD is removed, plus supplies are harder to find.

It's been a couple years so I forgot a lot about the specifics. 

12 minutes ago, Ravers said:

Instead of saying this for the 2 comments above this one and here, I'll just say it here.

Ranger Hardcore is not the issue. Shadow Ranger is. With the AI being smarter the moment you're spotted you're fucked. You'll have to start the entire game over. (unless there are workarounds with USBs I'm not aware of)

^in addition to this there is a section where it is just about impossible to know if you got by it without the AI killing themselves by mistake until you finish the game. So yeah while you'll finish the game on RH it'll will have probably been a needlessly annoying venture if you don't also unlock Shadow Ranger.

EDIT: Disregard the crossed out bit. I was getting mixed up with something on Exodus.

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

I would definitely not advise doing shadow ranger and RH in the same playthrough!

Enemies hit hard on RH and you will need your ammo. There are sections where you will have to punch dudes and getting there in RH is practically impossible.

But as Avatar states here above, glitches and deaths unknown to you are your wordt enemies in SR. I had complete frozen enemies in multiple sections but luckily i just walked through those and still got the trophy ?

I did ranger hardcore in my first play through after revisiting this game after 3 years so I had pretty much forgotten everything and it wasnt too bad at all. 

I then did a separate playthrough for shadow ranger which was difficult, but not too bad as all the maps were fresh in my mind. 

4 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I was reading your guide and you say that we cannot earn the trophy if we chapter select. When I played the first 10 chapters on normal, sometimes the NPC got stuck and the only solution was to go to the main menu and select the chapter again. This will void the trophy? That happened at least 2 times to me, if we can't select chapters like this, it will be a pain.

EDIT: Welp, I totally missed the part that you mention this only applies if you don't start on Ranger Hardcore.

Edited by Ravers

6 hours ago, Ravers said:

I purchased the Complete Edition since I am aiming for the 100%.

So I played a few hours on normal difficulty, and reached chapter 10

Did you purchase the digital complete edition?

If so you may want to pay attention to 2 trophies first , Diver and Shadow, complete editions are notorious for being buggy as hell when it comes to those trophies, that may render obtaining the platinium damn near impossible.

Edited by hsn963

12 minutes ago, hsn963 said:

Did you purchase the digital complete edition?

If so you may want to pay attention to 2 trophies first , Diver and Shadow, complete editions are notorious for being buggy as hell when it comes to those trophies, that may render obtaining the platinium damn near impossible.

Yes, I did bought the Digital Complete Edition. I have read about some bugs, but nothing about Diver and Shadow. Are you referring to Shadow Ranger or simply to Shadow where you need to Stealthily kill 15 enemies?

If those both trophies bug for me, can I somehow complete all other trophies and then delete my save file, start from scratch and focus only on those two trophies?

33 minutes ago, Ravers said:

Yes, I did bought the Digital Complete Edition. I have read about some bugs, but nothing about Diver and Shadow. Are you referring to Shadow Ranger or simply to Shadow where you need to Stealthily kill 15 enemies?

If those both trophies bug for me, can I somehow complete all other trophies and then delete my save file, start from scratch and focus only on those two trophies?

If it helps ease your fears a bit, I bought the complete edition digitally as well and neither of those trophies were bugged for me. I have no idea if there's specific things that cause the glitches but I remember going for both the moment I had the opportunity and it worked.

As far as I remember it's tied to the digital edition so the only possible workaround I read was buying a physical copy. (Idk if this has since changed)