Sony acquires Insomniac Games

MidnightDragon

5 minutes ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

Umm wasn't Spiderman a PS4 exclusive though

They've done several Sony exclusives over the years, but they were not a Sony owned studio. One of their last games before Spider-Man was Sunset Overdrive which was actually Xbox/PC, so this just means that moving forward they're a Sony owned company.

Edited by UrbanGoblin

Took them long enough. With how Insomniac basically only did Playstation exclusives, with some exception here or there like Sunset Overdrive, it was bound to happen.

Let's see if Sunset will come out for Playstation since I read that Insomniac owns the IP and not Microsoft.

• Like 4

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Microsoft owns the game, Insomniac owns the IP. We can still get a sequel or a reboot of it.

My source is Insomniac's Twitter account (Google it). Can't link it on my phone very well.

Yeah i just edited my post with same link :)

• Like 1

From what I understand, Sony have attempted to acquire Insomniac several times in the past, but they could never reach a deal. Sony must have spent a fortune to do this, especially considering how wildly successful Insomniac's Spider-Man game was. This should have happened a long time ago.

4 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Sunset Drive on PS4 or PS5, perhaps?

1 minute ago, Vergil said:

Microsoft has probably the rights to the ip

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sony now owns the Sunset Overdrive IP (retaining the IP was a major reason why they made it an Xbox exclusive), but Microsoft still have the publishing rights to the first game on console, at least for the time being. We may get a PlayStation port years from now if/when that runs out, but we'll see.

• Like 4

Like a lot of you I am hoping for a Sunset Overdrive release. Maybe if they do SO2 they will release the first one as a tie-in or something.

I am OK with Resistance being over. The story has been told and I would like to see new things coming out.

Honestly I wished this happened earlier because if Sony owned Insomniac we wouldn't have had EA mess with Fuse and go from "super fun characters" to "super serious characters" 

Don't get me wrong I still liked Fuse but from the original concept to the released product it was vastly different.

It's been such a long time since they last acquired a major studio, that it seemed like they were moving away from that strategy. I'm glad to see them back at it with Microsoft being as aggressive as they have been lately.

1 minute ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

not big news at all .. I mean they where only making games for Sony anyways! Only game was not (sunset Overdrive) Sony just wasted money on this!! The studio pretty much was making only Sony games anyways! SIGH SONY!  

Sony still had to pay them for the exclusive games. I'm sure they considered the value proposition of continuing to do that for the PS5 over simply acquiring them.

Edited by DaikichiKawachi

4 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

It's been such a long time since they last acquired a major studio, that it seemed like they were moving away from that strategy. I'm glad to see them back at it with Microsoft being as aggressive as they have been lately.

Sony still had to pay them for the exclusive games. I'm sure they considered the value proposition of continuing to do that for the PS5 over simply acquiring them.

True but all that aside they were always a Sony first party studio! Lets be real here sony were going to get 99.99 % exclusives anyways if this deal was not going to happen anyways! So, thus news is nothing to be honest :)

Edited by Titanomachy_75

4 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

True but all that aside they were always a Sony first party studio! Lets be real here sony were going to get 99.99 % exclusives anyways if this deal was not going to happen anyways! So, thus news is nothing to be honest :)

If the status quo remained, sure, but if Microsoft knew they were for sale then I'm sure they would have made an offer.