MidnightDragon

Sony acquires Insomniac Games

73 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just want more Cratchets! (Ratchet & Clank)

Not sure how likely that is now... or ever was going to be after the mediocre movie/game reboot (seen the movie, have yet to replay the game), but I've remained hopeful for many years.

10 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

True but all that aside they were always a Sony first party studio! Lets be real here sony were going to get 99.99 % exclusives anyways if this deal was not going to happen anyways! So, thus news is nothing to be honest :)

RARE made 100% exclusive games for Nintendo until Microsoft bought them up...so just because you have a good partnership doesn't mean that lasts forever.

Insomniac lost the rights to Spyro and Activision made a fortune off of that brand.

Insomniac made Song of the Deep and Fuse multiplatform. They made Sunset Overdrive, Edge of Nowhere and other games exclusive for other platformers (not Sony).

So if RARE can be bought away from Nintendo what makes you think Insomniac couldn't as well?

7 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

RARE made 100% exclusive games for Nintendo until Microsoft bought them up...so just because you have a good partnership doesn't mean that lasts forever.

Insomniac lost the rights to Spyro and Activision made a fortune off of that brand.

Insomniac made Song of the Deep and Fuse multiplatform. They made Sunset Overdrive, Edge of Nowhere and other games exclusive for other platformers (not Sony).

So if RARE can be bought away from Nintendo what makes you think Insomniac couldn't as well?

JUst saying this is not big news .. thats all :) 

Good news. Eager for Resistance trilogy remaster.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

If the status quo remained, sure, but if Microsoft knew they were for sale then I'm sure they would have made an offer.

True but ...We all know where there heart stands it was always SONY .. Just saying this isn't  big news :)

Edited by Titanomachy_75

14 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just want more Cratchets! (Ratchet & Clank)

Not sure how likely that is now... or ever was going to be after the mediocre movie/game reboot (seen the movie, have yet to replay the game), but I've remained hopeful for many years.

I've not seen the movie but the game was far from mediocre. It sold better then expected, reviewed well and it is pretty much a given at this point that a sequel to the reboot is in the works.

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Today, Sony announced they have acquired Insomniac Games.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/19/sony-acquires-spider-man-ps4-developer-insomniac-games

So like the olden days then, with PSOne. 

1 hour ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

Umm wasn't Spiderman a PS4 exclusive though

Because Sony has rights to the Spider-Man franchise, probably, considering the movies. 

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

From what I understand, Sony have attempted to acquire Insomniac several times in the past, but they could never reach a deal. Sony must have spent a fortune to do this, especially considering how wildly successful Insomniac's Spider-Man game was. This should have happened a long time ago.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sony now owns the Sunset Overdrive IP (retaining the IP was a major reason why they made it an Xbox exclusive), but Microsoft still have the publishing rights to the first game on console, at least for the time being. We may get a PlayStation port years from now if/when that runs out, but we'll see.

Hopefully it comes to PlayStation. Considering there was a time when Titanfall was Xbox-exclusive, but Titanfall 2 came to PS4. Same for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If it has to be a sequel instead of a port, one would expect them to make it adaptable to newcomers like me. 

1 hour ago, DEI2EK said:

Sony probably already has them working on Spider-Man 2 

If Mysterio or symbiotes get featured, I'm all in. I'm in regardless of the storyline, but if they feature Silk, I'd be thrilled. Wonder if Spidey's clones will be adapted eventually. 

30 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

mediocre movie/game reboot

Huh? I liked the game well enough. I just hate forced playthroughs, but eventually I'll go for the plats. I liked the reboot more than the PS3 game. 

I just feel like Sony is just going to have them make Spider-Man games constantly that I won't play.

Which is why I'm saying RIP Ratchet & Clank franchise.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

JUst saying this is not big news .. thats all :) 

You're right,. 

OK everyone, from now on until we colonize Mars or World War 3 starts no more posting any threads on this gaming website. We need to save the space for big news only.

2 hours ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

True but ...We all know where there heart stands it was always SONY .. Just saying this isn't  big news :)

Also did you read what I wrote? RARE was with Nintendo since the NES until the N64 exclusively...until Microsoft bought them.

Insomniac has already made games for other systems so it isn't a stretch that Microsoft could buy them up.

I am just really confused why you are choosing this hill to die on when there are dozens of stupid threads opened every week.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

This is a loooooong time coming. They were probably the closest to a first party studio of all the third party studios out there! 

Will be interesting to see if there are any noticeable changes going forward, considering pretty much all their output was PS exclusives anyway. 

I feel like it wasn’t that long ago that there was new thread after new thread of studio closures. I thought that Insomniac had a steady source of good ideas and work that afforded them some great freedom. Makes me wonder what they were offered at this point in time and hope I don’t read about them being shut down by Sony in another few years.

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I feel like it wasn’t that long ago that there was new thread after new thread of studio closures. I thought that Insomniac had a steady source of good ideas and work that afforded them some great freedom. Makes me wonder what they were offered at this point in time and hope I don’t read about them being shut down by Sony in another few years.

Please don't jinx them. I would hate for my childhood studio to die. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I wonder if finally bringing the resistance trilogy to ps4 is now in the works.

4 hours ago, Vergil said:

I honestly hope they do a new Resistance. I had fun with those!

Same here. Enjoyed the resistance series (although I couldn’t finish up R3 as it would run properly on my HDD. Here’s hoping they do and they don’t add a crazy ass MP trophy set like R2’s before the servers Blessed those with 11k kills lol

Edited by kidson2004

I see this as a bad move for Insomniac and gamers, but at least a few people at Insomniac should have pocketed serious money. Sony has a lot of corporate incompetence and stupidity, and they will be the ones making the decisions.

The only probable reason this happened was because someone else was interested in them or they were developing things for other platforms.

Posted (edited)

I never actually thought that this would happen. Insomnia always stated that their independence was a core part of their DNA, and have apparently turned down offers from Sony before. This is actually a major shock, but the good kind. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Also in the official press release, it states that financial terms of the acquisition will not be disclosed. Given the size and reputation of Insomniac, this is probably an expensive deal.

Edited by communistwookiee

Finally! ❤🏆

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Spider-Man looks like it's already primed to be a very successful series.

Sony has had the rights to Resistance for years now and has done nothing with it, so I don't think we should expect this to change anything. Although I do wonder if Bluepoint is working on a remastered Resistance trilogy similar to what they did with Uncharted. 

4 hours ago, Vergil said:

I honestly hope they do a new Resistance. I had fun with those!

this, many many times, this. i can just picture these games in HD (future titles, not just remakes)

Well, finally. Great job, SIE.

Yes, Resistance is a fun and cool series I'd love to see come back, also.

4 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Universal originally owned the rights on the PSOne games. They were transferred to Vivendi Universal after they were bought out in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyro

This is great news. Outside of Sony acquiring an excellent studio with many IP's I'd like to see more of (Ratchet and Clank and Resistance especially) this, more than anything shows they not getting to complacent. Sony is still working to try and stay on top in this so called gaming battleground. Microsoft and even Nintendo started picking up additional third party developers to better their portfolios, now it's Sony's turn. 

56 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

Universal originally owned the rights on the PSOne games.

That is not big news...just saying.

5 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

That is not big news...just saying.

Image result for well that's like your opinion man gif

but thanks for playing...